Have You Ever Talked To Yourself (in a serious manor)
  • Tonight I did something I've never done before. I looked into the mirror, looked into my eyes, and asked myself "what are you doing?" I then deduced what it was that was bothering me, what I wanted to change, and whether I would actually make the changes. It was quite the personal experience, as stupid as it might sound, and it really put me in a better spot; or at least helped me identify what I think I need to do to be happy again.

Anyway, has anyone else shared a similar experience? ... or have I lost it? :)
  • I think out load, so I talk to myself all the time. I've never actually looked at myself in the mirror and started talking, no. As for you loosing "it". You'll be fine as long you continue to realize that your talking to yourself, and not another personality.
  • Same as Fabled, your a new kind of insane slix. It wasn't so bad till I got used to talking to the wall while skyping.
  • No, I never talk to myself.
  • NewAgeRed said:
    No, I never talk to myself.

That's what you think, Red. but I think you're lying.
  • No, I have never talked to myself in a large posh house, regardless of it's attitude.

CRC
  • I do it all the time. though most of the time it's me just playing around with voices. I'll try and think up a scene and just playout the scene with different characters which are all me; I also think out loud like fable mentioned (which I've done sense I was a kid).
  • nope i am sane! :p
  • Looks like Im crazy!
  • Never out loud. I'm way too shy and quiet for that.
  • i do it at work sometimes, and i know some of my co-workers think im crazy because i wont do it when people are around but i will walk around while talking and sometimes someone will be in the room i am walking into as i am talking.
  • I've always firmly believed that you're clinically insane if you don't talk to yourself.
  • I talk and joke with myself all the time. Honestly I think it is one of the only ways i keep myself sane because I don't like making myself vulnerable to other other people.
  • I talk to myself to drowned out all the voices!
  • Capriciousness said:
    No, I have never talked to myself in a large posh house, regardless of it's attitude.

Surprised everybody's no-sold this. Slix, in the future the correct term is "manner". :)
  • Chip said:
    Surprised everybody's no-sold this. Slix, in the future the correct term is "manner". :)

• i walk around and go through possible conversations with myself.I.E. I thought of myself being in a world like the road or fallout post apocalypse and mumbled some situations.Not much talking,but still psychotic.
  • Chip said:

Now I've been recognised for my comedic genius, yes, I talk to myself a lot while playing sport, especially golf.

CRC
  • Most people spend 80% of their time talking to themselves and just never realize it. You're fine, I do it all the time when I'm thinking about something.
  • The only time I really talk to myself out loud would be when I play games and I screw up and I'll yell at myself. I do have conversations with myself in my head.
    I have a related question, how does a person who's born deaf and never heard any language think?
  • x0xligerzerox0x said:
    The only time I really talk to myself out loud would be when I play games and I screw up and I'll yell at myself. I do have conversations with myself in my head.
    I have a related question, how does a person who's born deaf and never heard any language think?

yep, this is what i do also, when i talk inside my brain, using your vocal cords is inefficient, hang a hands free plug in your ear when you speak out loud makes you look less loony.

Oh and a deaf person thinks in a way that makes sense to him/her, probably in images or symbols.
  • It's a good question: your thinking is limited by your language and the concepts it can explain well. I don't know the answer.

CRC
  • somaliangangsterpuff said:
    i walk around and go through possible conversations with myself.I.E. I thought of myself being in a world like the road or fallout post apocalypse and mumbled some situations.Not much talking,but still psychotic.

I do the same thing. I plan out who conversations could go so I avoid being caught off guard.
  • That implies you need language to think. That's not the case. How many times have you found yourself unable to find the right word for a thought or an emotion you are experiencing? It happens to everyone. The thought gives birth to the word, not the other way around. That's how all language started. A lack of language (among many other issues) will hamper your ability to express yourself clearly in modern society, but it in no way hampers the ideas running amok in an individual brain every day. Besides that, and more to the point of the question being raised, voiced communication is not our only means of communication with others, or ourselves. There's also the written word. There's nothing to stop a deaf person learning how to read. Deaf people also have sign language, and many can lip read. The point is if they can communicate with others, they can communicate with themselves.
  • good point.

CRC
  • Dr Flibble said:
    That implies you need language to think. That's not the case. How many times have you found yourself unable to find the right word for a thought or an emotion you are experiencing? It happens to everyone. The thought gives birth to the word, not the other way around. That's how all language started. A lack of language (among many other issues) will hamper your ability to express yourself clearly in modern society, but it in no way hampers the ideas running amok in an individual brain every day. Besides that, and more to the point of the question being raised, voiced communication is not our only means of communication with others, or ourselves. There's also the written word. There's nothing to stop a deaf person learning how to read. Deaf people also have sign language, and many can lip read. The point is if they can communicate with others, they can communicate with themselves.

It's interesting you bring this up. One of the counselors at a camp I went to when I was younger was from Turkey and spoke both Turkish and English. Some people asked him what language he 'thought' in and he said English, which I didn't really understand and still don't. In my head it's not like "and now I am thinking about this and now I am thinking about that". It's like fj8943hj 9hyvnpyhvrpy9 p57or;hp9thg dn;lsa, which is then my responsibility to translate to something coherent (whether that be an idea to product, thought to language, etc.) if I want others to understand or experience it.

We have a really broad range of communication mediums to support the complexity of our thoughts, but an interesting question is - are these mediums converging or diverging? It seems like the latter because we constantly develop new shit to express our shitty selves with (language, images, movies, video games, glyphs, etc.), but if we could develop systems that condense and transfer thought perfectly would we need or want any of those things? Binary is a good example of this. A language that can express (arguably) anything and be transferred at nearly the speed of light. Write an interpreter that takes this as input to the body and outputs stimulation of the senses and you get what? I guess that's an extremely materialistic view of the world though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week