American vs Japan Game Boxart
  • Look here for what im talking about:http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/japanboxes/japanboxes.htm
    I think some of Japans boxarts are better and some are too anime and cartoony such as the Ratchet ones
  • Interesting. Seems like the Japanese like more unrealistic/drawn boxes than the American/Europe counterparts.
  • When games get ported to the U.S they tend to rape the box art. Like with the release of Ico
    Japanese Boxart (cool huh?)

U.S Boxart
    They change the great japanese box art that really captures the feeling of the game into..that. Apparently they rushed the release of the U.S version.
  • i hate japan for getting things faster than us then they shit on the product when they make it global
  • Xeo said:
    When games get ported to the U.S they tend to rape the box art. Like with the release of Ico
    Japanese Boxart (cool huh?)

U.S Boxart
    They change the great japanese box art that really captures the feeling of the game into..that. Apparently they rushed the release of the U.S version.

huh thats odd the japenese box art is the same as the European version.
  • I personally don't care about box art. Have it all black with just the game title for all I care. I'd rather complain about how they screw the game by cutting out things, watering down the awesomeness of the game (I'm looking at you Indigo Prophecy) or having a shitty translation.

Japan also gets things first because:
    The developers are established in Japan, therefore it's cheaper to release the game there.
    The people working on the game are Japanese, so they'll do all the writing/cultural references for stuff in Japan.
    Because they have a cheaper shipping cost for releasing it in Japan, if the games a flop they won't lose shit loads of money.

It is a bitch for stuff to be release there first, but business is business, and if you really hate it that much learn Japanese and import games.
  • Eletriz said:
    i hate japan for getting things faster than us then they shit on the product when they make it global

thats pretty rascist
  • booboo said:
    [quote=Eletriz]i hate japan for getting things faster than us then they shit on the product when they make it global

thats pretty rascist[/quote]

How is what he wrote racists?

What he said may be a blanket statement, but it wasn't about race. It was about how Japanese corporate culture handles it's products abroad. Plus, what he said is largely true. Way too often people in the West are thought of by Japanese companies (especially game designers) to be either too unsophisticated or too stupid for a product in its original form.

One FAMOUS example is the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 being replaced by an entirely different game to make it easier for Westerners , most notable Americans, to play. If anything the foot is on the other shoe when it comes to Japn and Racism, as they have OFTEN been noted as one of the most Xenophobic nations on the planet Earth.

A Japanese man can come to the United States, become a citizen and work his way up to be the president or head CEO of a major American corporation. The reverse is NOT true at all. If you go to Japan, rather you become a citizen of Japan, you are a Gaijin and will never become the head of anything.

-Ray
  • pocketmego said:
    [quote=booboo][quote=Eletriz]i hate japan for getting things faster than us then they shit on the product when they make it global

thats pretty rascist[/quote]

How is what he wrote racists?

What he said may be a blanket statement, but it wasn't about race. It was about how Japanese corporate culture handles it's products abroad. Plus, what he said is largely true. Way too often people in the West are thought of by Japanese companies (especially game designers) to be either too unsophisticated or too stupid for a product in its original form.

One FAMOUS example is the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 being replaced by an entirely different game to make it easier for Westerners , most notable Americans, to play. If anything the foot is on the other shoe when it comes to Japn and Racism, as they have OFTEN been noted as one of the most Xenophobic nations on the planet Earth.

A Japanese man can come to the United States, become a citizen and work his way up to be the president or head CEO of a major American corporation. The reverse is NOT true at all. If you go to Japan, rather you become a citizen of Japan, you are a Gaijin and will never become the head of anything.

-Ray[/quote]
    alright jeez no hatin then
  • I agree. The Japaness boxart is always better. There is only one example I can think of where it was not, and that was the Metroid Prime: Hunters case. Seen here: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-01-49-en-70-4lb.html But it's easily explains as the japanese are less focused on the art then the game. I mean that by saying that most japanese buy their games based on popularity of franchises. While with other countries they need to make the art CG to showcase the game some what. As other countries care more for graphics then anything.
  • pocketmego said:

Oh shit, someone better tell Sir Howard Stringer that he's not allowed to be the CEO of Sony. :)

Yw
  • yuzo said:
    [quote=pocketmego]A Japanese man can come to the United States, become a citizen and work his way up to be the president or head CEO of a major American corporation. The reverse is NOT true at all. If you go to Japan, rather you become a citizen of Japan, you are a Gaijin and will never become the head of anything.

Oh shit, someone better tell Sir Howard Stringer that he's not allowed to be the CEO of Sony. :)

Yw[/quote]

I stand corrected.

Hey, just out of curiosity Yuzo, when you went to Japan did a lot of people try to initiate conversations with you in Japanese even though you don't speak the language?

-Ray
  • pocketmego said:
    Hey, just out of curiosity Yuzo, when you went to Japan did a lot of people try to initiate conversations with you in Japanese even though you don't speak the language

Oh yeah definitely. I'm full Japanese and look the part so everyone naturally assumes I'm native. I almost always start out my conversations with anyone with "do you speak english" in japanese so that they know they're really dealing with a foreigner. That tends to set their expectations pretty low so when I speak my pidgen japanese they don't seem too bewildered.

The best part is going around with my fiancee, who looks white but speaks fluent Japanese. People always try to talk to me in Japanese, then since I only understand half of it, I look to her to fill me in. Then I ask her to translate something I want to say, and then the japanese person answers back to me, starting the whole weird cycle over again.

Yw
  • yuzo said:
    [quote=pocketmego]Hey, just out of curiosity Yuzo, when you went to Japan did a lot of people try to initiate conversations with you in Japanese even though you don't speak the language

Oh yeah definitely. I'm full Japanese and look the part so everyone naturally assumes I'm native. I almost always start out my conversations with anyone with "do you speak english" in japanese so that they know they're really dealing with a foreigner. That tends to set their expectations pretty low so when I speak my pidgen japanese they don't seem too bewildered.

The best part is going around with my fiancee, who looks white but speaks fluent Japanese. People always try to talk to me in Japanese, then since I only understand half of it, I look to her to fill me in. Then I ask her to translate something I want to say, and then the japanese person answers back to me, starting the whole weird cycle over again.

Yw[/quote]

When you next go to Japan and go round with your fiancee, wear a dark coat, glasses and a hat, get her to introduce herself as your 'communicator', and when you want to say something whisper it in her ear. People will start taking you very seriously.
  • yuzo said:
    [quote=pocketmego]Hey, just out of curiosity Yuzo, when you went to Japan did a lot of people try to initiate conversations with you in Japanese even though you don't speak the language

Yw[/quote]

LMAO!!

That's awesome. I thought of it when I remembered you retelling your account of playing the Idol game at the Arcade with the relative that actually spoke Japanese.

-Ray

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week