Do You Ever Want Children?
  • I was just wondering for those of you without children, do you want to have children in the future? Why or why not?

I plan on it, myself. I think growing a family will be one of the best experiences of my life.
  • Never! The end. :)
  • No. I HATE KIDS! I also like having money and the freedom to do whatever I want, whenever I want. Maybe that'll change in time, but as it stands now, almost 28 years old. I couldn't think of anything worse.
  • Oh! I thought it said CHICKEN... never mind, not want! I'd rather have chicken
  • Sure, it will be great having kids.
  • no interest, it wouldnt be so bad to have one that started at the age of 7 but like Ineptic said, i enjoy having spare change and the ability to go wherever i want whenever i want.
  • No thank you, the world is already filled with people I have no interest in adding to it. Though I do think I'd make an excellent Uncle.

Edit: Also want to thank you for this topic, it was nice not to get your usual extremely sexual off-topic thread.
  • Possibly. I can see myself as a father at some point, but could also see myself childless and rich... Gilligan's idea of skipping to a 7 year old is also something that resonates with me, cause damn, toddlers are annoying and stupid.
  • FearTheLiving said:
    No thank you, the world is already filled with people I have no interest in adding to it. Though I do think I'd make an excellent Uncle.

This is pretty much my thinking, with the addition of the expense and time being deterrents.
    Cool uncle seems like a better position to be in (at least for me) because while your role in their lives is fairly minor, pretty much all of your time with them will be fun time.
  • I don't want kids. Everything I want out of life doesn't include children...in fact having kids would end those plans (travel, gaming, being a musician and making very sporadic livings). I will love it when my sister has the family she wants, as it will be loads of fun to show up and be the crazy Aunt who plays with the kids for a few hours and leaves. But none of my own.

I want a husband, a house, and a dog. Not necessarily in that order. ;)
  • I don't hate children, I think they are kinda adorable, but having them is another story. I just don't see how they could figure into my life, especially right now. There's too much I wanna do and I don't want to be tied down by a child. Giving up everything to focus on one would suck, plus, my alone time is very important to me. Having a kid around constantly needing/wanting attention...no thanks.

Also, I have a crippling fear of pregnancy.
  • FearTheLiving said:
    Edit: Also want to thank you for this topic, it was nice not to get your usual extremely sexual off-topic thread.

Quit being such a little pussy.

Anyway, as for me, I don't want kids.

I once had a very awkward talk with my students when I was teaching Developmental Psychology to them. I had to explain the thought processes of 5 year olds and I talked about how annoying little kids are. Some of my students inquired and I told them a few details:

Aside from costing thousands in hospital bills and doctor checkups, a kid can cost upwards of $500,000 by the time they're 18. I'd rather have that money elsewhere.

(I used my hands to demonstrate size for this one, some of my girl students were laughing pretty good) - The baby's head is the size of a grapefruit and somehow pushes it's way out of a hole roughly the size of a magic marker. The amount of pain that the woman goes through is extrordinary. As a person who would deeply care for a love my wife, I would never wish that amount of pain on anyone. No denying that guys have it easy when it comes to kids, but women's bodies drastically change after giving birth; their hormones go all crazy, their mind changes (like with post-partum stress), and the the weight they gain probably wont leave them feeling too happy about their figure (I've never met a woman who liked gaining weight). I would never want my wife to suffer such crazy problems if she didn't want to.

If I had to have kids, I would adopt. Nobody adopts a kid on accident. I would adopt a child, and when it's old enough to ask me why we had him/her, we could say that we desperately wanted to love and care for a child, and not run the risk of saying something that often results in a child like "Well, your mom was drunk and I was horny, and then 9 months later, you came out." If I can give a great life to a child who would ordinarily not have gotten that, then all the better for society.

As for the rest of all that typical wife stuff, I'm all for it. I want a wife and a great house and all that. Kids are optional.
  • Plankton said:
    Possibly. I can see myself as a father at some point, but could also see myself childless and rich... Gilligan's idea of skipping to a 7 year old is also something that resonates with me, cause damn, toddlers are annoying and stupid.

Well, as a parent I'm probably not welcome in this thread, so tell me to piss off if that's what you want... but that toddler comment is ageist.

It's like saying "All people under 21 are selfish and want what they want now regardless of whether they have earned anything," or "all old people are shit drivers," or "all 35 year olds are contrarian pricks who love to pick holes in the logic of others."

This is EXACTLY the logic used to justify racism and sexism: snap judgements, defining a broad swathe of people, the majority of whom you will never meet, as being negative.

And regardless, toddlers are NOT annoying and stupid: that is simply your opinion. Stop presenting your opinion as a fact! Why is this so hard for people???

Toddlers are far more intelligent than they are often given credit for (fact), case in point the stories people tell about how such & such did this or that which was at a higher level than anyone knew they were capable of. They learn at a faster rate than any other segment or society (apart from babies) - hardly the defining characteristic of someone who is stupid.

As for being annoying: they live in a world full of bigger people: many over twice their size and seven times their weight, who a) many of whom don't understand them and are not willing to make the attempt; b) some of whom have written them off as 'annoying and stupid' (without meeting them, of course); c) are in general, higher on the pecking order than a toddler, therefore the toddler must obey & conform, often without receiving an adequate explanation as to why, and if they don't comply, they are sometimes they subject of 'physical persuasion' (everything from the lightest of smacks to being beaten to death).

Just on the physical discipline, I would say that toddlers in general cop hits more than anyone else in society. I don't see bosses using violence as often to deal with a recalcitrant employee (as much as they might like to). I'm guessing that a good percentage of the population of the world live in societies that even deem in wrong to hurt murders and rapists - but they'll advocate strongly someone's right to hit their child that doesn't understand why he can't have the chocolate bar at the supermarket - that same chocolate bar that some marketing firm has received huge sums of money to design and place in such a fashion to make it irresistible to toddlers.

The world is a scary place for toddlers, full of contradictory rules, casual violence, and people that don't understand them.
    Is it any wonder they occasionaly lose their shit and chuck a tanty in a public place?
    How embarrassing for you, if you're associated with that toddler!
    How you feel sorry for the parent if you aren't, thinking, "look at that annoying and stupid toddler!"

CRC
  • Sorry if you took this thread the wrong way, captain. I don't think anyone has a problem with people having children or children themselves. They just dont want them :) ... I do though, eventually!
  • I actually lied... just so I could make the chicken joke :D I think kids are cool and would love to have one even though I'm totally not ready for one. IMO you gotta go into these things with both feet, it's awesome to see what becomes provided for you. Some may call me a leech but so be it! I don't care. I'm probly never even gonna get married because of this though :x so I guess there's no danger of me ever getting a kid (turned down for adoption for sure...).
  • Way to kill the buzz of this thread, CRC. Plankton didn't do anything wrong when he posted HIS PERSONAL FEELINGS.

Lighten up, seriously.
  • He posted HIS PERSONAL FEELINGS as FACT.

Wake up, seriously.

CRC

Edit: I haven't taken this thread the wrong way. I've responded to a post (from a friend of mine) bagging kids. Sorry if I've 'killed' the toddler-bagging 'buzz' that was going on!
  • Who gives a shit what is fact or not? He was expressing his opinions that toddlers are stupid and annoying. Is the topic title "Do you want to have children? - Defend Your Position with an Educated and Well-Thought Out Arguement?" You hounded him and killed the mood of this topic. He expressed his honest opinion and you cut him down simply because you have a kid and you felt the need to defend your kid?

I'm honestly sorry if this topic deeply offends your 4 year old. We should carefully moderate our forums more to protect the dignity and respect of toddlers everywhere, especially those represented in the Noobtoob army. We should add "Dont insult little kids" under the part of our community's rules about racism and homophobia.

Or maybe we can say "Fuck it, who gives a big damn shit?" because it's not worth the trouble after ruining what once-was a nice little topic with a great chance to add to discussion by every member (as long as you don't hurt anyones feelings/get too opinionated in any context, right?)

On top of all that, there is nothing wrong with what Plankton said. He's a smart guy and he was acting from experience. From what I understand, toddlers aren't that smart. They don't understand abstract concepts, can't think logically, are usually unable to think of other's feelings, and can't fathom even simple concepts like conservation of matter. They clearly aren't as smart as we are and I fully understand Plankton's reasons for saying that. Little kids suck, that's why I don't teach them. I teach older kids because they can think on their own and solve problems independently. As far as the annoying part, I understand that too; toddlers are egocentric, they don't care about their appearances, they smell, sometimes have problems controlling their bodily outputs (which would royally piss me off if that happens anywhere in public), they're also selfish and totally dependent on everything you do, thus making them a huge drag on any plans you might have if you weren't a parent.

To a great extent, they are annoying and stupid. Wow, I could have saved a lot of typing just by saying this line alone. But good thing I didn't (didn't want to get chewed out, afterall).
  • Fuzzy said:
    Quit being such a little pussy.

Oh shut the fuck up, your always talkin shit get off my nuts.

Fuzzy said:
    Way to kill the buzz of this thread, CRC. Plankton didn't do anything wrong when he posted HIS PERSONAL FEELINGS.

Lighten up, seriously.

Oh the irony, such a hypocrite Fuzzy.
  • This topic doesn't 'deeply offend my four year old'. Firstly, I don't have a four year old. Secondly, quit being a facetious prick, how can you be honestly sorry that he's offended - when I never responded on his behalf?

I'm just saying, people bag out toddlers all the time, toddlers have it tough in some ways, and they can't speak up for themselves, so cut them a break. Many of the generalisations in your last post were wrong, BTW, and it is honestly funny to see you calling out being unable to think of the feelings of others as a character flaw - what does that make someone who CAN consider the feelings of others, but just chooses to manipulate them for the sake of amusement?

Quit calling people out Fuzzy - with your pointless internet rage, you just come off as ineffective and inadequate, rather than tough... as has been pointed out to you before...

CRC
  • Oboe echoed my thoughts exactly. Absolutely no interest in having kids, but I'm hoping my sister has some so I can be the fun Aunt. Even then, I'm hoping they come potty-trained and about 5 years old. Old enough to do stuff with. Plus enjoying my sister's kids instead of having my own has the added benefit of being able to RETURN THEM. LOL
  • I'd like to have kids eventually, but there is a lot of shit i'd like to do before that happens. And if i had it my way they'd come out potty trained and with a job. Adoption does sound like a plausible option since the world has enough people on it already.

CapnRedChops said:
    And regardless, toddlers are NOT annoying and stupid: that is simply your opinion. Stop presenting your opinion as a fact! Why is this so hard for people???

I'm not sure what this means. Does someone have to say "i think" before everything they say to qualify it as not a fact but an opinion?
  • I always get nervous if I get a wife who really wants kids and I don't or if I dont want to make the financial sacrafice. I like money, I like spending it how I want. I think things like "I could save money by using cloth diapers" and then I think about what my washing machine would be like washing 20 shitty diapers every other day. Good God, what horror! I gag when I have to pick up my dogs poop while walking him, and I don't have to wipe his ass like a baby either.

I'm sure some relationships have ended because one wants kids and the other doesn't. I would sooner allow my wife to have a kid before we split, but it's still not something I'd really want. I bet my attitude would change once the little bugger pops out of her oven.
  • Veri7as said:

I'm not sure what this means. Does someone have to say "i think" before everything they say to qualify it as not a fact but an opinion?

I think so. 'Toddlers are annoying and stupid' is a statement of fact, 'I think toddlers are annoying and stupid' is a statement of opinion.
    (EDIT: Obviously it doesn't have to be 'I think', there are many other ways to separate opinion and fact, I think it's important that the distinction is made.)

I admit to being on a bit of a crusade here regarding the presentation of opinion as fact: it just burns me up when you see the talking heads on TV or read a piece in the newspaper in which some says something like 'immigrants are a drain on society' which is not only demonstrably wrong in many cases, it's an opinion, but because of the credibility of the talking head, and the way it's presented as fact, many observers / readers take that opinion to BE fact and use that information in their decision making processes as if it was fact, using it to justify everything from how they treat someone in the street, to how they vote.

I'm all for people having whatever opinions they want, although I reserve the right to state my opinion and back it up with facts if I disagree - I just like to see a clear separation between fact and opinion because intentional misrepresentation of fact and opinion is used by the media and others to manipulate the masses.

CRC
  • CapnRedChops said:
    He posted HIS PERSONAL FEELINGS as FACT.

So if I said, "The steak tastes bad", the "in my opinion" part isn't implied?

And I'm calling bullshit if you think Fuzzy is the one raging here. You're getting way too upset over this.
  • I've had arguments like this about stating opinions. Ask Mr.Consistency if you ever see him around. He's wanted to gut me before for the way I come off as commanding rather than offering advice. :) In the end of the day, we've moved on.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week