Retro Gaming Club: Fallout 2
  • Hey all, it's that time of week again. It's time to break out your dusty old copy of Black Isle's classic tale of post-apocolyptic, role-playing goodness, Fallout 2. It's available at the usual online outlets like Ebay and Amazon, but may also be found in various used game shops.

As usual, post your current progress, thoughts, and commentary here.

Wow, the graphics are pretty.. um.. ancient. No possibility of changing resolutions or quality level -- it's amazing how times have changed. The gameplay is still _very_ solid though -- great turn based action. I put everything to the highest speed and it's much easier and quicker to play than last time.

I just got to Klamath and had some good times with Torr. Picked up most of the stuff in the city and fixed the still.

I think I'll try to either rescue smiley or do the rat king quest next, but I just used up all my ammo killing golden geckos so it's back to the sharpened spear for me. Yay. Dangit, I should've probably learned gecko skinning first!

Fallout 2 really did have one of the best intros, didn't it?

Yw
  • yuzo said:
    Wow, the graphics are pretty.. um.. ancient. No possibility of changing resolutions or quality level

hehehe back in the day , pre-rendered game graphics were for the win :)

So yeah . I am not going to be playing Fallout 2 anytime soon but I was thinking recently back on playing this within the next few months
    as back in the day I never got to finish part 2 , tough I did finish part 1
    Fallout is an excellent RPG , one of the better examples out there combining an awesome story , great art direction
    and a good sense of humors in the form of special encounters .

Anybody interested should be able to find it in some cheapy bin somewhere as its one of those classics of the 90`s ilke Diablo .

For fans of part 1 and 2 after years there is hope !
    Fallout 3 is currently under development by Bethesda Softworks.
    Bethesda stated it will be working on Fallout 3 in July 2004, however principal development did not begin until after The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was completed.
    Bethesda have announced their intention to make Fallout 3 similar to the previous two games, focusing on non-linear gameplay, a good story, and true "Fallout humor". Bethesda has also stated the game will be rated M for mature, and will have the same sort of adult themes, violence, and depravity that are characteristic of the Fallout series.
    It will be the third major game in the Fallout series, which has also spawned two spin-offs, Fallout Tactics, and Brotherhood of Steel.
  • I'll definitely play... will have to wait till the weekend though. I'm up to my knees with tests until then. Damn it, I should be studying now!
  • YAY I started playing about two months ago and stopped. this gives me another reason to continue! :lol:
  • having discussed this game with a friend, i judged this book by it's cover :$ so i'll be tryin to find a 2nd hand copy somewhere asap lol
  • I just started the game, and it's absolutely fucking horrible. Firstly, no tutorial of any kind to let you know what combat will be like? I figured most of it out on my own, and discovered the help screen, which was interesting. There's a lot of shitty gameplay elements in this though. I tried to heal myself 5 times in a row and failed. Can you imagine trying to heal in any other game, and waiting a moment, and it FAILING to revive any HP? This is ridiculous. I died in the fucking temple and I don't see what you people see in this. I'm going to try it again but god damn, this is not very good at the start.
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    I just started the game, and it's absolutely fucking horrible. Firstly, no tutorial of any kind to let you know what combat will be like? I figured most of it out on my own, and discovered the help screen, which was interesting. There's a lot of shitty gameplay elements in this though. I tried to heal myself 5 times in a row and failed. Can you imagine trying to heal in any other game, and waiting a moment, and it FAILING to revive any HP? This is ridiculous. I died in the fucking temple and I don't see what you people see in this. I'm going to try it again but god damn, this is not very good at the start.

You are a lost soul my friend. Fallout was and maybe still is (in my openion) best RPG out there. You just had a bad start.

At least try it again, it is greatness on a level not too many games have ever reached.

Your healing problem, when you gain a level you can take some points in whichever skill you like (Doctor or First Aid would be good for you). The more points you have in one skill the better you are. Ex. The more Small Firearms you have the better you hit and you can shoot longer.

The lack of a tutorial is just the way it is. If you are the boring type, you get a walkthrough on the internet to get you started, if you are an adventurer, you take it as it comes.

You died in the temple ? Well that's not good, it might have been easier if you had tried Fallout 1, but it is a hard game. So save often and take care :)

-Greetings from Denmark - Kaladechi
  • I think Sunflower makes an interesting point with his post though, which is, are all these retro games still good if you don't have a nostalgia factor for them?

There's no question that games have gotten better over time. They've not just improved graphics, but they've honed game mechanics, added complexity, removed painful elements (random battles!) and cleaned up UI to allow more intuitive gameplay.

I think it was Sunflower who made the point that Yuzo and I should try a retro game that neither of us have played to see if we're just doing a lot of navel-gazing with these retro games. I've loved them all, but isn't that maybe because I've already played them and loved them?
  • Sunflower4000 said:
    I just started the game, and it's absolutely fucking horrible. Firstly, no tutorial of any kind to let you know what combat will be like? I figured most of it out on my own, and discovered the help screen, which was interesting. There's a lot of shitty gameplay elements in this though. I tried to heal myself 5 times in a row and failed. Can you imagine trying to heal in any other game, and waiting a moment, and it FAILING to revive any HP? This is ridiculous. I died in the fucking temple and I don't see what you people see in this. I'm going to try it again but god damn, this is not very good at the start.

Yeah, depending on the build that you choose, the temple can actually be kind of a bitch. I picked up a lot of end-game perks and put most of my points in small arms and perception, so I had a really hard time in the temple as well. The way it goes is that you should really pretty much avoid as much combat as you can unless you're decent with melee weapons, so just try and get to the end. Also, don't even bother trying to heal in the beginning, your first aid and doctor skills are so low it's not worth it. You just need to get ahold of healing herbs but those are off to the side of the dungeon which means you need to fight more.

Once you get out you can visit a guy who will heal you and also make medicines from plants that you can pick up. The temple really is the early part of the game and you'll really see what people are talking about once you make it to Klamath. If you want an easier time you should pick either the melee pre built character, or build your own and spend some points in melee and up your strength. It'll be easier in the beginning but maybe a little harder later.

Yw
  • Nostalgia helps games but doesn't define them, for example LoZ: Ocarina of Time is a game that everybody likes and says its a classic, but people don't say that because the game had shiny new grafics or because you could ride a horse and had day/night transition, they say it because the game is execellent, because everybody finished it (except me) and loved it.

How ever not all games that are affectd by nostalgia are necessarily good , for example people say that FF7 is the best FF ever, but i played it recently (i hadn't played it before) and i think its a awful game, it has a bizzare confusing story, which isn't a problem for games like GoW because nobody cares why are you shoting the alien you are just happy to be shoting, but is a crucial point for a RPG, the game had a confusing story i got to the beggining of CD 2 and all i knew is that: 1. Cloud has memory problems and headaches. 2. Sephiroth is a bad crazy megalomaniac. 3. Aeris is dead. 4. Tifa has big boobs. And that was it, while in FF8 you had a much more likable cast of characters, a defined goal (defeat the sorceress), a understandable story, and a big cliffhanger at the end of CD1, but everybody was amazed with FF7 because "Wow, now we have 3d stuff".

Ps: people may think im crazy but i like random battles and i play through every single one of them, they build my level and that way i don't have to spend a lotta time leveling every time a boss comes along, that why FF8 was easy i played every battle and beat every boss without any difficulty( of course it didn't matter because my cd 4 was bugged and i didn't finished the game, same thing happened with my FF9, at that point i just looked up and sai " What did i ever done to you God to deserve this", but that's another story.
  • Started playing yesterday and have gotten to the 2:nd town. I'm trying to get a gun at the moment.
  • Is this legal? I'll borrow my friend's cd instead.

Gonna play later today.
  • Fallout 2 was released such a long time ago that you can't really buy it anywhere so I posted the download links for people who don't have friends they can burrow the game from.
  • Hey all, be cool and don't post links to copyrighted software like Kenkaze did. Don't want to get our site shut down ya know?
  • That's how I was hoping you would react.

Anyway. The dog quest in the first village. Is there any way to fly over the trees?
    Can I keep the dog? I mean a loading screen shows a dude with a gun and a dog.

I loved the way my chick totally owned the unarmed-fight dude. ''I don't wanna hurt
    you and you don't wanna hurt me, let's do this the easy way, ok?'' ''Ok, you can pass''.

Should I continue with the smooth talking, guy owning nice piece of ass or make a more
    action based character.
  • Eazyrider said:
    Should I continue with the smooth talking, guy owning nice piece of ass or make a more
    action based character.

There's a _really_ good character creation guide in the beginning of this walkthrough:

http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout2.html

It tells you which skills are useful and which are plain junk. Of course, sometimes it's fun to play with a totally gimped or brain dead character, though that's more fun the second time around.

don't peek ahead and ruin the game though :)

Yw
  • The beginning of the game is easily the hardest part of the game (wow that made no sense) for some people. For example if you start of with your rogue or speaker class instead of brute the temple will be a pain in the ass.
  • One thing I always found slightly annoying was the bias in creating a character. The female characters are better because they can sleep with more people to get more cool stuff. The developers havn't completely avoided man on man action, but seem to have taken every opportunity to allow the female character to get it on for a few extra $.

Now a lot of gamers like to play female characters anyway :roll: but is this a tendency that should be rewarded?
  • So nobody knows of a place to obtain it via digital distribution? I've wanted to play this game for a REALLY long time, but have never been able to find it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week