UFC: Yay or Nay?
  • Do you like UFC? I think it's dumb and pointless. I never cared for boxing and I don't like UFC. The matches seem boring to me; it's two guys flailing their arms and legs at each other until both bloody and one wins. Sometimes they play grab-ass in the corner.

To me, it's just a dumb barbaric back-alley brawl. I don't understand the hype around it. It's just dudes punching.

What do you think? Like it? Hate it? Meh it?
  • is that where they end up on the floor in a strangle hold for 10 minutes? i rather watch K-1 or Thai boxing
  • It's definitely not my thing. Not really into boxing, wrestling or anything similar either, but I don't really see any appeal in watching two muscly, sweaty dudes hugging it out on the floor in the corner of an octagon. The games were alright though, but that's the closest I could come to caring.
  • I'm kinda mixed. A few years back I found a bunch of the very first UFC events to stream, and having first heard about UFC from Friends (the TV show) I decided to give it a try, it sounded cool from what they said about it. I really enjoyed the first few events I watched, loving martial arts movies I loved seeing various fighting styles clash in a real fight. Bruce Lee will have you believe Jeet Kun Do will make you nigh invincible in hand to hand combat judging from his movies, but you had no idea if it would actually work in a real life situation, so it was very cool to see what was legitimate and what was all simply a cat in heat throwing wild punches at someone. I remember after a few events really liking Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn, so when I looked at the card and saw they were fighting I was hyped. The match turned into a 30 minute hug until they were broken up, given an extra 5 minutes and told to go at it again. This time it was only a 5 minute hug. I don't even remember how it ended, I was so bummed out that it was nowhere near the match I had envisioned. In the end I decided to check out some of the current stuff to see how the product evolved and it had turned more into a person vs person attraction, rather then the style vs style fight that I enjoyed.
  • I do like to watch UFC every now and then. But 90% of the time its a hugfest like chip said. Really boring.

Theres this one guy, I forget his name, but I used to love watching him fight because he was bat shit crazy. He'd just rush in and look for the knock out. Really brutal stuff. UFC 140 is the latest event I enjoyed watching.

There arn't enough entertaining fighters an thats the problem for me. Whats entertaining isn't always whats technically best, some fighters are looser and their transitions just make you stand in awe, managing to turn a situation on its head, a real joy to watch, but they're few and far between in my experience.
  • Starting to warm up to it.

I am a huge boxing fan. I am a huge wrasslin' fan. UFC is the blandest of them all since there's no theater around it, it's truly populated with vanilla fighters for the most part. However, for me, a big part of it is the actuality that ANYTHING can happen in a fight that keeps me interested.
  • I hate it how they continue to punch after a dude is clearly knocked out and lying on the floor.

In real (read: not set up in advance) fights it is hard to stop punching the second the other dude is knocked out / gives in, I do admit this, but really, the dude is has stopped protecting himself, head lolling, and you're gonna hit him five or six more times?

That's just sick. They'll be following the UFC with live seal clubbing next.

CRC
  • I enjoy it when actual fighting and not guys hugging on the floor. When a guy flips in the air and kicks a dude in the face, that's cool. It all depends on the fights, and how they go. I've seen some very good fights, and I've seen some incredibly boring one's. Still, I continue to watch because I usually get a few "holy shit" moments out of a show, and that's what I'm looking for.
  • CapnRedChops said:
    I hate it how they continue to punch after a dude is clearly knocked out and lying on the floor.

In real (read: not set up in advance) fights it is hard to stop punching the second the other dude is knocked out / gives in, I do admit this, but really, the dude is has stopped protecting himself, head lolling, and you're gonna hit him five or six more times?

That's just sick. They'll be following the UFC with live seal clubbing next.

CRC

I can agree in theory. But if they wanna win they have to trust the ref to stop it. I've seen fighters stop thinking the guy is gone the ref has to stop this. The ref doesn't and the pause was enough for the opponent to get into a better defensive position and hold out for the bell.

Can't really blame them after you've seen that a few times. Good refs know when to stop it. An are quick to act.
  • i never liked boxing aside from seeing who tyson was going to beat in the first round but obviously that was back in the day and i havnt watched since. i was a huge wrestling fan of the wwf up until tito santana retired since then i have only seen a handful of wrestling matches. those 2 statements might tell you i used to like fighting but i also needed someone to root for, once the person i rooted for was gone, my interest was gone. i wont put on a ufc fight at home but the bartender at my local pub is a big fan and he gets all the pay per views and anything else that is on. its great to watch at the bar as a distraction from when there is nothing going on in the bar but if i was in a game of pool/darts/chatting up a lady, i could care less about the fight.
    the only fighter i will turn on the tv to see is urijah faber and like the others, when he retires im sure i wont care a bit about ufc or mma.
  • Ineptic said:
    I can agree in theory. But if they wanna win they have to trust the ref to stop it. I've seen fighters stop thinking the guy is gone the ref has to stop this. The ref doesn't and the pause was enough for the opponent to get into a better defensive position and hold out for the bell.

Can't really blame them after you've seen that a few times. Good refs know when to stop it. An are quick to act.

Well then. I that's how it is I'm not interested.

I'm one of those old school 'knock you down, give you a chance to concede or get to your feet' dudes.

CRC
  • CapnRedChops said:
    Well then. I that's how it is I'm not interested.

I'm one of those old school 'knock you down, give you a chance to concede or get to your feet' dudes.

CRC

while that is an honorable way to fight it wouldnt make much sense in a sport where you can sit on your opponents stomach and punch him until he gathers the strength to get you off of him.
  • If you like hardcore gay sex then this might be for you.
  • lesbian sex?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week