If You Could Own Your Own Business What Would You Sell???
  • I would sell katanas. Do not be confused like most people are, I do not mean European swords. I would deal strictly in katanas and people who have a taste for the finer things in live would buy from me.
    What would you sell???
  • Grey, you should slow down a little bit on the thread creation, when a forum gets flooded with so many discussions in a short period of time often most of them will be overlooked.

On top of being overlooked a large portion of them might not be taken seriously (especially when the same author starts them all) when really there are some great discussion points inside.

If you have something you want to discuss here, great! Create these topics and get a discussion going but I think you are hurting your threads when you post them rather than helping them.

For example I've noticed your formatting is a bit off in most of your posts, there are many things you can do to format posts to make them more visually appealing, for example I overuse the enter key to separate ideas and make it easier for readers to follow along through a lot of text. Maybe adding another line when you separate ideas would help your posts from looking like a left-justified block of text.

Also be very careful of how you word your topics and how you draw people in, quite often I find you are over expressing your personal ideals when you are trying to start a discussion, and the discussion ends up being completely overshadowed by your wording or thoughts.

Take this thread for example, aside from the title you don't really discuss the topic at all. The very first thing you write are your own opinions. Maybe give a sentence or two introduction to the topic, stating what kind of answers you are looking for, THEN give your own thoughts or your answer to the question. Try to keep it neutral to both sides (at least for the introductory post) then you can elaborate upon it later once the discussion has started.

To give a more detailed example, your second sentence...

GreyAcumen said:
    Do not be confused like most people are, I do not mean European swords.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone confuse katanas with "European swords", I'm actually not even sure what you are meaning by that unless you are just saying "people just thing swords when I say katanas, I don't want them comparing this to another type of sword". But even that sounds elitist and that is only the first sentence.

Then you say...

GreyAcumen said:
    I would deal strictly in katanas and people who have a taste for the finer things in live...

First half of that sentence is great, gives more detail to your answer so people know more of where you are coming from. But then you say the people who enjoy the finer things in life will buy from you? I don't think I've ever heard of katanas being described as one of the "finer things in life". That's the first thing I think when I read this.

So after two short sentences I'm thinking about an elitist opinion and have completely forgotten about what the topic really is.

Anyways I'm going on way too long and I have to leave for class shortly but, Grey you provide lots of good discussion points that get overlooked by the way you bring them up. A couple small improvements could really help your discussions grow rather than people making jokes about the content or trying to troll you with their answers.

Quality over quantity!
  • easy answer (if not a little generic for this site): games. Even though I want to be a game designer when I get out of school, I think it would be really cool to set up an indipendant games store, the reason being is they are virtually non-existant, we are flouded by GAMES, gamestations, gamestops and so on, but when was the last time you sore something like: "JO's House of Games"
    I see a bunch of indie music stores and even a couple of little comic-book stores but nothing really exclusively for games.
  • I'd sell my own artwork. Which I already do.

Spoiler:

imageimage
    imageimage
  • If I could have a specialized business, I would sell those t-shirts with wolves and dragons on them, cocaine (cut with aluminum, unicorn piss and stained glass), and rotten food. I'd make a killing.
  • GreyAcumen said:
    I would deal strictly in katanas and people who have a taste for the finer things in live would buy from me.
    What would you sell???

So no tanto's or wakizashi's? You may not find many buyers if you stick with just one of the set of three.

Anyways... If I had my own business I would not really sell anything as far as products go. I would like to make a safe haven for kids to go to that are at higher risk of ending up on the streets and becoming involved in gangs. It would be a non profit and I would have games there for them to play as well as a mentor and tutoring program. It would not make me rich by any means but it would make me feel good trying to save some of the kids from an early death and a life that they do not really deserve. So I guess you could say I would be selling a better chance at life for the ones that choose to take the opportunities that would be offered.
  • jaded_sapphire said:
    So no tanto's or wakizashi's? You may not find many buyers if you stick with just one of the set of three.

Those are still Katanas, just special kinds.
  • I would prepare people's tax returns so that I could bust my ass for 3 months of the year, work regularly for another 6 months and then goof off at the office for another 3 months.
  • dirt and water...maybe even mud. i would never run out of supply.
  • I don't like the idea of having my own business. Too much responsibility. I become a monster when put in charge of things.

I suppose if I could do anything and get paid for it, it'd have to be travelling.
  • Chip said:
    Those are still Katanas, just special kinds.

You know you could be right my sister in law that is born and raised in Japan could be wrong or I just may have miss understood her. Oh well. Guess we will have to google it. So what I understand from that seems to be mostly the way that my sister in law told me. katana=long sword wakizashi=short sword (if I remember right) and tanto= dagger. Once again I could be wrong though. I hope Dr Flibble pops in to clear this up because I really an curious tbh. Has nothing to do with being right or wrong for me its more about getting the facts straight.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week