Lapham's "Win Outland" Review Competition!
  • Hello NoobToobers, want to win a free game? Good, you’ve come to the right event. For those of you who’ve seen my Outland review or noticed me talking about Outland in the twitter box, you’ll realize that I loved the game quite a bit. With that said, I want to share the love. So for those of you who don’t have Outland, here’s a friendly little competition that can help you get it.

Rules:
    1.) In order to participate you must write a review of one of your favorite downloadable games or DLC(go for big DLC if you can). It can be any game, from PC, XBLA, or PSN, as long as it is only available via download.

2.) You will have the entire month of August to write and post your reviews. Once September is here I will complete my reading of all reviews, and announce a winner. Once you’ve won you can pick either to get Outland on PSN or XBLA, and I will buy the game for you.

3.) Post your reviews in the review section of the forum and then link them here. This way all your hard work can be viewed as not just part of this competition, but also as an official review.

I think those rules are simply enough. So now, get your fingers ready to type, and make the best review you can do, and as I said, I will decide the winner in September. Thanks to all who participate, and good luck!
  • Well, since I made my Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet yesterday I guess I'll enter that bad boy.

The Review - http://noobtoob.com/community/showthread.php?22257-Insanely-Twisted-Shadow-Planet-Review-by-Manio&p=316436#post316436
  • Do DLC reviews count?
  • killswitch423 said:
    Do DLC reviews count?

I honestly had not thought about DLC. Okay, if you think you can write a really good review of some DLC for a game, then I will allow that. I'll edit it into the rules too.
  • Slixshot said:

I think you will need to write a brand new review during this month to qualify slix.
  • I'm afraid Mono is right Slixshot. The review needs to be made this month, which is why Manio's still qualifies. Remember though, it can be any DLC or downloadable game, released at any point in time, the review just needs to be written and posted within this month.
  • Heh, I was looking through my reviews folder and I have a pretty much finished LBP2 review I never post. I'll make sure to post that as well as write a review for Dead Nation later because I've REALLY have wanted to get Outland since playing the demo.
  • Dammit latham I just bought this a week or 2 ago. :)

Good luck everyone!
  • So I've been wanting to pick up outland, and I don't really have the cash for it right now so when I saw this I got super excited.

Just one question, does the game we review have to be fairly recent? As I was just saying I don't really have the cash to pick up an expensive XBLA game so I was wondering if I could review something I've had for a while.

Maybe I can afford to pick up something for 400 or 800 points and review that, not sure how many points are on my account now if I have to buy some that will change things. Also I would like to review something I wasn't previously interested in or enjoyed, really don't want to write a bias review for a game I picked up on launch after following it for 6 months.
  • The game you review could have come out three years ago, or three days ago, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that it's a new review from you, written in the month of August.
  • With laphamking's permission I'm going to sweeten the pot a little. If we get 10 submissions first place will get his/her choice of torchlight and Outland. Second Place will get the remaining game. If we get 20 submissions same idea but I'll add Wallace & Grand Adventures: Episode 1: Fright of the bumblebees in it as well so there will be a third place. Get reviewing!
  • Just wanted to point out that there is only a couple more weeks, so for those of you who have planned on participating, you might want to start making your reviews, or posting if you already have them completed.
  • Kinda want to try, never played outland. But I suck at reviews xD
    Posted one for the iOS (ipad) a while back, didnt even realize this event was going on.
    I'll get to writing a new review later tonight.
  • SpaceOfSoul said:
    Kinda want to try, never played outland. But I suck at reviews xD
    Posted one for the iOS (ipad) a while back, didnt even realize this event was going on.
    I'll get to writing a new review later tonight.

Take heed in your quest,and choose your words carefully, as the fate of the world rests in your hand... just kidding lol. Oh you'll do just fine, and good luck everyone... Hey I'm illegible too lol.
  • I'm working on a review of Comic Jumper, since it was the last XBLA game I played.
  • I would like to submit my Dead Nation review!
    http://noobtoob.com/community/showthread.php?22383-%28PSN%29-Dead-Nation-Review

I wanted to write a review for a bad PSN game, but since it has to be a favorite I wrote this instead. I will write my review of the other game later though as negative/mediocre reviews are more challenging and fun!
  • I've been dying to get my opinion on Limbo or something else out there. Will get a review up before the deadline! Haven't reviewed in a while.
  • Rain said:
    I've been dying to get my opinion on Limbo or something else out there. Will get a review up before the deadline! Haven't reviewed in a while.

Just get it up before tomorrow.

I've got tomorrow off from work, so I'll look over the reviews then. After that I get my check from work on Friday, and then I'll go buy a card of the winner's choice so they can buy and download Outland.
  • Well, the competition is over and I've read the three entries.

Manio: You did a great job with this review. It was detailed, and honest. You explained that it was a game that you enjoyed, but, you realized that because of the price tag and lack of replay value due to the MP not having very much depth, people should try the trial before making a purchase. Excellent work.

Slixshot: Like Manio, you had a great review as well. It was short, and to the point. You made comparison's to other games to really allow those who have never played, understand what kind of game Shadow Complex was. You also paid attention to minor details, like who the voice actor was (Nolan North FTW!), which was a nice touch. Also, excellent work.

Barrett: The final entry with Dead Nation. This was the longest review, and one you put your own personal touch on to look different from the others reviewing. It was detailed, pointing out how overtime some flaws were fixed through patches, etc. I noticed a couple minor errors in the writing, but nothing too major.

Overall, all three did a good job expressing their feelings for the games they reviewed, but I could only pick one winner, and for me, the best review is the one that makes me want a game the most. Manio, while giving an excellent review, made a few points at the end that made the game something I'd rather not pick up. Barret and Slix on the other hand both sold their games very well, but the to_the_point nature of Slix review, comparison to Super Metroid, and mention of Nolan North made me want Shadow Complex much more than I want Dead Nation.

Slixshot gets Outland.

Anyway, thanks to the 3 participants, and thanks to those who simply posted and thought about possibly doing a review. I'd like to do something like this again, but wait until I have more money to spare, and do a much bigger game, and hopefully get a lot more participants.
  • Thanks guys, but the star here is really Lapham for putting the contest together! Thanks again, Laphamking.
  • Slixshot said:
    Thanks guys, but the star here is really Lapham for putting the contest together! Thanks again, Laphamking.

No problem. I like people writing reviews and expressing their love for games. More than that, I like people having the opportunity to play games I love. I was happy to do this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week