Rate the Last Movie You've Seen!
  • Inside Llewyn Davis -- 9/10

Really well acted Coen piece with some black comedy and great acting all around. Not completely sold on the colour filter and they push the lead character's incompetence and malcontent to the point where we almost lose sympathy, but it's always grounded at the last second by something that truly is out of his control. Good music, good movie about being stuck in a cycle, making incremental improvements, and how all of us, musicians or not, seem content to self-sabotage ourselves time after time. Ending is a bit of a wild one but it works given what the film is trying to say.
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 10/10

It's a Star Wars movie. That's all you need to know.
  • Terminator Genisys -- 1/10

A complete and utter waste of time. The last two movies in this series have been awful in every way. Script - awful. Acting - awful. They've made a complete mess of the lore and worldbuilding. Even the special effects aren't nearly as good relative to other movies when compared to the first 3 in this series. Skip at all costs.
  • My 2016 Oscars go to:

Hell or High Water

Arrival

Those were the two best movies I saw this year. I loved MCU Civil War, but that was great popcorn, not the art these two guys wowed me with.
  • I'm going to try to get out to Manchester by the Sea sometime this weekend. And I haven't seen Moonlight. 

Arrival has been my fav so far this year.
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

(Spoiler free)

I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I guess I'll not bury the HOT TAKE LEDE and just say that as a movie, Rogue One is more interesting than TFA. It strays from tradition more, it works emotively more, and it doesn't have plot holes that you can drive a bus through. While it's no 4-6 in that regard (they being pretty darn tight all things considered, for action movies), the few plot holes are more Segway sized than Greyhound sized.

I had hopes for this because of the director. Gareth Edwards has made two feature films, his first film, Monsters, is a shoe-string budget film about two strangers tasked with nearly impossible odds as they traverse alien infested Mexico to get to the US. But instead of playing up the Monsters and delivering some sci-fi fight fest, it presents them merely as a constant threat. Rather, the movie spends most of the screen time dwelling on our two protagonist's journey and their relationship in the toughest of circumstances. It excelled as a character piece, and was a not-so-subtle jab at immigration policies and the philosophical idea of national borders.

Godzilla was his first big-budget film, and while it had a good sense of tragedy and scale, it floundered a bit and didn't give enough time to the central characters, pandered to action set-pieces too much, rushed a lot of plot developments, and fell flat because of it.

Still, as I said, I had hope here because Edwards can really make some good characters - believable characters - as a ragtag group even in the presence of insurmountable odds- and oh my gosh that sounds like Star Wars!

And in Rogue One, he does! This is a more emotive piece. Infact, Edwards shoots for more tragedy and drama than any previous Star Wars movie, and while it's not always a success, it works way more often than it doesn't.

But perhaps most impressively is how hard this had to be. TFA had the impossible task of living up to 4-6 and starting the series off on fresh footing, not the bantha poodoo infested one Jar Jar trampled across the prequels with (as much as I still love them). And you can tell Disney wanted to stick with what worked and mirror 4-6 as much as possible. That was hard enough in terms of living up to renewed expectations.

Rogue One, too, had a really, really difficult challenge itself; how do you insert a work into a 7 movie universe as a prequel to the 4th movie that was made almost 40 years ago, and stay consistent with everything already established as cannon while still eking out a new existence?

I don't know! I wouldn't even know where to begin! Obviously, some people did, because almost every concept introduced here, every battle, every world building universe moment, is consistent with the period from 3 to 4, consistent with 4, and oftentimes a direct counter to that voice in the back of your head that would say "well what about..." Credit to everyone involved making this mostly seamless. I was expecting to come out wondering how the hell this would fit without unintentionally retconning or messing up the internal established rules. It frays the boundaries a bit, but manages to come up really clean, all things considered. There are a few things that aren't 100% seamless with 4-6, but it's so close that credit is due.

The main flaws? A few. A couple scenes teeter on the edge of melodrama. An important character is entirely CGI, for understandable reasons, but I ultimately disagree with the decision. CGI is getting there, and has come a long ways from CGI Neo in Matrix Reloaded, but it still pulls the viewer out a bit and reminds you it's all just a movie. Maybe in another 20 years or so. There are also still a decent amount of callbacks, which some love and others not so much, but other than one sort of veering into dead horse territory, the movie isn't nearly as wed to them as TFA was.

All the characters, except one (who is sadly typecast), otherwise, are pretty darn good, and shine in their own ways. The two leads are great, the droid is great. Even the minor characters have their moments.

It's a fuzzier film. The good guys aren't all good, war is awful, and the Rebel Alliance is shown to be just that; an alliance. The travesty of the Empire and the things they do, like, in 4 where they BLOW UP A PLANET are finally given some appropriate weight. It's a departure film. Literally not even 1 second into the film and you realize you're not in Kansas any more. Maybe Nebraska. Or Iowa. You get the drift.

Ultimately, it all just works. It works as an in-universe insert, up through the very last scenes that are so, so good. It works as a character piece. It works as a war piece (which, ironically, Star WARS never really has). It works emotionally, mostly. It works as tragedy. Most importantly, it works as a Star Wars film - a different one, a darker one, an edgier one, one that Lucas wouldn't have made, all due respect to how dark V was, but still, in its own, an excellent film. 

I award Rogue One...

a 10/10.
    Noobied by 2Epke sloth
  • Rogue One

It's great. Fun, even though it is dark as Vader. Fast pacing, the editing at the start is trying to keep you disoriented, in a good way. Stunning action, best twenty seconds of Vader action maybe ever. CGI Tarkin is past the uncanny valley, special effect of the year. Really emotional, you either buy in or feel jerked around. I for one loved it more than Force Awakens ( Even though I said no more Death Stars. ), and I hail our evil Disney overlords.
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • Manchester by the Sea -- 8/10

Fantastically acted piece. 2 and a half hours of a movie with no ostensible plot, but a whole lot of tragedy and heartfelt portrayals of grief. Not so much a tearjerker, rather a meditation on loss and how hard life is. Has the guts to finish without finishing.
  • Rogue One 9/10

Nothing to add to what GoodEnoughForMe   said, i enjoyed it immensely, even more than TFA, as a Hong Kong Movie fan it was fun to see Donnie Yen in a more vocal role than just the silent martial artist. K is my new Favorite droid.

The only gripe i had was in the Hanger scene, for some reason the camera was shaking constantly, that was annoying (for me). 
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • Just saw Rogue One. I like it more than any other Star Wars film and I liked 7 a lot.
    My partner is a huge fan of the franchise and he came out buzzing with similar sentiments to ranking.

I highly recommend this for even the uninitiated. It's just a beautiful war film. In space.
    Really, really beautiful.
  • Who's Camus, Anyways? -- 4/10

It starts out with a neat 7 minute opening tracking shot, and has a funny and absurd scene involving a highly inappropriate play, but other than that, there's just not much here. The movie is constantly name-dropping prestigious films to try to be witty and knowledgeable but it isn't very compelling, and the story takes way too long to get going. The acting is a bit hit-and-miss, too. It just needs to be faster and funnier or less enamored with itself.
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

I saw it again. On second viewing, I feel like awarding this Star Wars film a 10/10.
  • Carrie Fisher passed away. RIP. Star Wars will never be quite the same without her.
    Noobied by 1AshGooner
  • Sicario -- 5/10

Since I loved Arrival, I figured I needed to watch the director's other works, of which Sicario is one. Really great, grim, tense opening scene. After that it falters. For a movie that wants to portray the drug war as just as evil as the gangs it purports to fight, this movie doesn't do a very good job. Benicio Del Toro's character is vague and distant and not compelling as a hero or anti-hero. It's a bit of a mess in terms of scope, believability, and message, and I get why Mexicans were mad about it. Ultimately, for a movie that wants to be this hard-boiled and realistic, it's just too over-the-top and action-heavy. On the flipside, the soundtrack is excellent, and it dovetails nicely with the great camera work that creates a constant sense of foreboding. Emily Blunt mostly excels as her character.
  • Deadpool - Not bad. This is one of the few of these superhero type movies I could sit through. The Hugh Jackman piss-taking got some chuckles. 7/10

Bad Neighbors 2 - I once had bad oysters and spent 12 hours following on a toilet exploding from all orifices. That experience was more enjoyable than this movie. 0/10

Rogue One - I was surprised by this one. As a movie in and of itself, it is pretty bad. But as a movie for established Star Wars fans, it is quite good. Better than anything since RotJ easily. It still falls down on some points even in that context, but meh, at this point anything better than total shit when it comes to Star Wars is a pleasant surprise. 7/10
  • The Lobster -- 8/10

Talk about despondent film-making, and proof that dystopians don't all have to be 1984/Hunger Games/whatever is popular at the time. The first half of this film is rough, in a good way, a seemingly endless barrage of tragedy, cruelty, and some inspired black comedy. The acting and dialogue is off-kilter and works so well, the location is great (it's an old-fashioned hotel), and the hotel is run by a woman who seems totally inspired by the nurse from Cuckoo's Nest, which also works very well.

It's a shame, then, that the film begins to run out of ideas around the halfway point. It doesn't get bad all of the sudden, but the tragedy becomes less absurd and less abundant, some of the characters are abandoned, and the setting changes. It stops being quite as despair-inducing, funny, and fresh-feeling.

Still, it's a truly tragic and glum-hearted evisceration of a couples-obsessed culture and is a breath of fresh air in a subgenre that is seemingly constantly stale.
  • Dr Flibble your positiveness is a shining beacon to us all :P

Cronos 8/10 re-watching this i got the Bluray here in Japan, was only Spanish (with some english and Japanese subtitles) great movie about an unwilling vampire.
  • Rouge One - I had just come off of a 13 hour work shift and had 3 hours sleep so me nodding off in the cinema may not have anything to do with this movie. I liked it. I think it's well overhyped. It's a decent enough Star Wars film. I preferred Force Awakens. I want to give it another shot sans tiredness.

Triple 9 This film is full of big names. None of them really excel. No where near enough Casey Affleck. The film is just average. Nothing special.

• Hidden Figures -- 8/10

Touching if flawed. The biggest problem with this film is that it has about 4 different narratives going, and some are definitely weaker than others. The main plot and protagonist that gets the most time is well executed; while dramatized for the screen, it features some good acting, dialogue, and a nice plot arch. On the other hand, as much as I love Janelle Monae, and as much as her character provided some hard truths, she was also really underbaked. She disappeared for long segments and felt completely ancillary to the other two main characters of this story. Likewise, the marriage subplot with Taraji Henson's character is also largely ineffective and hamfisted. The choice of how to portray John Glenn is also a bit weird. They really drum up the American good ol' boy a bit heavy with him.

The rest, though, shines. The soundtrack is rousing, Henson's interactions with the all white all male NASA room she works with are well done, the lead of the project is a good and flawed character, and even Big Bang Theory dude is perfectly adequate in his role. I wouldn't say it pulls out all the punches on racism and sexism in the workplace, but it goes a lot farther than movies like 42 and similar tales that have to make a white dude the hero in the end. 

Mostly, it works way more often than it didn't, it just feels like it could have been meatier if it was just about one of the women instead of trying to fit in all three in just 2 hours. Still, worth watching and the end is emotionally effective.
  • Dr Strange  7/10

Liked lot's of fan service, they rushed a little through his training and the end was a little anti climactic and nice teasers!

Lots of crappy old SF movies on Youtube Galaxy of Terror, Star Crash
  • Sabrina -- 10/10

Characters that pop, script that charms and humours, and Bogart and Hepburn stealing the show (all due respect to Holden, who is phenomenal too). So many quotable lines. "It's all in the wrist!", "we have no bananas today..." One of Audrey's best among many.
  • Nick Fury: Agent of Shield (1998)

I know why man crossed the oceans and the Indians had to die in their millions. I know why language was invented and why man first told stories by the fire. It was all to lay the foundation for this art to be created. Honestly, I wonder how we have survived the last seventeen years, as a species. Clearly we have accomplished the goal God set for us, we have made this film. We can now die happy.

David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury. Why have we been wasting our time with Sam whatever? The film even opens with a helicopter view of the ocean, ala Baywatch. There is good David Goyer and very bad David Goyer, and this is camp awful Goyer. Finally, Marvel has it's Trolls 2. I am aware of the off brand Captain Americas.
  • The Order of the Black Eagle (1987)

I stumbled across this one on YouTube and was captivated from start to finish. It has everything. A very poor man's James Bond who has a helicopter piloting and tank driving baboon sidekick is teamed up with a beautiful blonde to go to South America to infiltrate the base of a group of Neo-Nazis led by an eye-patch wearing villain who have kidnapped the world's leading "laser scientist" and are forcing him to create a doomsday weapon for the soon-to-be revived Hitler, who they have had in cryo-sleep since the end of WW2. Explosions, stupidity, terrible acting, bad stunts, and what looks like an actual stuntman fatality caught on film, this movie has it all. 

10/10 baboons

• La La Land -- 7/10

There are some exquisite talents on display here. The directing, camera work, cinematography... it's all astounding. From the long continuous tracking shot of the extravagant opening scene and number, the camera dipping in and out of a pool in another. Chazelle imbues every shot with color and sight and focus. It's magical, really, and he has an impeccable eye for how to use the camera, distance, everything.

That's not to say everything here is smooth sailing. Ryan Gosling, while a talented actor, doesn't quite have the voice to carry him through this, and it's no wonder he has more limited and technically simple singing than Emma Stone (who is great in her role) and some of the extras. The story is simple and the ending is predictable, and the fact that the movie isn't willing to go for a knockout tragic punch means it's more bittersweet than heartbreaking. The music, while solid, isn't as memorable as other musically inclined movies and lacks that certain number #1 song that gets in your head and won't get out. Otherwise, the script has nice dashes of humour and charm.

It's a nostalgia bomb in many ways, and unfortunately, nostalgia as a value proposition is not very good. It suggests that the past is good simply by virtue of being the past, irrespective of its quality or not. You can play to old standbys and retro and the like without necessarily simply copypasting old fonts and imagery and calling it good.

The entire package is a good movie. I just find it fell short of the greatness that has been ascribed to it.
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 7/10

Watched last Friday, liked it , it was more like the older Tim Burton movies, the colors were muted, not the screaming colors like Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate factory. 

Was a little surprised that Dany Elfman didn't do the music. 

For some reason the movie had a R18 rating in Japan? while it was not darker than the last Harry Potter movies. 

Enjoyable movie, not Tim Burton's best but adequate.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week