Games Only Podcast 23 - FFXIII-2, HP vs Dark Souls Round 2, and more
  • [center][youtube]jKtuuya88pA[/youtube][/center]

Doc and Sunny let you know if FFXIII-2 is worth your time...so far. Also, HP elaborates and updates us with his progress in Dark Souls. HP also plays some Saint's Row 3 DLC and lets you know if it's worth the money, and Sunny finishes the LA Noire DLC.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/gamesonly/GOP23.mp3
  • HP is hilarious. This week's awesome comment is "I don't know how people can compare Dark Souls to Skyrim" and then spends the entire ramble comparing them. "Well Dark Souls does blah, while Skyrim does blah, and Skyrim's blah appeals to me more because blah blah blah I'm a bitch blah". :p I'm glad he's finally realized they can't be played in the same way though. They are totally different experiences. Dark Souls doesn't freeze or glitch or spazz out every half hour for example. Oh, and the gameplay is pretty different too :)

Let's compare the thrills and excitement of the 2 games, kept fair by using a creature common to both games, and Skyrim's big selling point: Dragons... I wonder which game will deliver the more nail-biting heart-pounding thrillfest that let's face it, facing down with a dragon would and should be? Let's look!

[video=youtube;8Tm_s2eLGFc]

...yeah, fuck Skyrim.

Regarding LA Noire I played all but the last DLC case that was released and they were largely unremarkable imo. For $2 or however much it was I guess it's OK but for $6 they were kinda ass. I beat most of them in around 30 minutes iirc.

Rayman was crap back in the day, and I still don't care about it now. As a character he's totally uninteresting, ditto the game world. It's one platformer series I just could never bring myself to give a shit about. I'd rather a Jill of the Jungle or Commander Keen reboot than bloody Rayman. I don't know about the US, was Rayman a popular series there? Popular enough to warrant the amount of chances he's been given? I also can't understand why Ubi is intent on seeing him succeed. Is there some messed up pride issues at play or what? Is it because it was made by the guy who did beyond Good & Evil and there's some blind fanboyism at play? The old Rayman games were bleh (imo of course), and the character has been forced upon totally unrelated games for who knows whatever reason (and dropped again just as quickly because nobody gives a toss. Look at Raving Rabbids, even the rabbits are more popular than Rayman. He doesn't even appear in the games anymore). Just let the limbless fucktard die and try something new Ubi!

Oh yeah, and good episode guys.
  • Shit me, I'm no less than three episodes behind. Shall be playing catch up whilst doing DIY over the weekend...
  • Yknow, I honestly don't know why Rayman continues to get chance after chance after chance. My first experience with Rayman was with the Dreamcast release, and it was a Super Mario 64 style platformer, and I wasn't hooked. I don't know why it still comes out.

Also for the Dark Souls/Skyrim comparison, we could compare shooting 1 arrow in the tail of the red dragon to the Skyrim dragons that fly backwards at 2x the speed, or never land. :)
  • loved the episode guys! I dropped off of TOR as well, but I just got bored of it, rather than having something better to do...
  • Are you kidding Rayman 2 was amazing.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    HP is hilarious. This week's awesome comment is "I don't know how people can compare Dark Souls to Skyrim" and then spends the entire ramble comparing them...

Let's compare the thrills and excitement of the 2 games, kept fair by using a creature common to both games, and Skyrim's big selling point: Dragons... I wonder which game will deliver the more nail-biting heart-pounding thrillfest that let's face it, facing down with a dragon would and should be? Let's look!

All of the "comparisons" we made were mostly satirical. I think we even mentioned that the only thing in common is the fact that they have dragons. I guess you fell into that one.

HP makes a valid point as to why he enjoys Skyrim more than Dark Souls. He does not wish to be reminded that he is playing a game. Skyrim is a more immersive game to him. He can play it and the hours melt away, even if he likes doing menial crap like making potions. With Dark Souls on the other hand, he is constantly reminded that it is a game. Because of this, I can see why he likes one more than the other. I'm happy that he's sticking with his convictions on this one.
  • Dr Gumaer said:
    HP makes a valid point as to why he enjoys Skyrim more than Dark Souls. He does not wish to be reminded that he is playing a game. Skyrim is a more immersive game to him. He can play it and the hours melt away, even if he likes doing menial crap like making potions. With Dark Souls on the other hand, he is constantly reminded that it is a game. Because of this, I can see why he likes one more than the other. I'm happy that he's sticking with his convictions on this one.

Which is completely insane, though. I feel the complete opposite. Everything that happened in Skyrim smacked of 'gameyness'
  • Sorry Dr Gums, I'm with Sunny. HP sounds like he is on crack. All this buying into the Dark Souls "meta game schmeta game" bullshit is just that, bullshit. It's a game. And so is Skyrim. Skyrim is for people who want a game with no challenge, Dark Souls isn't. And that's all there is to it. Both have deep worlds, and dragons.

As for the comparisons, you can't cop out and say we were comparing how "dissimilar" they are. You're still comparing them aren't you? Or has the meaning of "compare" changed? All I will say is for an opinion about Dark Souls I heard a LOT of mention of Skyrim, which should be odd if what HP and yourself say is true.
  • If you like to compare apples to oranges, be my guest.

Skyrim didn't do it for me, but if that's the style of game HP enjoys, who are you to tell him that he is full of it? If you want to continue fishing for comparisons, be my guest. Dark Souls is the superior game to you (and to me), but HP is not wrong for liking Skyrim more. I feel like he explained himself well as to why he prefers one over the other.

Plus the main reason why we even brought up the comparison is because after last week's show, people were comparing them. For that, we are sorry for appeasing our listeners.
  • :D So now I'm the bad guy for calling YOU out on comparisons YOU made?

And just where are all these comparisons to Skyrim your devoted listeners made last week? I can't seem to find them. No, you did that all yourselves.

Where did I ever say he can't like Skyrim more than Dark Souls? I just find his inconsistencies odd.

And they were all your comparisons dude, don't try to paint me or anyone else as the ones who started it. Trying to appease your listeners? Give me a fucking break. How far up your own arse are you? You're the uninteresting 3rd wheel on a podcast listened to by almost nobody. Consider it a question to reflect on, and consider yourself one less listener.
  • Man, Skyrim is cause for all the world's ills. I wish that game had never existed.

That being said, I'm starting to sour some more in FFXIII-2.

Academia 400AF spoilers:
    Spoiler:

What jackass felt that filling a stage with pushover enemies that give nearly NO gains when beating them was a good idea for the level? This is a horrible place, and so is Augusta Tower. What the piss. Horrible design so far.
  • Sunflower said:

Academia 400AF spoilers:
    Spoiler:

What jackass felt that filling a stage with pushover enemies that give nearly NO gains when beating them was a good idea for the level? This is a horrible place, and so is Augusta Tower. What the piss. Horrible design so far.

I just hit that part last night as well. I felt exactly the same.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    And just where are all these comparisons to Skyrim your devoted listeners made last week? I can't seem to find them. No, you did that all yourselves.

You did:

Dr Flibble said:
    So HP spends 90 hours collecting petals for potions in Skyrim and loves it, but 10 minutes going back through an area in Dark Souls is a deal breaker? Aaaand Mr Methodical Nice'n'Slow misses the most important NPC and every tutorial message in the game. Funny stuff...

Dark Souls YAY!
    Skyrim BOO!

But let's just drop it since this is obviously going nowhere.

Expect more FFXIII-2 next week and hopefully I get to play a bit of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning before the show.
  • Great show as always, guys, even if hp was hating on Dr. F's baby (Dark Souls). :)
  • Dr Flibble said:
    and consider yourself one less listener.

This is literally the best news I've gotten all week.
    How dare you callously attack one of my cohosts and then have the audacity to think we give a shit whether or not you listen. Consider one-third of the podcast listened to by almost nobody to be ecstatic that we are down one listener.
  • Dear Games Only Podcast fellas,

Since you're apparently "down one listener," after this week's show, and even though I'm busy often, I will make extra effort to listen to your show now, starting with this one. That should make up for the little spat in this thread. What is the best way for me to listen? Youtube or lisbyn?

Love
    ~FH
  • Um, either way listening is fine. And I would sincerely appreciate it if we could move on before it gets uglier. Let's talk about something else.

For those of you who played FFXIII and did not go out and grab FFXIII-2, why? Did FFXIII do enough harm to keep you from the series for a while?
  • Fuzzy said:
    What is the best way for me to listen? Youtube or lisbyn?

Considering Sunny is just happy for any listeners, I'm gonna suggest YouTube. Easier to help build the show on YouTube then Libsyn what with "likes" sharing it with friends and making the show look better. That and if the episodes start to get consistent views YouTube may throw a partnership that way which helps with getting featured~!
  • Chip said:
    Considering Sunny is just happy for any listeners, I'm gonna suggest YouTube. Easier to help build the show on YouTube then Libsyn what with "likes" sharing it with friends and making the show look better. That and if the episodes start to get consistent views YouTube may throw a partnership that way which helps with getting featured~!

That and Chip does the youtube for the show so he needs to pimp his portion! Much appreciated Chip.
  • Dr Gumaer said:
    That and Chip does the youtube for the show so he needs to pimp his portion! Much appreciated Chip.

Haha, nah, it just seems like it'd be the better way for you guys to grow, and in turn, gives exposure to the channel and other UGC as well as the site itself. With LibSyn the only people that are gonna find it are those that either already come to the site or follow you guys on the twitters.
  • Honestly, the more people watch or listen to it, the better. I want to continue to improve. I think so far our idea of only talking about games and not being bogged down in non-game shit (like cartoons! or star wars! or...) has served us well. If you have an episode of GOP, you will get game talk close to when it begins, not 30 minutes after some...food taste test or "how was your weekend" a lot of podcasts waste your time with.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week