Listener Homework: Next Big Thing on Consoles?
  • Hey all, this week's listener homework is courtesy of quahgg via our voicemail line.

What do you guys think the next big thing to hit consoles will be? Right now the platformer is a bit on the wane, and the FPS is still going strong. Looking at the current trends, will it be a particular genre or gameplay mechanic or style that will take the console world by storm?

Yw
  • FPS and 3rd person shooters are currently the big thing on consoles .
    Personally I think the next fad to hit consoles will be " Action RPG`s "
    That is to say , a large open-ended enviroment , with an RPG system to progress the story and your character
    but with an more direct action oriented battle system , yes Oblivion does come to everybody`s mind.

The reason why I think this is that if you look at what will seem to be the next big system seller hits for the next-generation
    are all games of these types .
    And it only takes one system seller , genre defining game to spawn a whole host of games from that genre to try and
    cash in on the market .
    That , and the fact that these games are easy to pull off on a console control wise .
    Unlike EA`s upcoming attempt of bringing yet another
    RTS to the console world being Command & Conquer 3 .
    The LOTR RTS , after having played the demo on marketplace was a total flop house with using a controller as a surrogate for
    mouse / keyboard input .

RTS could have easily been the next-thing on next-gen consoles tough .
    I still do not see why M$ dosent allow a developer to use mouse/keyboard input for a game .
    So i`m not saying that -every-game should have mouse keyboard input so that you will avoid the FPS problem wich is already there
    seeing as there are keyboard/mouse converters wich are fully programmable ( I should get one :P ) but only have official
    mouse / keyboard support for games that needs em .
    WIch are RTS games damnit .

The Xbox 360 would sell out if M$ were to have Bilzzard sign up for Starcraft 2 as a 1 year X360 exlusive , have mouse + keyboard
    supoprt , Imagine all those lifeless koreans getting X360`s like nuts .
    Starcraft is like the national sport over there .

It would also pull out low budget PC RTS fans to get a console , cause its a single package wich you have around for 5 years before getting the next gen and dont need to worry about upgrading , installing and what not .
    There are like many people out there who for example want to play the upcoming PC RTS supreme commander but just dont have the computer to run large battles decently .
  • I would crap in my pants if Microsoft put out a starcraft 2 with a mouse and keyboard package, that would be like the friggan coolest thing ever. Long live the Dark Templare
  • Next big thing is drop-in co-op games without destroying what you're doing at the moment. It's getting larger, but for the short term, this will be it.
  • I personally think the next 'big' thing will be Spore. But specifically, games with user generated content that automatically show up in your game via an online network, despite the game being a single player game.

Spore is also going to shake the totem poles of gaming. If it explodes like the Sims 2 did then we may see other companies trying to emulate spore. They are mixing like 7 genres of gaming into one game. So yeah, cross genre titles with user generated content.
  • Wow, lots of good themes going around that I totally forgot about.

Mouse & Keyboard input

Now this might have a chance, as there are definite examples of this on a few consoles. PS2 and I think Gamecube both had keyboards (no mouse though) to play some of the MMO's that were out at the time. While keyboards are possible (mainly for chat), I think the need for it has been usurped by voice chat. Having a mouse seems like it would have a number of things going against it.. There isn't generally a good mousing surface in your living room -- the couch, or the coffee table hunched over? Still if someone makes a good mouse and keyboard type device that works in the living room, and attaches it to a huge game (like Halo 3), then it'll succeed. Starcraft 2, as mentioned, would be a huge winner..

Co-Operative Play

So far Gears of War has set the trend and Crackdown (while not "drop in") is perpetuating it. Both of us have said that any future game that doesn't include online coop has a black mark against it. We'll have a couple of high profile titles that stress CoOp heavily, namely Army of Two and Kane and Lynch. Ao2 looks pretty badass for some of the interactions you can do (carry your buddies wounded bodies, use tampons to plug bullet holes?!), but K&L looks sorta blah.

User Generated & Procedural content

Yeah, I'm very excited about Spore. If it hits it big enough and people are cool with random and user content providing a majority of the art assets, I could totally see this being the next big trend. We've been getting a taste of it with Mods, but they haven't really ever hit the mainstream except for one case, CounterStrike. Once the build in the functionality to make and share user creations in a good way you'll see this sort of thing go nuts.

Great stuff so far guys, keep it up!
  • I think the next biggest if it was to come out big arrows towards WAS if they made helmets that show where your character is heading so if you see a enemy you can aim your controller (especially with the wii) lock, load and shoot the crap out of your enemy. If they did that wow I would be hooked to shooters.

Kingman
  • I think the next big game thing on:

Computers: Would be FPS-RTS (First-person shooter + Real time strategy = Freakin Sweet)

Console: I personally think that since the blue-ray holds a lot more data then dvd, more games like - Oblivion will become the next big thing. Since Oblivion is huge and stuff on a single dvd imagine a game like it, only expanded 5-10 time bigger. Talk about life destroyers :lol:

Anyways Cya
  • therealfirestarter said:
    I think the next big game thing on:

Computers: Would be FPS-RTS (First-person shooter + Real time strategy = Freakin Sweet)

Console: I personally think that since the blue-ray holds a lot more data then dvd, more games like - Oblivion will become the next big thing. Since Oblivion is huge and stuff on a single dvd imagine a game like it, only expanded 5-10 time bigger. Talk about life destroyers :lol:

Anyways Cya

Ehhhh I really want to post more but most work, yet I have to say this real quick.

I really hope consoles don't go in that direction completely. It's that kind of we have to give them a story, or a single player mode mentality that needs to be lifted. Space is great, but I like Shadowruns idea which is to be JUST an online game. Think like this... how much crap space is wasted on single player mode in games where a good amount of people only play multi-player and vice-versa. There needs to be a split in how games are manufactured for there to be a REAL big design change. Meaning market to the audience, There are many casual gamers that want awesome single player games but see multiplayer as more of an extra. There are harcore gamers that die for the online competitveness. Use a disc for each. Hell, use 4 for all I care! FF7 was 4 when it came out... CD's but still... we didn't care. No online play, but we didn't care. It was well thought out, rivoting and eye candy (for the time). We need that.

I want a DVD full of multi-player goodness and not bundled with some story; which is often lame or horribly written anyways. To further it, I don't see why I need blu-ray in a multiplayer game. If there is a team that can make a game to fill that great... but wow. Figure in with multiplayer that you only need bare minimum mechanics on the DVD you have plenty of room. You need all the art files, the mesh's and maps and what not. You need the level and all information needed stored on it. And you need any executable files as well as coding that may be called upon frequently during gameplay to lessen the server load. Why lessen the server code? Because things like spawning of monsters and interactive enviroments and ambience should all be on the server as well as a database of any needed player stats/inventory/achievements. This would easily make enough room for the a truly awesome game. Wow is a perfect example. Now just imagne the quests being gone, no need for leveling up, relatively the same trade skill system or one mimicing it very closely. What you would have is a game that would be almost completely player contributed. You could have houses, cars, and whatever else you wanted in there that could all be owned by players. Every house could be destructible, but that would really take away from the size unless you had blu-ray... but thats some years away and completely straying from my point. You could have alot of interactive enviroments, buildings that were scarred from battle or even demolished just by adding a lifebar with mucho HP and damage reduction. That way say a player weilding a normal knife would be able to take down a building because it would have damage reduct.

Essentially you could take away the PVE of multiplayer, and save space of those annoying critters running around aimless. The occasional animal for flair and simple X-factor would work, no need for hordes of useless weenies getting in the way. So I guess that means we could just throw in some more plants and buildings that could be blown to hell... or more items. To replace leveling, simply add tons of items. you stop wasting time on lines of codes dictacting rules to make sure the classes and races and all that other jazz start using that time putting tens of thousands useable weapons. Essentially they all say the same thing in computer talk. This is a ranged weapon/melee weapon, it has a range of this many pixels or in game feet, it does this much damage, it has a rate of fire = x. Throw some art on it and... poof you have an arsenal.

I really don't see why this is improbable and not available atm. WoW does it, EQ2 does it, Starwars Galaxies did it. They just focused on coding things to make it painfully slow and boring to take our hard earned money more effeciently. What they haven't quite figured out is that if you have a rotation of 50,000 weapons, great abilites/powers, and an interactive enviroment that has things happen even if only temporarily (i.e the blown up building respawns but only say after a week in real time) they wouldn't need to do that. What aggravates me is I know it can be done. I have seen how coding works, I have seen how games are developed, they just aren't doing it.

On the flip side I would be just as okay to have an epic size game for single player/co-op online but not massively. I don't need every game to be some huge immersive PVP place. Just don't give me a damn disc with both. Give me 2 discs if you want to do that one for each.

Grrrr dam work... I will be back to talk about more of this stuff.
  • I really really have to disagree with you on the MMOFPS idea. Perhaps it has just been poorly executed thus far but looking back on the titles reminds me of the smell of garbage. The only title that was even close to worthwile was neocron...a game who's downfall was attempting to implement too many cool ideas. Their original concept of a living economy where players could create shops within the game's city and even a stock market made it sound interesting. Plus, I believe the original concept was released shortly after I had played Deus Ex which is the absolute golden standard for comparing FPSRPG games.

The only game I believe that is coming out in the future is Huxley by NCSoft. Only problem is it's NCSoft. Yeah they made Guild Wars which became boring after a month of play and Dungeon Runners which is pretty funny, but they still don't have lasting gameplay.

P.S.- Let's not forget how terrible planetside was.
  • 2 words: dating sims
  • Personally, I think that it's exactly what Tobin said in this weeks episode.
  • Digital distribution of games instead of going to the store to buy a plasic disk, and popping it into the disk drive.
  • Apart from he game aspect of where gaming is going, I believe the next big step in gaming in geneal, will be a more globaly available satelite internet or firewire connection with much faster download and ping rate than are currently available on say DSL or Broadband. I mean look at the differance between what we used to have with a 56k modem a few years ago, and the speeds a person can get with dsl or broadband cable or a tT1 connection.

YES or No what do u think?
  • silverbullet1080 said:
    Digital distribution of games instead of going to the store to buy a plasic disk, and popping it into the disk drive.

I think that's definitely true, and for a different reason than you might think.

If I go to a store and buy a game, I can resell it to someone else.

If I get a digital copy, I'm not able to sell it to anyone.

Which would you prefer if you were a game company?
  • tobin said:
    [quote=silverbullet1080]Digital distribution of games instead of going to the store to buy a plasic disk, and popping it into the disk drive.

I think that's definitely true, and for a different reason than you might think.

Which would you prefer if you were a game company?[/quote]

I hope this happens to, I am lazy and I believe in capitalism so I am all for it; ESPECIALLY when I intend to make that industry my career.

Unfortunately, unless they do a firmware on the sly it will still be able to get sold one way or another.
  • I think the next big thing will be third person MMORPG like war of warcraft but no monthly fee. thats just what im "hoping". lol
  • quahgg said:
    [quote=tobin][quote=silverbullet1080]Digital distribution of games instead of going to the store to buy a plasic disk, and popping it into the disk drive.

Which would you prefer if you were a game company?[/quote]

I hope this happens to, I am lazy and I believe in capitalism so I am all for it; ESPECIALLY when I intend to make that industry my career.

Unfortunately, unless they do a firmware on the sly it will still be able to get sold one way or another.[/quote]

I'm not sure that's true.

I mean, people have had years to crack Steam, but there's still no way for me to "sell" you my copy of Half Life 2 that I downloaded. You can go and steal a copy online, but users are still completely unable to transfer or sell digital content from Steam. It's a great example of the "new model".
  • I'm not a huge fan of digital distribution, either. Besides the resale problem mentioned above, it's got other drawbacks:
    * I can't take a game over to a friend's house or let him borrow it
    * If I get a new piece of hardware, with a game I physically purchased I can just put it in there and it will work. No need to deal with transferring it, getting new rights, worrying if the company that sold it is still in business, etc.
    * I like being able to look at a shelf and pick something out.

I've got the same issues with music and movies, too. I still download a lot of music, but I vastly prefer going to a good music store, flipping through the albums, and taking home something physical. I'm a fan of the tangible.[/list]
  • The more I think about it, the most digital distribution is the next big thing for games. It's a success on a smaller level with XBLA, and is getting larger with the PS3 download service (though its not really flying, but not cos it's a bad idea, just a bad console) and will only expand. I predict B&M stores will fall further in the next ten years, and probably not be economically feasible after those ten years.

But yknow, I thought this was about the next big thing gameplay-wise :)
  • Sunflower4000 said:

But yknow, I thought this was about the next big thing gameplay-wise :)

Well said. 8)

So last time I wrote I said I would like to tell you what I thought about the next single player hit gameplay wise. I think the big change there would be in fact changing it to the ideal it's single player. As Yuzo and Tobin have stated they love it and I think alot of people agree that seamless co-op is a big deal. So basically I think I should have stated that rather than talk about single player, I talk about how single player is really nothing more than multi-player by yourself. Basically, taking the meaning of multiplayer and single player idea and turn those into online and offline play.

It would be so awesome if you went over your buddies house to grab him for some activity other than video games and he keeps saying "Dude, just a minute I need to finish this level.". Rather than wait for his sorry ass to die at the boss at the end of the level; you grab a controller and speed things up. There's a million reasons why this HAS to be the next big thing. Changes the way we game. No matter the type of game, it has to be that way, unless the game is specifcally designed for a real reason not to be. The only reason I can think of is that for some reason the game loads differently for one player, but then you could just make it check for more players every level.

I digress... peace.
  • I personally like things like steam in fact steam has saved me a couple of time when I had to reinstall some games and had no idea where the disc or the cdkey or either were. you just login and say download that and depending on the game and you should be up and running in about an hour which is shorter then destroying my whole house to find some jewelcase with a crappy key only to find out it was thrown out during spring cleaning DAMN YOU NEAT FREAKS stop thowing my shit out.

but in gameplay it will be a cross between action and RPG kind of like Oblivion was a game where you develope stats but in realtime in a real world/ fantasy enviroment then add it co-op to the mix. So basicly taking what in most enjoyable out of each genre and combine it into, if done right, could be some of the most enjoyable games ever created.
  • ergh no thank you, i realy dont like the whole digi selling crap. i would much prefere to go to a shop with real money i have earnt and actualy buy a new game with a cool picture on the front which i can actually hold and smile as i walk to the counter give my real money to the lady behind the counter smiled and walk away with the reciept and the game. get home and stare at the lovley colours on the back of the disc. digi seeling..u cant do any of this!

:shock:
  • Batmonkey said:
    I personally like things like steam in fact steam has saved me a couple of time when I had to reinstall some games and had no idea where the disc or the cdkey or either were. you just login and say download that and depending on the game and you should be up and running in about an hour which is shorter then destroying my whole house to find some jewelcase with a crappy key only to find out it was thrown out during spring cleaning DAMN YOU NEAT FREAKS stop thowing my shit out.

That's an excellent point. I do like getting rid of my physical media. It's nice to buy a new PC and just re-download everything from Steam without digging though my piles and piles of crappy old CDs.
  • sir synth said:
    ergh no thank you, i realy dont like the whole digi selling crap. i would much prefere to go to a shop with real money i have earnt and actualy buy a new game with a cool picture on the front which i can actually hold and smile as i walk to the counter give my real money to the lady behind the counter smiled and walk away with the reciept and the game. get home and stare at the lovley colours on the back of the disc. digi seeling..u cant do any of this!

:shock:

Well the good thing about steam is that you can still buy the physical media and just register it with steam so then you have both a digital back up and physical media on hand. If I can find a game on steam in the store I will buy it in the store and be happy because I dont need to worry about that damn Key after i register it the first time within steam. Plus my computer desk is not very big so I dont want media all over the place (the bills are bad enough)

Plus with the online distro method smaller games can get out there to the mass market without a publisher having to invest alot into the distobution only to find out it was not welcomed by the public.
  • It may not be the next big thing in games or so far has not been, but I wonder if a good game will ever come out that uses the Vision cam for the Xbox 360 or eye toy for the ps2, are they even coming out with one of these for the ps3? The eye toy was suppose to be a big next thing and millions were sold but no real good games came out that took advantage of it. Microsoft was quick to put out their own camera and early 360 videos showed some innovative games using it, so far strip UNO is the only one I have heard others talk about. Do you think some game will ever take advantage of this peripheral in a NEXT BIG thing way?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week