Rate the Last Movie You've Seen!
  • Batman vs Superman

It's bad. These aren't the characters I know and love. The soundtrack and events are all laughable. Most of the action is completely incoherent. Now I'm empty inside.
  • I'm sorry dude. We all saw it coming and we all wanted better.

Flashpoint Paradox is on Netflix and it's great.
  • Batman vs Superman

I went out after work to see this with my brother, a co-worker and all of his friends (about 6-10 people) on Thursday night. I did some catching up on Man of Steel before I saw this movie.

As far as the pros go, there were some great things: the cinematography; the destruction; the action scenes; the Batman and Superman fight; and the battle against the threat. Probably the best thing in the whole movie was Batman; he scared the crap out of me with that Dark Knight Returns costume design and that inhumane deep voice he has. Everything will change.

As far as the cons go, there were some things that I didn't quite get: there were subtle nods to the comic books that just skimmed over me since I never read them in the first place; there were plot devices that were a little easy to spot; sometimes I couldn't exactly hear what the actors were saying under their low voice (was I sitting far away?); the actor who played Alexander Luthor had some good moments but I think he went back to his non-acting character.

Overall, it was a good movie but certainly not superior, and due to that ending there is no doubt that there will be another after it.
  • Yeah I saw batman vs superman at midnight Thursday also. Overall I feel a bit meh about the film. Before anyone says meh is not a good enough adjective for something so complex watch batman vs superman and try not to walk away with the feeling of mehness (I'm owning it).

Affleck's batman is most definitely the best thing about this film and I really wish he had more screen time. I wish there was more time dedicated to his back story. Not just the fleeting moments. He's darker than Bale's batman. He's seen some shit and I like it. I really hope we seen a standalone batman film. That is the only thing this film leaves me hopeful for.

As far as the rest. Eisenberg's Luther was good in my opinion. But everything seems to be rushed DC are trying to play catchup with marvel and they have attempted to do it all in one film. Come on now Marvel started their universe with one film iron man and we only had a small mention of captain America in that. Just one. This is all too much and it affects the quality of the film.

They should have made this film batman vs superman. That's it. Leave doomsday for a sequel instead of shoehorning him in. Keep Wonder Woman away for now. Don't even show the cameos of the other three justice league members.

I was disappointed. I wanted the film to be amazing I really did.

P.S I hated man of steel so take that as you will
  • I don't know how anyone could enjoy that movie. It literally uses a Lifetime/Disney movie soundtrack; I'm not even being funny. They tried so hard to make me feel by shoehorning this overly generic soundtrack, and I just ended up empty. On top of that, every line of dialogue is in no way conveying anything of importance or partaking in an enlightening discourse. They're trying to tell me what to think with every conversation; no subtlety whatsoever. 

Batman is an inept, easily used psychopath and Superman embodies the "might makes right" platitude. Wonder Woman is simply there. How can one man desecrate the trinity so viciously in 2 hours and 30 minutes....

• The question I have is how Snyder somehow lucked his way into a competent Watchmen movie when everything else he's made has been trash.
  • I think he followed Watchmen to the letter. That movie adjusts the ending, and ditches the weird pirate comic, but otherwise follows the comic more closely than any other major comic movie. Zach can paint an image, but he cannot tell a story. He followed Watchmen so closely, probably because the art of Watchmen is stunning, and in doing so ended up with a plot that made sense. Left to his own devices he does not give a shit about story, and it shows.

Daredevil season two is finishing strong, Marvel knows how to write this shit. Hopefully Civil War is good. It looks overstuffed, but has a foundation and writers.
  • "I really hope we seen a standalone batman film. " @nutta27, IMDB lists Untitled Batman Reboot, Suicide Squad, Justice League Part One, and Justice League Part Two as Ben Affleck Batman roles. 
  • Batman v Superman
    Affleck was a pretty alright Bruce Wayne and Batman. The movie was suuuper bad though, oh my god. It seemed to drag on for too long, I don't remember much in the way of fighting, and it was such a boring movie. Hell, even the certain fight at the end of the film seemed shoe-horned in and seemed to serve no real purpose other than to provide that ending.
  • Batman V Superman

It is impressively bad. Unlimited money, any cast you want, iconic characters, and you make the worst paced blockbuster in memory? It is blindingly slow. The first hour felt like a whole slow movie. I gotta watch the whole Batman origin... Again? How times I gotta watch a shell eject and pearls pop free? What the fuck is up with the dreams and Flash warnings? How about you make this movie first, before setting up another fucking death march? Now I gotta imagine you shitting Darkseid down a hole in the next one? Thanks asshole, you prefucked up a movie. What is Wonder Woman doing here? Like the dream sequences hadn't already slowed this to a crawl. Beyond overall pacing, almost every scene is too long. Watching this movie is a chore. Do you know how hard it is to make JLA a chore for me? Lex is not scary, he is just annoying. It is God against Wesley Crusher. That is the opposite of compelling. Batman does not kill. How can I even enjoy the one good fight scene, since this is clearly not Batman, since Batman does not kill? Not even halfway through and we have betrayed the fundamentals of the characters. The bombing does not make any sense. The conflict is already set, this would point to Lex, which is the last thing he would want. Throwing Lois off the building is stupid for the same reasons. Entire subplots occur for no reason. Oh, wait, they slow pacing, which is evidently the entire point of this exercise. Maybe the whole point was to exemplify the biggest thematic faults of the DC film universe, namely endless darkness and no fun. Nothing remotely fun occurs in this film. It actively works to keep you from smiling. Even the iconic fight is plodding. Oh good, pearls again. Maybe they will play Batman's origin yet again during the credits. Oh look, Luthor forcing the fight, ended the fight, that is the opposite of genius. One good Batman fight, that's all we get. Enjoyable three minutes out of 150. "The cape" joke is not funny. Again, no fun allowed. And now we end on generic CGI monster. Lemme see, we did Dark Knight #4, JLA, and Doomsday and the Death of Superman in one movie, and it felt slow. Should have felt overstuffed, but mostly it felt like nothing was happening. Now we get an endless ending. This is the ending for a great trilogy, not this crap fest. God that was even worse than I feared. Civi War may not be as good as I want, but it cannot be this bad. How do you make Batman V Superman unwatchable? That was awful. I feel like it is still not over, like maybe more Snyder slow motion shots will creep into my very life and destroy my enjoyment of actual reality.
    Noobied by 1laphamking
  • Zootopia

It's good, it's highly component, it's also very predictable and cookie cutter. It got like a 99% meta rating, so I was expecting more originality. My kid liked it, but it is no Frozen. Heck, it is not even Wreck it Ralph, but it is good. My hopes were too high.
  • The Jungle Book
    This is good stuff, like surprisingly good stuff. Idris Elba slays as Shere-Khan and everything just looks pretty, even though I can guarantee most of the movie was done in post-production, so you gotta give props to the child actor who was essentially all about alone in this movie during the filming process. The musical segments kind of get in the way, and seem out of place and confusing for the feel/universe of the movie, but that's just a minor complaint.

It's really good.

• Captain America: Civil War

It's a lot of fun.  Probably the best Avengers flick to date.  I like both previous Avengers movies, but they had weird parts and did not stack up with Iron Man or Winter Soldier.  There are a lot of moving parts but it works pretty darn well.  I am a huge Marvel guy, so I am not the most objective.  The big action sequences work well and are just so much more imaginative than anything we saw in Batman v Mopeyman.  They are just so good at playing with their toys.  Ant Man gets a lot of time and is used well.  The central conflict goes through phases and makes sense.  The central villian is blase, but he only exists to instigate the central conflict.  They present the new characters well, with a good sense of who they are.  Black Panther is gonna be great and the feel of Spider Man is younger and newer.  I like how much he talks.  Lots of good jokes from other characters: "bird suit?", and "Can you move your seat foward?" were my faves.  Classic summer popcorn film.
  • Captain America: Civil War watched it on the 29th enjoyed it immensely, my only gripe was the shaky camera during the action, why use a crane, steady cam or rails, when you can feel like you are in the action? Well it looks like shoddy camera work when you overdo it.

Plenty of audience members went on May 5th opening night; my brother, me, a co-worker and several of his friends, and plenty of seats were filled at the Regal.

I cannot stress this enough; whether you are a huge DC/Marvel fan of the comics or not, go out with a group of friends and see this film. This production was packed with laugh-out-loud sense of humor, action-packed cinematography, complex-character writing, violent scenes that are cringe worthy, and must-see post-credits scenes that have to be watched. You will not be disappointed in this.

This film is probably best to see in 2D since the amount of action scenes could be overwhelming from a 3D perspective.
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • Civil War

It is pretty good. I didn't see the last Avengers movie, so I didn't know who a couple of the Avengers were or where they came from. Nor did I know the references to the last film. It is inundated with action early, and there is barely time to breathe. It gets better as it goes and allows more humanizing scenes to play out. The action is creative, although we still don't have the requisite CGI to pull off everything they try to do convincingly yet. There are some funny moments. Spiderman is simultaneously great and also feels a bit cheap being brought in as such, actually many of the cameo characters kind of feel that way. They are fun but have no agency in whose side they choose. This could have been a complete clusterfuck with as many characters as it has. It is good at deconstructing the idea of purely good and purely evil intentions, and there's no real right answer here, although any hypothetical that involves silly, super powered humans is going to be something you can't think about too much. 7/10
  • I haven't watched a Marvel superhero film since the first Iron Man. Do I have to hand in my nerd card?
  • No, you just have a lot to look forward to.

All Hulk movies are bad. Both Thor movies are Ok, kinda meh. Iron Man 2 is bad. The rest are rather good. Winter Soldier is great and this one is damn fine as well.

Just saw it again in 2D, and that is the way to go. There is too much shaky cam on the first first fight, I think to hide the stunt womens faces. It holds up great as a film. Makes the upcoming Thanos epic more interesting to think about.

Also tried to watch last years Fantastic Four and my God is it terrible. Unlikeable Four should be the title. I do not like any of these people and do not give a shit what the fuck happens to them. Makes you remember how easy it is to make a shitty comic book film. Real shame, that guy made Chronicle, which is awesome.

There's a lot of Marvel films I don't particularly care about, a couple I despise, and two I adore. Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron are two of the best Superhero films I've ever seen and both of those films feed directly into this one; that's a problem. I don't think this movie works as well as everyone else. I have a lot of ethical issues with this movie, and there is some poor editing and cinematography, primarily in the first half of the film. 

I wonder: if Batman versus Superman wasn't such a blight, would everyone be adoring this film so much?

Vision is creepy, War-Machine is a tool, and Iron Man is morally compromised all throughout the picture. I get that he's a static character, but there's a difference between being incapable of overcoming your inherent flaws and forgoing any and all logic because you feel guilty. 

Black Panther is the best part of this whole movie, just thank goodness for him. By the end he's easily the most mature and objective character in the movie. 
  • The Nice Guys

Mediocre. I had high hopes. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is fantastic. Shane Black knows how to make a buddy film and the leads are good. The writing is just so inconsistent. Some parts work. Some parts do not. It is a mixed bag. Go see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, that is a great movie nobody saw.
  • X-men: Apocylypse

Just kinda bad. Not terrible, but too much bad crap to overlook. Any fantasy world has to establish consistent rules, or nothing works. At the end of this, I still don't have a grip on the "rules" for Magneto or Apocolypse or chuck. Can Magneto rip the world apart any old time? Can chuck melt everybodys brain? The world spends most of the movie almost ending. The power level of the whole movie just gets stupid and stays stupid. Millions would have died, and this is treated as victory? The climax feels an hour long and just tries to force so much emotion that it has laid little foundation for. People switch sides on two lines of dialogue or just one look. If folks with this much power were this unstable then I would root for the Sentinels. And weapon X is just shoe horned in for no reason. I liked parts, but it just gets worse as I think about it. First Class was great, this is not.
  • Hail, Caesar!

Medium Cohen. A few Cohen brothers movies will be watched for as long as there are movies. The quality of their pictures range from transcendent to bad. This is one of their mediocre offerings. The Cohens seem to start by thinking of great scenes and characters, whether they can string those ideas into a great movie is always the question. The Big Lewbowski is the greatest half a movie ever made. Sometimes they just seem to from genius to hitting a wall. This is coherent but suffers from the main story line being the weakest. I wish the movie had been about the Tom Mix character. That guy stole the show.
  • Warcraft

Really enjoyed it. Was wonderful to see the games i grew up with come to life, complete with all the trimmings. Thought they did a great job overall, shame a lot of critics went in thinking 'ITZ NOT LORD OF DA RINGS'.

CGI on the orcs and spells was also amazing
  • The Nice Guys

I like Shane Black. I like most everything he's done except for Iron Man 3. I really liked this movie. It's absurd, beautifully stylized, and has a lot of heart.
  • Well went on a business trip to Michigan and have watched some movies to and from the US
    The revenant, Deadpool, Assasination High school, 5th wave, Straight out of Compton,Zoolander 2, Black Mass, Attack on titan, Maze hunter scorched trails, Galaxy Kaid?(Galaxy Turnpike). and i watched X-men apocalypse while i was in the US

The Revenant, liked it very good
    Assasination High School, wacky premise but enjoyable to watch
    5th wave, was ok nothing new
    Straight out of Compton, liked it although it is slightly glorified.
    Zoolander 2, stupidly funny
    Black Mass, interesting movie but boring at times
    Attack on Titan, great CGI, extremely flat performance, let's wait until most of my friends are dead before i react.
    Maze Hunter scorched trails, still don't understand where this is going, the only chance for humanities survival are kids that are immune to the disease/alien infection? are set against each other or drained for medicine? convoluted mess of a storyline.
    Galaxy Kaid?(Galaxy Turnpike) Japanese movie about a hamburger restaurant in space, slightly funny but it has Hiroko Okabe ((Yūka) who is getting married) in it ;)

And i watched X-men Apocalypse in the movie theater, i liked t although it screws with major origin histories and timelines, and what about havok? he is pure energy? 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week