Did Bin Laden Deserve To Die Or Did He Deserve A Trial???
  • Do you feel the U.S.A. was justified in killing Bin Laden without any trial or should he have been shot on sight as he was???
  • If you believe in ethics, democratic principles, constitutional rights, all that jazz... maybe
  • What do you believe Plankton??? Grace us with your knowledge. I get the feeling youll agree with me, we are like minded.
  • Everybody deserves a trial.
  • GreyAcumen said:
    What do you believe Plankton??? Grace us with your knowledge. I get the feeling youll agree with me, we are like minded.

I believe that the idea of human rights is a pretty sensible one. I also think that the the US government, even if it doesn't want to follow any international laws, should at least follow its own set of fundamental ideals put forward by the US constitution. The whole post-9/11 time was a complete rejection of those ideals. Bin Laden, as GE alreayd pointed out, deserved a trial too. Oh and I will rightfully invoke Godwin's Law by pointing towards the way Nazi leaders were treated at the Nuremberg Trials: Even Nazis got their trials!
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    Everybody deserves a trial.

I'd only add "fair" to that statement.

The US' foreign policy has almost always run contradictory to what the US government claims to be their ideals. This has really been driven home by the mockery they've made of everything they'd lead us to believe they hold dear and sacred since 9/11.
  • trial maybe... but as Flibble pointed out that would not have occurred anywhere in the US. I do not know many people that were not affected by it and I don't even live almost as far from New York as you can get in the US other than Hawaii and Alaska that is. If he was givin a trial it would have needed to be done by the UN.
  • Bin Laden isn't actually dead, though. He's selling used cars in Arizona with Elvis.
  • it would have been hard to arrest him with him shooting at the navy seals trying to bring him in.

have you ever tried to arrest someone that is shooting a gun at you?
  • A trial of justice would arguably been one with a bullet but true justice resides in a courtroom with an impartial jury.
  • 'An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.'

Trials
  • So half of you say to kill half to trial??? Disappointing do you not know the sanctity of life???
  • GreyAcumen said:
    So half of you say to kill half to trial??? Disappointing do you not know the sanctity of life???

That's a religious concept with which you won't get far in a discussion with me. That is not because I don't believe that life is worth preserving, rather I prefer that people reach that conclusion, or another, through critical thought rather than just putting the phrase out there.
  • Plankton said:
    I believe that the idea of human rights is a pretty sensible one. I also think that the the US government, even if it doesn't want to follow any international laws, should at least follow its own set of fundamental ideals put forward by the US constitution. The whole post-9/11 time was a complete rejection of those ideals. Bin Laden, as GE alreayd pointed out, deserved a trial too. Oh and I will rightfully invoke Godwin's Law by pointing towards the way Nazi leaders were treated at the Nuremberg Trials: Even Nazis got their trials!

Godwin's law is only applicable when you make a comparison to a forum member. You're being politically correct while comparing Nazi's to Alqeda. Anyway that's just a nit I'm picking; I agree he should of been tried.
  • tallchick said:
    'An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.'

Trials

i always found that statement wrong. if a guy takes one eye from you then you take his eye then you both still have that other eye
  • BurningArmyman said:
    i always found that statement wrong. if a guy takes one eye from you then you take his eye then you both still have that other eye

You are missing the point, it's a reference to the old testament and the "legal principle" of equal compensation for harmful acts committed. So if you take someone else's eye, the punishment is that you lose an eye as well; if you kill someone, you should be killed. That's kinda the idea, I think. The quote TC put forward is just, metaphorically, pointing out the flaw of that archaic principle.
  • Plankton said:
    You are missing the point, it's a reference to the old testament and the "legal principle" of equal compensation for harmful acts committed. So if you take someone else's eye, the punishment is that you lose an eye as well; if you kill someone, you should be killed. That's kinda the idea, I think. The quote TC put forward is just, metaphorically, pointing out the flaw of that archaic principle.

i know what it means i just think that that saying dosent do the meaning justice, no one is going to go blind if they lose one eye and still have that other one

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week