What are your thoughts on mods being to quick to lock out threads.
  • No poll just opinions. But hurry and post while you still can.
  • I think it's fine. There are some things inappropriate for discussion, and can lead to unneeded drama on the site. Sometimes, I'd rather have a completely separate website for general discussion; then we might see more activity in the game forums...
  • As long as there's a good reason, such as we've had similair threads or it's obviously a troll thread, then fine. There needs to be a reason, a posted reason, not a simple lock and pretend the thread never existed.

Still, I think every thread needs to be given time to gain some kind of response. Even if the content of the OP is questionable, if it can get some kind of discussion going, I see no real issue there.
  • Its all good. I knew when I made mine that I was just just frustrated and needed a vent and I knew that there was a 50/50 chance of that. TBH I'm a little surprised that GEFM did not lock mine when he said that it was not nice. There is always a reason for it being lock and after all they are our mods and depend on them to make the right choices when it comes down to the hard calls. If you have an issue with a call that a mod makes that is where you take it to that mod and if nothing there then maybe someone else.
  • My thoughts are "what do we want the forums to be"
  • I know and sometimes they do lock it to soon but I think that they do that in order to make sure that it doesn't turn into some of the ones that we have had before. Like the God thread.. we have had those in the past and they got pretty heated and by the end of it.. it was locked. Biggest reason I made that thread was to blow off some steam and because I thought it was funny. Not really the best of reasons for it and I think that is another thing that the mods look at when locking something is what the intent behind it is. The issue I have with Grey I know is my own and I am taking things out on him that I should not be just because he has a way of pissing me off.
  • The troll is winning, folks. Just ban the motherfucker and be done with it. I'm tired of hearing about it.
  • whatthefbomb said:
    I'm tired of hearing about it.

Then stop talking about it.
  • We're locking threads too quick? We hadn't locked an Off-Topic thread for content all year until the recent one. One a year is pretty remote. I can't even find another one as far back as summer 2010, I gave up digging back after that.
  • gilligan said:
    No poll just opinions. But hurry and post while you still can.

I'm really disappointed this thread even exists...

Nah just kidding, although I'm surprised you thought Mods would leap in and shut down a thread just because it was discussing a decision they'd made. I do suppose though that, as the Locker that prompted this thread, I should probably at least provide some input.

First up, not sure I agree with the notion that Mods on here are 'to quick' to lock threads - generally things have to get fairly excessive before direct action is taken, at least that's my experience. For my part, I think Jaded's was the first thread that wasn't a spam thread that I've locked in nearly a year of being a mod. As for this not being an isolated example, if the best you can think of is the circumcision thread then that thread was nearly a year and half ago and unless I'm much mistaken, wasn't actually locked.

For Jaded's thread in particular, I do owe her an apology as I had intended to contact her back-channels but just have not had a chance. Regardless of her intent (and for what it's worth I thought the poll was pretty funny), that thread had the potential to turn real toxic, real fast. Either way, I feel uncomfortable with a whole thread dedicated to taking the piss out of another person even if that person holds views that no one else on NT agrees with.

Talking about the Mod Team, you either trust us to make the right decisions in the best interest of the community and leave us to it, or you don't and you get in touch with us to help us identify issues that need addressing. Either way works. If you feel I made a mistake locking Jaded's thread, I'm all ears. If you think the way the Mods work is not helping to make Noobtoob a better place (which ultimately has to be our aim) then, again, we're listening.
  • I will save the rest of my ramblings for the thread for topics not worth its own thread...that was the reason I made it.
  • gilligan said:
    i also didnt mention in my last post that jaded never mentioned any names. I wasnt sure she was talking about someone specific until someone else named him in that thread..

I think you were the last person to figure that out then.
  • Littleg said:
    Regardless of her intent (and for what it's worth I thought the poll was pretty funny), that thread had the potential to turn real toxic, real fast.

Thanks. Its nice to know that I was able to get a few laughs about it at least but I agree it should have been locked. I thought it was funny as hell but at the same time I knew that I should not have done it or I should have made it less obvious who was managing to piss me off. It was also my hope that if that person saw it that he would realize that I was not the only one that was getting annoyed and maybe would stop in case he was not trying to troll and just did not know better but I think there is a slim chance of that.

Most of the people that have been here a while know that most of the time I am really nice but when I get a stick up my ass I am a big bitch about it. Call it me being passive aggressive. I will attempt to be nicer to that person from now on.

Gilligan I am surprised that you did not figure it out just by the tittle of it.
  • My money is on Maxim using an alt account :P.
  • So Jaded_Sapphire made a troll thread against me. Lovely.
  • raskit said:
    My money is on Maxim using an alt account :P.

[CENTER]image[/CENTER]
  • GreyAcumen said:
    So Jaded_Sapphire made a troll thread against me. Lovely.

see chip even the one that the thread was about didnt know.
  • Yeah but now I think that he started a bunch of threads to bury the one that was about him. Why else would you make 9 in one day?
  • gilligan said:
    see chip even the one that the thread was about didnt know.

Because he didn't log on that day.
  • Sometimes I feel that mods let things go on to long but for the most part they do not lock things to fast. There is always a reason for what they do even when we do not understand the why behind it. After all even though they are our mods and all they are still human that have as much rights to their feelings as others. They have to give everyone a chance to express them self. Only when something is made with a malicious intent in the OT should it be locked right away (guilty) or when it becomes to heated of a conversation to keep going on.
  • I personally think it is horrible but necessary as a means of stroking the egos of people who have no other means to do so. The mods need to feel important and their lives are so bland the only way they can feel anything these days is by expressing their dominion over others the only way they can. Absolute power corrupts absolutely and on a web forum absolute power is the ability to direct the narrative, which the mods aren't shy about doing.

When I first started watching noobtoob one of the things I liked was the fact that Tobin was a libertarian. Then I came to the boards and I found that of every community I've ever been a part of this community has the strongest mod presence. I find the level of censorship quite ironic. It is my opinion that mods are doing a great job when no one is talking about them... and sadly we're talking about them.

You say you don't want a topic to snow ball out of control but trolling is a necessary evil. What would God be without Satan? Boring. Like it or not a good troll gets people talking about a subject but the mods in this community are quick to thwart any potential troll. What is worse though is good meaning people will introduce a topic but a mod will lock it before it can see the light of day. The mod just made that person insecure. He says he does it for the good of the community but in reality he is just silencing a mind trying to free itself. Now when ever that person goes to make a topic he will always second guess himself and that is a sin.

To fear ideas is to fear life. If we're going to restrict ideas we'll never know our full potential by virtue of the fact that we are censoring a portion of that potential. We're never going to be as big as we can be but what ever; that's on you mods. And lets be honest. You can call noobtoob an awesome community until hell freezes over but ultimately it is a corporation. The direction of discourse on this site isn't up to us but rather management, the 1% if you will. If you don't like it then leave.

I'll close on this: Mods, if you are ever the topic of discussion you're doing a shitty job.... remember that.
  • Hey Mattson, did you know we haven't locked a topic in OT for over a year and a half until the scenario the other day? These other communities with much less mod presence, hell, I dunno what to tell you.

Unless of course you've got your forums mixed up, we haven't seen you around in months.

EDIT: Oh, I think I see where you're coming from with the mod presence. Thing is, here people get turned into mods by contributing to the community and having the community's best interests at heart. So, since we are a site about connecting gamers, it is only natural that the most active, positive members are promoted to mods, so this is the 'heavy mod presence' you see. So it's a great thing :)
  • Yeah... NooBTooB is far away the least censored forum I have ever been on. I probably have accounts with 30 or so forums at least. Just sayin', there isn't many other places out there where you can post what you can post here, at all.

Not sure what being a libertarian or god or satan have to do with it!
  • My my, that is some masterful trolling there Mattson.

...You are trolling, right? Surely you don't think someone bitching about mods locking threads when they haven't done so in ages is a legit complaint?
  • Sunflower said:
    Hey Mattson, did you know we haven't locked a topic in OT for over a year and a half until the scenario the other day? These other communities with much less mod presence, hell, I dunno what to tell you.

Unless of course you've got your forums mixed up, we haven't seen you around in months.

EDIT: Oh, I think I see where you're coming from with the mod presence. Thing is, here people get turned into mods by contributing to the community and having the community's best interests at heart. So, since we are a site about connecting gamers, it is only natural that the most active, positive members are promoted to mods, so this is the 'heavy mod presence' you see. So it's a great thing :)

I did not know this and it is good to know. But I'll still stand by my point. One of the reasons I left this community is because I thought I was unfairly modded by Jam Enslaver... If you wish to know why just go rifling through my PMs.

Apparently my past contributions are moot as I've been stripped of my noobies... but if I cared about noobies I'd make a stink about it.

So mods are chosen by their 'contributions' to the community? I'm assuming the mods have the final say on these choices? Either way its good to know noobtoob is an oligarchy and not a democracy.
  • Mattson said:
    I did not know this and it is good to know. But I'll still stand by my point. One of the reasons I left this community is because I thought I was unfairly modded by Jam Enslaver... If you wish to know why just go rifling through my PMs.

Apparently my past contributions are moot as I've been stripped of my noobies... but if I cared about noobies I'd make a stink about it.

So mods are chosen by their 'contributions' to the community? I'm assuming the mods have the final say on these choices? Either way its good to know noobtoob is an oligarchy and not a democracy.

Jam hasn't been a mod here in over 3 years, if not more.

We cannot view PMs.

Noobies were removed from EVERYONE when we did a gigantic upgrade to the forums, and we even have a topic where you can request to have your noobies restored. As it is a manual process, we figured everyone who cared about their noobie count could see the thread and make the request. In fact, this thread is stickied and at the very tippy tip top of the Site Discussion forum. http://noobtoob.com/community/forumdisplay.php?4-Site-Discussion

If you really want to get into it about 'democracy' in a place that isn't supposed to have any, we can go that route if you like.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week