August Hardcore Retro Gaming Club - PLANESCAPE: TORMENT!
  • Welcome! Those of you may remember the Retro Gaming Club - it was an old event of NT's that would pick out an older game and everyone would play through it. They were good times, but flawed - as we used to have a vote, and people would do really stupid things like vote for Smash Brothers 64 as a "must-play" game when it wasn't. But, I digress. That form is dead. This is different, and involves some rules.

So what makes this Retro Gaming Club "Hardcore?" Well, for starters, the one rule is that you gotta keep it ALL in the thread. No looking at walkthroughs, no GameFAQS, the only source of information here is in the thread itself. It's meant to feel like old PC games did - where there was no internet, and all you had was your circle of friends. Welcome to the circle of friends. Let's keep it all in this thread and see if we can work through the game together if we get stuck!

Let's talk Planescape: Torment. First up, this is why we are playing - this game is critically lauded as one of the best written RPGs of all time. All time! Does it deliver?

Let's set the stage. Thanks, Wikipedia! "Planescape: Torment is set in the Planescape "multiverse" of AD&D, a setting which consists of various planes of existence, the creatures which live in them (such as devils, modrons, and even deities), and the properties of the magic that infuses each plane. In a March 2000 article for Game Studies, Diane Carr called the setting "a freak show, a long story, a zoo, and a cabinet of talkative curiosities" and described the creatures and monsters in the game as "grotesque rather than scary". Planescape: Torment is the first video game to be set in the Planescape universe.

The first part of Planescape: Torment takes place in Sigil, a city located atop an infinitely tall spire at the center of the multiverse, that connects the planes with each other via a series of portals. The city is overseen by the powerful Lady of Pain, while fifteen factions control different functions of the city related to each group's world view. Every faction strives for further control of the city. Several of these factions can be joined by The Nameless One during the game. The story eventually moves on to other planes, such as Baator and Carceri, where The Nameless One continues to discover more about his past."

You are the Nameless One. A man with no memory of his past (not cliche in this game, honest!) and immortal. Why? It's up to you to find out.

Planescape: Torment is $9.99 at GOG.com - http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment

Personally, I'm about five hours in (my head start!) and with the exception of a stupid "Sunflower" issue with me not being able to leave the first area (I am an idiot) I'm finally out of the first area and in the town, and I'll be damned, everything in the game is just so fucking INTERESTING. I want to talk to every person and learn new things. It's consistently impressing me with how it deals with so many different situations, and I'm having a BALL.

I know it's REALLY hard to get into an RPG where the main character suffers from amnesia, but it's not trite and overused at this point and the story is actually PROPERLY written around it. This is very important.

Your thoughts?
  • Sounds interesting, Sunny. I'm willing to give this one a go too. I liked the last game, even though I'm an idiot and kept missing objects that were obvious. :(
  • Great idea Sunflower!I was ,I think, around 7,8 hours in and then I stopped playing for about month. I will continue today and let you know where I am in the game.
  • And yes, I nearly forgot...If you are downloading this game from GOG.com follow this mods guide ( from step 3a,just ignore previous steps) :

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

It adds alot of neat stuff, higher resolutions,improved UI, alot of fixed bugs,additional quests...
  • First, Hunkerbill, where you been buddy? Good to see you! You've been away far too long.

I'd like to say thanks for adding that link to the mods guide - it's always surprising how much work people are able to do to "finish" a game far after release!
  • Sunflower said:
    First, Hunkerbill, where you been buddy? Good to see you! You've been away far too long.

I'd like to say thanks for adding that link to the mods guide - it's always surprising how much work people are able to do to "finish" a game far after release!

I've done alot of travelling and other stuff in past 2 months that it kept me away from gaming completely and with that , away from noobtoob unfortunately.But, I'm back now and that means alot of gaming and alot of hanging out here! Nice to hear that I've been missed :D .

Regarding the mods guide, it really doesn't take alot of time setuping it ,but it really improves the game experience.Make sure you do that !

Anyway,how's your game progress so far ? I've just came home from work, will load my last saves to see where did I stop .
  • hunkerbill said:
    Anyway,how's your game progress so far ? I've just came home from work, will load my last saves to see where did I stop .

Currently I am exploring Sigil. I'm supposed to be going to this funeral/graveyard/tunnel thing, and I'm having a hard time with the combat. Thankfully, I can just die and go right back in! I've done some exploring, but I'll talk about that later.
  • Oooh, I'm in. Been waiting for an excuse to check this out.
  • I had issues starting the game.I can't get picture with that widescreen mod,don't know what happend :( . If I do fresh reinstall my save games won't work.I'm not really sure if I should start all over again, I got really really far :(...damn..
  • I am still in Germany, but I will buy this game in about a week, for sure!
    Count me in once again!

But,... How many players actually finished the last game?
    The thread kind of went dead after a while.
  • Nibiro said:
    I am still in Germany, but I will buy this game in about a week, for sure!
    Count me in once again!

But,... How many players actually finished the last game?
    The thread kind of went dead after a while.

I was unable to complete it. :(
  • Sunflower said:
    I was unable to complete it. :(

Did you get stuck or did you simply run out of interest to complete it?

I haven't completed it yet either. Mostly because I got a little tired of it towards the end. I'll finish it up eventually. :(
  • Brisby said:
    Did you get stuck or did you simply run out of interest to complete it?

I haven't completed it yet either. Mostly because I got a little tired of it towards the end. I'll finish it up eventually. :(

Time, honestly. I didn't have enough time to play. :(
  • Sunflower said:
    Time, honestly. I didn't have enough time to play. :(

that's understandable. I really did enjoy most of the levels. It was just the last level I was on was frustrating me so I kinda got tired and started playing other things. Like I said, I'll eventually get around to finishing it. I don't think I have much left at all.

Anyway, I'll probably download Planescape tonight and give it a try. :)
  • This is very interesting. I haven't played this game in years and I've never finished it. Count me in :-D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week