Photography
  • So who all is into photography these days? I've had a small point and shoot Samsung NV7 the past couple years (see images below). It's been a great camera with a few small manual features. Today I finally got into the DSLR field and ordered a Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm kit lens and an extra 55-200mm lens, which should be here next week. It's not the greatest but a great entry DLSR. Was just curious if anyone else here has an interest in photoprahy. Feel free to post some of your photos as well.

• I'm into it big time, got galleries both on Flickr (Tomi Tapio) and deviantArt/TomiTapio.

Noob's worries by Tomi Tapio, on Flickr

Väinö of Vallila by Tomi Tapio, on Flickr
  • I'm a junior photographer myself. I have a Canon Rebel T2i with the 18-55mm kit and a 50mm f/1.8 lens. I'm pretty critical of my stuff, so I dont post very often. I've had some fun with bulb exposures:

I have a bag and a cheap tripod. The next few things on my list that I want are:
    ~Improved strap (the one that came with it is terrible, I want a sling)
    ~Ball-head Monopod (Took some snowy outdoor shots this year, all turned out terrible because there is no IS/VR on my 50mm lens)
    ~Telephoto lens (Thinking 70-300mm, but it's $500)
    ~Wide Angle lens (Have a Bower 14-18mm lens in mind, no AF, but cheap and nice)

Not sure how into photography you fellas are, but http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ is probably the best site I know of with the best selection and deals. I love them.
  • Well, it seems we've had quite a few conversations about photography recently - I'm also just taking my first steps into dSLR ownership, and I know Kaidfather's thinking about taking the dive.

I don't have any of the pics I've taken so far with me on this laptop, but when I get to my home computer tonight, I'll post some up!
  • Yes taking the dive myself as well

It's a Christmas present for the wife, but I have a feeling that I will be the one learning how to use the dSLR properly.

I'm probably a week or so away from purchase and I have decided to go with the Canon t3i with the 18-135 lens.
  • I've been interested in photography for years, and bought my first DSLR nearly 2 years ago- I've recently passed the 16000th photo mark!

I started off with a Canon 500D (T1i in the US), with a 18-55mm kit lens, but have since upgraded this to a far superior 15-85 mm IS/USM, along with a 70-300 mm telphoto. I'll post some example photos later.

Kaidfather- the T3i and 18-135 mm kit looks like a great place to start; once you and your wife find out what kinds of photography you like doing best/ want to do but can't, then this will guide your growing addiction (you WILL get addicted :p!).

I've heard good things about the D3000 as well :)

Here are some of my photos, taken from deviantart (drr0b)

• I said I'd post some pics that I've taken with the new camera, here we go:

• Pulled the plug on the camera today - should have it towards the end of the week along with a bunch of accessories and a book to hopefully teach us how to use it! Getting excited for it!
  • I don't remember where I saw this, but I think it was just on some news site where they were just showing some of his work. This guy likes to take pictures of things hitting other things at a high impact. Like really random things like strawberries, popsicles, chocolate, ornaments. Some of them come out really cool looking. I looked up his name and I believe it's Alan Sailer, here's a link to some stuff:
    http://www.damncoolpictures.com/2010/09/high-speed-photography-by-alan-sailer.html

Spoiler:
  • I'm not professional or anything and I just have an Olympus FE-370. lol Here are some pics I thought were nice though that I've taken. As you can see, I enjoy close ups. :P

Lillies at the Missouri Botanical Gardens after a light rain shower:

Praying mantis in my garden.

Mantis again, too bad it didn't focus right. :(

weird mushroom...no, I didn't eat it.

Friend's kitty. His name is Oscar. :)

Gummy bears!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week