Episode #215 - 12/20/2010
  • Show Notes

[center:94572dc35b]

[/center:94572dc35b]
    ----------

If you want to be featured on the next show, call us @ 888-233-8480 with a question (don't forget your name and where you're from), or send us an mp3 to [email]feedback@noobtoob.com[/email].

Please be sure to check out the Youtube page for the episode at the link above and please take some time to rate the video and leave a comment. This helps spread the word by getting us on the highest rated pages!

As always, you can subscribe to the show in iTunes so you can get it as soon as we push it out.

Subscribe to the Audio version
    Subscribe to the Video version
  • I was really disappointed to see Tobin flip flop on final fantasy 13. I remember that final fantasy 13 show very well... and what i have always loved about noobtoob is when you guys disagree and stick up for your opinions.

It was clear that tobin really enjoyed final fantasy 13 on that show ( he even gives it a thumbs up) and was going on about how he was still playing it and couldn't put it down. At least thats what i remember..i was so shocked by this show i went back and watched the episode and all of what i remembered took place. why the flip flop?

Apparently over the past few months he has given in to peer pressure and media persuasion concerning FF13. FF13 is suddenly now not worth playing...hmm...

Its unfortunate to see tobin succumb to the "FF13" hate and peer pressure when its was clear (at least according to that show) that he really loved the game.Yet now during this show he supports it being a huge disappointment and said nothing but negative things about the game. Stick up for your opinions tobin!

-Morgan
  • People have a right to change their opinion Siefer8

I was probably the first noobtoober that bought Final Failure 13 in Japan, Late December 2009.
    And I agree with Yuzo, it is a gold covered pile of shit. It is by no means a FF game.
    Crisis Core on the PSP was closer to an FF game than FF13.

The whole game is just grinding monsters even when it opens up in gran pulse it is just more monster grinding.

Tobin why is not Dead or alive paradise on your handheld list? :P
  • Just so you guys know there is going to be a wii zelda game most likely next year, called skyward sword. Also, Dead rising 2 was made by blue castle games a Canadian developer with japanese influence.
    Still enjoyed the show and look forward seeing the bigger games next week.
  • Im not disappointed or surprised anymore but square enix, there hasnt been a decent FF title in years they dont know what they are doing anymore the only game they have released recently that was good was last remnant.

on another note....
    Told you guys Monster Hunter was boss, glad to see it get some love. I dont really get what you guys were saying about the online though its pretty decent not much different from any of the other games except in tri and fronteir they added monster specific rooms where you can get a group going specifically for a certain thing, its minimalistic but it servers your needs.
  • Siefer8 said:

Apparently over the past few months he has given in to peer pressure and media persuasion concerning FF13. FF13 is suddenly now not worth playing...hmm...

Well if you think about it, at the time of his review he'd not made as much progress in the game as he has since then. He even says that the combat is great, and the first few hours the game gives you that sense of freshness and excitement. His opinion only changed when he realized it was the same thing for 40 hours straight, something he did not become aware of until he reached that point AFTER his initial review.
  • Great show!

I also had not realized how weak this year was for both handheld games and Wii titles. Probably a decent collection overall but nothing that stands out like you see on the PS3 or 360 or PC. So at least for me I'm more excited about part two of your show!

Also I've got to agree with the FF13 biggest disappointment, and not surprised it might have needed to sit and stew for a while before realizing...damn...that just wasn't very good. I had such high hopes for it, having loved the series through 10 and not getting the chance to play 12, and then being super excited to see a FF game on the 360. But it was a slow slogging playthrough, and I literally ran through the last few hours out of some misguided idea that it might have an epic ending as a payoff.

Ah well...looking forward to next week!
  • Siefer8, I wouldn't put too much stock in our older reviews as being the final story on the game. As arsenicknife mentions, many times we continue playing the game after our initial review and encounter things that change our opinion (for good or for bad). Keep in mind that we typically get new games on a Tuesday, and have about 5 days to play through 4-5 games before we record on the following monday/tuesday. This doesn't typically allow that much time to get a full breadth of what the game truly is about, so our discussions are more like "impressions" than full reviews.

While Tobin changed his mind on FFXIII, we both changed our mind on DQ9 a couple of months after our initial review once we started playing cooperatively at PAX with other NooBTooBers.

Also, sometimes it takes a few months for the experience with games to sink in -- where we can objectively compare them with other games we played that year. Sometimes in really dry months, a somewhat mediocre game is worth a buy or rent just because there isn't anything else worth playing around that time. But come year-end, those games will drop off the list when compared to the heavy hitters that come during the holidays.

I suppose the main point is to understand that our discussions are entirely subjective and based on our personal experience with each game. If you're looking for "objective" reviews that big gaming sites try to offer, you're more than likely going to be disappointed in what we have to offer. We aim for our discussions to be somewhat useful to folks looking for games to buy/rent, and also make an effort to be entertaining, but that's really it :).

Just a couple of gamers talkin' about games.

Yw
  • Hey Yuzo, some people are talkin' bout pinball scores...hope to see some Pinball FX2 love next ep. ;)

You guys' talk of the Wii games of the year has inspired me to fill in some Wii holes I have in my library. So I just spent some money. But it's for a good cause! I keep waffling on DKC Returns...
  • Sunflower said:
    Hey Yuzo, some people are talkin' bout pinball scores...hope to see some Pinball FX2 love next ep. ;)

You guys' talk of the Wii games of the year has inspired me to fill in some Wii holes I have in my library. So I just spent some money. But it's for a good cause! I keep waffling on DKC Returns...

DKC is solid, you won't be displeased.

I can't believe we both totally forgot about the new Zelda.. damn wine screwed up our brains.

Also regarding Pinball FX, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :).

Yw
  • Hi, ive been using iTunes for a while to get the podcast. That is, until there was only audio, not video... Why is this? If there is a problem with server-side memory, I have a server with unlimited bandwidth and hdd space... and can host the .mp4 for iTunes. Is there a different reason?
    Just wondering, thanks
  • @yuzo
    Understandable, but when you disagree its so damn interesting! Maybe because you so rarley disagree that much.The dichotomy of your personalities and opinions in that particular show was fascinating...

I guess such is the nature of a 60 plus hour plus gaming experience. It covers such a grand portion of your life it can be truly difficult to quantify your experience. Just surprised me a bit. I know tobin loves it somewhere deep down in his soul! lol....somewhere...

I was glad to see the donkey kong love though. Have a great one.

morgan

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week