Access to too much information?
  • Does anyone else ever sometimes feel like we have access to too much information about pretty much everything at this point? I know there's the old "Knowledge is power" saying but there's also the saying of never showing the secret behind the magic trick. I feel the latter has been tossed aside, and as a result "knowledge is power" is quickly becoming a false saying. There is no power in knowledge everyone has access to. There is no magic to anything anymore either which has no doubt greatly effected a good variety of businesses. I'll end here before I ramble on about nonsensical shit, because my thoughts on it aren't clear yet, which made writing this, and justifying my feelings annoyingly hard.
  • I think the worse problem is access to so much MISinformation. Man, it's upsetting.
  • Nope, I don't think so. What are the downsides to having access to information?
  • Maxim said:
    Nope, I don't think so. What are the downsides to having access to information?

It ruins the magic behind a lot of things once you know how they are done. It can change your entire outlook on almost everything, take the actual performance of Magic for example, once everyone knew the tricks behind the simpler stuff, it was no longer entertaining. Now to be entertaining magicians have to spend weeks covered in ice or set their nipples on fire for days and somehow not get hurt by it. It forced Magic to reach an extreme that it can no longer progress from, it's made people numb to even the most dangerous tricks, which is why Magic has seemingly died, at least in my experience. All parties would have been better off never finding out the trick behind the magic, I can sit there entertained by a simple trick, and the magician can make money without having to swing swords at his bollocks.
  • What.......exactly do you mean?You mean with the internet these days or what?I will say that alot of things have gotten shoved down my throat so much in media that when I try to figure things out to discover myself the "magic" so to speak has been sucked out from when I was younger.Like how before each week of football there's tons of analysis and stats and bullshit,which doesn't mean anything when those games start but it takes any surprise out of say a high scoring game that sounds amazing on paper but thanks to all the shit and analysis it ruins the excitement.Then again you can avoid that information.Or a super hyped up game like UC3.I saw alot of trailers and footage when riding the hype train and then I heard about all the set pieces which,although awesome when I played it,they didn't blow my mind like I thought they would because of easy access to footage,trailers,etc. of them.Again though,I could of avoided them.I guess what I'm saying is you only need to know what you need to know,it's really your decision to go deeper and learn more.Unless you mean internet privacy and what people post on here.In that case,maybe so.I mean the fact that anybody can get angles of my house and see how much it's worth how old I am,my parent,sisters,etc. our address,phone number,etc. without asking for some of it and telemarketers can just snag our number and phone spam us,or companies knowing my email without me knowing who or what they are,or any of the shit on facebook(although that's your choice to show that stuff,but with people having 400 "friends" and allowing them to see that stuff without noticing they can,yes their a n idiot for letting that float out there,but I imagine that's the main cause of all those Facebook related murders/rapes of teens.).Also,that thing with facebook reminds me that the huge amount of information out there is sort of like a flea market/thrift store/garage sale;some of its really cool or useful,but some of it's just unneccesary.I.E. Do people really need to know what your phone number is in phonebooks,because I can pull any poor suckers # out of there and harass him,not that I would.Sorry,I don't really know if that's what you mean.
  • Chip said:
    It ruins the magic behind a lot of things once you know how they are done.

Different strokes for different folks. You just described the reason many people go on living, figuring out how things work.

What Sunflower said is the reason why schools push sooo hard (and rightly so) to validate your sources. This is soooo fucking important, and why if you don't realize this, going to the library is often 10x more productive than 'googling' it.
  • somaliangangsterpuff said:
    Sorry,I don't really know if that's what you mean.

Not personal information, but more info about businesses, usually entertainment and media businesses. Like in my own experience, and I know I sought out this information myself, but getting to grips with photoshop and learning tricks and ways to make things in photoshop has made things such as websites, CD covers, even food product packets go from looking OK, to looking like shit because I understand the tricks behind them (partially getting annoyed because I know I could have done better in some cases). Now something has to really look special for me to give two fucks about it.
  • Chip said:
    It ruins the magic behind a lot of things once you know how they are done. It can change your entire outlook on almost everything, take the actual performance of Magic for example, once everyone knew the tricks behind the simpler stuff, it was no longer entertaining. Now to be entertaining magicians have to spend weeks covered in ice or set their nipples on fire for days and somehow not get hurt by it. It forced Magic to reach an extreme that it can no longer progress from, it's made people numb to even the most dangerous tricks, which is why Magic has seemingly died, at least in my experience. All parties would have been better off never finding out the trick behind the magic, I can sit there entertained by a simple trick, and the magician can make money without having to swing swords at his bollocks.

I don't think this is entirely true. I concede that knowledge does in fact negate the 'magic' of magic in that it does take away the layer of unknowing of how the trick is performed. However you happened to have caught me on a subject I do quite enjoy and I must say that knowing how a trick is done only gives me an appreciation for the execution required for certain feats.

[video=youtube;KecktyU46yI]

I know exactly how this trick is done and it hasn't lessened my appreciation for this piece in any way.

[video=youtube;oXGr76CfoCs]

This act is specifically about showing how a trick is done and if anything it heightens my appreciation for what magicians do.

[video=youtube;Hgm4wZCACYg]

I think the beauty is that ignorance is a wholly reasonable option to pursue. You don't need to look up how tricks are done. You don't need to read a walkthrough to play a game and it's entirely your choice (most often) to spoil the plot of a book for yourself.

There is an appeal in everything from having the options of being a Mark or a Smart or anything in between. There is no downside to the freedom of getting answers to questions because as any true freedom, it is the choice of the individual to utilize it how they wish.
  • i dread remembering the days with no interweb!
    searching for information took ages! not just private, but also work, coding problem, looking for component type, specifications etcetera was very time intensive when there was no web, now google it presto, solutions or at least some sense on where to look,

these days it's is more about how you sift through the info, than finding info at all
  • Too much knowledge is impossible. :)
  • I don't remember where I read it but I read a study that found that because of Google, our brains do not store as much information as that of the older generations. Our brains know that we can look anything up immediately so we don't have to "know" it.

My opinion is a mix of Both Chip's and Sunny's posts. I think we have access to too much useless or wrong information. While "Googling it" might be fine for factual topic like "why is the sky blue" or "how do I do ___", most of our questions we put into google are too vague for a for machine to comprehend. For example, i put into Google " why is my" and the auto-fill(based on commonly searched topics) is "my poop green; eye twitching; computer so slow; period late". These are exactly what i mean. Those are questions you ask a human because they can be caused my a vast number of things and we rely on every tidbit of information to be completely accurate for us. That is the bigger problem in my opinion.
  • Zanmatsuken said:
    Those are questions you ask a human because they can be caused my a vast number of things and we rely on every tidbit of information to be completely accurate for us. That is the bigger problem in my opinion.

You can fuck up very easily with self-diagnosis for illnesses this way too. I remember being pretty sick not that long ago and foolishly searched my symptoms to get an idea of what I had, or something I could do until I saw a Dr. The results were not good. Like oh fuck I may die kinds of not good. Turns out I just had a chest infection and the Dr gave me a pill that cleared it up in a week. Thanks internet.
  • the problem with so much information is that it breeds people who are culturally ignorant. You can read books all day but that does not make you learned!!! At the same time there are people on the streets(thugs) that have a lot of street knowledge that cant be expressed to scholars.
  • Maxim said:
    This act is specifically about showing how a trick is done and if anything it heightens my appreciation for what magicians do.

I guess it depends on the person then. For me it lessened my appreciation for the trick, but increased my appreciation of the magician. It became more about the magician then the actual magic of the trick. The only comparisons I can make is sadly a wrestling one but, the Piledriver, once I learned the trick behind it it lost it's magic, but in turn made me appreciate wrestlers who could do it really well. Seeing someone perform a sloppy piledriver used to still be a special thing to see, but now I don't care unless it's done really well, which sadly isn't often. One of my favourite moves in wrestling became one I stopped getting excited for once the magic was gone.
  • GreyAcumen said:
    the problem with so much information is that it breeds people who are culturally ignorant. You can read books all day but that does not make you learned!!! At the same time there are people on the streets(thugs) that have a lot of street knowledge that cant be expressed to scholars.
    You have that backwards Grey. Books are the portal to the past while "livin' the thug life" isn't. Going around yelling Westside(!!) doesn't allow one to learn of culture while reading something like The Art of War by Sun Tzu can give insight to living in ancient China.

Plus the man who reads lives thousands of lives, while the man who does not read can only live one. So I will take my library any day.
  • Chip said:
    You can fuck up very easily with self-diagnosis for illnesses this way too. I remember being pretty sick not that long ago and foolishly searched my symptoms to get an idea of what I had, or something I could do until I saw a Dr. The results were not good. Like oh fuck I may die kinds of not good. Turns out I just had a chest infection and the Dr gave me a pill that cleared it up in a week. Thanks internet.

lol that's great ~.~ well on topic I see this discusion like those ppl calling for replay in baseball. Well the SAD thing is, we wouldn't NEED replay if we didn't have super slow motion cameras, laser strike zones and HD screens. Ppl just want replay because they KNOW when refs fuck up and they know with today's technology that need not happen! Andres Gallaragha will take what he KNOWS to his grave! Now it's sad, because in an entertainment aspect, when you bring anticipation into account, it's just plan more fun without instant replay! With it it's just a game of stats and numbers.

It's funny that you use magic in your example... cuz I think refs just make up their calls some times. Like the snickers commercial!!
  • Sunflower said:
    I think the worse problem is access to so much MISinformation. Man, it's upsetting.

agreed, 100%
    Just because it's out there, doesn't make it true.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week