Listener Homework: What's your console strategerie?
  • How are you gonna get your grubby hands on a PS3 and/or a Wii?

Or are you going to even bother?

Yuzo and I are heading up this Saturday for a midnight Wii sale, hoping to get one each, but the hype is building and it may be tough. We'll see!
  • Definitely not getting a PS3 until there are games I want to play for it. And, ideally, the price has dropped. Since I don't care about Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, or Metal Gear Solid it may be a long time until it has exclusives I want.

I'll probably get a Wii sooner rather than later, but not right away.* (Family's visiting this week so I wouldn't have time to line up for a system or play the games, anyway.) Besides, I need to finish the current glut of things I'm playing, like Gears of War and Bully and Okami.

Did you all see the South Park a few weeks ago where Cartman froze himself in time because he couldn't wait for the Wii? It was great.

* Okay, I give myself a 70% chance of "accidentally" swinging by a Target on Sunday morning for the hell of it and seeing if any are available...
  • Not getting any of the current gen systems for awhile. I have played both the PS3 and Wii and while I honestly enjoy them both (the PS3 is actually pretty damn cool despite all the idiotic anti-sony sentiment on the web), there are too many last gen games I have to play.

I will get the 360 at first price drop and the same likely goes for the PS3. Luckily my sister has a 360, an almost guaranteed PS3 and a 65 inch HD-TV. So i will be playing games at their house as well.
  • In short : I am getting the PS3 for sure .
    I am not sure on the Wii at all on the moment.

Oh .. and whilst I do live in Europe (Amsterdam) I always managed to get my launch gear on launch day or launch week regardless of wether or not Europe is included in the first launch window ( wich it usually is NOT )
    Seriously , if you live in Europe and you want something thats released in a different region badly , you can get your hands on it . It just costs you a few hours of googling for the best places if you dont know where from previous experiences already .
    For example , I had the PSP 1 1/2 day after the official Japanese launch.
    It took a whole year for the PSP to officially come out in Europe .. eek !

==============================================
    The strats

Sony Playstation 3

I had a pre-order on a 60GB Japanese PS3 with Ridge Racer 7 , Resistance:fall of man and Motorostorm , along with an additional sixaxis.
    It was part of the no-money down pre-order Lik-Sang was having ..
    Before they got ********* `d straight to hell by Sony .
    Damn you sony .. damn you ..

Fortunatly for me I got contacts .
    I have worked for the KLM ( royal dutch airlines ) for a little over 3 years.
    As such I befriended alot of (female:) cabin crew members who live in Tokyo and they can get me a unit if I send over the money .
    I havent double checked with them for availability since they got their work to do and arent always available .
    But judging by the sales figures ( 90.000 units sold out of 200.000 ) its not sold out yet .

Now , I got the money right here to dish out a bank transfer and have somebody carry me a PS3 over ( Flight attendants go trough a slightly different customs process then regular people .. perks of the job ) on their next flight to Europe !
    Hell being the guy who always asks them to bring over gadgets I already had a few questions asked wether or not I want a PS3 .

But why am I hesitating then ?

Why ? Well since I now have a G/F i am seriously contemplating spending the money elsewhere on a nice weekend out in Belgium or Paris for Christmas .
    I already have alot of stuff to play as it is ( Gears of War , FF XII , Bully , Okami , Star Ocean till the end of time , Lumines 2 , Guitar hero 2 )
    O.K granted , without the G/F I`d still have the above mentioned games to play but I would have gotten it without a second tought lol .

As far as the PS3 goes the games line-up , even on launch DO interest me. But I know alot of people are "meh" over my little list .
    I geuse I got low standards ? LOL

- Resistance : fall of man
    - Motorstorm
    - Gundam
    - Heavenly Sword
    - FF XIII
    - Metal Gear Solid 4
    - Devil May Cry 4 : Cry at the moon
    - Ridge Racer 7 (Ridge Racer is really fun online)
    - White knight story (fap fap fap)
    - Tony Hawk project 8 (gfx are identical to 360 , but the control sceme with the tilt looked awesome in the videos)

Nintendo Wii

O.K quite seriously I had a lot of twists on the wii.

Phase 1

At first .. when it was known as revolution I was wondering what Nintendo would dish out and all the rumours (that got pretty silly) were interesting to follow.

Phase 2

Then Nintendo unleashes the wiimote concept to the public and I was like
    ... meh ?
    I mean .. Zelda is 100 hours long including sub-stuff .
    Do you see yourself as a gamer constantly moving around infront of your screen for said period swinging the wiimote around ? - I dont .

Phase 3

OH MY GOD , Red steel is looking AWESOME ! And oh ! oh ! Metroid prime 3 look at how that moves .. OOOH mario galaxy :shock:

Phase 4

Ugh .. Red Steel`s graphics are really .. seriously quake 2 .
    What happened to all that intense graphical quality I saw months ago ?
    That was all photoshop ? Your low Nintendo .

Then I started to realise things .

" Hey metroid prime 3 does look cool >metroid prime 1 and 2 are supposedly cool games and I got both of them .
    YET i only played metroid prime 1 for 3 hours .. tops . And never touched it since , I bought Metroid prime 2 but i NEVER ever put it in the console cause I didnt finish 1 ... so why would I be interested in a part 3 where parts 1 and 2 didnt do much for me at all ? "

Then I started to look at what games did attract me ?
    And that was (with red steel now gone from the list) metroid 3 and Twilight princess ... I already went over not bothering with metrdoi 3 for above mentioned problems , that leaves twilight princess .
    Now .. twilight princess will look the same and perform the same on the cube . . I already have a cube , and I`m a lazy ass mofo to swing the wiimote around .

So ... bam ! Conclusion ? Get Zelda on the cube and skip the wii .
    It seriosuly got less and less interesting the longer and longer i knew about the wii and stuff (information) got released about it.
    Nintendo is really tacking on online in my opinion.
    I dont give a S***t about wii channels with weather info and stuff .
    I wanna play against , or with other people .
    And no wii game on launch I know about .. has multiplayer action .

Nintendo is obviously sticking with their .
    " We want people to come over to eachother to play games "

Bah , thats so 80`s !

Phase 5

The girlfriend . O.K I was seriously considering a Wii cause a Wii with those wacky , tacky move around infront of your TV screen games are going to be fun with the one you love , and she doesnt need to worry about any messy WASD / keyboard mouse control scemes or what not.
    No just swing your wiimote to play tennis or whatever.
    Can be fun !

Conclusion

So ... I`m still not out wether or not I will buy the Wii .
    It really all depends on if I can get my G/F into gaming with it or at
    least use it for some fun physical action of the other kind :)
    But if I will ? I dont need a strategy .
    I dont expect it to sell out , with how big nintendo is touting up the launch numbers and what not .
    I wont wait in line for one , I wont camp out for one , I will just go to a store and get it if I do deceide to .
  • Wow, thanks for that huge response, Gwen!

I can't believe your flight attendant friends are willing to brave those horrible lines for you. Have you seen these articles:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/foreigners-and-fights-ps3-jpn-launchs-dark-side-214130.php

It sounds like the Japanese PS3 launch is hell over there.

Let us know if you get one though, that's pretty sweet. I should make some flight attendant friends. :)

I hear what you're saying about the Wii, but I'm still so excited for the interactivity, because of how amazing my DS is, that I'm willing to get it now and then wait six months for the really good stuff like Mario. I'll spend the meantime with things like Wii sports, which should be a great party game, and fun stuff like Trauma Center.
  • gwenster said:
    - White knight story (fap fap fap)

ROFL.

I want the $100 360 ._. But it looks like its limited to only americans.
  • My wife's cousin work for SCEA and asked me if I bought a PS3. My response, I'm a little worried about buying launch hardware because of overheating issues and other show stoppers seen with the PS2 and 360. Her reply indicated that the same was true for the PS3. So I'm going to save my $600 and stick with my 360 until the inevitable hardware issues are fixed/addressed (just like I waited for my 360). Buying at launch is fun, but sometimes it's too disheartening to buy some awesome hardware just to have it brick on you a few weeks later...
  • DesignSangha said:
    My wife's cousin work for SCEA and asked me if I bought a PS3. My response, I'm a little worried about buying launch hardware because of overheating issues and other show stoppers seen with the PS2 and 360. Her reply indicated that the same was true for the PS3. So I'm going to save my $600 and stick with my 360 until the inevitable hardware issues are fixed/addressed (just like I waited for my 360). Buying at launch is fun, but sometimes it's too disheartening to buy some awesome hardware just to have it brick on you a few weeks later...

For reference, when I was playing all those PS3 games in Tokyo, on _three_ separate occasions with three different games, the console locked up on my and they had to power cycle it to get it running again. Now I can attribute one, maybe two to bad demo code that just hung, but three seemed a little much and looked suspiciously like a hardware issue. I mean, it crashed during Flow, the downloadable flash game, fer chris' sake!

Gwenster:

Man, thanks for the detailed strats. So did you end up getting the PS3 after all?

The list you mentioned definitely has some good games, but unfortunately only a few were available at launch here in the states. Out of all of them Resistance seemed the most interesting, but not interesting enough to shell out $600 for (as mentioned in the 'cast).

And Gundam?! Are you serious? It just got the distinction of being the worst reviewed game at launch. :)

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/21/metareview-mobile-suit-gundam-crossfire/

I mean, I love big robots too (I think it's encoded to every japanese boy's dna), but I don't think I've ever played a good one on a console, especially a licensed Gundam one.

And project 8 looks neat, but after playing the 360 demo I dunno if even a new control scheme can bring that franchise back from the dead. EA's new "Skate" franchise looks to be much more interesting..

Yw
  • Yowch .. those PS3 launch mobs in both Japan and the US are really scary.
    People getting robbed and hospitalised .. man thats just so childish and unnescaserry.

At any rate , I deceided against buying a PS3 in Japan.
    I double-asked my flight attended friends just to see what they would awnser , regarding how the hell they will manage to survive the mob onslaught and their reply was that they saw that on the news and talkshows too and didnt expect that , but as of two days ago it seemed to have quitted down so if I wanted one I should just give the word.
    But no , I declined.

Why did I do that ?

First of all , the PS3 still has a few reported launch issues with the hard and software that are really turning me off . Cause damn , Sony has had an additional year to perfect it !

Secondly .. the launch games are pretty sad .
    I was expecting stuff like heavenly sword to be on launch too but no unfortunatly not .
    I read at Penny Arcade that Motorstorm wasnt even available to them at launch so you really only have resistance :Fall of man .
    And i am really hating it that gundam sucks .
    I really was looking forward to some next-gen robot stomping .

But ! I might still get my robot-stomping next-gen goodness with the 360
    Feast your eyes on the screenshots of the Xbox 360 Gundam game , coming out this month supposedly .

http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/x360_troy/

It looks ALOT better graphicly then the PS3 version.
    Also if you look closely you see that in the screenshots you are also controlling infantry dudes .
    That could mean that the multiplayer could be like battlefield where you can walk around and hop into certain vehicles and in this case also mobile suits . That would rock ! :

Ok the most important reason for ditching the PS3 .
    Well now that I have a steady G/F with this girl who I`ve actually known for the last 3 1/2 years my priorities have shifted alot .
    Hell , it took me 2 extra days before I played Gears of War , usuaully I`m the kinda guy who gets the new thing and plays it to death till the other new thing comes out .
    Overal videogaming has dropped too ..
    Now my G/F isnt a gamer , she does have a PS1 and PS2 but she has a handfull of games .
    It was funny when I asked her "why did you buy them if you dont really play them" and she replied " I just had to have them " LOL thats silly .

Her games are : Spyro the dragon , Crash bandicoot , Fantavision , ratchet and clank and a few others .

She`s interested in a DS now , especially with stuff like nintendogs and Brain age .
    So I tought ... you know I could easily get her into gaming if it was more fun and less "skill based" and she already is wanting a DS .. why not get ourselves a Wiiiiiii ?

The Wii has the fun control sceme for not-gamers to enjoy .
    It has silly little party games and it will have undoubtably a few more nice 2 + player games.

So yeah , thats how its going to be .
    I cant justify 600 $ to myself for one game and a console with bugs .
    I`ll ditch the PS3 for the Wii , and use the rest of the money for treating her out to an amazing weekend since she just graduated for being a teacher :)
  • Any woman who lists Ratchet and Clank in her top games is a keeper. That's one of my favorite series of all time. I can't freakin wait for them to make a new one, but they've been pretty busy with Resistance.
  • tobin said:
    Any woman who lists Ratchet and Clank in her top games is a keeper. That's one of my favorite series of all time. I can't freakin wait for them to make a new one, but they've been pretty busy with Resistance.

PSP version!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week