Diablo 3 News Thread
  • [center]image
    Release Date
    Unknown
    Platform
    PC
    Possibly Consoles

Gameplay and Features
    Diablo III is similar in style to its predecessor, Diablo II. The proprietary engine will incorporate Blizzard's custom in-house physics, a change from the original usage of Havok's physics engine, and feature destructible environments with an in-game damage effect. The developers are aiming to make the game run on a wide range of systems, and have stated that DirectX 10 will not be required.Diablo III will use a custom 3D game engine in order to present an overhead view to the player, in a somewhat similar way to the isometric view used in previous games in the series. Enemies will utilize the 3D environment as well, in ways such as crawling up the side of a wall from the depths into the combat area.

As in Diablo II, multiplayer games will be possible using Blizzard's Battle.net service, with many of the new features developed for StarCraft II also available in Diablo III. Players will be able to drop in and out of sessions of co-operative play with others.

An enhanced quest system, a random level generator, and a random encounter generator are slated for use in order to ensure the game provides different experiences when replayed. Overall, the game will include both static and randomly generated levels. Additionally, there will be class-specific quests to go along with the main storyline quests. Blizzard originally planned to have in-game cutscenes, but decided these would divert from the gameplay and decided against them. Three new armor pieces will be available: shoulder plates, arm-guards and leggings.

Unlike previous iterations, gold can be picked up merely by touching it, rather than having to manually pick it up. One of the new features intended to speed gameplay is that health orbs drop from enemies, replacing the need to have a potion bar, which itself is replaced by a skill bar that allows a player to assign quick bar buttons to skills and spells; previously, players could only assign two skills (one for each mouse button) and had to swap skills with the keyboard or mousewheel. Players can still assign specific attacks to mouse buttons.

Skill runes, another new feature, are skill-modifying items that are randomly dropped by monsters and used across all classes. Rather than changing equippable items as in Diablo II, they are instead attached to skills, often completely changing the gameplay of each skill.Skill runes also have the ability to make one particular spell in each class more powerful, and give the player options as to how the rune will enhance a particular spell. For example, investing skill runes on the wizard's "lightning" can allow the players to make the lightning jump onto additional enemies, or, alternatively, adding the runes with explosion effect blows the enemy up and causes damage to the surrounding area.

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_3

Special Edition
    •Art of Diablo III artbook
    •Collector's Edition Soundtrack
    •Behind the scenes DVD and Blu-Ray two disc set
    •Diablo Skull and 4GB USB Touchstone
    •Exclusive in-game content including Diablo III aesthetic artifacts, World of Warcraft pet Fetish Shaman, Starcraft II Battle.net portraits
    More In Depth Look

TRAILERS
    [video=youtube;cxQtd-CV3FU]

[/center]
  • •Diablo Skull and 4GB USB Touchstone

SOLD!

I never played any Diablo game before...is it really THAT good?
  • monochromaticx said:
    SOLD!

It's the multiplayer that did it for me but yeah, they're pretty awesome.
  • If you buy the new Annual World of Warcraft subscription pass, you get Diablo 3 for free. You all know what to do. ;)

monochromaticx said:
    SOLD!

It's a fun series, yeah. Diablo 2 is a classic. I played 3 at PAX in 2009, and it was possibly the best thing I played at the show. That was 2 years ago. :)
  • I need a release date !!!

I can't wait anymore for this... so many years have pass since Diablo 2...
  • So uhh, I didn't really no where to put this but I've been playing the beta for a bit and I must say I am loving every minute of it.

As an experienced Diablo player the only thing I don't like is that it seems very easy to start out with, they don't really give you a lot of skills and different abilities at first.

But man is this fun... I'll come back when I've played a bit more though which will definitely been soon.
  • May 15, 2012 release date. Also heard something about no PvP at release and they'll patch it in later.
  • Just thought I'd bring this to everyones attention. Theres an open beta this weekend, so jump in if you're interested.

Diablo III Open Beta Weekend said:

We're pleased to announce the Diablo III open beta weekend, which offers open access to all players with a valid Battle.net account! Beginning this Friday everyone is invited to log in and help us put the game and servers through their paces in this three day stress test as we march toward the game's release on May 15. You can begin downloading the Diablo III client right now!

From Friday, April 20 at 12:01 p.m. PDT (noon), until Monday, April 23 at 10:00 a.m. PDT you'll be able to log in, team up with friends, and play each of the five heroic classes to level 13 as you fight to save the world from the impending demonic invasion.

FAQ
    What steps do I need to take?

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2743-Diablo-III-Open-Beta-Weekend-Stormstout-Brewery-Quest-Galleon-Defeated-Blue-Posts
  • Servers are busy, wonder if they knew how much stress their servers are going to be under.
  • Played the beta for about a half hour. It's pretty damn enjoyable :)
  • Played a bit of the single player. Fun game but nothing special. I really don't understand what all the hype is about, maybe I will change my mind when I try multiplayer (?)
  • monochromaticx said:
    Played a bit of the single player. Fun game but nothing special. I really don't understand what all the hype is about, maybe I will change my mind when I try multiplayer (?)

Same here. I found the single player fun for a while, but it soon became repetitive. I tried to play multi-player, but the servers were busy. I'm definitely not going to pay full price for this one.
  • I've never played Diablo before but I tried the Diablo 3 Beta and enjoyed it. I pre-ordered it from Ozgameshop for cheap mainly because my friends are also getting it and the game seems very worth my money. So if any Noobtoobers play it when it comes out I'll be happy to join in.
  • Thefabledgamer said:
    Same here. I found the single player fun for a while, but it soon became repetitive. I tried to play multi-player, but the servers were busy. I'm definitely not going to pay full price for this one.

You kinda have to be a loot/stat whore really, you really need to want to run a boss multiple times to get the best loot to get the most of out of these types of games.
  • Yeah as Chip said, the allure of these kinds of games comes from discovering and obtaining lots and lots of loot with people at your side. Stats and builds is another aspect of these games that many people enjoy, although Diablo 3 has sort of watered these down given that stats are automatically allocated and there are no skill trees anymore. However, there still is a sense of character individuality left to where not every Monk or Wizard or whatever will play the same.

With that being said, I think Torchlight 2 will feel more like Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 will. It doesn't help that pretty much NONE of the original crew that worked on the first two games are employed by Blizzard anymore. And it's easy to tell because of how different Diablo 3 feels.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week