Retro Gaming Club: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  • Time to break out your DS/GBA's! Our winner for this weeks game is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the GBA! Details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics_Advance

So this looks to be a spinoff of the original Final Fantasy Tactics that I played on the original PS1. I'm not sure which one you guys voted for exactly but I figure the more recent is probably the easiest to get a hold of.

I enjoyed the PS1 original when I played it, but it definitely got a little too micromanage-y towards the middle. Good little tactical turn based fighting though --- should be fun after playing Fallout :).

Let's do SOTC next week since it came in third. I'll put up a new vote soon so make sure your suggestions are added to the wiki!

http://www.noobtoob.com/wiki/Retro_Gaming_Club

Yw
  • YES!!! that game was awesome, and the greatest final fantasy i have ever played (which is not saying much). I beat it twice and still played it even tough i beat it
  • mmm, FF goodness. FFTA is alsome. Just it realllllly sucks starting the game because the freaking intro is 45 minutes long! That is just way to long, I don't want to have a snow ball fight!!! waaaah, but after that though it gets better lol. Look forward to discussing it.
  • Wow, this is such a great game. In my opionion though the main character gets a little weak later on. This may just be me though and the fact that i don't train him very much :(. I love the diversity in the play styles though. Dragoons FTW!
  • edit.. no rom links/talk please.
  • Bagh ! I wish SOTC won . It`s totally EPIC , and kinda sad too . Wich is good :) Not many games with an "emotion:" out there .
    ( except point whoring that is )

I do know Square is working on a FF TA re-make for the PSP .
    The usual fanfare of improved graphics , soundtrack ( this time orchestral score ) and kickass CG cutscenes and i think even a bit more to it.
    Oh well , I`ll at least give it a try so that I can properly criticise it :P ( At you Tobin ! SC hater ! :P )
  • gwenster said:
    I do know Square is working on a FF TA re-make for the PSP .
    The usual fanfare of improved graphics , soundtrack ( this time orchestral score ) and kickass CG cutscenes and i think even a bit more to it.
    Oh well , I`ll at least give it a try so that I can properly criticise it :P ( At you Tobin ! SC hater ! :P )

Don't forget the DS.
  • ( The noob only has a PC...) Anyone know if you can download it or buy it somewhere for PC ? Because i have no way of playing it if there isnt :(
  • i believe silverbullet gave links to a site that had the ROM for the game.
  • Kybar said:
    i believe silverbullet gave links to a site that had the ROM for the game.

Yes ideed. I should probably make a thread on it.
  • id just like to say hi and to start off with saying that i am really pleased that you chose this game as the retro game of the week dude. i mean this was really underrated because of the really bad ffX2 recently coming out before it,whichi would like to say was an abosolute pile of crap,if i wanted charlies angels i would go and borrow it off my girlfriend.But in ffX2...comon.Anyways that was a shame but this game...

well first thoughts are that they tried something diffenent from there usual final fantasys but the good thing is that they really cracked this one on the head,especially concidering that this was for the gba!with this they have made a game which is challenging but very rewarding at the same time,i was always trying to get the next best job or next skill which wass great.The next thing was the difficulty,it always seemed to me that they made it hard enough for you to be able to do the first few levels,but then as you get on you start to have to get strategys and make certain jobs so that you can tackle any enemy,especially with those ever changing laws.Finally one of the last points is how long you can actually spend on this...i remember the first time i played this i pretty much just went through the main story which took me say 30hours,but you can go off and do other things like training and sub missions while doing the main story which is great...but this is point i love about the game,once youve done the main story and completed it you can keep on playing just like before with new bonus missions,there are actually 300 missions which tells you how big this actually is!

However there are a few bad points. 1 of them to start off with is the into,this thing is a killer,nearly an hourof boredom,yes it teaches you the basics of the game but it takes soo long...they coul do it in say 10 mins. the next bit is the problem with equipping items,normally with a final fantasy its a little annoying but with this you have so many characters to equip items as well as abilitys to.you can spend half an hour just doing all that before you do a mission.The last bit is that sometimes it is slow,the gamplay is a little slow and this is not the time of game you just spend five mins on,like i said you spend half an hour just getting into the game so yea.

However i think overall this is a gem of a game and my fave gba game of all time in my opinion,closly followed by fire emblem or super mario =)

feel free to make comments or reply on what i have said.
  • Hey all, keep up the good discussion but please refrain from posting any ROM links or the like. Let's keep it on the level and support the developers when we can. We understand that in some cases it's the only way you can play, just try and keep the blatant stuff off the boards if ya can help it.

Thanks!
  • ye man i complety hear what your saying...i mean its not like there worth that much,heck i recks you could prob pick up a gba and this game off ebay for say £30...how much is that in us dollars?
  • finaly a game i know about have played and have finished. I got my stupid BG&E disk didn't play on my ps2 and i felt so left out
  • Finally a game that I have already without having to buy it. Now to find out where I put my Playstation 1 and tactics.... Asbestos here I come

I am still working on Psychonauts though because I dont have much time and that game is one of the best puchases I have ever made on steam
  • normally ur games are or impossible to get or i dont have the console for it, but as u may already know im a ds whore, ill be making my effort to get my ass to the store and look for it, though if somebody knows the japan name it will make it easiaer, i think is going to be kind of fainaru fantaji takutikusu
    hahah
    lol
    when i come back to mex ill definetly try pshyconauts
  • Ok... how the fuck do I save this game?
  • Saving is easy first take it out of your ds/advanced, then toss both in the garbage and your saved from an awful game.
  • i went to the local store and searched for 30 minutes in the stacks for the copy of tactics, and after getting dizzy of watching all the cracky japanese games, i found it finnnaly and i got so fucking pissed of, they didn't have it avaiable, damnit, im so not getting it anymore i got so disapointed.
  • Dirty_molester said:
    Saving is easy first take it out of your ds/advanced, then toss both in the garbage and your saved from an awful game.

I've played it a while ago before. It's pretty good.

Fire Emblem 6, 7, and 8 are superior games though.
  • Dirty_molester said:
    Saving is easy first take it out of your ds/advanced, then toss both in the garbage and your saved from an awful game.

maybe try playing the game for real before you start bashing it.
  • haha my friends are probably bigger FF fans then you and they hated the game I can't stand any ff game aside from 10,12 and tactics they ruled so when i played ff tactics advanced and found that it was no where close to as good as the one for playstation i was crushed I will never touch that game again.
  • Great game, played it about two years ago on my GBA SP. Never finished it though because i've had consoles at the same time. Never traveled as much to finish it. But liked the tactics. NGage game Rifts is a lot like it. Though the story is better.
  • Panzerdragoon7 said:
    Great game, played it about two years ago on my GBA SP. Never finished it though because i've had consoles at the same time. Never traveled as much to finish it. But liked the tactics. NGage game Rifts is a lot like it. Though the story is better.

Holy fucking shit! You had an N-Gage?! I thought they only sold like...250.
  • Dirty_molester said:
    haha my friends are probably bigger FF fans then you and they hated the game I can't stand any ff game aside from 10,12 and tactics they ruled so when i played ff tactics advanced and found that it was no where close to as good as the one for playstation i was crushed I will never touch that game again.

dont base your choice on a friends opinion. and just because its different, doesn't mean its bad
  • Good and fun game Played it last year and its a little different from the Final fantasy series.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week