IGN First Friday!!!
  • So Im kind of a big deal. I am going to the IGN First Friday February 3rd 2012. I'm asking for any questions you may want me to ask on behalf of Noobtoob Army.

Check out my blog at www.thewethammerblog.wordpress.com
  • i have no clue of what that means, could you elaborate?
  • Ask them why they can't seem to understand their own point scoring system for reviews, and why they suck so much. Then post the answers here, rather than not-so-inconspicuously trying to flog your own site.
  • Ok, Ill be sure yo ask that since that would probably get me kicked out. Im just trying to stretch my wings with some online blogging and trying to reach out to other bloggers. Its people like you that turn people away from forum like this. Were all friends here man.
  • First Friday is something anyone can apply for. Just create an IGN account and look for First Friday. Basically they pick 15-20 applicants that are interested in working for IGN or in the similar field. They send you through a tour of their headquarters in San Francisco and let you meet the staff (Gregg Miller).
  • TheWetHammer said:
    Ok, Ill be sure yo ask that since that would probably get me kicked out. Im just trying to stretch my wings with some online blogging and trying to reach out to other bloggers. Its people like you that turn people away from forum like this. Were all friends here man.

Sorry man, but you didn't come across as very friendly in your first post. "So I'm kind of a big deal." Yeah, if you're trying to be friendly, don't say that. That makes you look pretty darn egotistic. I appreciate you taking the time to post here, but we normally just ask you to copy your work and post it here, then link to your site in the endnotes.

Anyway, hope you have a good time. I listen to around 10 of IGN's podcasts, so say hi to Daemon and the other editors for me!
  • Very good point. I got a little over zealous. I enjoyed reading a few of your reviews, very informative. I know I havent been the biggest contributor to Noobtoob but I love reading and listening to everything this community has to offer. I will definitely be telling the IGN boys over there that Noobtoob Army is in the house. Ok, maybe I wont say it quite like that.
  • TheWetHammer said:
    Very good point. I got a little over zealous. I enjoyed reading a few of your reviews, very informative. I know I havent been the biggest contributor to Noobtoob but I love reading and listening to everything this community has to offer. I will definitely be telling the IGN boys over there that Noobtoob Army is in the house. Ok, maybe I wont say it quite like that.

Thanks Wet, I appreciate it. Regardless, I'd be interested to hear how this tour goes so I'll be sure to check in on your blog a few days post visit.
  • Don't pay any mind to those jokers, Hammer. Independent bloggers of all stripes are welcome here and we have quite a few members (MuZ, Linko, Locke) with their own sites and content.

So let me say: WELCOME!! Always good to 'see' a new 'face' on the forum.

For anyone lazy enough not to google, as far as I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong) IGN First Friday allows people to go on a tour of their office in SanFran. Given that IGN is a major gaming news resource (no matter how much many people disdain them), it provides a really good opportunity to bloggers and other people hoping to break into gaming journalism the opportunity to talk to people actually working in the field.

i.e., with our very hands-on and creative community, this could provide some good pointers on say, video production to someone just starting out. It has value.

LINK:
    http://www.ign.com/blogs/nova1977/2011/05/06/ign-first-friday-the-best-ign-tour-ever-with-pics

May I suggest, for next time, that ^ those two paragraphs and the link would have made a better intro, to avoid the lambasting you got from our members. :D a little effort is appreciated.

That said, I have a question for each and every person you come across:
    - What's the longest most gruelling story you've ever worked on, and what about covering that story made it that way?

And other general questions:
    - Does it take any experience to break into a major news agency like IGN? What are they looking for?
    - What personality traits does IGN look for in its employees?
    - What did you do as a junior/intern/student/nobody to get their attention?
    - When they say jump, is 'how high?' a reasonable response?
    - When you have a conflict with an editor over quality in your piece, or what is to be written in the piece, how do you go about resolving it?
    - Do you have any advice for people who don't work with editors who want to improve their work quality?

Please remember to post back the responses. In fact, I highly, highly recommend you bring a recorder, and simply post the MP3 here/link them from your blog :)

Have lots of fun :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week