thread for topics not worth starting its own thread.
  • i think thats enough of the banning things. its really ridiculous banning a drink that is 12% abv when you can buy one that is 90% abv.

or banning putting a toy in a box with a meal
  • I am sick. Not in the head, but ill. Not in the good way, just feeling shitty.

Stuffy nose, sore throat and achy. And it sucks. And I'm going to stop kvetching now.
  • i just saw the first 2 episodes of "the day of the triffids" (the 1981 version)
    [spoiler:410df81c77]and i find it funny how the blind are using and abusing people with sight....i mean come on if that happened, the people that could see would be making the blind people into slaves.[/spoiler:410df81c77]
  • I yust checked my gamespot profile I'm level 13 and the name of the rank is toobin, sounds familiar?
  • i witnessed the great seagull massacre of 2010 today
  • tallchick said:
    [quote=gilligan]i find the theory of infinite smallness much more baffling than infinite space.

what...like the idea that our entire universe could be in a drop of water in another dimension?

If you recognize that things can get infinitely larger, they MUST be able to get infinitely smaller. Theoretically, right?

I don't know. I look at the universe like a giant atom. Things rotating around things in a core, which has more things rotating around things.... and physicists keep finding smaller things inside the atoms. The more I learn about physics (and granted, my level of education here is small) the more likely it is to me that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is dependent on gravity. It's why we stay stuck to Earth, the Earth revolves around the sun, the milky way revolves around the universe's core, etc,etc,etc.... also works in reverse w/ atoms, no? Electrons revolve around atom core, and other stuff revolves around other stuff in the atom's core??

Like I said, I'm no scientist, but like you gilligan, I find this stuff fascinating.[/quote]

The more we begin to understand about our universe, the more we realize how little we actually know. Socrates said "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

As far as this topic goes, I am unable to surmise any theories regarding infinite smallness vs. infinite space. However, it was my understanding that the smallest possible elemental unit is the atom. Then I read that a couple of scientists at Cambridge University successfully split the atom in 1932. So then what did the two parts become?

I've also read that quarks are smaller than atoms, but very little is known about them today. Once these are understood, it will serve to bring forth new questions, and so the cycle continues.
  • My toenails are long but should I clip them.....errrrrrr
  • gilligan said:
    just got back from the roger waters concert (OK it was a few hours ago) and it was absolutely amazing. if you can possibly go even if you have to beg borrow or steal (only steal from people that don't deserve their money) then i say you must see this show....there wont be to many more chances.

So you're a Pink Floyd fan. Nice to meet you :)

You should check out the Pink Floyd Experience. They are a tribute band and I swear, if you close your eyes you can barely tell the difference. They are outstanding and they are still touring.
  • gilligan said:
    i witnessed the great seagull massacre of 2010 today

OK you've got my attention. So tell us the story??? What the hell happened?

Caveat:
    *UNLESS it was you doing the massacring. I DON'T want to know in that case.
  • axl216 said:
    [quote=gilligan]just got back from the roger waters concert (OK it was a few hours ago) and it was absolutely amazing. if you can possibly go even if you have to beg borrow or steal (only steal from people that don't deserve their money) then i say you must see this show....there wont be to many more chances.

You should check out the Pink Floyd Experience. They are a tribute band and I swear, if you close your eyes you can barely tell the difference. They are outstanding and they are still touring.[/quote]
    Yep, im going there next year. He is in Germany over the summer. Just need to decide whether to go to the Hamburg or the Munich concert. Looking forward to it. Who woulda thought I would get the chance to see The Wall live :O

I have also heard that the Australian Pink Floyd are good. I missed their concert over here last summer.

Anyway, Pink Floyd rulz!
  • Plankton said:
    [quote=axl216][quote=gilligan]just got back from the roger waters concert (OK it was a few hours ago) and it was absolutely amazing. if you can possibly go even if you have to beg borrow or steal (only steal from people that don't deserve their money) then i say you must see this show....there wont be to many more chances.

You should check out the Pink Floyd Experience. They are a tribute band and I swear, if you close your eyes you can barely tell the difference. They are outstanding and they are still touring.[/quote]
    Yep, im going there next year. He is in Germany over the summer. Just need to decide whether to go to the Hamburg or the Munich concert. Looking forward to it. Who woulda thought I would get the chance to see The Wall live :O

I have also heard that the Australian Pink Floyd are good. I missed their concert over here last summer.

Anyway, Pink Floyd rulz![/quote]

Haha. Agreed!

I have heard good things about Australian Pink Floyd as well. I haven't seen them but I'll definitely check them out next time they come through.
  • So is there already snow in your countries?
    Here it's like 40 cm of snow so all I can say is,
    let it snow,let it snow,let it snow =)
  • tallchick said:
    [quote=gilligan]i witnessed the great seagull massacre of 2010 today

OK you've got my attention. So tell us the story??? What the hell happened?

Caveat:
    *UNLESS it was you doing the massacring. I DON'T want to know in that case.[/quote]

ok so if i dont answer it looks like im the fucked up guy that feeds alka seltzers to seagulls.

this will be graphic so if you dont like to hear about real life pain go play a game that has virtual pain and suffering.

as i mentioned in the meat eating post i work in a chicken factory.
    we get trucks from different plants consisting of the things unfit for human consumption.
    the section of the plant i work in is in front of the pit. the pit consists of a steel pit that is about 20 feet deep 50 feet wide and 10 feet back from the front and has giant pins on the bottom that are on either side facing sideways and also two pins in the middle that face forward and diagonally upwards.(towards the disintegrators)
    so one of the trucks that came in from Maryland was like any other. we untied the tarp pulled the truck to the pit and dumped the chicken scraps into the pit.
    but this truck wasn't like any other, because as this truck dumped into the pit....along with the 70,000 lbs of chicken came over 20 seagulls that must have found warmth from the wind in the trailer not to mention much food. (the seagulls absolutely love chicken intestines) so while these 20+ seagulls were hanging out in the trailer the truck driver put the tarp over it and drove down to virginia. and now they found themselves in a predicament of what to do in their new surroundings. i counted 6 seagulls that ran out of the building a couple never made it to the pit while the rest jumped out of the pit and headed for the door. that leaves 14+ seagulls that didnt leave the pit.
    oh did i mention that the person that works on the feather side also dumps mdm (the part of the chicken that usually goes into hot dogs) into the pit.
    so as i am watching the seagulls on the right side of the pit i can see one that is trapped to the wings under the chicken. and others that got banged up on their fall from the truck that just couldnt move much. so the feather-man came to the pit with some mdm (a front-loader filled with about 1000 lbs worth) and dumped it in. killing several of the trapped and crippled seagulls.
    when the featherman dumped the DOA's (chickens that got to the plant dead) he tried to avoid the seagulls on the left side of the pit as best he could. but there isnt much room to dump a front-loader filled with dead chickens without hitting a few seagulls that refuse to move from the spot they are in.
    so.......
    the night is done, no more dumping and 8 seagulls remain in the pit. but now it is to late for them you see the pitt has pulled down enough meat that it no longer is high enough for the gulls to jump out of the pit. also being that the gulls wings are covered in fat and chicken guts they are unable to fly out. so they just sit there for a couple hours.
    as i clean up i spray water over the pit getting chicken that splashes up onto the sides of the pit. one seagull dosnt like getting splashed with water and he runs from the left side (full with meat, to the right, no meat at all) he trips between the threads of the pin and gets crushed when he falls into the pins. (a very large turkey can fit between the threads of the pins, to give you an idea of how big the pins are) so now there are 7 seagulls remaining.
    the left side is starting to dry up now also. but for some reason the gulls dont rush to the middle, the just stay on the left side barely standing on the meat that is getting sucked up. the next gull waits to long to jump up and he falls to the pin which crushes him.
    another gull that was right with the last gull to die falls on to the other side of the pin. so the pin cant crush him but it is pushing him towards the bottom center of the pit where the meat is. so the gull jumps over a thread then another but the threads just keep coming and the gull just gets tired of jumping and sits down. as the pin pushes him into the center of the pit where he is never to be seen again.
    one gull had the perfect spot, i almost thought he might have a chance at surviving at least the day. it was a cover to the pin so he just stood on the cover as the pin spun underneath him. but to his sad surprise another truck came in. and as the driver dumped the trailer that gull got pushed off his otherwise safe perch into the pins below. although he was on the safe side he got his wing stuck and flipped over to the side of the pin that was turning downwards, and one of the threads turned downwards onto his back. i had work to do so i went and did it. when i came back 2 gulls had remained at the center of the pit, standing on a steadily shrinking pile of chicken guts. 1 was flopping around on the pin on the left side. one of the things i noticed about this one was that as he was about to be crushed he reached his head over and swallowed a beak full of chicken intestines. i didnt put it together till then, there was 3 of the gulls that acted like the wanted a last meal knowing they would soon be gone. the first i thought was just trying to use its beak to pull himself up but instead got a beak full of chicken. then i remembered another gull did it just before he fell into the pin.
    and this last one took a mouth full just before he was crushed.
    the second to last gull was standing right at the left side and being that there was a truck dumped just a little while ago he had plenty of room on the other side.
    so i sprayed him with water thinking he would run away to the other side.....nope...he ran into the water stream right into the pins on the left side.
    that left one last gull in the pit out of the 20+ and it was the last half hour of the work day. so if the gull stayed cuddled against the back wall where he was i would have never seen what happened but instead he must have been scared by the ground getting sucked up from under him so he jumped onto the center pins that headed upward. he jumped on one and when the meat fell off he jumped onto another thread. then another then another but he eventually got to tired to jump and the pin pulled him up and over to the meat that was being pulled up.
    10 seconds later he popped his head up and looked around but he must have been to dazed to jump away from the pin because in its next rotation it pulled him under for the last time.
  • littlejacob11 said:
    So is there already snow in your countries?

Sadly it hasn't snowed here in Chicago yet, I want a huge downfall when it first snows though, like 2 feet!
  • XxBarretxX said:
    Sadly it hasn't snowed here in Chicago yet, I want a huge downfall when it first snows though, like 2 feet!

Sadly? What are you talking about? Chicago snow is the worst. It turns into sludge in 24 hours, always seeps into your shoes, and it slows traffic to a crawl. Plus, if it snows then I'd have to take the CTA instead of my bike, which adds like an hour to my travel time and costs money AND doesn't help me stay in shape... So I guess I'm counting my blessings.
  • so.... let me get this straight.... there were live seagulls in the mix... and NO ONE did ANYTHING to stop it???? Turn off the machines etc? Crawl in and get them out?

Deplorable. What if that had been a human? Or even a cute little puppy? Those things would've been saved. Instead, several hours passed before all the seagulls died in a greusome manner. That's torture of wildlife and here that kind of thing is HIGHLY fucking illegal.

Nevermind that the food is contaminated now with seagull....

I hope someone who works there reported your company to the authorities.

Not that I want you to get into trouble, gilligan, but... I mean... holy fuck.
  • littlejacob11 said:

Considering we only ever have sleet or at the most a couple of cm's, I'm rather happy we got a 10 1/2 inch snowfall. I'm off school for the next couple of days and I have time to make meringues!

[center:407ec18d87]image[/center:407ec18d87]
  • littlejacob11 said:

Yeah there's nice powdery snow here, about a foot (30 cm, give or take a couple).

The people with snowmobiles are LOVING it. Kinda wish I had a snowmobile for later in the winter when the lake freezes over.

What makes me laugh though, is how a couple inches of snow will completely shut down Vancouver, but everywhere else in Canada it's just another day... even if there's like a foot of snow.
  • Yesterdey the snow reached 1m and there was fog and because of that fog there was the biggest car crash in the history of my country.30 cars crashed in each oder. in those cars were 36 people,3 people died the others were badly injured.
    so a prettey crappy day for Slovenia =(
  • tallchick said:
    so.... let me get this straight.... there were live seagulls in the mix... and NO ONE did ANYTHING to stop it???? Turn off the machines etc? Crawl in and get them out?

Deplorable. What if that had been a human? Or even a cute little puppy? Those things would've been saved. Instead, several hours passed before all the seagulls died in a greusome manner. That's torture of wildlife and here that kind of thing is HIGHLY fucking illegal.

Nevermind that the food is contaminated now with seagull....

I hope someone who works there reported your company to the authorities.

Not that I want you to get into trouble, gilligan, but... I mean... holy fuck.

you got the wrong company, hell im the only one that ever tried to get them out but when you try to pull them off they just move away farther towards the back of the pit.

as for shutting the thing down you might not know how much that effects, 4 boilers 3 grinders 7 or 8 presses. starting those machines aren't like turning on and off a light switch, so if we shut down every time a bird was in the pit, production would be cut in half. the Foreman dosnt want to explain why his production is half of the other shifts so they all just run as usual.

as for the torture part, i feel bad for the birds so dont think i dont. but nobody put them in the trailer or pit, they went in on their own. which leads to the reporting part. nobody and i mean nobody in the place wants the government to get involved with their job.
    especially all the bosses having to watch behind their backs which trickles down to everyone, including the illegal immigrants.

so anyway in conclusion, the next time you buy a bag of premium dog food (yeah thats right we make the chicken for the top dog food makers, makes you wonder what contaminants are going into the cheap dog foods dosnt it) keep in mind when you read the ingredients that there are more animals then the ones listed on the package,

edit: i just reread your post. and one other thing to note is that birds arent as heavy as people. if a person was to step on a pile of chicken intestines, livers and gizzards they would sink like it was quicksand. not sure about anyone else but im not willing to risk my life to save a flightless seagull. i know for a fact that nobody i work with would.
    and the question "what if that had been a human" well rendering plants do have one of the highest rates of workplace injuries but everyone knows not to go near the pit.
  • RichtheChef said:

Jockey spotted at 0:58
  • I'm surprised to discover how much my cat enjoys cheese.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week