Request - Sports and Healthy Living Forum!
  • [center:46f2807f81]Greetings![/center:46f2807f81]

Hello everyone, Fuzzy here, and after long debate and consideration, I feel that it's time that the Noobtoob Community gathers together to request a Sports and Healthy Living board to fit in our General topics section. In this topic, I will outline some core reasons why this community would benefit from a Sports and Healthy Living board, what the board will be used for, as well the simple reason of why we should have a board. Lets get to it.

[center:46f2807f81]What is Sports and Healthy Living?[/center:46f2807f81]

Like many will say, Sports alone on a gaming forum may not carry much weight in discussion, but there is a large portion of our community who follows sporting teams, and even today, we had an entire IRC full of people discussing the exciting events of the NFL playoffs. Even with today's events, sports has been an active IRC discussion for many months on a regular basis.

The fact that the IRC is limited to those who are around often and for many users who dont have the time or ability to sit in a chatroom all day, they have no ability to participate in a good awesome sports discussion. This board will be open to all users and will be a place for them to discuss anything they can think of relating to sports and healthy life activity. Sports and Healthy Living will be a haven for users to discuss sports of all varieties and types imaginable and the Healthy Living element will allow users to address the world's recent emphasis on dieting and leading healthier lives. Often times, sports and active fitness go hand in hand, so we are left with Sports and Healthy living to allow us to discuss old, current, and future matters of sports and healthy livings.

So what do you say, sportsfan? Let's give this a shot!

[center:46f2807f81]Why sports? Why is Healthy Living included?[/center:46f2807f81]

Sports is a worldwide event. Every nation has sports, and we have users from almost every continent in the world coming to Noobtoob. Sports can be at an international level, where we can discuss things like the upcoming World Cup events, World Baseball Classic, the Olympics! and more. At a professional level, users can discuss their favorite teams and sports that they follow. European football, the NFL, hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball, Aussie football, hunting sports, curling, and more!

Professional sports arent all either. Collegeiate sports are very popular throughout North America. A fellow Noobtoober's college recently won the national football championship and this user was at the game. Can you name this user?

Let us not forget that in each person, there is an athlete trying to stop us from gaming so much. Many of us have participated in sports at some point during his or her life. We all have experiences in sports. Whether we enjoyed them or hated them, we've all had contact with physical activity in our life.

Did your dad ever yell at an umpire at your Little League game?

What about Healthy Living? Well, sports usually involve some form of physical exertion, which is usually a good thing. In the world we face today, everything is going digital, including our activity. Obesity and fastfood are plagues on society today, and there are national and international efforts to help encourage people to lead healthier lives. A guy like me doesn't now squat about how to get healthy. I drink and eat too much. In Healthy Living, we'll be able to discuss how to get healthy and lead healthy lives.

[center:46f2807f81]What would we post on the board?[/center:46f2807f81]

What to post on a Sports and Healthy Living board? Like any current board we have, updated events will be a large portion of posted content. Sports news and Health and Medical news will be posted here most. There are a lot of other things worth mentioning also;

Let me give you a few examples;
    ~Professional Sports dicussions
    ~Fantasy Football/Baseball/Hockey events
    ~Personal workout plans
    ~Food recipe exhcange
    ~Vegetarian discussions
    ~Hunting and fishing discussions
    ~NFL Football weekly pick challenges
    ~Sharing personal experiences of sports
    ~Odd or unpopular resturants and food discussion (Have you ever tried a pomagranite?)
    ~Sports or health injury discussions, how to overcome or how they dealt with it
    ~WWE Professional Wrestling
    ~Day planning
    ~Olympics!
    ~Illness
    ~Food identification for fast food places (what's healthy? what's not?)
    ~Pets and keeping them healthy and active
    ~Medicine and dietary supliments and how they interact with our lives
    ~Steroids
    ~Weight management video games; do they work?
    ~Alcohol
    ~Off-season professional sports discussions
    ~Resturant/Food reviews
    ~Exercising in a climate that prevents you from going outside
    ~Working long hours at a job; how to get healthy when you're constantly working
    ~Smoking
    ~NCAA Basketball Bracket challenges
    ~UFC/Strikeforce/MMA discussion

Possible commmunity events that we could organize with 3rd party sites or on our own:
    ~NCAA Basketball Bracket Challenge (as mentioned above)
    ~Fantasy Football (which already happens, but is often unorganized, and in Sports - Healthy Living, it would get it's own topic)
    ~NFL Weekly Picks (as mentioned above, users pick the winners of games, whoever picks the most correct games wins the week)
    ~World Cup Bracket challenge picks
    ~Sports video game leagues (a new Madden is coming up in August :wink: )
    ~Workout groups, although we live many miles apart, we can encourage each other by working out and sharing our progress as everyone progreses together
    ~many more

There are more things to think of, but anything related to sports and healthy living can be posted and discussed. Current events will be a huge part of the board. All sorts of recent events have come about like Mark McGuire finally admitting to steroids, or the need for Replay in Major League Baseball, or what about Colt McCoy's last college game?

[center:46f2807f81]Not enough people post about sports on the forums. Won't need a board then, right?[/center:46f2807f81]

People don't post because they don't have a place to post. Although it may be cliche, I firmly believe that If You Create It, People Will Post. Often times we have intense sports and health discussions in the IRC. If we had a place on the forums to post, then users who arent able to be in the IRC during these delightful debates and discussions can post. It is extending the discussion to every user in the community.

Remember, for many of us, Noobtoob is our only forum. It is the only place we post and it's the only place where we socialize on the internet. We are indeed a community centered around gaming, there is no deny that Noobtoob is growing, and we're getting bigger every day. New users are joining us every hour and they bring their own lifestyles, many of which include things like sports and active life styles, not to mention current users lifestyles which include things like sports and healthy living methods. We would like to discuss this part of our lives with each other on the forum where everyone who belongs to the community can discuss, not just those who enjoy the benefits of IRC.

[center:46f2807f81]Why can't my hobby get its own board also?[/center:46f2807f81]

I understand that many feel that this gaming community doesn't need a Sports and Healthy Living board. Just remember that just because you think it's a bad idea, doesn't mean that it is. For many of us, Noobtoob is more than a gaming community, it's our internet community. Everything we do on the internet centers around Noobtoob, our friends, or gaming habbits, advice we recieve, the way we share our lives with each other, it all revolves around Noobtoob. As Noobtoob continues to grow, more peoples lives will be touched by Noobtoob, and this includes special interests, like game, media, and sports discussions.

For some who think this forum needs board like an Anime board, or a Music board, while these are all very understandable requests, and they in fact may become sub-forums some day. On the flip side, these ideas may fit in Media discussion. Please remember that just because you're not interested in Sports or Healthy living doesn't mean that it's a bad thing. For many of us, this will give us a place to profess our passions and ideas and you may even find yourself on the board some day looking up information.

Even if you don't like the idea, give it a chance, you may find yourself liking it in the future. Nothing has ever been accomplished by saying "I don't want to..."

[center:46f2807f81]Who would look over this board or moderate it?[/center:46f2807f81]

As a forum coordinator, I would voluteer myself to become this forum's coordinator or moderator if nobody else is considered. In the end, it is up to the administration, but if they need a forum moderator or coordinator, I will volunteer my assistance if it is needed.

[center:46f2807f81]I like this idea. What can I do to support it?[/center:46f2807f81]

Please please please POST IN THIS TOPIC! Tell moderators and admins of this site that you think this is a good idea. Post reasons why you think this board would benefit the community! Keep this topic active and show everyone why this will be a good idea for this forum.

Please comment below about what you think on this idea.
  • I'm all for it. My only concern is spoilers and people creating threads with titles giving away results. I don't get my NFL until a few days after games are shown in the US, I also make use of the 'new posts' option a lot on the forums. I don't want to not be visiting my favourite gaming site on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday because of potential sports spoilers, essentially something completely irrelevant to the sites main purpose. Same applies to wrestling results. I imagine it's a general concern for all those who don't get to watch a specific sport live.

Obviously this can be overcome if the forum is moderated correctly and posters are clear that spoilers in thread titles aren't acceptable.
  • I would totally love a sports and healthy living board. I think tons of people are interested in sports, so it's not like there wouldn't be enough interest in the board. As a runner myself, I love discussing workouts with other athletes. And looking at the list you've written, there's plenty of ideas to fill the board with. Plus healthy eating and living just kind of goes along with working out, so that would fit in. This would give a home to many topics in the off topic section.

Not to mention, there's a media board, so I feel like a sports and healthy living board would be on the same level as it, as for content and interest in it.
  • Why not just post in Off-Topic? I guess if there was suitable demand for it (obviously the point of this thread is to determine that) then sure, the community should be able to get what it wants. Personally I doubt it would be a forum I'd visit much, but the same can be said for a few forums already. As long as it doesn't open any floodgates leading to people demanding sub-forums on anything and everything like say, "Good Parenting", "Relationship Advice", "Stroke Styles for Serial Wankers" etc etc, I'm good. I'm a man all about non-clutter. This site should stay focused on games for my 2 cents, as it is the single interest that I know I have in common with every single one of you. Any broader conversation doesn't belong here imo.

Sorry if I sound like a wet blanket here. If the majority demand it, then fine I say. BUT unless it's the majority demanding it, then no, we don't need it.

Good luck with the petition regardless tho, Fuzz.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    Why not just post in Off-Topic? I guess if there was suitable demand for it (obviously the point of this thread is to determine that) then sure, the community should be able to get what it wants.

I'm a man all about non-clutter. This site should stay focused on games for my 2 cents, as it is the single interest that I know I have in common with every single one of you. Any broader conversation doesn't belong here imo.

These are the two biggest reasons why it doesn't already exist.

1: We are a gaming community. Everything else truly is in the periphery. It's all still welcome, but that brings us to #2.

2: There is a lack of topics involving this kind of thing residing in Off-Topic or Media Discussion. If there was a demand for it, we'd have OT overflowing with topics that would get moved there. As it is now we'd move over what...5 topics? 10?

I suggest in the meantime while this thread 'gauges interest' in it, if you feel this passionately about it to make some topics. You've made the argument that people feel that those topics aren't wanted and would get buried in Off-Topic, but I see that as the lack of enough people to discuss them.

Usually subforums are a result of too many topics of one kind of subject in an existing forum, and growing to accomodate that - not normally by making a forum and then seeing what appears in it.

Flibble mentioned he is a man about non-clutter. We already have a lot of forums, and keeping clutter down is a priority. Hell, if I had a choice, we'd have Gaming Discussion and then Everything Else, but that's a little too simple. :)

Most large forums have less forums instead of more. Most, not all. We'll see what comes of this topic, and what comes of the topics in Off-Topic and Media that would fall under this forum.
  • While I'm not as extreme about opening up more sections as Sunflower(just 2 sections? That would be nuts!) I currently don't see the need for a Sports/Healthy Living section. I went back to the beginning of December and could only find a handful of threads that would have been posted in a sports section. I do agree with you Fuzzy that its probably a case of if you build it they will come and that if created it would get some use - but is there enough demand to warrant its creation is my biggest question. I'll be reading the replies to this thread carefully and will keep my eyes on off topic to see if there are more sports threads that pop up in the short time.
  • I wholeheartedly support this. I believe that it will be a good idea, seeing as how it's already obvious that things like sports have been talked about on the site before. Having this sub-forum would allow for more concentrated discussions on those topics and more. Not to mention that it could help promote fitness, which is never a bad thing.

I think it would build the community even further, so I'm all for it.
  • I think this is a pretty good idea. This subject pops up from time to time in this community, so obviously people are interested in it, and creating a forum is a great way to get discussions on the subject started. That seems like a bit of a backward way of doing things but I think you need to give them a jump start to get things going. Giving Health it's own section is a great way to get more people talking about it, since it gives people looking for a place to discuss these topics a place to look when they wish to do so. Right now, to discuss anything related to that, one has to make a thread in Off Topic, and hope that people would rather discuss something that matters rather than participate in a single word response thread, or rate someones username.
  • I am also tentative on this subject. I wouldn't mind a sports section to the forum, but that is not the main purpose of the site. I can see that NoobToob has grown into a very tight niche community so I can see wanting to talk to all your friends about activities such as this. I would probably post if I found something to peak my interest but I believe the reason why we talk about it in the IRC is because it is something that is very timely. When people talk about sports they normally want instant satisfaction and discussion. Furthermore, many of these threads would probably be left unpopulated in a matter of days.

I do believe that their are enough people on the forums interested about sports, but an entire section would be a bit overkill. I would very much like to see it and see if it could work, but I think it would be a lot of waste. But, if the community is for it, so am I and I'd post with much vigor about my NJ Devils. Good luck Fuzzy, and excellent post, it is quite compelling.
  • I don't see any room for this on the boards. We're a gaming community, and everything else should go in Off-Topic Discussion.

To be honest sex gets brought up on the boards more than sports does, and it's a worldwide hobby...everyone has sex...so can we have a "Sex and Masturbation" forum? :p
  • Veri7as said:
    We're a gaming community

I'd like to think that we're a varied community united by gaming.
  • I don't think its needed, I started making a list of points I wanted to make after reading your post. But it appears that those that are leaning against the idea, have already made them for me.

BUT I can see a huge positive. In that NoobToob has a great community behind it. I used to belong to a few forums which I stopped going to due to the nature of most forums on the internet.. filled with trolls and flame bait even from so called forum moderators.

The idea of taking part in a discussion on sports I currently don't have an outlet for, in the community atmosphere of NoobToob would be great. Especially as I'm Australian and few people here take American football seriously, a sport I LOVE!

But I don't believe its necessary to have its own section, off-topic should do unless it starts to fill with a lot of quality sports related discussion proving that it needs its own section.

I understand the idea of build it and they will come, but it will inevitably open the flood gates. Heaps of people wanting their own sub-forum and using this as a precedent. A sub-forum without proving the need.

Just my 2 cents, an I wish you the best with garnering interest in discussing sports on NoobToob.
  • Maxim said:
    [quote=Veri7as]We're a gaming community

I'd like to think that we're a varied community united by gaming.[/quote]

That's the same thing i just said. A community united by gaming, is a gaming community.
  • As Sun mentioned, the best way we gauge the support or need for a new board is the popularity and number of threads that we see in off-topic or other boards. This is how we've broken out Help, Media, and a number of other boards. Even those being relatively general topics they still get nowhere near the number of threads/posts/visits as Gaming Discussion and Gaming Culture get.

We had similar calls for a "for sale" board, but after a couple of weeks of being live the board got maybe 2-3 threads so we scrapped it. Now our general method is to wait until there is a need for a new sub-board instead of trying to create random boards to see if a need will arise.

The last time we created a new board was Introductions, and let me tell you, there was a _lot_ of debate on the mod board about that one. Finally we opened it as an experiment and it really clicked so it stayed. The point I'd make about this one is that we constantly got random introduction threads scattered around the board, and our "introduce yourself" sticky was always getting new responses.

So yeah, we've found that the ol' "If you build it they will come" doesn't really work from past experience.

Yw
  • Veri7as said:
    [quote=Maxim][quote=Veri7as]We're a gaming community

That's the same thing i just said. A community united by gaming, is a gaming community.[/quote]

My point was that, while gaming is what brought us here, now that we are here, we don't need to limit the scope of the forums to just that. True we have an Off Topic and Media section, but sometimes those two banners can be a bit broad for a thread to feel properly placed under. It's like how writing an essay with a pre-determined subject is a lot easier than just being told to write an essay and 'good luck'. If we specialized the forum, there would be more discussion of each of the different subjects. While the new section wouldn't be as used as Off Topic as a whole, there would be more posts about Health and Fitness in that section than if we just left it to Off Topic.

yuzo said:
    So yeah, we've found that the ol' "If you build it they will come" doesn't really work from past experience.

They've already come, and they're already here. Now it's just a matter of 'If you label it, they'll have somewhere to go rather than simply hoping to strike up a conversation about their chosen subject whilst in an area meant for conversations without any real preference to subject."
  • Maxim said:
    [quote=Veri7as][quote=Maxim][quote=Veri7as]We're a gaming community

That's the same thing i just said. A community united by gaming, is a gaming community.[/quote]

My point was that, while gaming is what brought us here, now that we are here, we don't need to limit the scope of the forums to just that. True we have an Off Topic and Media section, but sometimes those two banners can be a bit broad for a thread to feel properly placed under. It's like how writing an essay with a pre-determined subject is a lot easier than just being told to write an essay and 'good luck'. If we specialized the forum, there would be more discussion of each of the different subjects. While the new section wouldn't be as used as Off Topic as a whole, there would be more posts about Health and Fitness in that section than if we just left it to Off Topic.[/quote]

But if there was that much of a demand for it, Off-Topic Discussion would be flooded with sports topics, which it's not. You have to go to the 3rd page of Off-Topic Discussion to find the 1st sports thread, and it only has 70 views and 1 reply. So if we had a separate forum for it you're saying it would make for more discussion? Highly doubtful.

Also, the amount to threads about sex quadruple the amount of sports threads on the first 3 pages of Off-Topic Discussion...so how about that "Sex and Masturbation" forum? :roll:
  • Veri7as said:
    ...so how about that "Sex and Masturbation" forum?

Somebody make it so! :D
  • I cant say it would be my thing, i play sports for fun, but i dont follow any team, its too much work, and there all way overpaid. I Guess giving people the oppertunity to talk wouldnt hurt, iv seen people chatting about it on IRC (at lease i think thats what they were talking about) and i suppose Wrestling could be put in that group aswell? (not a sport? unsure..)

I think we'd benifit from a TRADE/SELL Subboard, Properly moderated, and within this trusted community i think that could do well :)
  • I'm seeing a lot of posts stating that there is no demand for this board and that Off Topic would suffice for this request.

My response to that is that Off Topic tends to be a fragment and infrequently visited board. It brings together a cluster of topics and it tends to disolve any trends or general build. New topics and ideas get made in the forum and any idication that there is a sports discution is quickly forgotten since many users tend to not post past the first page of listed topics. Although you say "Go make topics in Off Topic to show you have a demand." The fact is that it's been done and the topics have recieved a lot of posts, but they've often been pushed down and forgotten by others.

To us, it's like trying to organize a politcal rally at a shopping mall. People are there to shop, and lots of people are interested in politics, but they're still probably there to shop first, so it'll be a lesser-priority for them to pay attention.

One last point, which stems from the previous, has to do with the fragmentation of Off Topic. When I hear a sports story, I want to get the best chance of discussion and response, so where do I go? The IRC. Anyone who goes to the IRC knows that sports and life discussion is a very trending topic every day. Myself and other choose not to post in off topic because we've built a sense that the best response is given in the IRC because we don't have a place to post to get a better response. We're looking to give more activity to the forums by adding this sub-forum and allow non-IRC users to be able to participate in sports and activity discussion.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Keep the comments coming!
  • If we created this, I think you're opening up the flood gates to all sorts of requests. I haven't really seen a high number of threads on this subject that make it necessary for its own section. You seem to get the discussion on the subject in the IRC, so it seems like it's also unnecessary in that respect.

I bet I could find more Politics/Current Events related threads than Sports and Healthy Living related, so I could request a new forum for Politics and Current Events. GoodEnough could moderate it. :)

Although you argue that by creating this new section you will encourage discussion on the subject, we could use that logic to create a new section on all sorts of subjects. As Sunflower said, a new section should be created only if the demand is there, and not the other way round, where you are trying to encourage discussion on the subject by creating a new section.
  • We have a Media forum so why not a Sports forum? I'd be happy to see this board made and give it a month or two. If it proves to not be popular than axe it.

Maybe we could expand the Media forum to something "Entertainment and Sports".
  • All good arguments so far, and I also like the idea of merging at least some of the sports talk into media and maybe just change the overall description a bit. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure there have been quite a few stickied sports topics there already talking about stuff like NFL, etc.

As for general trending topics like "buy/sell", "healthy living", etc, it's not really workable from a moderation standpoint. Everyone has their own pet subject that they're fired up about, and if we created sub-boards for them all we'd have a ton of dead spaces like a bunch of other forums I've seen. Some of the most vibrant communities have very few boards (think neogaf with two: gaming discussion and non-gaming discussion) -- this helps to concentrate traffic, eyeballs, and really goes a long way towards improving communication between members.

Think of adding more sub-boards as adding "friction" to everyone's viewing experiences. We have stats that show that most visitors don't go through every sub-board when they come to the site. They maybe hop into 2-3 and then they're done. If we segment the threads into say 20 sub-boards where each one gets 10 new threads a day, then most folks may only click through 2 boards and just see 20 new threads to comment on.

Sorry if this is unclear but we have a lot of data that shows that having fewer sub-boards with more new threads has a lot more activity than lots of sub-boards with less new threads.

Yw
  • wtrswoopes said:
    Maybe we could expand the Media forum to something "Entertainment and Sports".

yuzo said:
    ... I also like the idea of merging at least some of the sports talk into media and maybe just change the overall description a bit.

+1

Fuzzy said:
    ....Off Topic tends to be a fragment and infrequently visited board. It brings together a cluster of topics and it tends to disolve any trends or general build. New topics and ideas get made in the forum and any idication that there is a sports discution is quickly forgotten since many users tend to not post past the first page of listed topics. Although you say "Go make topics in Off Topic to show you have a demand." The fact is that it's been done and the topics have recieved a lot of posts, but they've often been pushed down and forgotten by others.

Yeah, that's a tough one. I very rarely look in Off-Topic myself to be honest.

As for IRC, unfortunately I don't think most people know what IRC is, or how it works. An most of all its not persistent. I'd love to get more people on IRC tho.

I also agree with yuzo on the risks of having too many sub-boards but I think that comes with making too many sub-categories of what could and should be under one banner. e.g. if Gaming Discussion had sections for FPS, RPG, RTS...

If you only come here for your gaming related fix you're probably going to ignore the General section all together. Just like for the longest time I ignored the Content section before realizing unlike other forums this place actually has a few community members capable of making great UGC and writing reviews worth reading.

So I don't think you're at much of a risk of diluting the forums as long as the main video gaming related sections are left simple like they are an not every idea for a sub-board is approved. If you want a sex related board perhaps you should take that elsewhere.

I also think design goes a long way into making people explore and not feel confused as where to go / post. Having different colours (I'm Australian I'm spelling it correctly, go away! :P) making the main sections stand out and additional spacing between the general section and the rest, keeping the sites focus while acknowledging gaming is not all we are and do.

Allowing for some great conversation without feeling lost or shifting focus while allowing the community to grow and not feel that only video games are discussed here, we're not freaks, creating a more inviting / approachable feel to those that wouldn't describe themselves as "hardcore".

I can see the potential in some items discussed. I just don't think making another sub-board is the best Idea, the merge and rename of "Media" sounds like a great idea to me. I think this idea keeps the number of sub-boards down as seems to be the policy of the powers that be while still creating an outlet for some of the things you raised.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week