Star Trek Universe vs Star Wars Universe
  • Not in "which one do you like more" but more in the vein of...which is the STRONGER of the two? I'm not an expert on either, but I'd like to leave it up to you guys to decide which one would triumph if, say...their universes were all of a sudden mixed together and they were forced to deal with each other.

Help, Trekkers and SW geeks! Help! I'm not good enough at this!
  • I'm not a huge Star Trek guy, but I don't remember anything from my days of watching Voyager, or the films, that could destroy planets with one blast, like the Death Star. But if that's not enough, Star Wars had the Sun Crusher, which could destroy entire star systems by causing a star to go supernova. It could also survive pretty much any lasers, including perhaps the Death Star.

Oh, and I would take a Jedi in a fight over anything Star Trek threw at me, like the Borg. I mean, The Force is basically a super powered source of magic. The only thing Star Trek has like that that I know of is Q.
  • I think star wars universe would win. Star Trek is awesome but its kinda written in a more realistic fashion. Star Wars is more mythological, the force and such, and with super hero like characters Star Trek cant really compete. Star Trek is a little more interesting but its characters are kinda like everyday people. As much as i would like to think Worf would bitch slap the light brite right off Vader's chest, it probably wouldn't happen. Star Wars tech seems to be more advance and much more deadly.

I think i like Star Trek better, but Star Wars is also awesome :D
  • I remember the Sun Crusher - I read those Expanded Universe books a ways back.

Terpman does give us a lot of clarity on it - Star Trek is better thought out, more realistic compared to Star Wars. I suppose the question should be asked...

Remove Jedi, remove Sith, and leave it down to just the Federation vs the Empire and/or Rebels - then who's the strongest?
  • Sunflower said:
    Remove Jedi, remove Sith, and leave it down to just the Federation vs the Empire and/or Rebels - then who's the strongest?

I think Star Wars win's here too. The Empire/Rebels are equipped and ready for war, they have the most advanced weapons and tech they can get their hands on. A lot of Federation ships whilst still technologically advance were just for exploration and diplomatic missions. They wouldn't be able to go one on one with Empire fleets. Not to mention the Federation has more enemies then the Empire/Rebels ever did.

Then again, it's most likely the Federation would ally with the Rebels and the Empire would ally with the Klingons or Romulans anyway. In that case it's just kind of a stalemate.
  • These two universes have very different rules. Would a guy with a super sword really matter when giant startships exchange shots? Probably not, but in Star Wars, it always comes down to that guy, over and over again. Samurai versus Humanist is not a military conflict, it is a philosophical one. Who wins is determined by whose rules we are playing by.. which is determined by which one you like more.

Both these worlds are pretty fantastical when you get down to it. Trek might be more interested is science, but that is not the actual focus. Why do starship bank when they turn? Why do they make noise? It's a vaccum people. Why are 95% of all intelligent species humanoid? Why does so much of the galaxy look like southern California? Again, very hard to set up consistent rules of engagement in this thought experiment.

All that being said, the Enterprise would come through in the end... bitches!

For a much more intelligent take, you could read David Brin's essay comparing the franchises. David Brin wrote Startide Rising, one of THE great scifi novels. He is smarter than you are.

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/feature/1999/06/15/brin_main
  • Star Trek. It would bore Star Wars to death.

I think one of the main reasons I could never get into Star Trek is the uniforms. They're just so boring and plain. Here is how to cosplay Star Trek - buy loose fitting Under Armor.
  • Sunflower said:

The easy answer would be star wars. But if you set up an OP for this battle i could see the Federation winning, pending on the OP. If it was just all the Empires resources vs. the Federation's resources, Empire wins.

But if you get specific, Example: 500 Federation troops vs 500 Empire Troops, both with standard gear. It becomes a close fight, a winnable fight for either side. That would open up a actual debate on the subject. It would also allow people to leave a short educated opinion.

So i would ask you sunflower to be more specific ;D.
  • Well, a simple question would also be...is there ANYONE in the Federation that could stand up to Vader? Or Luke, for that matter?
  • star trek is too goody 2 shoes, star wars is much more darker. but both are hindered by poor writing in the movies and the tv series, don't know about the books.

anyway i prefer the Babylon 5 universe :P
  • Star Trek Universe.

Why?

One letter:

Q ( of the Continuum)

Supernatural god-beings that exist within different dimensions (if I remember right).

That'd survive a supernova. That'd survive anything. Fuck your jedi mind tricks, Q can damn well do ANYTHING!
  • tallchick said:
    Star Trek Universe.

Why?

One letter:

Q ( of the Continuum)

Supernatural god-beings that exist within different dimensions (if I remember right).

That'd survive a supernova. That'd survive anything. Fuck your jedi mind tricks, Q can damn well do ANYTHING!

Q would own the whole star wars universe.

lol, but i would assume that Q is out of the battle. If Jedi cant be there i dont think its really fair to have Q. But the Borg could probably take on the Empire.

Sunflower said:
    Well, a simple question would also be...is there ANYONE in the Federation that could stand up to Vader? Or Luke, for that matter?

I cant think of anyone off the top of my head...I mean sure like super beings and stuff but no one that could beat jedi/sith in a fair fight.
  • I'm not much of a trekker, so could someone explain why Q is so powerful and what makes him, well...godly?
  • tallchick said:
    Star Trek Universe.

Why?

One letter:

Q ( of the Continuum)

you underestimate the power of the force.
  • Q and his brethren are not the only all powerful aliens of the Star Trek universe. Next Gen just used Q as the "all powerful" stand in to have the conversations that Kirk had with a number of beings. He was a plot device. Usually testing human character in a Loki/trickster sort of way, but rarely with any insight on his part.

Fortunately, grad school and girls washed away much of my Trek knowledge, but the original was rather awash in pan-dimensional beings that could do anything. This was usually to show that either a convincing arguement or standing by your principles were at least as important as raw power. Part of why I love trek.

I am surprised the large British contingent has not brought up how Dr Who would beat all their butts, like so many one-armed cybermen. I don't think Blake's 7 would last long in either universe.
  • Nothing is all powerful in trek universe, you always now it will built up and end with an anticlimax. and star wars well, the puppets in thunderbirds have more caricaturisation then those in Star wars.

Blake 7 i loved that show, group of misfits. talk about other shows, UFO, raumshiff Orion!
  • Terpman said:
    [quote=tallchick]Star Trek Universe.

Why?

One letter:

Q ( of the Continuum)

Q would own the whole star wars universe.

lol, but i would assume that Q is out of the battle. If Jedi cant be there i dont think its really fair to have Q. But the Borg could probably take on the Empire.

Sunflower said:
    Well, a simple question would also be...is there ANYONE in the Federation that could stand up to Vader? Or Luke, for that matter?

I cant think of anyone off the top of my head...I mean sure like super beings and stuff but no one that could beat jedi/sith in a fair fight.[/quote]

actualy thats not completley true about no one being able to beat a sith/jedi ina fair fight. in the old republic there were people who traind for the specific purpose of killing jedi.

they wernt force sensative but they were on the same level as jedi when it came to melee combat
  • In the Star Wars universe there are also creatures that essentially "remove" the force from a small area... IIRC, Thrawn had some troops use them against the Jedi. Either that or the Yuuzhan Vong did, can't remember which. Plus, that coughing general from Episode II had killed numerous Jedi, and some bounty hunters have killed them.
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    In the Star Wars universe there are also creatures that essentially "remove" the force from a small area... IIRC, Thrawn had some troops use them against the Jedi. Either that or the Yuuzhan Vong did, can't remember which. Plus, that coughing general from Episode II had killed numerous Jedi, and some bounty hunters have killed them.

Yeah, the ysalamiri.
  • Crymzen said:
    actualy thats not completley true about no one being able to beat a sith/jedi ina fair fight. in the old republic there were people who traind for the specific purpose of killing jedi.

He meant there's no-one in the Star Trek universe capable of beating a Jedi/Sith in a fair fight, apart from Q. Still, I'd like to see a Klingon with a vibro-blade fight a saber wielder.
  • Chip said:
    [quote=Crymzen]actualy thats not completley true about no one being able to beat a sith/jedi ina fair fight. in the old republic there were people who traind for the specific purpose of killing jedi.

He meant there's no-one in the Star Trek universe capable of beating a Jedi/Sith in a fair fight, apart from Q. Still, I'd like to see a Klingon with a vibro-blade fight a saber wielder.[/quote]
    There are a number of races in Star Trek that have psychic powers and/or powers to bend time and space.

I think the Star Trek universe is technologically far more advanced and it is developing far more rapidly too. Compare the 18,000 years of development of the SW culture and the few hundred in ST.
    The Republic or the Empire have MUCH MUCH more resources though. Lets not confuse economy and technolgy.

There are examples in Star Trek lore of the destruction of planets and solar systems, as well as the creation of solar systems. Though it's all a lot more subtle; not the LASERBEAMOFDEATH kind of deal.

Westw mentions that Q is a plot device and I think that is something you need to take into account about ST in general. It's a Universe that didn't develop with this huge lore in mind, like SW (or something like LOTR) did. There are many many cases of things, like races or a specific technology, that appear only once in a episode to make the episode work as a sort of case study and then you never hear of it again.
  • Just in terms of the amount of material, I'd have to give Star Trek the edge. So many different series', each with often 7 seasons. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, but it may also be that because Star Trek is fairly obviously set in our own future, I can relate to it more.
  • Niflheim said:
    Just in terms of the amount of material, I'd have to give Star Trek the edge. So many different series', each with often 7 seasons. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, but it may also be that because Star Trek is fairly obviously set in our own future, I can relate to it more.

i think you miss the question. star trek can have a million series but if the tech isnt there to defeat a tie fighter then it loses.

now i will play devils advocate or at least give the best argument i can for the side i think loses hands down.
    have you ever seen a stormtrooper shoot a gun? i mean how many times have you seen one kill a rebel scum from more than 10 ft. away without using at least 50 shots from his laser rifle (not to mention having his buddy next to him have 50 shots also without hitting anything)

to me this is like asking if you had 5000 russian soldiers and 5000 american soldiers in a war who would win? the answer...well it depends on which soldiers.
    i find it interesting that nobody brought up the mandalorians yet.
    the truth is that both worlds are to big for anyone to know all the combatants in such a fight and there would really need to be a better set of rules established also.
    after all on star wars unleashed 2 you were pulling ships out of the sky and destroying them while throwing them into other ships.
  • gilligan said:
    [quote=Niflheim]Just in terms of the amount of material, I'd have to give Star Trek the edge. So many different series', each with often 7 seasons. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, but it may also be that because Star Trek is fairly obviously set in our own future, I can relate to it more.

i think you miss the question. star trek can have a million series but if the tech isnt there to defeat a tie fighter then it loses.

now i will play devils advocate or at least give the best argument i can for the side i think loses hands down.
    have you ever seen a stormtrooper shoot a gun? i mean how many times have you seen one kill a rebel scum from more than 10 ft. away without using at least 50 shots from his laser rifle (not to mention having his buddy next to him have 50 shots also without hitting anything)

to me this is like asking if you had 5000 russian soldiers and 5000 american soldiers in a war who would win? the answer...well it depends on which soldiers.
    i find it interesting that nobody brought up the mandalorians yet.
    the truth is that both worlds are to big for anyone to know all the combatants in such a fight and there would really need to be a better set of rules established also.
    after all on star wars unleashed 2 you were pulling ships out of the sky and destroying them while throwing them into other ships.[/quote]

ahh the mandalorians. the race that so very nearlty destroyed the republic, BEWARE THE BASALISK WAR MACHINE! that machine inspired fear in the republic, with all the ships and soldiers the republic had none could match the mandalorian basalisk.

the mandalorians always leads me to revan, you cant forget about him, he is in tale the most powerfull jedi/sith to ever walk the old republic.chosen by the true sith to prepare for there arival.as said by kreya "revan was power, staring at him was like looking into the heart of the force, you could see the jedi he slay etched on his soul"
  • If you're taking out all forms of magical beings then I'd say Star Trek universe would just kick the ass of the Star Wars one. No Jedi? No chance.. 1 hit to a tie fighter = dead tie fighter, need to get round the shields in Star Trek first. Maybe the Empire has more numbers than the federation (doubtful in itself... the federation expands and recruits over all spices in the Star Trek universe. Sure, each show only concintrates on one shit in whatever sector it's in at the time but their universe is huge and has loads of species that would come into it as well)

The Borg by themselves would destroy the SW universe with no jedi or other forms of super powers. They don't have much to work with in the SW universe, just seem to have phasers for handheld weapons, easily adaptable. Lasers on their ships, same again.

Don't really like this sort of debate really because there's always someone that'll come in and take it far too serious ruining it for everyone lol. Just waiting for it.
  • vowel said:
    If you're taking out all forms of magical beings then I'd say Star Trek universe would just kick the ass of the Star Wars one. No Jedi? No chance.. 1 hit to a tie fighter = dead tie fighter, need to get round the shields in Star Trek first. Maybe the Empire has more numbers than the federation (doubtful in itself... the federation expands and recruits over all spices in the Star Trek universe. Sure, each show only concintrates on one shit in whatever sector it's in at the time but their universe is huge and has loads of species that would come into it as well)

The Borg by themselves would destroy the SW universe with no jedi or other forms of super powers. They don't have much to work with in the SW universe, just seem to have phasers for handheld weapons, easily adaptable. Lasers on their ships, same again.

Don't really like this sort of debate really because there's always someone that'll come in and take it far too serious ruining it for everyone lol. Just waiting for it.

it may not be true that with no force sensatives the star wars universe would lose.

mandalorians
    bounty hunters
    storm troopers
    laser turrets(very powerfull)
    thermal detonators(very powerfull)
    look up taris destruction on youtube its amazing what a few destroyers can do..

and while i agree that a 1 hit to a tie fighter will destroy and there is a lack of shields same with the X wing and other fighters but what about a sith destroyer?or a republic war ship?? and a mandalorian warship?? these things were heavy on sields and packed a huge punch, just a few of them could destroy an entire planet with the firepower they have.

this unfortunatly is a debate that would never be settled for 1 reason, its too close to call

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week