Rate the Last Movie You've Seen!
  • Just rewatched Kiki's Delivery Service, that movie is still pretty awesome 5/5.

I will recommend everyone thinking about watching it to watch it in original Japanese with subtitles since the English version has some dumb "corrections" in it that kind of ruins the point (in my opinion).
  • I always watch in original Japanese audio with English subtitles if I can help it.
  • Every Miyazaki film I've seen I've seen in English, but some I've also seen in Japanese.
  • The last movie I saw was Memento

Its a lesser known Christopher Nolan film but it kicks ass. The concept is crazy and its a bit of a mind fuck. Its well acted as all Christopher Nolan films are and a must watch for any fan of prestige and to a lesser extent inception. CHECK IT OUT
    4.5/5
  • tokeamoto said:
    The last movie I saw was Memento

Its a lesser known Christopher Nolan film but it kicks ass. The concept is crazy and its a bit of a mind fuck. Its well acted as all Christopher Nolan films are and a must watch for any fan of prestige and to a lesser extent inception. CHECK IT OUT
    4.5/5

I love Memento. It's like a puzzle and once you piece together the scenes in chronological order, it takes on a whole new meaning.
  • CSA. Confederate States of America.
    it had some funny scenes if your into dark humor or racial humor but even if you are it still didnt have enough to say it was good.
    although I spent a good amount of time thinking (that would have never happened) but it did get me thinking what would have really happened which got my imagination going. But as a movie it was only meh.
    yeah thats my rating meh.
  • killswitch423 said:
    I always watch in original Japanese audio with English subtitles if I can help it.

TRF said:
    Every Miyazaki film I've seen I've seen in English, but some I've also seen in Japanese.

I usually don't have anything against Ghibli dubs (though I prefer subs) due to them usually doing a good job, but that English correction at the end of Kiki's Delivery Service is just awful.
  • The Smurfs (Raja Gosnell, 2011) *
    The CGI is awful, the acting is average at best, the jokes aren't clever nor are they even close to funny, and the plot is formulaic and predictable. It's such a lousy, cookie-cutter children's movie. I say children's movie, not family movie, because anyone over the age of seven probably won't enjoy it in the slightest.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Rupert Wyatt, 2011) ***½
    The film is slow to start, but it works well as most of the movie is building up the character of Caesar and fully developing him. Andy Serkis does amazing work as the motion capture actor for Caesar, and honestly, deserves an Oscar nomination for it. The action scenes were well-done and the apes were really intimidating. You can tell that this film was meant to be the first in a series of films, and there are subtle hints towards the events of the original film (which may or may not be remade a third time), as well as the use of a classic line from the original film.
  • The Aviator (Martin Scorsese, 2004) ****
    Leonardo DiCaprio gives a great performance as Howard Hughes, filmmaker and aviator. It's very interesting to see his rise and fall and rise again. The atmosphere is great and I really like the cinematography.
  • Captain America: The First Avenger (Joe Johnston, 2011) ***
    I wasn't expecting a ton from this movie but I ended up really enjoying it. Chris Evans is perfect as Steve Rogers. The CGI used early in the film to make him appear scrawny was very convincing. The supporting cast was great, including Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving. I didn't see much CGI in the action sequences which was pretty cool. It gave the fight scenes a more realistic feel to them, plus the color palette of the film gave it a 1940s feel to it. I also like how initially Captain America is used to promote American war propaganda; it seemed creative and unique. The final Avengers film did not disappoint, and I can't wait until summer of 2012.
  • Y'all gonna make me post four times in a row? Fine. Watch more movies, goddammit!

Hobo with a Shotgun (Jason Eisener, 2011) ***
    This film is a throwback to the exploitation genre of films, but don't judge the film solely based on its title. It certainly pays homage to the genre quite well, but is actually a good film in its own right. It's a classic story of vigilantism and the characters are well-done. Rutger Hauer is a badass, playing the nameless hobo. There are some difficult-to-watch scenes (can't really make a PG-13 exploitation, now can you?), but the film also has some genuinely good scenes. It actually kind of reminds me of The Dark Knight in a way, where a vigilante must stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves, and despite not necessarily being wanted, the vigilante does what he does because he must. The citizens don't want a hero, but they do need one. In addition, there are a few plot points that resemble The Dark Knight. Overall, the film could have been better, but it's hard to make an A-movie when you're paying homage to a genre that's generally full of bad movies. I'd recommend watching it if you don't mind gore and some disturbing scenes (it just came to Netflix Instant).
  • Event Horizon. I give this movie one million stars. Seems fair.
  • TRF said:
    Y'all gonna make me post four times in a row? Fine. Watch more movies, goddammit!

You're the one watching too many! D:<
  • Captain America

This movie starts out on a high note, but unfortunately can't hold it to completion. Watching Rogers become Captain America (first 30 to 40 minutes) was the highlight of the movie for me. I felt they didn't do a great job of fleshing out the motivations of the Red Skull, and as a result he fell flat as a character. Action scenes were pretty good, but nothing that blew me away.
  • Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief - A film adaptation of a popular fantasy book series about a boy who finds out he's a demigod, son of Poseidon. Someone has stolen Zeus's lightning bolt and for some reason, Percy gets blamed so he has to go on a quest to prove his innocence and catch the real lightning thief. I've never read the books so I can't really compare the movie to the books at all but as an adventure/fantasy flick, it's decent enough. The special effects are nothing amazing though and Grover, the protector of Percy, was annoying and by the end of the movie I kinda wanted to punch him. Still, not a bad movie, it's just not that memorable.
  • Zombieland (Ruben Fleischer, 2009) ***½
    Jesse Eisenberg does what he does best in this film as the fast-talking Columbus Ohio. The rest of the cast, including Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, and Abigail Breslin, is strong. The film is smart and funny, and the action sequences are great as well. This is probably the best horror-comedy since Shaun of the Dead.
  • Ghost in the Shell 1996
    I saw this for the first time on Sunday, and I thought it was an absolute masterpiece not just for an animated film, but as a film in general. The plot was fantastic, with some existential undertones. It is definitely one of the best films I have ever seen. I loved the cyberpunk atmosphere and the visuals were fantastic. I give it a 9.6/10.
  • Bride of Chucky (Ronny Yu, 1998) *
    I hate how terrible straight horror films are instantly branded as horror-comedies. This is one of them. Bride of Chucky is not scary at all; in fact, the character himself is far from scary. The film is mildly entertaining, but in an unintentional way. Like I said, it was most likely a straight horror film that ended up being unintentionally funny, so it was re-branded as a horror-comedy.

I Love You Phillip Morris (Glenn Ficarra/John Requa, 2009) ***½
    Films like these prove that Jim Carrey hasn't completely gone downhill yet. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor are excellent. The movie is a perfect blend of clever comedy and genuinely touching moments, and I enjoyed every second of it. Hopefully Carrey continues making brilliant films like this rather than horrible children's comedies like Mr. Popper's Penguins.

Trainspotting (Danny Boyle, 1996) ***
    This film is an interesting look into the lives of a lowly group of drug addicts. Ewan McGregor and the rest of the cast give excellent performances, and some of the trip-out scenes are very cool to watch and sometimes creepy. The film covers a large period of time, so a lot happens in the way of plot points, and it really shapes the characters throughout the film. While this isn't Danny Boyle's best film, it still stands as a very good one.
  • Limitless 5/10
    For all the hype incredibly disappointing but it's not because of the acting. Cooper was decent but the script relied too heavily on camera work and I'm a person that likes writing.

Speaking of which:

Jane Eyre (2011 version) 8/10
    I quite liked this movie but I also was enamoured of the book it is based on. The little girl that plays Young Jane Eyre does very, very well. It is actually almost frightening the intelligence she conveys. It's a script I realise, but when you see the little face saying those words, my god. Cinematography was well executed. Keeping in mind this is a more tragic romance, the meat of the story was well preserved and the moodiness of the settings and the actors was well done. My only gripe is that movies really limit the ability of a book to be fully expressed. Much of a certain part of the plot was glossed over.

PS... I also dislike Inglorious Basterds. WAY too f'n much playing on playing on stuff. And all the distasteful crap about revenge.... it's a horrible, horrible period of history and he made it campy. The action scenes weren't even.... good. Just gory.
  • My Neighbor Totoro 4/5.

A classic movie that might lack a little conflict to some but in return has charm in spades!
  • GOD i disagree SO much on zombieland movie its worth AT MOST an f and at least nothing. it shouldn't exsist
  • i have to disagree with tallchick about limitless 9/10 going in i thought it was a supernatural sci-fi movie but i wasn't disappointed that it wasn't.
    i quite enjoyed thinking what would i do in his situation yet while thinking that was never pulled out of the movie. maybe a credit to the acting that tallchick speaks of.
    ok i was disappointed at the ending but there was nothing wrong with it. i just thought there should be more story that lead up to the final scene.
    the different camera angles and un-needed special effects were just a bonus.
  • zombieland was a major disappointment. i expected much more from it but it was still worth my 2 hours time to watch it.
  • Tangled (Nathan Greno/Byron Howard, 2010) ***½
    Tangled is the best animated film of 2010. Yes, I liked it even more than Toy Story 3. The animation is beautiful and the voice acting is great. The music is fantastic (both the score and the musical numbers). The action is well-done, the script is witty and humorous, and while the story is a bit formulaic, it's still a great movie.

Kill Bill Volume 1 (Quentin Tarantino, 2003) ***½
    The film is slow to start, but the final act is exhilarating. The action is great and the film was incredibly well-shot, but the dialogue is weak for a Tarantino film. The film has a great style, but sadly no substance. If it was more than just a stylish action flick, it could possibly end up in the A range.

Kill Bill Volume 2 (Quentin Tarantino, 2004) ***½
    While this film has more action sequences than its predecessor, they're a lot shorter and not as exciting as the final act of the first film. The film feels uneven. The first film spends all this time building up backstory for the Bride's first opponent, whom she fights at the end. In the second film, the Bride dispatches of everyone on the rest of her list. Even the final battle with Bill isn't as climactic as the final battle of the first film, and Bill is the main target. In addition, the climax in general is predictable and quite disappointing. Overall, I'd like to have seen more drawn-out swordplay segments. Still, it's a good movie.

Sin City (Robert Rodriguez/Frank Miller, 2005) ***½
    The film has a gorgeous art style and incredibly well-done stories. The atmosphere is great, and seeing how the individual stories connect is really cool. It reminds me of Pulp Fiction in a way but with less important connections between the stories. Overall, I'd give this movie a high recommendation.

Machete (Robert Rodriguez/Ethan Maniquis, 2010) ***
    The film has a nice Mexploitation vibe to it, although more could be done in the way of homage, such as implementing film grains. It's a solid action flick with nice over-the-top violence. It's better than its unofficial companion piece, Hobo with a Shotgun, but still isn't great (to its credit, Hobo with a Shotgun emulated the exploitation vibe much better than Machete did). The acting isn't all that good, but that's to be expected of a film like this (still, I didn't expect Robert De Niro to be as bad as he was). Overall, I enjoyed it, but it fell below my expectations.

Predators (Nimród Antal, 2010) ***
    The plot is predictable, the characters are complete stereotypes, and the acting ranges from good to lousy. Surprisingly, the dialogue isn't terrible for this kind of movie. The real enjoyment in the movie comes from the action, which is pretty damn cool. It's not as good as Predator, but it's better than Predator 2 and the Alien vs. Predator series of films.
  • Ok TRF, you have to be either a movie reviewer or are just picking off past movies you've enjoyed, there's no way you're watching these daily. :p

Although it did remind me I wanted to see I love you Phillip Morris, so I have to thank you for that, but I'm disappointed you didn't like Trainspotting more. :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week