Are You Fat? Week #03: Yuzo in the Lead!
  • Week #3!

Tobin's still coasting at his current weight, but I ended up dropping 3.3lbs this week, mostly due to catching Tobin's plague. Definitely seeing some great results from last week's thread, keep up the good work folks!

Post up your stats and include any pics/videos so we can feature 'em on the show.

Yuzo
    Weight: 188lb
    Current: 184lb
    Target: 165lb

Score: (188-184)/(188-165) = 17%

Tobin

Weight: 181
    Current: 182
    Target: 170

Score: (181-182)/(181-170) = -9%

Yw
  • I think its just that Tobin is STILL eating like a pig. Just looks at his twitter: http://twitpic.com/15swb8 :P
  • Target weight - 155lbs

Week #1 weight - 144.2lbs
    Week #2 weight - 142.4lbs
    Week #3 weight - 145.2lbs

Ok, now we're talking and now I have some photos for proof.

If I need to take a better photo of me tell me what to do.
  • Starting weight: 187 lbs.
    Target weight: 160 lbs.
    Last Week: 187 lbs (0% progress)

Current Weight: 183 lbs.

187-160= 27 lbs loss target, 183-160= 23 lbs to go

27-23=4
    4/27*100=14% of goal achieved

Notes
    Speaking of stuffing faces... Portion control in eating took a backseat to a wings, beer & nacho binge Sunday during the gold medal hockey game. I'm still paying for it but hey, it was all part of my effort to cheer on the home team...and it was *so* worth it to see that OT goal!!! Amirite, Canucks? (FWIW, the best hockey I've seen in forever....the Yanks put up a really good fight!).

Looks like my new workout --and the fact that I've finally finished ME2-- might be paying off in general, however. Took a day off from working out today to let muscles recover, but going to get back at 'er tomorrow. I've been doing quite a bit of leg work lately and am feeling it...but in a good way. On the positive end of this workout thing, I have kicked the winter doldrums and am feeling a lot more energetic. Getting more stuff done during the day rather than avoiding outdoors due to weather. All good things.
  • 25 male
    5'6"
    145 ====> 145 week 3 ( same )

Ok so I've included a few different cardio workouts to go along with my running. I've picked up boxing and jump roping recently and am having a lot of fun with them compared to the boring jogging I've been doing. I'm still eating pretty good and lifting weights so my weight hasn't really changed at all. I'm pretty happy with the soreness from lifting, try push ups this week guys.
    param name="movie" value="embed src="
  • OboeCrazy:
    Starting weight: 138
    Target weight: 125

Week 3 weight: 137
    Change: 1 pound

I'll take a pound! I finally got back into exercising a lot more now that I've gotten over the cold. And I'm drinking a ton of water...both because it's good for me and also to help keep me full. While 1 pound is not a lot, if I can manage a pound every week or so then I'm well on my way to my goal!
  • Starting Weight: 220
    Goal: 200

Now: 210 * (I was already trying to lose weight a month before the contest so I've been at it for a while) I'm waiting til I hit my target to post a "before" and "after"... but maybe I should post "before" to embarrass myself...... nope.

Just some tips that I've been using and have helped me (in no particular order):
    -Keep food in your fridge, and make sure it is healthy. This will prevent you from ordering food or eating unhealthy midnight stacks (some good choices are baby carrots, fruit, yogurt, etc.)
    -Carry a water bottle around in your bag, I find that staying hydrated helps kill cravings (Also chewing gum)
    -Try to realize that this isn't a sprint it's a marathon, just keep going steady and you'll get there

EDIT: I did 7, almost 8 pullups at the gym (the ones with palms facing me). My goal is 15, tough but could turn out great.
  • Starting Weight: 280 lbs
    Week2 Weight: 280 lbs
    Week3 Weight: 275 lbs
    Target Weight: 200 lbs

Taken up tennis and golfing again. Golfing is a lot harder than is looks. Tennis doesn't feel like what it used to be. And I'm planning on taking martial arts courses too.

Also planning on putting up some videos, some of the courses I taking for my morning hikes/walks, and my second attempt at the electroshock weight losing belt, and images of my body too.
  • I'm starting now but better sooner than later
    my starting is 230... this is embarassing but whatever.
    my goal is 210 by 3 months
    i'm going to the gym and cardio for 20 min and lift wieghts, i'll go 3 days a week
  • Thank you Mcslimz! The tips are very helpful. I weight 143,3 pounds so I dont reall have a need to loose, but I'm a weak fuck. So weak it's embarassing (my best all time lift ups record is 4). No chest or shoulders, barely any chest muscle. It's bad considering my relatively young age. I will have same problems as you when I grow older, but so far it's push ups for me.

I've been doing push ups and the tips are rather helpful. Doing them this slow is a lot harder! I was able to do 25 now I can go as much as 16. I will implement this in my push-up workout. I haven't been doing this for long, but I will take it more seriously now.

I will be doing 20 push ups slow then repeat it in three cycles. Do this three times a week. If any of you weak fucks want to join me, please do so. I need some encouragment. It's always easier jogging when you dont want to stop before your friend does for example. (I suck at jogging too - I could run two miles, now I could probably barely run one). I might send a video of me doing push ups to show the progress. Depending on how embarassed I feel. Still, it's something. No longer I'll be dumped for a more muscular guy! :D
  • Original Weight: 196lbs
    Target Weight: 168lbs

Last Weeks Weight: 188lbs
    This Weeks Weight: 190Ibs

Up by 2lbs. Not really surprised to be honest, I think the scales were just being polite to me last week saying an 8lb loss. It's only week 2 of proper commitment, I think my body is still getting used to the changes.
  • Starting weight: 228 lbs
    Target weight: 210 lbs

Today's weight: 220 lbs
    % Loss = [ (228 - 220) / (228 - 210) ] * 100 = 44.4%

On an amusing note, my wife sent me this at work yesterday. In case any of you think you need to be ripped, a new survey suggests that women prefer men with a little facial stubble, a geeky personality, and a few extra pounds:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1251929/The-perfect-man-geek-facial-stubble--womens-secret-turn-ons-revealed.html

On a side note, your happiness with your self-image is paramount here. If you feel that you are unhealthy or that being in shape or well toned will make you happier, by all means do it :)

Being happier with yourself leads to confidence in all aspects of your life: work and personal. Make sure you take the time out of the day to do the things that make you happy.

Balance in all aspects of your life, that's my motto.
  • Last week: 135.2 lb
    This week: 134.2 lb

Target: 123.0 lb

Woot woot, still going strong!

(138-134.2)/(138-123)= 25.33% of the way there!
  • Well done guys. It's good to see that people are making progress. I am trying to improve my fitness and fortunately it's going well, noticing improvements.
    At the end of last year I lost around 12 pounds a;ready and I am alright staying on the level I am currently on. So thats why I won't join in on this contest. Just need more muscle ^^.
  • On an amusing note, my wife sent me this at work yesterday. In case any of you think you need to be ripped, a new survey suggests that women prefer men with a little facial stubble, a geeky personality, and a few extra pounds:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1251929/The-perfect-man-geek-facial-stubble--womens-secret-turn-ons-revealed.html

Haha, that's brilliant. :D

Gonna post now so i'm in the right timing for this.

My Current Weight:

[spoiler:666a84a3b8]
    Sex: M
    Height: 5'7ish

Starting Weight: 193+ lbs (Nearly 14 Stone!)
    Last Weeks (Friday) Weight: 189 lbs
    Current Weight: 185 lbs

Final Target: 154 lbs (11 Stone)
    Pounds Left: 31 lbs

Looks like it's going well :) this diet is one of the hardest things i've ever done. [/spoiler:666a84a3b8]

Also, i'll write up exactly what i'm doing. I paid a small fee at my university gym for the personal trainer to write up a plan for me, and it's going well so far. I hope it'll be of some use to someone else too:

Diet

This has to alternate every day. So if you had the porridge for breakfast one day, cycle to the scrambled eggs the next, then omelette, then back to porridge etc.

Breakfast

-Porridge (semi-skimmed milk + 1tsp sugar if you really must)

-Scrambled Eggs (2 eggs, only 1 yolk. Optional wholemeal pitta bread / small amounts of bacon etc (NO FAT!)

-Omelette (Same as scrambled eggs).

Lunch

-Wholegrain Rice & Tuna (in Brine or Spring Water) / Chicken / Turkey / Corned Beef etc.

-Wholemeal Pasta & Tuna (in Brine or Spring Water) / Chicken / Turkey / Corned Beef etc.

Dinner

ANY green vegetables & Tuna (in Brine or Spring Water) / Chicken / Turkey / Corned Beef etc.

Snacks

Two pieces of fruit a day.

Drink

Water. Just water. And lots of it.
    [/spoiler:666a84a3b8]

Exercise

Every other day, visit the gym. The first day is Cardio, then the next is Resistance.

Everything here is what to aim for. It might not be possible to do everything here the first time around.

Remember to warm up before, and stretch before and after!

Cardio

Like the diet, alternate this each time you go.

-Treadmill. A very fast walk for up to an hour.

-Exercise Bike. 30 minutes, whatever you're comfortable with.

-Stepper. 30 minutes, whatever you're comfortable with.

Resistance

Start with the lower body workouts, using light weights, in sets of 2 x 20. In between lower body workouts, do 30 lunges that you hold for ten seconds each. (Hard, I can only do 5 each time :P)

Move onto upper body, again using light weights in sets of 2 x 20. In between these, 20 pushups. (Again, I find these hard. I'm useless at push ups, being a tubby bastard I can only do about 3 inbetween :P)

Finish with a Plank, hold it for 2minutes 30 seconds (Currently doing 1min max).

Remember to stretch before and after!

That's about it. I know it's not very accurate, and I'm not recommending anyone does this, it's just what i'm currently doing, and it seems to be pretty good.

Alright there's a lot there, thanks for reading and I hope it helps. :)

Best of luck everyone!
  • In case any of you think you need to be ripped, a new survey suggests that women prefer men with a little facial stubble, a geeky personality, and a few extra pounds:

And yet another study shows that women prefer big guys for dating and lazy fucks (or whatever you want to call me) for long term relationship. Probably so that they wouldnt run away.

Whatever the case, I'm not interested in marriage yet so I might as well get fitter if just to feel better about myself. None of us will become really fit or become skiny again, get back to their college days physique, but it's about the feel that you're doing something, the feeling that you got the best out of yourself.
  • MidnightSun said:

I've been doing push ups and the tips are rather helpful. Doing them this slow is a lot harder! I was able to do 25 now I can go as much as 16. I will implement this in my push-up workout. I haven't been doing this for long, but I will take it more seriously now.

Cool, be sure to check out the rest of scooby's site/youtube page, he has a ton of helpful info on everything. I'd say just get a cheapo pair of dumb bells and start looking into his other workouts so you can get benefit all muscles. You don't have to go all Arnold with it but having a simple pair of dumb bells can get you pretty far if you keep at it, I'm working on his intermediate workout plan and feel great, I'm not a big guy either but I've never felt this sore ever so I know I'm finally going to get results. I like this old body builder, he is really helpful with good form and practice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961
  • I'll be weighing in later tonight - just had a large breakfast so it'd be stupid to weigh myself right now (mmmmm bacon and eggs). I don't have great hopes for improvement this time through as I didn't lift at all over the past 2 weeks (I broke my knee brace last time in the gym), but I have had a couple soccer classes, 3 handball games, 4 volleyball games and 1 basketball game plus a few visits to the pool to hopefully make up for it.

And while I hate coming in here and posting rebuttals to tips and tricks, every once in a while I have to chime it - Scooby is right, push-ups are great exercises. However, to develop strength, you need to have progressive resistance. What that means is you need to be moving more and more weight each time. Adding reps to an exercise does not do the same as adding weight. That is why bench press is, unfortunately (I say unfortunately because of all the frat boys out there who think it is the ONLY exercise that should be done), more valuable to upper body workouts. If you can only do the bar for sets of 5 in week 1, aim to do the bar +5lbs in week 2. Pushups are hard to add progressive resistance to, and thus are more appropriately assistance exercises - ie, exercises that add additional work to more complete lifts (bench press and overhead press).

Speed of an exercise matters and going slower does usually make an exercise harder. However, the reason it's harder is because your muscles are in tension longer. The problem with this is that once your body adapts to slow work, it's hard to get it to respond efficiently at fast work. If I can push 200lbs in 1 second, then I can also push 200lbs at 2 seconds, 3 seconds, etc... However, if I push 200lbs at 3 seconds, I likely won't be able to do so in 1 second. When selecting exercises, you need to look at the mechanics and timing of it to decide if that will transfer over to a real-life action. If I need to push someone away from my body, I won't be pushing on a 2-second count. I will be pushing on a 0.5-second count.

Also, please stay away from any and all machines unless you have an injury and it's your only option to rehab. I can't stress this enough. Isolation exercises CAUSE injuries. If you look at the physiology of your muscles and joints, you will understand that the human body evolved in such a fashion that all the muscles around a joint are supposed to work together and thus strengthen in a complementary fashion. Hamstrings are not meant to work separately from quads. Muscle imbalances arise when someone works muscle groups independant of each other and then, playing sports or doing some random everyday thing, the one over-developed muscle out-does the weaker muscle and something tears, pulls, rips, tweaks, etc...

Anyways, gonna stop being a Debbie-downer for now. Remember, if you need help setting up a program, talking about nutrition or just questions/encouragement, send me a PM. I don't bite. Usually. Unless I'm really hungry.
  • Original Weight: 162

Target Weight: 152

Last weeks weight (two weeks): 158

This week's weight: 158-159

So not much of a difference, I was a little bad this week and ate some unhealthy Mexican food and some Pan Dulces. So yeah, but I still managed to not gain anything. Part of it also was me not getting enough sleep certain days, which doesn't let the muscles build as much as they should, so I'm trying to get around 9-10 hours of sleep, which is what I'm usually comfortable with.

There are some changes after doing this for three weeks:

[spoiler:dc0333e9a4]

Before starting:

After Three Weeks:

[/spoiler:dc0333e9a4]
  • I want to add some more strength training to my cardio routines I've started to develop. Anyone have links to good progressions that will work all of the right muscles?

Yw
  • mcslimz brought it up here, so Scooby is the man to look at. I like him, his videos doesn't scream "I'm better than you" :P Here's his youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961?blend=1&ob=4
  • Yuzo - try these two: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
    or http://www.simplefit.org/

Use Starting Strength if you have access to barbells. Use simplefit if not. Two very good programs with a lot of information available to help explain and teach if needed.
  • yuzo said:
    I want to add some more strength training to my cardio routines I've started to develop. Anyone have links to good progressions that will work all of the right muscles?

Yw

Beginner's workout plan.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/schedbeginning.htm

Keeping good steady form is key to these simple exercises, he explains this in detail through his videos. He also has some other vids up on how to use assisted variations of these moves, for example using a chair for chin/pull ups will help get more out of your workout.
  • After watching the latest show I decided to use this as a way to make myself think about my fitness again. Back in my first year of uni I did american football and my fitness was at it's highest but over the last few years thats disappeared and I want to get it back!

Just done my weight on the wii fit and it's been 440 days since I last used it, lol impulse buy if ever there was one. Anyway the key points:

Week 1 Start

Male, 23

21.49 BMI

68Kg / 150lbs

Good BMI result but the weight is mainly fat instead of muscle so hopefully maintain this weight/bmi and loose some inches around the waist. As I'm not aiming for a weight change, instead loosing fat and gaining muscle I'll post a pic up tomorrow for a before and after comparison.
  • MidnightSun said:
    [quote]

None of us will become really fit or become skiny again, get back to their college days physique, but it's about the feel that you're doing something, the feeling that you got the best out of yourself.

Ironically I feel far better about myself now than I did in college. I was 175 lbs and weak as hell in college. I am healthier and in better shape now than I ever was in college, so I won't share that sentiment :)

However, that's not to say that I don't need to take care of myself. :oops:
  • Scooby Dooby Doo where are you? Flexing my abs and getting fat people thin! J/K Scooby is a very good referance point, but something about his voice unnerves me. I watched his vids all the same though, he gives good sound advice.

Anyway on topic properly, my weigh-in day is Friday so I'll maybe do a live stream of it, we'll see. Catch the vid and/or my post here in the next day. ;)

PS I find the lose weight ads below this topic amusing, Lose Weight! With Hypnosis awesome stuff lol.
  • Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week