Yakuza 5 News Thread
  • Sega… fed up with Yakuza? Apparently not! The latest issue of Famitsu has three major developments on the series.

Toshihiro Nagoshi, creator of the series, formed a new studio under Sega called the “Yakuza Studio.” If it isn’t self-explanatory, it’s a studio that will produce Yakuza games. They currently have two projects in the works.

The first project, which will be shown off at the Tokyo Game Show next month, is a sequel to PSP’s Yakuza: Black Panther. It will release on PSP in spring 2012.

The second project is a bit more major. Yakuza 5 is in development. Nagoshi didn’t share details, but hopefully more information will come at his press conference tomorrow morning in Tokyo.

-----------------

I knew Sega couldn't step away from this, it's like Japan's Halo basically :P

Source http://gematsu.com/2011/08/yakuza-5-in-development
  • Well, that's very good news! : ) They let us down a bit when they said Yakuza Of The End was their last. I wouldn't want them to change anything about the game, just a PURE Yakuza game. :D
  • I have yet to play any of the yakuza games. Though, it's good to hear that they are still being made. Someday, I will play yakuza... Some day.
  • Image for Yakuza Black Panther:

• Yakuzas 3 and 4 are the two games out right now that would make me buy a PS3. Unfortunately, I'm saving up for a new computer to play Skyrim with.
  • Yeah, I'm a bit surprised by Yakuza 5 being announced so soon, and at all to be honest. Especially after the Of The End thing and leading us to believe that it would be, you know, the end. Plus all that talk of wanting to branch out to make different kinds of games, that's what Binary Domain was supposedly all about iirc. I guess they really have become Japan's Halo, or a much more scary thought: SEGAs new Sonic! I was expecting we'd see more spin offs at some point with new characters and I'm not surprised there's a sequel to Black panther coming (the 1st is one of the best games on PSP there is) but I'm actually a bit worried about Yakuza 5 this soon. I'm hoping they meant previously by "This is the end" the current gameplay cycle, but it feels like SEGA execs pulling in the reins. I love Yakuza, but the same mini-games and the same map every game and everything else is starting to get a little old. I really felt it with Of The End especially. That game felt rushed, the gunplay wasn't anything to rave about, and it was definitely the weakest entry in the series so far. I hope it doesn't signal the downturn of the series. They need to hit it out the park with Yakuza 5 imo.
  • Just to add a few things after doing some reading. Yakuza 5 is not "in production", it's an idea being tossed about the office at this stage. It will be made, but it's unknown when production will officially start. Nagoshi (Yakuza's creator) will be watching over the final stages of Binary Domain's development (scheduled for Feb 2012 release) and then Black Panther 2 before Yakuza 5. He also basically admitted Yakuza 5 is being made because SEGA said so. Of The End was intended to be the final chapter in the main saga, but due to "fan demand" and his team "recently finding a new avenue to take the project", it has been brought back from its very very short death.

Team Yakuza is also actually several teams which will be working on several projects simultaneously according to Nagoshi.

I hope these guys can keep the quality going. My cynical side says they won't be able to but I remain hopeful. If SEGA pimp Yakuza out like they did Sonic I'm going to visit the CEO and teabag him and his wife, so he can understand how the fans feel.

On a brighter note Binary Domain is looking good. They are bringing the same quality of voice acting to BD as they did with Yakuza. They are currently doing the voice recording apparently and lots of Japanese actors and whatnot were recruited for various roles. I hope they can nail the shooting mechanics because the story and everything else for this game looks pretty interesting.
  • Never played a yakuza game, ever.
  • Haven't bought 4 yet and haven't even started 3, even worse, I'm only haveway through 2 at the moment. I'd still buy 5 (once I buy 4).
  • SpaceOfSoul said:
    Never played a yakuza game, ever.

What did you just say... 13 hours ago? You go play that game, Right Now! You are missing... A LOT! I can't play it cuz as I previously said on another thread, I beat the 1st, but can't for by G-d's will find a darn copy of the 2nd that actually works without freezing on a specific chapter! Btw, I got the 4th at launch along with the 3rd, yet never tried them. : (

ConsoleHandheldGamer said:
    Haven't bought 4 yet and haven't even started 3, even worse, I'm only haveway through 2 at the moment. I'd still buy 5 (once I buy 4).

LOOOOL!! X D
  • Some minor details:

More hardly surprising Yakuza 5 revelations have surfaced from Weekly Famitsu. In addition to the game's platform (PS3) and location (Sapporo, Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka and Fukuoka), the magazine reveals that Kazuma Kiryu will be the main character.
    Series producer Toshihiro Nagoshi hinted as much in interviews following the game's announcement, so this isn't too surprising.
    The big question, of course, is if Kazuma will be alone. The past couple of console Yakuza games have had multiple playable main characters. In an interview with Famitsu this week, Nagoshi would not say if the game will have multiple main characters.
    Here are some of the other bits from Famitsu's first look at the sequel:
    • The game will have massive volume.
    • Nagoshi says that if likening the series to a house, 5 would be like building a new house rather than adding an extension to an existing house.
    • The five cities will be of scale at or beyond the previous Osaka (Dotonbori) and Okinawa (Ryukyu) locations.
    • Rather than seeking out hostesses to appear in the game, Sega will be traveling to the five cities to seek out girls who will serve as a cheering squad for the game. The girls will appear in commercials as well.
    • The game will have presentation improvements, including shortened load times, improved camerawork and better character expressions. The team is using some of the knowhow they gained from working on Binary Domain.
    • The game will also have improved technology to allow for seamless conversations and battles. Nagoshi says that you will be surprised with the result.
    • The story will connect directly with Yakuza 4. It will not carry over from the zombie-themed Yakuza Of the End.
    • Masayoshi Yokoyama is now a producer. On past Yakuza games, he worked on such areas as script and scenario.
    • Development is currently in an early phase. Famitsu lists the game as date TBA.

• It looks like they've developed a new engine. Seems to be becoming a trend:

PlayStation 3 exclusive Yakuza 5 features five main characters and is set in five cities: Sapporo, Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka and Fukuoka.

The five main characters are Kazuma Kiryu, Taiga Saejima, Shun Akiyama, Haruka and Tatsuo Shinada, according to Japanese magazine Famitsu (via Andriasang). All five are playable.

Shinada, a former baseball player, is the newcomer. He was slapped with a life ban for gambling, but apparently he's innocent. And in debt.

Kiryu is working as a taxi driver in Fukuoka. Soejima is doing time behind bars. Akiyama is in Osaka on business. Haruka left Okinama to become an idol, and is living on her own in Osaka. It seems her talent agency has some nefarious plan for her. The story connects directly with Yakuza 4.

Designer Toshihiro Nagoshi said the game uses a new engine, which means zombie spin-off Yakuza of the End marks the end of the engine that served the series so well. Because of this, Yakuza 5 is considered a "New Yakuza", with better controls, and a bigger and better script.

Yakuza 5 is 70 per cent complete. It's out in Japan on PlayStation 3 in December.

EUrogamer
  • Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenz:

• These seem to be coming out awfully fast........ maybe too fast for their own good.
  • Well Yakuza is ridiculously formulaic and they reuse a TON of stuff, so dev time is reduced by a hell of a lot.
  • Sunflower said:
    Well Yakuza is ridiculously formulaic and they reuse a TON of stuff, so dev time is reduced by a hell of a lot.

Emphasis on the ridiculous. I still remember that fight in Yakuza 2. Also, I had no idea the Yakuza team made Binary Domain.
  • Just picked up Yakuza 3 yesterday. Definitely didnt need another game but it was so tempting at 12.99. SO TEMPTING!!! I'll skip Yakuza 4 and get this right away if I like Y3 enough.
  • somaliangangsterpuff said:
    Just picked up Yakuza 3 yesterday. Definitely didnt need another game but it was so tempting at 12.99. SO TEMPTING!!! I'll skip Yakuza 4 and get this right away if I like Y3 enough.

Do NOT skup Yakuza 4. Story is really important in these games which is hwy you will sit in place for an hour inn Yakuza 3 just to get the storied from the first two games. Just because they always bring things up and you won't understand what people are talking about.
  • Sunflower said:
    Well Yakuza is ridiculously formulaic and they reuse a TON of stuff, so dev time is reduced by a hell of a lot.

...... How come nobody bitches about that? I mean, MW3 re-used a building from CoD4 and people flipped their shit and it was front page news on many sites..... and yet nobody seems to care when Yakuza games do it?
  • Well, it's not quite as large a team, and the reused assets are, by and large, because they reuse the same cities without changing them.
  • Chip said:
    ...... How come nobody bitches about that? I mean, MW3 re-used a building from CoD4 and people flipped their shit and it was front page news on many sites..... and yet nobody seems to care when Yakuza games do it?

Because Yakuza is based in reality, and a large part of most of the games occur in the same city, so why would it change? And many cities of any given country, by and large, have a lot of repeating scenery anyway, so it would be a dumb argument to bring against Yakuza to begin with. Also, almost ALL of the shops and locales that appear in Yakuza really do exist in Japan, so claiming they are being cheap by reusing the same stores or signs is the equivalent of getting angry at your local council for not redesigning and overhauling the city you live in every other year. You don't walk down your own local street on Tuesday pissed that the scenery is the same as it was on Monday, or get stroppy when the McD's in one city looks just like it does in any other.
  • XxBarretxX said:
    Do NOT skup Yakuza 4. Story is really important in these games which is hwy you will sit in place for an hour inn Yakuza 3 just to get the storied from the first two games. Just because they always bring things up and you won't understand what people are talking about.

Alright alright besides seeing as bioshock's next year Max Payne 3 is finished and All stars is the only other new game that looks appealing to me this year I'll have some time with it.
    Chip said:

People do. 4 got pretty bad reviews because of that reason.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week