(360) FM4: TomiTapio is better at Forza than you
  • Been a while since we've had one of these! Fortunately, Forza has a mode specifically designed to promote leaderboard competitions - Rivals Mode.

So every once in a while I'll come into this thread and pick one of the Rivals challenges and we'll see who can go the quickest in that challenge.

The Rival Challenge for this week is the Rally Wild Show around Rally di Positano in the Top Gear Rivals section. I was inspired by Winsord's impressive time and that took me ages to beat, but I got there! His time is a 1:18.075 and for a long time that was the fastest on my friends list, but the benchmark now stands at 1:16.975.

This is quite a tricky challenge as it's less about going quickly as it is about avoiding contact with the slower cars. Be sure to post how you're getting along. Also, pick whoever is quickest in the NTA club as your rival for when you do the race, as that will mean that you'll also get a big credit bonus if you beat him!
  • GOD DAMN IT THERE ARE TOO MANY CARS IN THE WAY!!!! >_<
  • Ha ha. Weren't you just saying the other day that this is a really relaxing game? :)
  • Oh no, not this track! I set that lap time purely on luck; this race frustrates me to no end. My times are always invalid from the stupid AI drivers, and I typically give up before I even set a clean lap. I'll keep trying though; I feel like I can set a 1:15, but there are certain areas of the track that you have to cut it so close between the cars and the walls that it'll take me a good bit to do. Best of luck to you all!
  • I raced, I placed second to last, therefore you guys can go to hell. Tomorrow's another attempt or 10.
  • Littleg said:
    Ha ha. Weren't you just saying the other day that this is a really relaxing game? :)

haha but not when I can see your ghost just zigzaging its way through the traffic and hitting every turn just right, but when I try to mimic your movement I end hitting three cars, a wall, a dog and going off a cliff.
  • I tell you what, watch the top time on the global leaderboards - I'm calling shennanigans. He drives a pretty much perfect lap and I can't see how he can be doing that with traffic in the way.
  • Yeah at least three of you in the NTA club are better drivers than me in Forza. I have put in the hours though. Would be futile for me to try to beat a time that Winsord has done.
  • If I can offer any tips, it's that 90% of the time you're better going to the outside of the corner rather than the inside if you meet another car on a bend. This is particularly true of the slower hairpins where you'll either understeer out into them if you go in too fast or they'll steer into you. The only spot where I was able to consistently, safely overtake another car on the inside was at the wide hairpin at the halfway point, up the hill just after you pass through the archway. There, the other cars stay close to the kerb whereas you can cut right inside it.

Also, and I don't know if everyone else is getting this, but if you make contact with another car anywhere in the final third of the lap, not only is that lap blown but the next one as well. I presume that's a precaution to stop people leaning into the slower cars on the final corner to get a good exit speed down the start straight, but it seems a bit excessive.

Just say if you are finding this one frustrating folks, I know I was gnashing my teeth for quite a while, and we can switch to a challenge that is just hot laps...
  • Looks like Littleg remains undefeated at the top of the Positano leader board, but here comes a new Challenger! It turns out that it's actually Winsord that's better than the rest of us...

In the Open Time Attack events, the Classic Muscle race - Winsord has posted a time in his V8 Muscle car that I can't seem to do anything to match! The benchmark that's been laid down for the rest of us is 00:49.373.

The restrictions on this race are that the car has to be a classic V8 muscle car with a max PI of 350. My theory that taking a lower PI car and powering it up to 350 was the way to go appears not to be working out too well. How can you do?
  • G, the restrictions for the race is that car must not have a PI greater than 426 not 350. You are talking about the MapleValley track one right?
  • monochromaticx said:
    G, the restrictions for the race is that car must not have a PI greater than 426 not 350. You are talking about the MapleValley track one right?

Yep, sorry - 425, not 350!
  • Littleg said:
    Yep, sorry - 425, not 350!

Well you better get back behind the wheel since I just beat you with the same type of car too hehe
    You're next winsord.
  • monochromaticx said:
    Well you better get back behind the wheel since I just beat you with the same type of car too hehe
    You're next winsord.

What? That means I can't even be the stereotypical poor workman and blame my tools. There was me thinking it was just the Ford that was rubbish.

I could be wrong, but I think the rivals mode is one of the areas where you can use Shared Cars. How would people feel about doing challenges in the future with a set car?
  • Littleg said:
    What? That means I can't even be the stereotypical poor workman and blame my tools. There was me thinking it was just the Ford that was rubbish.

I could be wrong, but I think the rivals mode is one of the areas where you can use Shared Cars. How would people feel about doing challenges in the future with a set car?

That sounds like a good idea, it would make it more interesting (as long that there is no damn traffic >:[ )

EDIT: Winsord is down, I repeat winsord has been taken down. New record is 00:49.301 and I am in the top 1% in world apparently too :D
    EDIT 2: Newer record 00:49:149, also I just found out that your car can be 426 IP, in other words a B class. I will try it now and see what happens.
  • New time to beat of 00:46.102; I'm certain I can get it down into the 45s, but I just didn't quite make it today.

Edit: I'd be all for using the same shared cars in future events; only difficulty with that though is that if you're just trying to set your highest time overall, your time might not go up on the leaderboard. That said however, I'm pretty sure the other time-attack rivals mode is a closed class race, meaning everyone in the world uses the same car for that event. It'd also be really cool to do some drifting/auto-cross events at some point.
  • .....damn it, oh well I guess I will try changing the set up and focus on acceleration more
  • monochromaticx said:
    .....damn it, oh well I guess I will try changing the set up and focus on acceleration more

Handling and acceleration are key for Maple Valley short; you don't need a speed rating of over 3.5. The only straight away is the as short as the standard in-between corners section on any regular track, so you never really have time to pick up much speed. Handling is a bit more important than acceleration here though just because of that wide corner right at the end of the reversed track.
  • Winsord said:
    Handling and acceleration are key for Maple Valley short; you don't need a speed rating of over 3.5. The only straight away is the as short as the standard in-between corners section on any regular track, so you never really have time to pick up much speed. Handling is a bit more important than acceleration here though just because of that wide corner right at the end of the reversed track.

Yup, I already updated the handling to nearly max, thats how I got the 49.148 time. Seeing the ghost of your rival is really great touch, helps out in learning how to improve.
  • No matter what I do I cannot keep up with Winsord's ghost on this one. I've even switched out of my Ford Falcon and into a thoroughly-stripped-out '74 Camaro like him and still no luck. I can take the first corner and the two sweeping right handers quicker, but the hairpin and the final big left kill me. Are you on race tyres, buddy?
  • I've only gone and bloody done it!!! YES!!!

By the measliest of margins, I've scraped past our Canadian chum with a 45.946 using the same Z28. I was about to post a new challenge but I'll leave this one open for a few more days (closing it immediately after I take the lead would be something of a dick move!).
  • New time: 00:45.874.

I don't understand how you managed the line that you did on that second corner, but you were beating me by a full car-length or two at that corner every time; crazy fast.
  • Thats not saying much
  • gilligan said:
    Thats not saying much

Eh?

For the second corner, I used to think the same thing about your ghost! I'm running full race slicks, downforce and racing brakes (assuming you mean the hairpin turn), and was going crazy-late on the brakes after taking the first corner flat.
  • Littleg said:
    Eh?

For the second corner, I used to think the same thing about your ghost! I'm running full race slicks, downforce and racing brakes (assuming you mean the hairpin turn), and was going crazy-late on the brakes after taking the first corner flat.

Well, it's mostly that you do this weird 90 degree turn. You drive in from the mid-left (on the inside) of the corner, slam on the brakes late and are able to get pointed in the right direction somehow, allowing you to fly out of that corner. Anytime I tried to follow your line, I'd slide right of the track! Where I managed to pass you was on the wide corner at the end; the pit lane split is nerve racking.
  • Winsord said:
    the pit lane split is nerve racking.

That it is :D .

Well, I think we've given this particular race enough time, Winsord is indeed quicker that the rest of us. Would you like to claim winner's rights and suggest the next challenge, buddy? Not to worry if not, I've got a couple of suggestions...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week