Tomb Raider News Thread
  • Rumors have pegged the next Tomb Raider game, a supposed reboot, as some sort of open-world mash-up that has Lara Croft surviving as opposed to raiding. And if a leaked fact sheet is to be believed, well, the next Tomb Raider will be just that.

The sheet, which appeared at and has since been pulled from website Four Player Co-op once Crystal Dynamics lawyers allegedly caught wind of the posting, says that the next game will be set on a mysterious and rather dangerous island off the coast of Japan. An "inexperienced" Lara finds herself there after her "research vessel" sinks during a violent storm. As a result, this now unprepared Lara must survive.

And we're not talking strictly food and drink survival here. According to the sheet, this island happens to be home to "mysterious enemies" that will hunt Lara as she apparently attempts to hunt them. When the two clash, the player will be asked to "brutally attack and defend" themselves in one-on-one combat.

[center:cefdf5ae7f]image[/center:cefdf5ae7f]

There will be long-range combat, too. As Shacknews points out, one of the concept images Four Player Co-op managed to obtain showed Lara on the back of a horse with a bow and arrow. The fact sheet also mentions guns and melee weapons.

Progression on the island (which is described as "one cohesive world") appears to be tied to item attainment, much like a Metroid game. "React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options," the fact sheet reads, according to Shack.

[center:cefdf5ae7f]image[/center:cefdf5ae7f]

It bears mentioning that this world will have multiple regions and weather effects, as well as naturally occurring events.

The point of this project, as outlined by the fact sheet in the last bullet point, is to reboot the franchise and show you how Lara Croft turned into this tough as nails broad who fights mummies without question. I'm not sure if this latest title will do the trick (or if any of this is information actually accurate), but I am excited for a Tomb Raider title for the first time ever. That counts for something, right?

Also the January Issue of GameInformer above is about Tomb Raider.

So what do you think? Tomb Raider is going into another direction which I'm nto so sure about but of course we don't have enough information to know anything really. Still I'll keep looking for new info since this seems interesting

Source: [spoiler:cefdf5ae7f]http://www.giantbomb.com/news/open-world-tomb-raider-reboot-details-leaked/2726/[/spoiler:cefdf5ae7f]
  • If it adds a good open-world and progression system, yet retains the solid platforming, this could be pretty cool.
  • i am interested, i always have been a Tomb raider fanboy
  • Epke said:
    i am interested, i always have been a Tomb raider fanboy

Same here and especially after TR:U and LC:GoL I hope it will be awesome, what am I saying? I am sure, it will be great!
  • 'Tomb Raider' delayed until 2013

Tomb Raider's release is delayed to the first quarter of 2013 after its development studio, Crystal Dynamics, explained that more time is needed to polish the game.
    Posting on the Eidos community forums, the head of Crystal Dynamics, Darrell Gallagher wrote that the game will be delayed by a few months, pushing the release date from Fall 2012 to the first quarter of 2013.
    "When Crystal Dynamics first set out to reboot the Tomb Raider franchise, there were two goals that we were extremely passionate about," Gallagher wrote.
    "The first was to create a modern Tomb Raider game that would surprise and excite gamers. The second was to make this the best game of our careers, something we would be really proud to be a part of. We truly believe that we have something very special on our hands and we can't wait to share it with you.
    "Our priority now is to make sure we fully deliver the very highest quality game. In order to do this, we have decided to move the game's release date by a few months, from Fall 2012 to the first quarter of 2013. We're doing things that are completely new to Tomb Raider in this game and the additional development time will allow us to put the finishing touches into the game and polish it to a level that you deserve. We believe this is the right choice and I guarantee it will be worth the wait. The game is looking amazing and we can't wait to show it to everyone at E3 in a few weeks."

according the verge
  • new trailer looks spiffy!
    [video=youtube;O1h7Ur9nUvI]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week