Rate the Last Movie You've Seen!
  • Basically the title is self-explanatory. Rate the last film you've seen. Perhaps we can get a good dialogue going about a certain film, so if you disagree with someone's rating, please feel free to respectfully explain why. I'll go first.

Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino, 2009) ****
    This is definitely one of the best films of recent years and one of the best I've seen of Tarantino's. The writing is fantastic and the acting is solid, except for Christoph Waltz who is beyond excellent and completely deserving of his Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. I really love the way Tarantino tells a story, where he actually tells multiple stories that overlap, and, in this case, converge at the end. The music is great and always works well with the scene and the comedy is subtle and dark. The movie is funny, intense, and unpredictable, and I really just adore it.
  • The Miracle Worker (USA 1962). 92%
    A rare gem of a movie based on a play. This is about teaching Helen Keller the deafblind child to communicate. This movie will show you what rage and willpower are. And it has a whiff of science(progress) vs. conservatives.

(I, ultranerdily, write down on paper which movies I've seen and a rating for them. Since 1992.)
  • The Borrower Arrietty (Studio Ghibli, 2010) 4/5.

Perhaps it doesn't hold up to the standards of some of Miyazaki's work to some people, but I think it's a fantastic movie.

Absolutely heartwarming movie with great music, great art and great animation.
  • its been a while but The girl who leapt through time.
    5000/5
    amazing anime film just great cloud recommended it to me and damn i just can't get it out of my mind sometimes its just SO GOOD.
  • sucker punch C

some interesting visuals and some good action but it tried to be smarter than it was
  • Redline 2/5.

I really thought that this movie was going to be amazing, sadly it fumbles too much and loses sight of its strengths (primarily the crazy animation and the racing) and ends up spending the majority of the movie introducing and explaining characters that are super uninteresting..Hell, why not throw in a super meaningless plot about bioweapons in there as well?
  • redline 4/5 disagree with cloud all the way
    found the film to be an awesome throughback to say...wacky races mixed with astro boy and some other stuff found it to be an awesome film if not the most moving. AND SCREW YOU CLOUD THE CHARACTERS WERE GREAT!!!!
  • Robin Hood: Men in Tights (Mel Brooks, 1993) ***
    The movie is very funny, one of Mel Brooks's best films. I love Prince John who has that mole that constantly changes position on his face. Cary Elwes and Dave Chappelle are also very funny.

Léon (Luc Besson, 1994) ***½
    Most people consider this a classic, and while I don't like it as much as most people, it is a very good movie regardless. Jean Reno is a boss and Natalie Portman isn't half-bad for someone her age, plus Gary Oldman does an amazing job as the villain.
  • I really enjoyed Inglorious Bastards. Wouldn't give it an A+ or anything, but considering I am not much of a Tarantino fan, I came away really enjoying it. Waltz was awesome. Great characters and the dialogue scenes were allowed to develop naturally and over-time.

I'll do the last few...

Redline: 5/10. Cool animation and soundtrack, fun races. Horribly arbitrary and gets way too off-track with some of the plot elements that it introduces that add nothing. Female characters were bad, romance was predictable and shallow.

Thomas in Love: 10/10. So ridiculously fresh and amazing. The entire movie takes place from the first-person perspective of an agoraphobic who hasn't left his apartment in 8 years and is on his PC all day. So, basically, we're seeing through his eyes to the monitor all the time, where he talks with people. This sounds boring, but the acting is just so damn convincing. There's also some crazyzily prophetic musings on cyber-relationships, sex, and overbearing insurance companies with a faintly dystopian feel, which all was neat considering this movie is from 2001, before all this internet stuff really exploded entirely. I found it incredible.

Cowboys & Aliens: 4/10. Decent action, CGI, Daniel Craig is a badass. Everyone else though turned in terrible performances, particularly Harrison Ford. There was little reason to care much for the love story and you could see it coming.

Harry Potter 7 Part 2: 7/10. I strongly dislike all of the Harry Potter movies, and especially thought that 7 Part 1 was a massive failure. So I was surprised at how polished, well paced, and decently acted this one was. It's kind of a shame it took 8 tries to finally get one right, but I don't like the books either, so...

The Big Lebowski: 5/10. Yeah, I didn't find this as fun as most people. Certainly there were some funny parts and good lines, but to me the entire movie and cast felt like they were trying way too hard. Too much yelling, in your face dialogue, charactures, etc. Don't know, didn't really strike a chord with me.
  • Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea 4/5.

A great kids movie that tells a sweet story about a boy who meets a magical fish who longs to become human!
    Though it may not be to everyone's liking that it's geared so much towards children, I still found it absolutely adorable!
  • Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: B
    My best friends love this series to death (the comics that is) and I went into the movie with a bit of hype. I came out completely satisfied, loved the meme's and nerdy humor. Michael Cera might not have been the best pick for a douchy character, but I think he did a good job being another "Michael Cera" character. Overall, I really enjoyed the movie.

V for Vendetta: A
    It's hard to describe how awesome this movie is. With such a great cast to take on such an interesting plot, I found myself invested in this movie at all times. It's a masterpiece the first time you see it, and while going back to it later takes away the surprise, the experience is only slightly hindered.

Edit: By the way, I love these types of threads.
  • So I'm gonna do a couple movies because the most recent movie I watched was very mediocre. Don't really wanna "rate" them but ill either suggest watching or passing on them.

Defendor

This was a slightly different take on all the "average joe's" becoming a super hero fad. Woody Harrelson definitely makes it enjoyable but really the only reason I finished it was because I started it. Oh and Kat Dennings was absolutely horrible in this film. I seriously hated the scenes with her in it. Don't feel bad if you passed up the chance to see this, you aren't missing much.

Rabbit Hole

Movie about a couple dealing with the loss of their son, for as slow as it sounds it did not seem so at all, was paced very nicely. Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart bot did a great job, this movie is definitely worth seeing as long as you aren't the type of person who needs a box of kleenex for The Lion King.

A Single Man

It's hard to give the premise of this film without giving away most of the plot, but it's another solid performance by Colin Firth. Very well structured and made film, make a point of watching this if you have a chance.
  • Cloudenvy said:
    Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea 4/5.

A great kids movie that tells a sweet story about a boy who meets a magical fish who longs to become human!
    Though it may not be to everyone's liking that it's geared so much towards children, I still found it absolutely adorable!

I found it kind of annoying. It's the weakest Miyazaki film I've seen, and I've seen most of his films I think. I'd give it **½.
  • I Saw The Devil: 4/5

Bit of a slow burner but it's shot really nicely, the cast all od a decent job but the film only really follows two people who tend to pull off their roles pretty dam well. Some werid scenes and bit of a gore but i enjoyed it.
  • Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985) ***½
    The world that Gilliam crafted is really cool and while the plot is a bit strange, I did enjoy the ride and thought the ending was really good.

The Last Airbender (M. Night Shyamalan, 2010) *
    The film was unintentionally funny, but terrible as a straight film. The acting was abysmal, the pacing was terrible, the special effects were lousy, the dialogue and story were laughable, and there were so many inconsistencies in the plot.
  • @TRF: Just curious, but did you see the original animated series of Avatar: The Last Airbender?

Machete: B+

Holy crap. Saw this on Cinemax On-Demand just now, and it really surprised me. The entire movie basically lampshades every classic Action Flick trope, while still maintaining a decent plot and some badass characters. I only mark against this film because I did start to get just slightly bored about 2/3 through, but the ending picked back up well. Also, Steven Seagal with a fucking katana. Hell fucking yes.
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    The Big Lebowski: 5/10. Yeah, I didn't find this as fun as most people. Certainly there were some funny parts and good lines, but to me the entire movie and cast felt like they were trying way too hard. Too much yelling, in your face dialogue, charactures, etc. Don't know, didn't really strike a chord with me.

Agh, GoodEnough, you're killing me. That's my second-favorite movie of all time.

killswitch423 said:
    @TRF: Just curious, but did you see the original animated series of Avatar: The Last Airbender?

I've seen a few episodes here and there, and I know the basics of the lore and the general story. The Last Airbender sucks whether you're a fan of the series or not, but it's fun to watch with friends and make fun of.
  • @TRF: I didn't think it was that horrible personally, but I went in with VERY low expectations. Also, that guy who made a horrible attempt to play Sokka should be fired. With real fire. Y U RUIN FAVORITE CHARACTER!? >_<
  • YES THAT MOVIE WAS THE BOMBA TRF (brazil is my favorite film)
  • precious 5/5 really good flick really felt like punching the shit out of the mom during the movie but my feelings changed torward feeling more sad then anything but damn it was so good. some sick rape incest in the beginning so yeah just sayin, not a family flick
    PS inglorious bastards SUCKS!
  • TRF said:
    I found it kind of annoying. It's the weakest Miyazaki film I've seen, and I've seen most of his films I think. I'd give it a B-.

Alright..Well, I respectfully disagree :3

I personally think his weakest movie is probably Spirited Away (I'm going to be murdered for this).
  • pinky315 said:
    PS inglorious bastards SUCKS!

Finally, someone else who thinks so. :P
  • Brisby said:
    Finally, someone else who thinks so. :P

I would probably hate it if I ever watched it ;3
  • No Country for Old Men 100/10 - It's my favorite movie ever
  • Couldn't sleep so I watched Lost in Translation again last night, one of my favorite movies of all time. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson are both fantastic playing their roles very well. Fantastic story about two strangers both alone and unhappy in Japan meeting and forming a strange relationship. Go check this movie out, definitely worth a buy, its funny, charming and all around well made film.

Also about the whole Inglorious Bastards, I can really understand this movie not being for a lot of people, as it is very different. But I know people who disliked it and still thought that it was a very good film, and I don't think anyone can deny it that.
  • Lost in Translation also happens to be one of my all-time favorites.

As for Inglourious Basterds, I could see someone not liking it for the violence, but I thought it had a genius script and was both intelligent and unpredictable.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week