Looking at something in a completely different way.
  • Last night I was laying in bed, finishing up Mick Foley's Countdown to Lockdown book, and near the end he writes about a discussion he had with fellow wrestler Al Snow. Strangely the discussion was about who the bad guy of the Wizard of Oz was, as I'm sure most of us would have said, Mick say's it's the Wicked Witch. Al states that it is in fact The Wizard as he tricked Dorothy into killing the Wicked Witch, when all the Wicked Witch wanted was the shoes of her dead sister that her killer had stolen and was wearing. Looking back at it in a different light it's understandable why she would be pissed, I would be too. Turns out Al had read "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" (which was the basis for the broadway musical). I put the book down on my lap a little mind blown by this and how it actually makes a ton of sense. Then I got to thinking, there has to be more view points like these that are just as mind blowing.

So, did you read anything or talk to anyone that has made you look at things such as pieces of media and even personal events in a completely different light, and partially blown your mind as a result? If it's about a newer piece of media probably best to stick it in spoiler tags, and label accordingly.
  • some of you may have heard the song "good" by better than ezra. it sounds like a happy song and if you listen to the chorus you think it is a happy song. but if you listen to the whole song you realize that its about his girlfriend leaving him and he is sitting around alone. and my mind was blown when i realized the whole album was a happy sounding album but if you listen closely, it is anything but.
  • The Dice Man, by Luke Reinhardt.

CRC

do you see the arrow :3
  • Makers, by Cory Doctorow
    ^ totally changed the way I interpret tech startups and entrepreneurship. You basically really have to be someone who's willing to take life by the balls and make it squeal... In other words, be extraordinarily unafraid of risk.

As far as history goes, reading Jack Whyte's Skystone series gave an interesting and FICTIONAL viewpoint that the arthurian legends were actually bred out of post-roman British living; how people banded together to make Camelot by communally living and working on former roman estates. The books are very long and a bit of a tough slog at times but the concepts in them are very well researched, and the plot wiil keep you hooked, even if it is slow-going.

I think this is why I like historical fiction rather than non-fiction; it always gives you a different point of view from the norm, expresses a different part of the story you might not have thought about.

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
    don't read this book unless you want to become an apathetic uninvolved when it comes to politics; this book depressed the shit out of me precisely because it turned on so many lights about how the world works. I blame my cynicism on Machiavelli. For reals. Just so you're aware, before I read this book I wanted to get into politics and change the world... so yeah. Bit of a debbie downer.
  • eh... the Bible xD /took the easy way out
  • This article about the crisis of leadership in our country right now. When I read it, I was agasp at how remarkably astute it was at explaining exactly what has been happening at my own job as well as others (the Heart of Darkness quote and analysis was amazing). I actually had to hold myself back from making multiple print-outs and handing them out at the next staff meeting complete with highlighted sections.

http://theamericanscholar.org/solitude-and-leadership/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week