Give me suggestions for PAX
  • Ok so, what would make PAX a better experience. Give me some suggestions. I know it's amazing already, but what would make it better?

~Slix
  • Deoderant, Showering, Sleep.
  • Not having to wait in a 3+ hour line
  • Share a hotel room with some people unless you have unlimited cash.
  • Brisby said:
    Not having to wait in a 3+ hour line

yea, you have the right idea. What would make PAX itself a more enjoyable show?
  • Buy some "Extra Strength Tylenol" and take it regularly.

Also, might I suggest a good camera to savor all the memories? I can name a few if you're interested. ;)
  • - Bring your DS, if you have one.

- Talk to random people while in line, hanging out or where ever else at the convention

- Don't talk to random people in downtown seattle itself, lest you want to get stabbed

- Go to the grocery store and stock up on easy to make non-perishables to save money on food.

- Ummmmm... don't be a dick, because yeah... just don't...

- Don't forget your towel
  • Accept you're gonna miss things. A game, a meeting, a panel...there is SO much going on and so much happens last minute and you're just not gonna get to do everything. Savor what you do, and then look forward to sharing stories to hear about what you don't.

I also agree with Locke: shower and sleep. I'd add eat moderately healthy as well. It's three long days of awesome, and if you overdo it you won't make it to day three. Last year I moved to Seattle, and instead of staying in a hotel I saved money by just going home. The end result was I was going home and coming back, and eating mostly my own food...and I was still alive and awake by the end of Sunday. Sure, I didn't get blind drunk (as I was driving) and perhaps I missed out on very late night parties. But Monday came around and I was still functional, and I was able to really enjoy everything I DID see the whole weekend because I wasn't exhausted.
  • Hand sanitizer.

70,000+ gamers all handling the same controllers means getting sick is super easy. And you don't want to be sick for even a minute of PAX.

As for actual events at PAX, this is probably the best access you'll get to developers and celebrities in the gaming world. Take advantage of it. Whether its you talking to a indie dev about his game or asking Mikey Neumann to sign your copy of Borderlands. And if you are getting a case signed, pull out of the paper cover and have them sign that not the plastic outside. Lesson learned. :(
  • I remember seeing a video of a noobtoob outside get-together. Something like that would be great. Any game a large group could play would be fun too. At Animazement, one of the projectors was hooked up to a Sega Saturn that had a 10-player Bomberman match. I probably spent 1/3 of the convention playing that. A tabletop pen & paper rpg would be good too. I just love how crazy they can get. I prefer Star Wars as lots of people are relatively familiar with the universe. Of course, if they have a Mass Effect one out by now, that will do too.

If anyone knows of a cheap sprint evo, let me know. I need to upgrade to a smartphone this time.

As for the realm of the improvable, I would like $1000 for a crazy Lulu cosplay outfit complete with custom made Real Breasts(tm) and a 2-foot moogle plushie. I swear one year I will get the money together to do it!
  • Senor Mathias said:

- Don't talk to random people in downtown seattle itself, lest you want to get stabbed

some of my best memories were from talking to strangers in downtown seattle.
    i talked to some guy that was at a cheese convention for about an hour last year. trust me i know it sounds lame but it is really interesting how they rate cheeses when it comes time to give out the awards...or at least this guy made it interesting.

i also talked to some guy next to me at a bar that turned out to be courtney taylor of the dandy warhols. i will assume that it was his manager that walked in and god was he the stereotype of the slick quick talking talent manager.

on another note the people that will be in line in pax are in downtown seattle so your contradicting your advice.
  • I think it really depends on where you are. I've had the people from Children's International flag me down because they thought it was awesome to see me crossdressing. On the other hand, I've had a guy that I think was drunk run across a somewhat busy street to flirt with me.
  • gilligan said:
    some of my best memories were from talking to strangers in downtown seattle.
    i talked to some guy that was at a cheese convention for about an hour last year. trust me i know it sounds lame but it is really interesting how they rate cheeses when it comes time to give out the awards...or at least this guy made it interesting.

i also talked to some guy next to me at a bar that turned out to be courtney taylor of the dandy warhols. i will assume that it was his manager that walked in and god was he the stereotype of the slick quick talking talent manager.

on another note the people that will be in line in pax are in downtown seattle so your contradicting your advice.

Touche, good sir, touche.

Obiviously you have better luck talking to random people in downtown seattle that I do.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week