man leaves no tip....kind of
  • i will start off with the link but knowing yahoo it wont be up for long.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/bartender-tip-see-believe-teacher-eats-school-lunch-154219798.html

    now the part that interests me isnt the story itself. it is the comment section. which seems slightly divided. but the part that i find interesting is people seem to have very strong opinions on the story and they only know part of one side of the story. even if you click all the links and go to the waitresses facebook page you still only have one side of the story.

    the bottom line in my opinion is they are both wrong. not leaving a tip should be insult enough as a customer. and posting personal info of a customer...well if i was the boss i just might fire this waitress.
    but like i said about everyone else that left a comment, i dont know the full story so i cant say any of that for sure.
  • Chips, guacamole, and a pork taco for 29 dollars?

    Personally, he's pretty in the wrong and that's a disgusting thing to do, but posting someone's personal information online and then linking people to the wrong person? You just hurt some random guy also. If I started getting hate mail because some random girl I don't know linked to me, I'd be pretty pissed and upset.

    So they're both pretty in the wrong.
  • I think the girl was justified in her actions, but they weren't really smart because innocent people got involved. Still, you'd think people would be smart enough not to send hate mail to someone unless they were sure it was the right person.

    We can't have a discussion on tipping without someone posting this:

    [video=youtube;enJwYaeolXc]
  • Tipping in America is not mandatory right? The only thing he did wrong was say she should lose weight?

    That video reminds me of why Reservoir Dogs is one of my favourite movies, I should watch that again soon.
  • It's only mandatory in some cases, like I think if you have 6 or more people in some places.

    I'm pretty sure people get called fat everyday. He did go out of his was to call her fat, but still. If you were walking down the street and some random person called you fat and walked away, would you really get all that upset? Maybe for a little, but some things you just have to get over.
  • Chip said:
    Tipping in America is not mandatory right? The only thing he did wrong was say she should lose weight?

    Well it's always polite to tip, but not tipping doesn't necessarily make you a dick. Calling your waitress fat, hell, calling anyone fat, makes you a dick. Plus the fact that he marked a 0 on the line for the tip makes him kind of a dick. I think you can just leave it blank, so putting a 0 there says that you don't WANT to leave a tip. It's saying, "Here, I put in the extra effort to tell you that I will NOT be leaving you a tip."

    MissScooter said:
    If you were walking down the street and some random person called you fat and walked away, would you really get all that upset? Maybe for a little, but some things you just have to get over.

    It wasn't some random person who called her fat. She serviced the person by serving him food. She put in effort to make his dining experience enjoyable and not only does he not leave a tip, but he calls her fat. There's a big difference between a random person and your customer, at least in my eyes.
  • TRF said:
    Plus the fact that he marked a 0 on the line for the tip makes him kind of a dick. I think you can just leave it blank, so putting a 0 there says that you don't WANT to leave a tip. It's saying, "Here, I put in the extra effort to tell you that I will NOT be leaving you a tip."
    I've been told if you want to insult your waiter/waitress, you leave a penny. At least if there's no tip, there's a possibility they just forgot. It is that effort to make it known you didn't just forget. (If you're leaving the tip on the table at least)


    Just to add as well, you never know. This girl might have said something offensive to him, or had bad service. In that case, a 0 tip would be fine. Calling someone fat on the check though? Really? :/
  • TRF said:
    Well it's always polite to tip, but not tipping doesn't necessarily make you a dick. Calling your waitress fat, hell, calling anyone fat, makes you a dick. Plus the fact that he marked a 0 on the line for the tip makes him kind of a dick. I think you can just leave it blank, so putting a 0 there says that you don't WANT to leave a tip. It's saying, "Here, I put in the extra effort to tell you that I will NOT be leaving you a tip."


    It wasn't some random person who called her fat. She serviced the person by serving him food. She put in effort to make his dining experience enjoyable and not only does he not leave a tip, but he calls her fat. There's a big difference between a random person and your customer, at least in my eyes.

    If your paying by credit card you should always put something on the tip line.
    it would be very easy for the waitress to change a 1 into a 9 on the total line on the bottom of the bill then she could put $9.00 as the tip. Sure you MAY be able to get your card company to overturn it but isnt it easier to avoid all that.
    personally I always put $0.00 with a line through it and then leave a cash tip.
  • Bad tippers go to Hell.

    Not tipping DOES make you a dick.

    Fifteen percent is standard, twenty percent is more like it.

    These are the rules, children. They are not negotiable.
  • westsw said:
    Bad tippers go to Hell.

    Not tipping DOES make you a dick.

    Fifteen percent is standard, twenty percent is more like it.

    These are the rules, children. They are not negotiable.


    What happens when the service is terrible? I mean this was a pretty one sided story. It comes from the facebook post of what I'll just assume to be a 20ish year old girl?

    Sure he didn't need to add the extra comment at the end but how do we know he didn't get service not worthy of a tip.

    If someone messes up your order, rarely checks the tables, took forever to bring you bill / drink, didn't have the patience for your questions about the menu I mean do they really deserve to be tipped?

    I've definitely had my share of poor waitresses before and I have no problem saying I tipped poorly for that.
  • Tipping poorly and not tipping are two different things. If my service was that bad, I'd give at lowest 10%. 20% is what my parents have taught me is the proper amount, so, that's what I do.
  • Not tipping does not make you a dick. Not tipping when your service is decent or above makes you a dick.
    If I pay for a service, I expect to be given at least decent service.
  • The guy was an ass for leaving an insulting note, but there are still two sides to this story and the girl might have just been a terrible server. No tipping is bad, sure, but if she was truly horrible and neglectful than I feel he had a right not to tip her.

    I am a decent tipper and tip people around the 15 percentage, but if the service is bad, it will slowly start to reduce from there though I don't recall that I've ever been mad enough to leave absolutely no tip at all. I feel that if service is that exceptionally terrible, then getting the attention of a manager is the best course of action. And I'm a pretty easy going customer...I just care if you take my order within a reasonable time, check up on me at least once during my meal and have a good attitude. I hate being served by someone who acts like they are just tolerating my presence until the next big group comes in and they can get their big gratuity tip. I just think if I'm gonna tip someone around 15-20% of my meal, then I better get what I pay for.
  • It would take a lot for me not to tip at all, since I'm pretty sure some places pay waiters or waitresses a lot less than minimum wage, and they have to make up for it with tips.
  • or they could pay enough wage so they don't have to live on the tips. in japan tips are a no no!
  • Epke said:
    or they could pay enough wage so they don't have to live on the tips. in japan tips are a no no!


    I agree. Tipping is a load of rubbish.
  • In one way I can see how it will push people to do a better job, but they have to technically get paid at least minimum wage including their tips. And I don't personally see it as much higher than a minimum wage job.

    I'm not sure if it would be better to not tip and pay them a certain amount? I'm not sure who this would hurt or help in the long run (well definitely the restaurant would be hurt some.
  • I would suppose that in Japan servers are paid a living wage. In the US, waiters(esses) depend on tips to pay rent. The hourly rate they get is not meant to support them fully. Anyone who has ever waited, or knows someone who has, knows this. Not tipping in the US is automatic dickheadland. You do not have to tip people behind counters, you do have to tip the waiter(ess). This is not an arguement. If you don't have enough for fifteen percent, you ordered too much and are a dick. Tipping is not mandatory, neither is bathing. You do these things because you are a civilized human being. Tennagers are typically shitty tippers, don't fall into that trap just because your peers know no better.

    In a related note, how you treat waiters says a lot about you. On a date, if someone is nice to you and shitty to the server, run for the hills. They are making it clear they behave badly when they can, you will be on that list sooner or later. People who shit on waiters are often powerless in their lives. They are unhappy and have almost no one to take it out on. You want to look like that? Go for it. No one with a lick of sense will think much of you. This is basic education.
  • People in the US tip for everything. Not so much the case here. Tipping is optional. I think it's disgusting that people get offended if they don't receive a tip. Hell when I was a kid and went to florida I remember a waiter chasing someone out of a restraunt and saying "you forgot to tip...". A tip in my mind should be given for a reward for good service. Not decent service, not bad service, going out of your way to give good service. Meaning you have your job to do, but you do more than is required in order to make your customer(s) happy. I you just do what I expect from someone in then why should I tip them? They done nothing for me other than do what they were meant to, they don't deserve a tip, they get a wage to do that job. You deserve something if you go out of your way to do something for me or others though.
  • vowel said:
    A tip in my mind should be given for a reward for good service. Not decent service, not bad service, going out of your way to give good service. Meaning you have your job to do, but you do more than is required in order to make your customer(s) happy. I you just do what I expect from someone in then why should I tip them? They done nothing for me other than do what they were meant to, they don't deserve a tip, they get a wage to do that job. You deserve something if you go out of your way to do something for me or others though.


    When in Rome...

    If you could convince all businesses that pay the greatly reduced minimum wage (tip-enabled jobs) to give everyone the same minimum wage so they did not -have- to depend on tips, then I'd be with your mindset. But, business gives them $2.13 an hour as opposed to most states that pay non-tip jobs at $7.50+. That's a lot of money to recoup your losses. That's just the way the law it, and it's a shame. So tip here.
  • So what of people that work these jobs and get shit wages? They're meant to tip as well if they go out for a meal? And tbh, their wage is not my concern. They knew the wages before getting started with the job I assume. Why should I have to make up for their shitty wage? If I'm going to give my money to someone like that I'd rather give it to a homeless person that doesn't have a job at all. They get paid a wage to do their job no matter how big or small that wage is, that is their agreement with the employer. If they want anything extra out of the customers they better be doing stuff for me that the other waiters in other places don't to make me think "you should get a reward for this service!" and even then I'd likely just talk them up to the manager or something in hope they'll get some sort of reward in their job instead of from me.
  • I wouldn't tip in Japan because their culture says not to. I tip in America because their culture says you should. If you can't fit in when you travel, well, I don't know what to tell you. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

    EDIT:
    "And tbh, their wage is not my concern."

    You should always care about the service you receive and how it is paid for. If you don't, you'll end up as the kind of person that doesn't care about anyone but themselves. Empathy in the working world is everything. It's just good for people to do.
  • If US servers were paid minimum wage, the cost would still be on the bill in the form of higher prices. When you don't tip in the US, you are pocketing a discount that is meant to allow you to tip the server. This is basic economics. The system could be simplier, but blaming the server for a game that they wrote none of the rules for is dickheaded.

    You don't care what the established rules of a society are? You don't think rules should apply to you? That is a recipe for being a dick wherever you go. Not liking cultural norms does not give you immunity from them. Tipping in the US is not mandatory, it is just what civilized humans do. Every culture has norms that are not legally enforced. As a guest in that culture, it is up to you whether you wish to be a good guest, or a dick.
  • vowel said:
    So what of people that work these jobs and get shit wages? They're meant to tip as well if they go out for a meal? And tbh, their wage is not my concern. They knew the wages before getting started with the job I assume. Why should I have to make up for their shitty wage? If I'm going to give my money to someone like that I'd rather give it to a homeless person that doesn't have a job at all. They get paid a wage to do their job no matter how big or small that wage is, that is their agreement with the employer. If they want anything extra out of the customers they better be doing stuff for me that the other waiters in other places don't to make me think "you should get a reward for this service!" and even then I'd likely just talk them up to the manager or something in hope they'll get some sort of reward in their job instead of from me.


    They don't sign up as a waitress or waiter under the presumption that they will only make a few bucks an hour, they sign up knowing that the expected norm is that they will get wage + tips. If there were no tips, there would be no waitresses or waiters.

    If you're in the US, you leave a damn tip. No two ways about it. Not doing it is a dick move. Most waitresses are in the lower income bracket; trying to pay for college, or working a later job as they hit older age. They need the tips.

    Sunflower said:
    When in Rome...

    If you could convince all businesses that pay the greatly reduced minimum wage (tip-enabled jobs) to give everyone the same minimum wage so they did not -have- to depend on tips, then I'd be with your mindset. But, business gives them $2.13 an hour as opposed to most states that pay non-tip jobs at $7.50+. That's a lot of money to recoup your losses. That's just the way the law it, and it's a shame. So tip here.


    This and westsw have pretty much wrapped it up. In the US, they don't make enough money without tips, and it's fully expected that you will tip. There isn't really an argument here. It's a cultural norm that has become a necessity in order to guarantee some kind of decent income for those people who wait at a restaurant.
  • westsw said:
    When you don't tip in the US, you are pocketing a discount


    Yeah, sure am. And happy about it too. You know why? Because we all like a discount, it's how people shop these days. We look for the lowest price wherever they come.

    westsw said:
    blaming the server for a game that they wrote none of the rules for is dickheaded.


    Not blaming the server at all, it's not their fault the US is how it is. But they chose to do that job for that wage and that is their fault. The problem is, almost everyone over there seems to want something for nothing. Including tips. If you want a tip, do a 'good' job serving me (and remember, decent is just doing the job I expect). Better job you do, the more chance of a tip. If you want something, work for it, you have an intensive (tips) to do more than what is expected of you. I'll give nothing if you don't do anything other than the expected, your wage no matter how big or small is for the expected. It is dickheadish to expect me or anyone else to give you something for nothing.

    westsw said:
    You don't care what the established rules of a society are? You don't think rules should apply to you? That is a recipe for being a dick wherever you go. Not liking cultural norms does not give you immunity from them. Tipping in the US is not mandatory


    I agree, as a guest in a country I should obey the rules. Problem is, the rules in this case are NOT established. You said it yourself, it's not mandatory. Civilized or not, it's not a rule if it's not mandatory, it's a suggestion. And I am not in that country to make up the wages of others. I'm unemployed, so really because I get no wages (am worse off than them), they should tip me?
  • westsw said:
    Tipping is not mandatory, neither is bathing. You do these things because you are a civilized human being.


    I personal take offense to this statement. The reason why is because I feel that everyone should EARN their money. If they are in my opinion not earning anything extra from my tight budget I will not tip them. Tips also do not have to be cash. Most of the time when I do tip it is a small amount of money and a little something for them if they do an outstanding job. The something can be anything from a $5.00 gift card to cold stone or something like that. There are only a few restaurants that I go to. I do not allways get the same person serving me but I know at one place that I go to as long as she is working she will go out of her way to serve me. Most of the time I do not leave her cash but we will sit and talk and exchange stories. She knows every person that I have dated for the last 4 years. She teases me about the new one every time I go in there with a different guy. the reason I kept going back... She remembered my name and the names of my kids after only the second time of going there. Does that make me a dick because I can not always afford a 15-20% tip? Well she would say no. she enjoys me as a customer because she knows that I will leave every penny that I can. Sometimes it is less than a dollar, sometimes it is nothing at all.

    westsw said:
    You don't care what the established rules of a society are? You don't think rules should apply to you? That is a recipe for being a dick wherever you go. Not liking cultural norms does not give you immunity from them.


    Since when was it a 'rule of a society' to give someone money that they did not earn? Since when has it been ' Not liking cultural norms' to leave a tip for shitty service.

    westsw said:
    Tipping in the US is not mandatory, it is just what civilized humans


    ... really... I guess that means that you fall into the stereotype of why the rest of the world think that Americans are stupid greedy arrogant people. if that make me uncivilized then fine... get me a Tarzan out fit and I'll start swinging around on vines and talking to apes. When tipping was set up is was meant to be kudos for the person for doing something above and beyond their job. I would not say that they have to be outstanding but they do need to refill my coffee cup with out being asked to do so when I place it at the end of the table, They need to make sure that I have sugar and cream for my coffee are stocked so that I can have my coffee. They need to make sure that there are napkins on the table and they need to have a smile on their face. I do not go to 'fancy places' for the most part me being able to afford to go to IHOP or restaurants that are similar to Denny's is a treat that I have to save for for about 6 months just so I can take my kids out for something special. Why should I leave money for someone that slams my plate on the table never smiles and I had to ask a half dozen times to refill my coffee the first time. They will not receive one penny from me. I do not care if they were just having a bad day but they did not earn my money on that day.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week