Rate the Last Movie You've Seen!
  • God's Own Country (8/10):

Really, really down to earth film, in every way. The dialogue, the mud and dirt, the minimalist noise, the not-shaky-cam-but-not-super-crisp frequent close-up facial shots. This feels like its own little world in a film so well. I like too how it doesn't shy away from Scottish slang and accents. My biggest gripe is mostly the ending; it's too neat and kind of sappy. And I wouldn't say the overarching story is terribly brilliantly amazing so much as it is just super well packaged and presented. Compelling though, good acting, grounded, and touching.
  • Deadpool 2 (8/10): Funnier than the original, and while it has a decent amount of pop culture references that wont age well, it has gags and wordplay too. It loses maybe some of the freshness of the first but it's just consistently more humorous and edgy, in a good, funny provocative way, not angry 19 year old edgelord way. I wish we got to see more of Negasonic and Yukio but Domino was good and Ryan Reynolds is clearly all in on this role. Really enjoyable time, lots of laughs and even some singing in the theatre during the musical interludes.

Hush (5/10): Slid if unspectacular home invasion movie. Gory and exploitative like always and a bit predictable but I like the framing and having a deaf woman lead. It doesn't try to do or say too much or be too complicated or over the top.

Phantom of the Opera (2004?) (6/10): This is my fav musical of all time and I've always purposely avoided the live action movie for that reason. I've seen it live 6 times now in 5 different cities, 3 of them out of state and two out of the country, and I freaking love it. This is a largely faithful, cromulent adaptation with two unnecessary scenes of fluff; sadly, one of which is added on at the end for no reason. There's some cheesy slow mo in a totally unneeded almost drowning scene too. Christine Daae is great, Phantom is good, Raoul is... eh. Side characters are good, particularly the theatre owners. It's a good enough movie to watch on its own but pales compared to seeing it live. I did appreciate the extravagance of some sets that they captured on camera better. The cool tracking down the aisle shots in Masquerade obviously can't be done in a musical. Its use of camera like that was the best part of this being a movie, there were some clever shots. Just needed to chill on the added content and slow mo, and get a better actor for Raoul.

Wanted (6/10): Re-watched it after last seeing it in theatres a decade ago. Standard wish-fulfillment action setup but with just enough style and humour to stand out a bit. Sort of shitty to women and the twist is too hamfisted but I appreciate the main character being an alright guy. Definitely aimed at the 20 year old dude who wishes he could be a badass with guns crowd. That's not a compliment.
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story

The opening isn't the sharpest; part of me appreciates the understatedness of it all but there are some pretty gnarly contrivances, but this movie quickly and effectively charms in a whole lot of ways. It's visually fantastic, featuring some excellent shots of Corellia and fun ships and just really great outfits/costume design (maybe the best yet?). The dude who plays Han is surprisingly up for the role, and the movie from beginning to end never retroactively changes who he is in the OT, and does a good job giving context to his personality and explaining both his roguish, self-centered exterior in the OT that gradually gives way to a heart of gold. L3, the major droid this time round, is good, but I worry this structure now of having the droid be the smarmy, smart-ass comic relief is going to be a consistent thing in the offshoots, since Rogue One had it too. Glover as Lando is great, his character is given way more emotional depth and he plays it with a charm and also surprising amount of personal clumsiness that works really well. Mostly, this movie is in many ways a more traditional Star Wars film, but unlike, say, Last Jedi, which tried to bend the rules but then be cheaply 'traditional' by using a ton of callbacks and quotes and reused lines, this one is traditional in mood (definite space western) and arch and tone, but has far and away the fewest callbacks or direct references of any of the now 4 Disney films. I don't think "stand alone OTish-type movie" with lower stakes but a more inclusive cast is at all a bad thing. It's not revelatory but it's very fun, has a great cast, a rollicking pace, and a good amount of heart. There is one semi-twist I felt was a little iffy, although it makes Han's backstory fascinating, and they used one character from the prequels and animated series whose arc I still have a big time issue with. Mostly, it's just fun! It's a cool, quick moving space western that doesn't have to exist but I am glad it does. A story doesn't have to be must tell to be worth telling. This movie, I felt like, definitely was the latter.

I award this movie 10 lucky dice out of 10, and make sure to have your cool, hands on belt buckles pose ready.
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • @GoodEnoughForMe

Twitter ruined that one big cameo for me, bleh.

---
    Deadpool 2 (9/10)

I loved the first one, but had more fun with this one. Josh Brolin's Cable is wickedly good.
  • Watched Deadpool 2, it is hilarious!!
    The extra scene with Deadpool using cable's time device is very funny.

Also watched David Cronenberg's rabid, an interesting take on the vampire/zombie movies
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story. Can't add anything to GEFM's review.  At this stage we're 2 for 2 of me thinking the stand alone side stories are both better Star Wars films and just better films overall than either of the main-line movies.  As much as I respect what TLJ tried to do with the way the Force works, I haven't felt that either of the main films has nailed the 'feel' of SW - the action's too bombastic, the script's too sassy, the comedy's too slapstick, the characters too comic-book.

Rogue One and Solo succeed in building on the wider SW universe that you got a sliver of a taste of in the original films without feeling the need to bring it all back around to some throwaway line from some major character 20 years ago or something. Just seeing what Correlia looked like (including Star Destroyers mid-build) would've cause 6-year-old me's brain to do a backflip.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge was a bit wasted - she was so, so, so good in Fleabag. You should watch Fleabag. You should really watch Fleabag.
  • Had a hankering to watch some films a couple of weekends ago and, going down the list of films I keep suggesting to Mrs Littleg but she vetoes, I ended up settling on a pair of well-respected cerebral sci-fi female-fronted flicks

Annihilation The first of the two and one I had very high expectations for based on the fact that I had only heard good things about it. That being the case, I was actually pretty disappointed with Annihilation. I could see that it might have worked better in cinemas, but on TV it didn't really land well for me.  I like it when films are serious and moody, but it felt like this film just nudged the moodiness knob a nudge too far, leaving you with a series of barely-human, unrelatable characters saying melodramatic things to each other before another extended silent sequence.

Special mention on that front for Jennifer Jason Leigh who turns in a genuinely astonishing performance - hard to believe a director would sit in on her bizarre delivery of lines throughout the filming of this and think "Yep, that's exactly what I had in mind for this character".  I get that she was playing a sociopathic psychiatrist who wants to die, but...really?

The film looked good and, despite some slightly laughable science, the premise is at least interesting.  The almost 2001-esque trippy sequence at the end was probably the highlight for me and was the closest the film came to genuine horror (beyond even some genuinely spooky monsters and body horror earlier in the film). Saw the reveal at the end coming a mile off...

Arrival Surprisingly enjoyable for a film about language and semantics with little to no identifiable action sequences.  I especially like that the dream-like nature of whole stretches of the film and the apparently mixed-up nature of the timeline during the flash-back parts is totally explained and actually thematically appropriate.  Was very much reminded of the China Mieville book Embassytown which is also about a lady who acts as interpreter to an alien species whose language is so different from our own it actually changes how they interact with reality.  Also, totally saw the reveal at the end coming a mile off...
  • The Thing - Bought the BluRay, and I'm talking about the John Carpenter version, not that awful prequel that came out. Still holds up after all these years. And CGI still can't beat puppets or special effects that have something really be there for the actors to react too. 9/10

Tremors 6: A Cold Day In Hell - Well, God has certainly left this place when it comes to this series. I enjoyed this only in the sense that it provided ample opportunity for mockery at the failure that it is. 2/10

Blade Runner 2049 - This was a lot better than I thought it would be, although the plot twists were a bit too predictable. A surprisingly good film considering how low the bar is set these days, but still not quite as good as the first movie. 9/10

Buried Alive - Another one from decades ago. Bad but charming in the way B-grade schlock from the 80's used to be. YouTube is a treasure trove of forgotten classics, uploaded straight from VHS. 3/10
  • Well I've slacked on stuff, so quickly:

Hereditary (4/10): It was mostly bad and the whole back half was a cliche mess. The twist was silly. It started out so promising with regards to family trauma and abuse and quickly went off the rails. A waste of good acting. It's very creepy I guess. But so unimaginative the farther it goes.

Sorry to Bother You (8/10): It takes on a bit too much ideologically and some of the style and camera use is forced and awkward, but it's also very darkly humorous and mostly well acted, particularly from the leads. Some of the side characters less so. It creates its own alternate present day universe very successfully and has already in this short amount of time since release aged well. A few of the scene transitions are really clever and some of the practical effects they use are too. Really good soundtrack.

Love, Simon (8/10): Cute and complicated and grounded and bougie as hell but all the characters feel lived in and real and it's charming and heartfelt.

Call Me By Your Name (7/10): It drags big time early and feels aimless and without motivation, and doesn't really take off until the SEXUAL TENSION becomes apparent. Even MORE bougie than Love, Simon. I like how subtle some of the emotional and sexual frustrations of the two leads are done. Killer soundtrack and scenery. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week