Rate the Last Movie You've Seen!
  • TRF, you must love movies! I'm really enjoying your reviews. Keep up the great work, my friend.
  • Slixshot said:
    TRF, you must love movies! I'm really enjoying your reviews. Keep up the great work, my friend.

Why thank you. I'm an aspiring film reviewer. I have a film blog at http://www.magjournal.net (shameless plug). Right now it's kind of bare with only two reviews, but I'm gonna start writing reviews like a mofo soon (I'm working on Horrible Bosses and The Tree of Life right now).

Might eventually get into filmmaking as well.
  • The Rise of the Planet of the Apes - A

The movie my wife and I were going to see was Horrible Bosses, but circumstances made us miss it so we went and saw this instead. I'm really glad we did, because this is the best movie of the summer I've seen this year. Special effects are amazing. Ceasar is played wonderfully by Andy Serkis, and the rest of the cast (save for the girlfriend) do a great job as well. The action took quite a while to get to, but the setup was just as enjoyable to watch.

The Expendables - F

What a pile of shit. Why did they even make this? The plot is paper thin. The acting is horrible. HORRIBLE! Stallone and Statham have no chemistry, no brotherly bond. They look like a pair of idiots pumping their fists in the air and trying to occasionally be funny, which of course falls flat. The other guys only have a few lines a piece, and that is probably for the best. I love me a Jet Li film, and it was kind of sad to see him getting his ass kicked. The only one who made you want to listen to what they had to say was Mickey Rourke, and I feel bad his talent was wasted on this crap. Now, I know most action movies aren't going to be great story tellers, but at least they should have good action. And this one does, sometimes. Near the end, it just gets crazy stupid, as in, this could never happen. Jason Statham had some pretty sweet moves, but not comparable to other work he has done. Don't waist your time with this one, not worth watching.
  • Limitless: D

Just terrible writing. There is a drug that makes you the smartest man on Earth. Clearly it was invented by someone who did not have the drug, so you are smarter than them. Yet somehow this jerk keeps running out. Obviously the first thing you do is reverse engineer the drug and make more. The basic conflict of the film is a plot hole. Also, how would the super geniuses who have the drug let any wander off to random people? Also, why would the smartest man on Earth choose such established forms of success at the end. Why is it just petty greed at the end. Terrible writing, like Flowers for Algernon written by someone with way too many chromosomes.
  • Pink Flamingos (John Waters, 1972) ZERO
    The acting and the script are some of the worst I've seen and the plot is paper thin, but even that's not terrible compared to the film's main problem. It's the most vile, tasteless, offensive, and disgusting film I've ever seen in my entire life. I don't even want to give examples of what makes it disgusting, but it's incredibly shocking to say the least. I don't even know if I can call it a film. To call it the same thing one would call The Godfather is an insult. Hell, to call it the same thing one would call Meet the Spartans is an insult. This is the worst movie I've ever seen in my entire life. The previous winner, Birdemic: Shock and Terror, was one of the most poorly-made films I've ever seen, but it never shocked or offended me like this film did. Not only can't I recommend this film, but I strongly, and I mean STRONGLY recommend you stay the hell away from it.

National Lampoon's Animal House (John Landis, 1978) ****
    There's really not much to say about this movie. It's stupid, it's sophomoric, but hell, it's a comedy classic. The entire ensemble is hilarious and very likeable, including Tom Hulce, Tim Matheson, Kevin Bacon, and the late, great John Belushi. I dare you to see this film without laughing your ass off.

Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis, 1993) ***
    The script is dry and witty, and Bill Murray is perfectly cast, as he is also dry and witty. There's not much to say about this one either, as it's also a comedy classic. It's cool to see how the repetition really shapes Murray's character as he learns to be a better person.

Dr Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick, 1964) ****
    The movie is very smart and very clever. It's not laugh-out-loud funny, but it's easy to appreciate the wit of the script. The performances are great, and I really like the black-and-white look of the film. It's definitely a great satire on the nuclear scare of the Cold War.

Seven (David Fincher, 1995) ***½
    I really loved this movie. The acting is fantastic, and the film is intense and suspenseful. My eyes were glued to the screen from start to finish. This is definitely a film I will revisit time and time again.
  • The Maltese Falcon (John Huston, 1941) ****
    Definitely one of the best mystery films I've ever seen. It kept me guessing on many different occasions regarding many different plot points. Humphrey Bogart has a great on-screen presence that really adds to films he's in, and I think few actors can really do that for me (Robert Downey, Jr. is one of the more modern actors with a presence like that as is George Clooney). No matter what material they're given, they can entertain just by delivering lines.

Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007) ****
    Very good movie. Probably one of the best serial killer films I've seen, and possibly the best Fincher film I've seen so far. The performances are great, and I couldn't look away. I was glued to this film from start to finish. I never even bothered to continually check how much time was left, which I usually catch myself doing. My only problems are that the characters are almost always working and not doing much else so they're not really fleshed out, and the film skips ahead so much that it's hard to keep track of what point you are at in time, plus it never really feels like much time has passed to begin with. Still, it's a cool look at a notorious crime spree and I enjoyed nearly every moment of it.

The Expendables (Sylvester Stallone, 2010) ***
    It's cheesy, it's stupid, it's over-the-top, but goddamn is it entertaining. I love me some Jason Statham, and the ensemble cast as a whole works great. The "actors" have chemistry between them you don't usually see in action films like this. The dialogue is terrible, but in a fun way, and the blood looks so fake you'll almost enjoy it. I look forward to the sequel next summer which is supposed to have Jean-Claude Van Damme and Chuck Norris join the team (they still need Kurt Russell, though).
  • It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Stanley Kramer, 1963) ****
    I went into this one expecting it to be boring and for the humor to be dated, but wow was I wrong. This is one of the most fun comedies I've seen in a really long time. The ensemble cast is great, especially Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett as two comedy writers who get into the funniest of the situations in the film. It's a long film, especially for a comedy, but it's still enjoyable all the way through. I'm probably gonna look for the original cut of the film, which is three and a half hours long.
  • Watching Machete now and it is an over the top roller-coaster , it is nice to see Dany Trejo not die in the first 5 minutes, and it has a great cast a fun movie.

Last week i saw Legion and i was pleasantly surprised, great idea, don't get the whole Angels possessing people stuff. but a good movie i enjoyed it.
  • Men in Black (Barry Sonnenfeld, 1997) ***
    Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith have great chemistry in this action-packed and very funny science fiction film. The effects are obviously dated but the aliens look really cool and the gadgets are really creatively made. It's obvious why this is a classic. I'm not saying it's moving or life-changing or philosophical or anything, but it's a well-made action-comedy that's incredibly fun.
  • Turner and Hooch A
    Don't know when this came out, but I really loved the movie. Tam Hanks is believable, and the Chemistry with him and the love interest is wonderful. Not to mention the premise and story of the movie itself is great. I'm not one for reviews, or at least for writing them, but I really loved this film.
  • 127 Hours (Danny Boyle, 2010) ****
    This film really is inspiring and it gives you appreciation for life. While I found Franco's performance to be overrated, he did a good job and I have to give him props for holding his own without really having anyone to work off of. The cinematography and script are absolutely fantastic. There are some really cool shots from inside Ralston's veins or inside his water bottle. The actual amputation scene uses a blend of shocking images and sharp, startling sound effects to make one of the most intense film scenes I've seen in recent years. I never loved Danny Boyle but he's been hitting it out of the park with Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours.
  • Source code. C.
    usually my kind of movie but either I am getting used to this kind of movie or this one was just way to predictable.
    i think the latter being the way the virtual world was established.
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Phil Lord/Christopher Miller, 2009) ***
    I was shocked at how funny this movie was. It really is very clever, and even has one particularly funny and subtle joke that pokes fun at Roland Emmerich. On top of that, the art style is great and the voice work is fantastic, with voices provided by Bill Hader, Anna Faris, Bruce Campbell, Andy Samberg, and Neil Patrick Harris.

The Naked Gun (David Zucker, 1988) ***
    I love these 1980's spoof movies. The Naked Gun flings gags at you a mile a minute. The bumbling protagonist, Frank Drebin, is played by the late, great Leslie Nielsen, whose deadpan performance really enhances the film's comedy, although it does get old after a few viewings.
  • I watched The Hurt Locker (****) and 127 Hours (****) yesterday, but I won't review them since I recently reviewed them already.
  • watched Of Mice And Men last night..a solid A
  • Glengarry Glen Ross (James Foley, 1992) ****
    What a fantastic movie. The ensemble cast is great, featuring Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, and Alec Baldwin. The script is smart but accessible, and you really get the sense of desperation Lemmon's character is going through.

Megamind (Tom McGrath, 2010) ***½
    I wasn't expecting this movie to be as entertaining as it was. It's very funny and makes a lot of cool references to the Superman lore (no turning back time, unfortunately). It's also not as predictable as I, well, predicted. I expected certain deus ex machinas to occur and they didn't. The voice cast is great, featuring Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Jonah Hill, David Cross, and Brad Pitt, as well as Ben Stiller and J.K. Simmons in smaller roles. There's also enough cool action to balance out the comedy, although this film is mainly a comedy.
  • Home Alone (Chris Columbus, 1990) *
    What an awful movie. Macauley Culkin is such a lousy actor. Then you've got Joe Pesci doing this hunk of crap the same year he did Goodfellas, and even appearing in the sequel the same year he did My Cousin Vinny! The film relies solely on unfunny and often disturbing slapstick humor. Culkin's character is sadistically sociopathic. We're supposed to be rooting for him, but oddly enough, I feel really bad for these burglars who are being physically abused a la Saw, and Culkin's character doesn't seem scared but rather enjoys this little "game." It's fucked up man. Fucked. Up.

Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn (Shigeyasu Yamauchi, 1995) **½
    Having not followed the series in a long time, I really didn't enjoy this as much as I would've many years ago when I was a fanboy of the show. The film kinda jumps into the plot really quickly, so you're really thrown into the action from the start. My big problem is that there's not really much of a story. I know the film is really aimed more towards a younger audience, so I can't really say it's a bad movie. The action is what you would expect from Dragon Ball Z, i.e. pretty decent. If the film was a bit longer with a little more in the beginning, I might enjoy it, but it was too simple for me to really get into. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't particularly enjoy it too much either.

Heat (Michael Mann, 1995) ***½
    I can't believe I put off watching this movie for so long. I really enjoyed it. The performances were uniformly excellent (save for Al Pacino, who I thought was very inconsistent), and the action was exhilarating. I also really liked how the film focused on De Niro, the antagonist, as much as it did on Pacino, the protagonist. To see the antagonist of a film get fleshed out like that is a rarity, but Heat pulled it off, to the point where I couldn't even figure out who I wanted to cheer for. Heat is one of the best heist films I've ever seen.

Run Lola Run (Tom Tykwer, 1998) ***
    Imagine the game Mirror's Edge crossed with the film Groundhog Day. It's frenetic, exhilarating, fast-paced, and non-stop. It was cool to see how Lola's interaction with people changed the outcome of their lives, and how even doing so much as bumping into someone changed the previous way their life was headed. Very cool movie. I have to fault it for lacking any kind of substance or story, but it's a very fun, very stylish thriller.

I also watched Inglourious Basterds (****) again, but I won't review it since I reviewed it a few weeks back.
  • buried, 8/10 awesome, cant really make a review without spoiling something so all can really say is it was a good flick, very intense for just beeing in a coffin
  • Avatar (James Cameron, 2009) **½
    The movie is pretty much nothing but eye candy, but it does succeed at that. The environments are breathtakingly gorgeous, and the world is full of creativity. That being said, the film is lacking in almost every other area. The script is incredibly weak and gives a "been there, done that" sort of feeling. The dialogue is very simple and insults the audience's intelligence. The performances range from decent to lousy, although the motion capture for the Na'vi is solid. Overall, the film has strong visuals and cinematography, as well as the occasionally cool action scene and a good score, but is plagued by lack of any real storytelling or subtlety.

Four Lions (Chris Morris, 2010) ***½
    Very funny movie. The dialogue is hilarious and I like the way the movie was shot (camcorder-style). The film does lack a sort of focus and doesn't come together to tell a real story, but the characters are very likeable and there are some genuinely sad moments in the film.

Warrior (Gavin O'Connor, 2011) ****
    I knew I would enjoy this movie, but I was stunned at how much I actually did. The acting is fantastic, and Nick Nolte and Tom Hardy both deserve Oscar nods for Best Supporting Actor. The fight scenes are incredibly well-choreographed. They're fast-paced, exhilarating, unpredictable, and are better than any fight scenes in any films of recent years. Warrior is inspiring, moving, and powerful. It's a story about brotherhood that will tug at your heart strings. Definitely one of the best fighting movies I've ever seen. Better than Rocky, Fight Club, Million Dollar Baby, Cinderella Man, etc. (not as good as Raging Bull, though)
  • Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011) ****
    The film feels like a modern retelling of Taxi Driver, my all-time favorite film, which I wasn't expecting. Any film that makes me feel the way I felt about that movie deserves major props. This is a great movie. Ryan Gosling is awesome in this movie, although I wish he would've talked a little more. His silence works well in most of the scenes but there are some scenes where it becomes a little frustrating. In addition, the movie is chock full of brutal violence that had me covering my eyes and cringing more than a couple of times. For example, there's one scene where Gosling takes out an assailant in an elevator and stomps on his head. You don't see anything, but you can hear his skull crack as it caves in under Gosling's foot. The violence feels out of place in an otherwise subtle, cool, and collected film. Overall, though, it was incredibly good and I can't recommend it enough, although you should avoid it if you're the impatient type, as it is quite slow to begin with.
  • Contagion (Steven Soderbergh, 2011) ***
    It was good, not great. The acting was solid, although I felt that many of the characters and plotlines were useless in this movie, specifically Matt Damon's plotline as well as Marion Cotillard's. It's kind of scary how fast the disease spread, and it almost felt like a zombie apocalypse kind of movie, only more grounded in reality. Overall, it's a good movie and it's effective in its vision, but it was definitely held back by useless fluff like Damon's and Cotillard's stories.
  • mars needs women c

it started off extremely campy. we are talking plan nine from outter space kind of campy. but when the martians started walking around Houston it got much better. when i say better i mean that it was closer to a 40 year old B movie rather than one of the worst films ever made as far as directing goes.
    there was some parts that caught my interest just because im a fan of history and thinking about the fact that my mom was 18-19 when this was made and there was a couple big scenes in a college....well it gave me a little glimpse as to what it would have been like when she was a young adult.
  • Switched to a 4-star rating system now . . . I keep getting bored of my rating systems so I change them constantly, lol.

Fargo (Ethan Coen/Joel Coen, 1996) ****
    I really do adore this movie. It's dark humor in its purest and greatest form. This is definitely one of the best dark comedies I've ever seen. Frances McDormand and William H. Macy give Oscar-worthy performances (too bad Macy was robbed of his; at least McDormand got hers). The great supporting cast includes Peter Stormare, Harve Presnell, John Carroll Lynch, and the always great, but under-appreciated, Steve Buscemi. Fargo is, by far, one of the best films the Coen brothers have crafted.

Alone in the Dark II (Michael Roesch/Peter Scheerer, 2008) ½
    Words cannot begin to describe how lousy this movie was. The shaky cam is nauseating, the performances are laughably bad, and it contained not a single mildly scary or even creepy scene. My expectations were about as low to the ground as Verne Troyer and I still was shocked at how criminally bad it was.

White Chicks (Keenen Ivory Wayans, 2004) **
    I had mixed hopes for this. On one hand, it was received horribly by critics, but on the other hand, it has a cult status and many people love it. I'd be inclined to agree with the critics. The jokes are unoriginal, repetitive, and predictable from a mile away, the prosthetics suck, and the plot is so nonexistent you'd swear it didn't exist. On the plus side, Terry Crews does bring humor to his role. He's a scene stealer (although that's not saying much), and the only funny scenes in the movie are his doing, but even he can't save the film from being the mediocre heap of crap that it is.
  • Hobo with a Shotgun. It is what it is.
  • Moneyball: 8/10

A little borderline cheesy at times, but what a good movie. It's really more about thinking outside the box and not being withholden to traditional thinking, disguised as a baseball movie, than just a straight up baseball movie. I mean, obviously the baseball part is everywhere, but this isn't just a baseball fan movie. It's a really enjoyable character study and look and the risks one takes in changing the system. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill were both very good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week