Rate the Last Movie You've Seen!
  • @GoodEnoughForMe I give Star Wars VII one-quarter portion. 
  • I give Star Wars VII, nine midichlorians out of ten.
  • midichlorians are one of the worst things about the prequels. Do not science up my magic.

Magnificent Seven

Decent, but less than the sum of it's parts. A middling Denzel bad ass affair. On the same level as Man on Fire, well below Book of Eli. Second Denzel movie where the gattling gun is presented as an endless air strike, where lead rains everywhere. I guess it was even weirder in Book of Eli, since an M4 is a much much better weapon in most circumstances. Oh well, the saddest thing is watching Denzel and Ethan Hawke have conversations, and think about how Training Day is ten times the movie this is.
  • @westsw

How was my boyfriend, Chris Pratt?
  • He was fine.  If you love Chris Pratt you get plenty of Chris Pratt.  Who doesn't like Chris Pratt?  The film just is not as good as the cast.  It is OK.  I love a good Western.  Hell or High Water is a much better Western.
  • Watched Powerplay on the TV and 70's movie about a coup, interesting but mediocre acting 6/10
  • Lisa and the Devil I've been meaning to watch this movie for ages. This is a 70s horror film by Mario Bava! I was like WTF the whole way through. This movie is super weird, and I really enjoyed it. Every minute that Telly Savalas was on screen was a treat! Spoiler; he plays the title character and I laughed a lot... Really glad I got around to watching this one. 8/10

The Neon Demon Holy shit! Another weird horror that I really enjoyed. Keanu Reeves as some dark comic relief. And I couldn't see what was going to happen until the end and like, oh thats how this is going. I feel like they don't need to remake Suspiria b/c this really kinda nails the vibe and colors and has a great soundtrack.
    9/10

• Lost in Translation ????/10

This movie was commercial free on TV while I was eating dinner and I figured "why not watch it for like the billionth time???" So I did. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It is kind of racist. But it's so incredibly well shot and directed and moving and powerful and it's impossible not to laugh at how witty it can be and want to cry at how sad it can be and enjoy the scenery and let the amazing soundtrack wash over you. Bucket list item is totally to go to the New York Bar featured prominently in this movie. But it's super easy to spend hundreds of dollars for just a few drinks, and with it frequently filling up and having long waits, not sure I ever will. Tokyo is many things and travel is many things and I made a great friend in Saigon who I keep in touch with but will probably never see again in my life and we will slowly drift apart and look back when we're older on the moments we had. Such is life.
  • In the Mood for Love -- 8/10

Devastatingly sad movie with a couple of incredibly sympathetic leads. Tony Chiu Wai Leung in particular says so much when nothing is being said, his facial expressions and looks capturing the melancholy of every moment, the sadness of a marriage that doesn't really exist and a new love that can never really happen. Make sure to pay attention closely when reading the subs, certain scenes happen quickly and it's easy to wonder the significance of what happened. My only major complaint is the reoccurring song they use for scenes of importance. It feels all too grandiose and over-the-top for how understated the movie is, and it telegraphs things to a fault. Still, the last 30 minutes or so are brutal. Regrets and missed opportunities are the worst.
  • Chungking Express -- 10/10

Absolutely brilliantly written movie. Line after line of narration and dialogue that are clever, heartfelt, and oftentimes funny. This is a two part movie, with a decidedly noir-ish and melancholy first half giving way to a more whimsical and happy (although still touchingly sad) 2nd half. Some absolutely fantastic framing with camera shots, use of mirrors, and tracking and foreground objects. A good soundtrack. But this movie wins it all in the script. It's just so, so evocative and humorous and touching. I have to finish this informal trilogy by watching 2046 now. 
  • Hellraiser The deaders 2/10 Even having Kari Wuhrer couldn't help this train wreck of a cash in film
  • Ghostbusters 2016

It's bad, though not as horrifically bad as the internet decided before it was made.  There are funny jokes, visually it has sequences that are quite striking.  None of that can overcome its primary flaws.

Straight remakes often suck.  There are many good remakes in film history.  Clint Eastwood would be nowhere without Kurosawa remakes.  Most great art involves theft.  But you have to have a new angle, new ideas.  Just giving everyone vaginas does not do that, at least not in this case.  You know what is going to happen in this movie, beat for beat, the whole way.  I have seen worse remakes than this before, and I will see worse in the future.  I think the Blade Runner remake will be an abomination.

There is no Bill Murray.  This is the unforgivable flaw.  Ghostbusters was a Bill Murray flick.  It was Murray making snide comments inside a great B movie that made Ghostbusters what it was.  Murray was saying all the sarcastic stuff you think at mediocre movies, in real time.  No Murray, no Ghostbusters.  Nobody is even really trying to fill that role.  Ten minutes into the movie I was thinking, "We got two Akroyds and one Egon and a black lady on the way and no Murray."  Nobody is going to poke fun at this from within the frame.  This is going to be way duller.  It is not the female leads that wreck this.  It is the writing.  They don't even really try for a Murray character and it is all kinda doomed to be a straight forward B movie that suffers from a crushing comparison to it's iconic predecessor.  No matter how you remake Ghostbusters, you have to have a sarcastic genius at the center.  It could be in Japanese or star horses, but you gotta have that to have Ghostbusters.
  • Saw an article on Roger Corman's making of Fantastic four documentary, and guess what the original movie is on the net
    It very B-movie but that gives it its flair 6/10.

• Ghostbusters 2016 - Total garbage.

The Revenant - A very simple story dragged out for what feels like an eternity. I can't decide if Leo got the Oscar for remaining mostly silent or to bribe him to never make shit like this again.

As I Lay Dying - This movie would be great for curing anxiety in an assisted suicide waiting room. Avoid like the plague.
  • The Accountant

Surprisingly good. It is a goofball stupid take on autism, but it absolutely plays by the rules it sets and has a few interesting ideas. Not a classic, but highly competent action sequences and a little originality are good enough for me.

Jack Reacher 2: Reach Reachier

Surprisingly dull, boring action, a boring villian, no new ideas, combined with a robotic performance of a not autistic character make this dissapointing crap.
  • Ouija: Origin Of Evil - Leaps and bounds better than its predecessor and is actually a good movie. Solid scares, and just has a lot of uneasy scenes with a creepy as fuck little girl. Genuinely surprised, and enjoyed it.
  • Best of Enemies: Buckley vs Vidal

Wonderful documentary. While the documentary was focused on the relationship between Buckley and Vidal, it managed to convey far more about modern politics and grant insight into our current political climate. It's somewhat cathartic; you watch and witness the chaos and rhetoric displayed during the 1960's, the affect it had on discourse, and how the mudslinging persists and shapes us today. The all consuming fear about the impending Trump Presidency has been somewhat subsided watching this film. If this country-this world-can persevere through a Nixon Presidency, then we can make it through Trump.

As for Bill and Gore: both were brilliant men who were ethically impaired [to say the least]. Sadly, people took their debates and perverted them; tainting them so that lewd, crude, and intellectually deficient discourse were drivers of ratings versus imparting education and heightening the discourse the way in which these two men intended.

The medium is the message (and something was lost in translation). 
  • The Neon Demon -- 6/10

Middling, I guess, which feels frustrating given how promising it started. It's Refn, so it's awash in colours and mood, and the first hour is so confrontational and cynical and runs roughshed over ideas of conformity and beauty. It's really strong. Then there's a sort of penultimate scene that changes the lead character (done all in metaphor, of course), and, well, things start to get off track. The switch in behaviour and attitude from our protagonist leaves the entire movie feeling suddenly distant, and the tragedy, which gets layered on seemingly scene after scene, starts to become overbearing and overloaded. The end is, well, it really goes off the deep end, although I appreciate what it tries to say. Not Refn's best, not his worst. I expected either greatness or trash so I guess I was wrong. It's alright.
  • Arrival -- 11/10

In light of recent events, in light of zero-sum negotiations, in light of trade deals, ripping up deals, competition, in light of mankind's seemingly unstoppable hurdle towards ecological catastrophe, in light of a very human foible that has responded to capital luxury with dread and melancholy, this was one of the most affecting, affirming, potent movies - or works of any medium - I have ever seen.
  • The End of the Tour -- 5/10

The acting is compelling, but the movie falls a bit flat. Maybe this is destined for David Foster Wallace fans only. But it's just two upper class dudes (admittedly, the movie recognizes this) spitballing about life, and neither of them are so revelatory as to make the movie essential viewing. It feels like a wasted opportunity to make a documentary, in a way, and the end result is a technically astute but underwhelming fact-based fiction piece that feels forgettable.
  • Arrival

Slaughterhouse Five for girls, with a killer string section. Wonderful movie, see it on the big screen. Captures that Vonnegut message that the sadness of life is nothing compared to its beauty and that acceptance is everything. I could poke holes in it and disagree with it's philosophy, but that is just the criticism that great art provokes. She should not have told him, but did she have a choice?
  • The Witch -- 7/10

Cool period-piece horror film with a barrage of overt religiosity. Good acting all around, with the caveat that a lot of it is pretty one-note. Good soundtrack, the landscape and wilderness becomes very oppressive feeling. Great shots early on of just sitting around a fire doing nothing, truly before the world was alight with electricity it was about your only choice. Some of the plot devices are predictable because they use well-worn Christian devices, and that prevents the tragedy from being as punchy as it could be. Not a particularly scary film, which some horror purists may find a letdown. Still, it's a cool piece that is wonderfully moody and foreboding.

• Kimi no Na wa. -- 8/10

Shinkai's latest, and it's trailblazed a path of critical (86 metascore) and universal (8.9 IMDB and officially Japan's highest grossing movie... ever) praise, and is Japan's entry for the academy award for foreign film. 

There are, I guess, a few things I feel about this. It is good. Maybe very good! But I feel that it is being so well-received because it has become Shinkai's first work for a lot of people to experience. For those familiar with his previous films, you're going to maybe not get quite as much out of this. There are some shots and running tropes that are well-worn, and it almost plays a specific sequence at the beginning and end a bit too close to his early work for comfort. Secondly, because this is a "gimmick" film, it lacks the universality of his previous achievements in The Place Promised in our Early Days, and 5 Centimeters Per Second, both which packed a more relatable punch.

All that said! It's good. It's Shinkai's funniest film to date, and the soundtrack is impressive as it always is in his films. It's pretty. Most importantly, Shinkai avoided the over-the-top melodrama that plagued his previous works - The Garden of Words and its trainwreck ending comes to mind - and the end result is a movie with a big dramatic climax but one that doesn't really feel artificial or staged just for a tragic purpose. The characters are all nice, likable, and distinct. The dialogue is snappy. 

Good film, borderline great, but I don't think it's his best. Although I can see why you might think so if it is your introduction to his work and always gets to be your "first."
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them - 8/10

I'm a huge Potter fan so of course I was excited about this one. Some issues with the movie in terms of pacing but the main character, Newt Scamander is played brilliantly by Eddie Redmayne. I feel like the hardcore Potter fans will come out enjoying this one quite a bit. It's not bad for someone's first attempt at ever writing a screenplay either.

Out of all the Potterverse films I'd rank this one at number three or four. I really liked it.
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them - 8/10

I agree with Manio, it was an enjoyable movie, i found the despotic nature of Ms President a little troubling, there were some funny moments beautiful creatures, I hope he didn't go on the Titanic at the end ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week