Is Anonymous The Vigilante World Police???
  • Does it make anyone else nervous that Anonymous is now the worlds thought police??? If you offend them you can expect ruin and they run independeent. Does this bother anyone else??? No matter how much good intentions are in there they can ruin someone innocent and this is why we have laws. Does anyone else see them as a big problem in this aspect???
  • I'm not going to go to much into it. But I love Anonymous, and I love what they've done.
  • What about when they do something you dont agree with??? It can happen.
    itstheletterfive said:
    I'm not going to go to much into it. But I love Anonymous, and I love what they've done.
  • up until just recently they weren't even one to take seriously. they've done some great things but I hope they don't let their hacking skills get to their head. it's much to much responsibility to put on someone to even say that imo.
    [video=youtube;JJmvhDbgxlk]
  • Vigilante world police? No. If you somehow manage to piss them off they will just pester you for a few days before getting bored and going back to re-posting old and tired images.
  • I wish this were the truth but they can ruin lives seriously
    Chip said:
    Vigilante world police? No. If you somehow manage to piss them off they will just pester you for a few days before getting bored and going back to re-posting old and tired images.
  • I wouldn't really call anoymous a police because its not a set organisation, there are no set rules to be a member of anoymous just ideals, if otherwise it would sort of be like having qualifications to say being a goth, goth isn't a job its a lifestyle. that said I understand the possible threat of a group having technological control over the world, but this is only a threat if the group becomes corrupt, and with simple ideals and no leader corrupting anonymous is something that is next to impossible.
    Bottom line is you should only fear anonymous if you fuck with public well-being; if you beleive in fare democracy then even if you do not agree with the majoraty, then aleast you respect their veiw as being the majoraty... the last thing the world needs is someone telling people what to think and I think that's what anonymous stands for.

Anyhow I dunno how great I was at explaining my view but I found a neat little video explaining anonymous's ideals. (sorry I can't imbed penny arcade's player so I'll just have to post a link.)
    http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/anonymous
  • GreyAcumen said:
    I wish this were the truth but they can ruin lives seriously

No, no they can't. Nor have they ever done so for more then three days max, even then it was just them constantly ringing their house phone and ordering a shit ton of pizza to their house. Which isn't exactly life ruining.
  • As I said in another thread I believe there is at least one case where Anonymous exposed the addres of some poor sod's famly and the entire world decided to fill them up with hate mail. That's not a small matter, it's not like bringing a website down for 3 days, that can result in crimes and major psychiatry bills. And 70% of those ppl didn't do anything to deserve that!

Skiming over Anonymous' wikipedia profile I don't think this happened recently and maybe they put some inside rule in place not to go after them like that, but these kind of things CAN happen. Even the US government wouldn't do that to Osama Bin Laden.
  • Anonymous are terrorists. They react and cause destruction to get what they want. They aren't world police, they're shitheads. Just like suicide bombers destroy things and hurt people to propel their beliefs, so do Anonymous when they bring down websites, harass people, and flood innocent communities to push their message.

Recently, they've taken to responding to legislation by acting out in destructive protesting, which is wrong. We have ways of protesting and informing your representatives about what you want them to vote for, that's why we have legislators to represent us. Anonymous is not following the political process that everyone else follow.

They're shithead scumbag assholes.
  • Fuzzy said:
    Anonymous are terrorists. They react and cause destruction to get what they want. They aren't world police, they're shitheads. Just like suicide bombers destroy things and hurt people to propel their beliefs, so do Anonymous when they bring down websites, harass people, and flood innocent communities to push their message.

Recently, they've taken to responding to legislation by acting out in destructive protesting, which is wrong. We have ways of protesting and informing your representatives about what you want them to vote for, that's why we have legislators to represent us. Anonymous is not following the political process that everyone else follow.

They're shithead scumbag assholes.

Agreed. They would be more effective if they got organized and worked from within the system; right now they function as a loose mob of terrorists. If anything, these guys are the 'merry men' equivalent of the net. Go out, terrorize a couple people, cause a stir, loot everything, go back to the woods for their mead and their drunken singing of their glory tales.

This is not to say that I don't agree with the fact that they are protesting against certain actions and causes I also hate... so I suppose it's better than overall apathy.

And by the way Grey, GOOD TOPIC for once!!! (Don't let it go to your head.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week