Episode #223 - 02/14/2011
  • Show Notes

[center:91c4f8fca3]

[/center:91c4f8fca3]
    ----------

If you want to be featured on the next show, call us @ 888-233-8480 with a question (don't forget your name and where you're from), or send us an mp3 to [email]feedback@noobtoob.com[/email].

Please be sure to check out the Youtube page for the episode at the link above and please take some time to rate the video and leave a comment. This helps spread the word by getting us on the highest rated pages!

As always, you can subscribe to the show in iTunes so you can get it as soon as we push it out.

Subscribe to the Audio version

Subscribe to the Video version
  • Magicka

SUPRENDE! It sold over 200,000 copies. Damn. Despite all the bugs it had a launch. They released over 10 patches and I still had a few problems, but at least I can play now. Joining a running game is really a big omission and I really hope they add that in soon.
    It's so much fun though, when you actually get a game going.

Crysis 2

I don't really understand why people talk Crysis down so much. I only played it a month ago and it was pretty awesome experience. Perhaps I went in with low expectations and so was pleasantly surprised. Lot's of explosions, great scripted sequences, you get to drive tanks and helicopters, and the gameplay is quite varied and fun as well. Crysis is far better than the Call of Duties, for instance, when it comes the singleplayer. Ok, when I have to compare it to CoD, then it's probably not that good, but still ... ;)

As for Crysis 2 ... whatever, not terribly interested. There wasn't a PC demo for some reason. Something I might pick in the future for cheaps.

Yes, I think quick comments about bad games you played would be cool. There is obviously some comedy to be found there too.

The ending was funny. Dunka Dunka

I'll recommend another game you can try the demo of this week, namely Atom Zombie Smasher. It's a zombie outbreak sim, where you, as the government, try to save the survivors. http://www.blendogames.com/atomzombiesmasher/
  • Regarding the 1 minute "this game is shit" warning/reviews, I really hope you guys don't make it a regular thing. Not because it's not useful, but because I want more details. Besides, some of the best episodes were ones where you talked about games that you couldn't stand. I'd rather you scrap demo reviews and put more focus on "real" games. If someone wants to check out a demo they can do that themselves. Dropping $60 on a game however, those are when they want that push one way or the other.

My 2 yen.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    Regarding the 1 minute "this game is shit" warning/reviews, I really hope you guys don't make it a regular thing. Not because it's not useful, but because I want more details. Besides, some of the best episodes were ones where you talked about games that you couldn't stand. I'd rather you scrap demo reviews and put more focus on "real" games. If someone wants to check out a demo they can do that themselves. Dropping $60 on a game however, those are when they want that push one way or the other.

My 2 yen.

That's mainly why we've been avoiding discussing crappy games. Most of the time people want to hear more, or somehow get upset because they like the game and want to know why we didn't give it a chance.

Still, the feedback on the YT comments seem to lean towards giving a quick warning, so we'll give that a try and see how it goes.

The thing with demos is more of a time management thing. We typically can only really go deep with 1-2 games in the week between episodes, so we try out demos and smaller games to mix things up a bit when we do the show. The audience is pretty evenly split between, "just talk about one game for an hour" and "omg that game is boring why'd you talk about it so long", so our tendency is to shoot for 3-5 games, but spend a majority of our time talking about 1-2 each week.

Yw
  • i get an error when i want to post a message on youtube.

learn igo interactive http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/
    en download Igowin Tobin

so Yuzo did you try the Killzone 3 beta yet, but i start to notice that if it is not as "visceral" as COD that you don't seem to like it.
  • yuzo said:
    Most of the time people want to hear more, or somehow get upset because they like the game and want to know why we didn't give it a chance.

Still, the feedback on the YT comments seem to lean towards giving a quick warning, so we'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Yw

I get that you are both too busy to give every game a thorough playing before you review them, and I'm all for giving the people what they want. If it turns out people are happy with the mini-warnings then so be it. I'm just saying I personally prefer the more in-depth stuff you guys do. It's also a shame for me because Mindjack and Venetica were both games I would have liked to have heard both your comments on, but instead they each just got a 1 minute speed-thrashing.

One final thing, your comment about being worried about pissing off your viewers by saying a game is terrible has me worried a little, because to not do so is doing both your audience and the games a disservice. We already have enough reviewers playing it safe and blowing sunshine up the asses of games that never even deserve to see the light of day. Stay true to your roots guys! Say the ugly things that need to be said.
  • This has had to been the funniest episode I have seen in a while, I was laughing a lot... Keep it up.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    One final thing, your comment about being worried about pissing off your viewers by saying a game is terrible has me worried a little, because to not do so is doing both your audience and the games a disservice. We already have enough reviewers playing it safe and blowing sunshine up the asses of games that never even deserve to see the light of day. Stay true to your roots guys! Say the ugly things that need to be said.

Heh, considering how many people we've pissed off with our reviews in the past few months I wouldn't worry too much about us not staying true to our roots.

Our main concern isn't so much them being pissed off that we didn't like a game they liked, but more that we just did a 1-minute "avoid this game like the plague" and annoyed a bunch of people because they felt like we didn't give it a chance. If we do that too much that tends to make a lot of people complain on the Youtube comments.

Our primary goal is to entertain, followed by informing, which is why we've generally avoided talking about really shitty games we gave up on after 5-10 minutes. But its sounding like a lot of people would appreciate the warning (and some hope that we'll be funny trashing a shitty game), so we'll experiment a bit and see how it goes.

Yw
  • yuzo said:

Heh, considering how many people we've pissed off with our reviews in the past few months I wouldn't worry too much about us not staying true to our roots.

Our primary goal is to entertain, followed by informing, which is why we've generally avoided talking about really shitty games we gave up on after 5-10 minutes. But its sounding like a lot of people would appreciate the warning (and some hope that we'll be funny trashing a shitty game), so we'll experiment a bit and see how it goes.

Yw

I think people on YouTube would complain no matter what you did.

And 5-10 minutes trashing a shitty game can be entertaining. Yahtzee built a carreer of of it after all :)
  • Me and a friend picked up Magicka and we bad a blast, but we had some major glitches. For example when fighting one of the bosses it glitched and he wouldn't reappear, this happened multiple times and the only thing we could do was commit suicide and basically speedrun the boss so it didn't have a chance to glitch.

Still it was an excellent little game worth the small price tag and it's on sale at the moment if I recall.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week