noobtoob book club suggestion
  • Theres been some talk here about life's fundamental questions, and what happens after you die. And as you all seem interested, and pretty bright, i'm sugesting this book:

    the never ending days of being dead, by marcus chown.


    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/fundamentals/mg19325902.400-the-neverending-days-of-being-dead-by-marcus-chown.html
    image
    Shot at 2007-07-30
    it's a book on the advanced scientific theorization which scientists are delving through to answer some of the greatest questions on the universe, and it is very enlightening. I personaly enjoyed the book very much, and it has iluminated much of what i see around me.
    be warned though, it is pretty advanced, and quite mathsy at times, it also presents some quite fuck-with-your-brain concepts now and again. All in all a change your perspective read that i found very interesting, and would recomend for the bookclub.

    think about reading it!
    Nick
  • Well, the noobtoob book club was meant to introduce books that not necessarily focused on games but other things like gaming culture. Does this book include anything on gaming? (Not saying this is not worth a read)
  • CarpeDeezNutz said:
    Well, the noobtoob book club was meant to introduce books that not necessarily focused on games but other things like gaming culture. Does this book include anything on gaming? (Not saying this is not worth a read)


    ur right at least let the book be related to games

    NO HARRY POTTER BOOKS
  • *Cough* Consider Phlebas *Cough*

    image
  • Heh, thanks for the suggestions, but I think we'd like to keep the book somewhat game related. You can find all sorts of book recommendations all sorts of places, but rarely (if ever) do you see gaming books recommended.

    At the moment I'm thinking either "The Xbox 360 Uncloaked" or "The Ultimate History of Video Games" or "Power Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World a Second Life". But it'll take some time to get Tobin caught up with one of them so it'll be a few weeks/months..

    Yw
  • I think it would be more beneficial to a book club to have gaming/gaming culture related novels instead of historical accounts or documentaries. The occasional book of that type would be nice (as was the case with Everything Bad is Good for You) but I don't think they would invoke as much discussion.

    Don't you think we should round up nominees and have a poll regarding the book club books?
  • Omega2k3 said:
    I think it would be more beneficial to a book club to have gaming/gaming culture related novels instead of historical accounts or documentaries. The occasional book of that type would be nice (as was the case with Everything Bad is Good for You) but I don't think they would invoke as much discussion.


    I dunno, I'm not really interested in reading too many books based in the Halo universe or WoW novels. I don't think Tobin is either. As for invoking discussion, it seems to me that having a more general historical or cultural book would generate more talk then a Splinter Cell book.

    But hey, don't let us stop you. Feel free to start up parallel book clubs and if they get enough attention and discussion, we'll be sure to mention them on the show. I won't guarantee we'll participate, but we definitely want encourage that sort of activity.

    Yw
  • Well, novels in general don't have to have a franchised theme. There are many novels that deal with gaming culture or gaming without being written in the style of a documentary. I'm more interested in a novel that inspired a game, rather than a game novel. I really don't think you'll get meaningful discussion out of an in-depth look at the making of a console, etc. as you would get with a fully fledged work of fiction. Am I conveying my idea well enough, now?
  • well, i just think i'll mention another;

    Jpod, it's a realy good book about people working in the gaming industry, it has a lot of freakish stuff hapening, but it still rox, is that more gaming for you!


    well, look it up maybe;

    http://www.jpod.info/
  • Omega2k3 said:
    Well, novels in general don't have to have a franchised theme. There are many novels that deal with gaming culture or gaming without being written in the style of a documentary. I'm more interested in a novel that inspired a game, rather than a game novel. I really don't think you'll get meaningful discussion out of an in-deapth look at the making of a console, etc. as you would get with a fully fledged work of fiction. Am I conveying my idea well enough, now?


    Sort of. While I still disagree with your opinion about which will generate more discussion, I personally want to avoid covering books that aren't specifically about games. Novels that inspire games are still just novels, and there are other venues that promote those.

    Really, the best way to convince me is to start up a thread, pick a book (or hold a vote to pick one), and then get everyone excited to read about it. You'll find that it's a lot more work than you think, and will hopefully understand our reluctance to do that sort of things for books we're not personally excited about. But if it gets the community rallying around a book that you like, or exposed to an amazing book that they wouldn't otherwise be exposed to, then that's awesome.

    If the book you end up picking looks interesting, then I'll definitely read it too and participate. Honestly, I'd rather empower you guys to do cool stuff than argue about what sort of things Tobin or I _should_ be doing.

    Yw

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week