Rate the Last Movie You've Seen!
  • Some friends came over last night and we were looking for a horrible/funny horror movie to watch. We ended up watching The Gay Bed and Breakfast of Terror. Cracked us up.

[video=youtube;SFa6StDAVME]
  • Hahaha wtf, im curious to watch it now. Is it on netflix?
  • SpaceOfSoul said:
    Hahaha wtf, im curious to watch it now. Is it on netflix?

yes, it's instant ;)
  • Brisby said:
    yes, it's instant ;)

Alright, awesome!
  • SpaceOfSoul said:
    Alright, awesome!

*cries because EU doesn't have Netflix*
  • Insomnia: This is a remake of a Norwegian film, directed by Chris Nolan, with excellent performances by Al Pachino, Hilary Swank, and Robin Williams. Despite this being a remake, it's still very good, not as good as Nolan's other films, but one that many should watch. It comes off as a film about an investigation, but in truth, it's all about Pachino's character and how sleep(a lack of) has effected his mental state. I'd give it a B.

The Machinist: Now, while I'd recommend seeing Insomnia, if you really want to see a movie that focuses on a single character and their inability to sleep, this is the one. It stars Christian Bale, and the film focuses on his character, who has not slept for over a year. His body has whithered away, and he's clearly losing his mind. Bale gives a fantastic performance, and it's because of him the movie manages to work so well. It's a mind fuck in many ways, and I highly recommend it. I'd give it an A.
  • Titan A.E: B
    To my surprise, this movie was great! It had comedy, action, a nice plot, some good twists and solid voice acting. I really enjoyed this movie, and recommend it to anyone looking for a good cartoon flick.
  • Dyer Makn said:
    Ok TRF, you have to be either a movie reviewer or are just picking off past movies you've enjoyed, there's no way you're watching these daily. :p

Although it did remind me I wanted to see I love you Phillip Morris, so I have to thank you for that, but I'm disappointed you didn't like Trainspotting more. :(

Well I am an aspiring film critic, and yes I actually did watch all of those movies in one day. :P

And I did enjoy Trainspotting a lot, I just found it a little dull at points, which kept it out of the A range. Still a very good movie.
  • TRF said:
    Well I am an aspiring film critic, and yes I actually did watch all of those movies in one day. :P

And I did enjoy Trainspotting a lot, I just found it a little dull at points, which kept it out of the A range. Still a very good movie.

If you're a Danny Boyle fan, definitely check out Shallow Grave if you haven't seen it!
  • Dyer Makn said:
    If you're a Danny Boyle fan, definitely check out Shallow Grave if you haven't seen it!

Will do. Thanks for the tip.
  • i like the movie wit da wirriam schmit he a goo' ato'
  • 13 Assassins (Takashi Miike, 2010) ***½
    The first half of the film is slow, but it eventually builds up to an exhilarating second half. The action is fantastic, and its an overall great film as long as you don't mind subtitles. It's sometimes hard to distinguish characters, and most of the assassins don't have real character to them, but it's solid as a jidaigeki and solid as an action film.

No Country for Old Men (Ethan and Joel Coen, 2007) ****
    The cast is great, as is the script, but the film itself is a tad bit boring. I did enjoy it a lot, but it was very slow and it couldn't keep my attention at all times like I had hoped. The ending is also pretty bad. I might have liked it more if I hadn't had such high expectations.

The Usual Suspects (Bryan Singer, 1995) ***
    The film bored me at times, but it was still a good film. Kevin Spacey gives a great performance, and the ending is really fantastic (despite having it spoiled for me).

Law Abiding Citizen (F. Gary Gray, 2009) B-
    The film works as a solid thriller, but ultimately fails in delivering its message on the less-than-perfect legal system. The action is cool, but the plot is thin and predictable and some of the kills are borderline ridiculous (like the RC car with a machine gun and missile launcher). Still, it's an enjoyable film.
  • LOL brisby, the gay bed and breakfast of terror was terrible. Couldn't sit through the whole movie.. Got to the part where Alex and that lesbian repent, and go psycho.
    Now I'm afraid to go outside, manfred might be waiting for me :P
  • SpaceOfSoul said:
    LOL brisby, the gay bed and breakfast of terror was terrible. Couldn't sit through the whole movie.. Got to the part where Alex and that lesbian repent, and go psycho.
    Now I'm afraid to go outside, manfred might be waiting for me :P

haha, well I didn't say it was good. It's a little better to watch in a group of people so everyone can make comments. ;)
  • Night of the Living Dead (George A. Romero, 1968) ****
    While not as scary as it most likely was in 1968, the film does a fantastic job of building suspense. The characters are great, and the climax of the film is intense and exciting. This is how horror films should be done; the film features no jump scares and very little musical accompaniment, yet manages to pull off a great, suspenseful atmosphere.

Sherlock Holmes (Guy Ritchie, 2009) ***
    Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law do great work as Holmes and Watson, respectively. The film is both comedic and action-packed, and both aspects are pulled off very well. While I'm not a fan of the explanation behind the mystery, the climax is exciting and I cannot wait for the sequel.

Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola, 2003) ****
    No words can do this film justice. It's my third-favorite film of all time. It's so incredibly subtle in its plot progression, as the bond between the two masterfully-acted characters grows stronger. The film is bittersweet and overall simply beautiful.

Hannibal (Ridley Scott, 2001) ***
    While not as good as Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon, I did enjoy this movie. The graphic violence is a little over-the-top, but Hannibal generally nails the dark, suspenseful nature of the series. It was weird seeing Julianne Moore playing Clarice Starling instead of Jodie Foster; in fact, I often kept forgetting who the character was. Starling and Lecter don't have the same chemistry in this compared to Silence of the Lambs, but it's still an overall enjoyable thriller.

Coming to America (John Landis, 1988) ***
    I wasn't expecting much from this movie, but it is very funny. It makes me mourn Eddie Murphy's career. I wish he would go back to making films like this and Beverly Hills Cop.
  • pirates of the caribbean on stranger tides A-

it was good to see this pirates movie was good after the last one majorly disappointed.
    lots of great pirate fighting and all around good action.
    all of my complaints are story involved, there wasnt much of it and aside from the visuals the mermaid part of the story was weak
  • A Serious Man (Ethan and Joel Coen, 2009) ****
    This is among their best films and is easily their most complex. The story is multi-layered, the characters are crafted exquisitely, and the writing is absolutely genius. It's a very subtle film, yet so powerful in its delivery without being too obvious or heavy-handed.

Birdemic: Shock and Terror (James Nguyen, 2008) ZERO
    This is the worst movie I've seen in my entire life. The film is so poorly made I can't even fathom how such a film could exist. The editing is terrible, the acting is abysmal, the effects are some of the worst I've ever seen, and the film isn't even unintentionally funny. It's just a giant piece of crap that should have never been made.

ThanksKilling (Jordan Downey, 2009) **½
    The acting is horrible and the movie is stupid, but that turkey is so goddamn funny.

Yogi Bear (Eric Brevig, 2010) *½
    It's nothing more than a mediocre kids film, but it's completely harmless. Unlike The Smurfs, the movie doesn't go for filthy humor. Don't get me wrong, it's about as funny as Carrot Top, but there are more chuckles to be had and it doesn't rely on dirty humor (which I can mildly respect).

Toy Story 3 (Lee Unkrich, 2010) ***
    There are laughs to be had with this movie, but I ultimately don't like it as much as most people do. It's a very good movie with great voice work and beautiful animation, but it's a little too sappy for me to give it anything higher than an A-, unfortunately.
  • 13 going on 30 C
    the soundtrack got my attention. It actully brought me back to when I was 13.
    but aside from the always interesting changing ages plot there wasnt much here. Although I dont think I was the target audience. But with such a predictable ending suspence wasnt what the writer or director was going for obviously.
  • Forrest Gump 9.5/10
    I don't know why I haven't seen this movie before, but yesterday I managed to watch it. I love it, I loved especially the acting, but the story was great as well. However, I don't think that reality is as cheerful as shown in the film. That is the only reason I didn't gave this 100%. The ending was uplifting and the film gave me positive energy, what more do I need from a film?!

Watch it now if you've missed it.
  • I will never, ever, ever, ever understand the love for Forrest Gump D:
  • Cloudenvy said:
    I will never, ever, ever, ever understand the love for Forrest Gump D:

That's okay. I'll never, ever, ever understand the love for Quentin Tarantino movies. I've only liked one.
  • Cloudenvy said:

If I were a bit younger I wouldn't liked it either. :)
  • Warton said:
    If I were a bit younger I wouldn't liked it either. :)

Excuse me? D:
  • Cloudenvy said:

Brisby said:
    That's okay. I'll never, ever, ever understand the love for Quentin Tarantino movies. I've only liked one.

I AGREE WITH BOTH OF THESE STATEMENTS (ok, I might give 2 to Tarantino. But that's it, and it's not love from my end).

I saw The Tourist on HBO over the weekend. 1/10, torture, utterly uncompelling and horribly acted. Avoid at all costs.
  • Cloudenvy said:

Me neither.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week