Noobtoob's Greatest Games of All Time Results!
  • There just aren't as many people that want to reminisce. When I made the list I wrote exactly why each game is on there. I didn't put the list because of most time played or graphics. Every game on there had some form of emotional attachment. I don't really get that anymore with the current generation of games. Yeah sure, they are fun, but there is just a little something lacking in my opinion.

I can feel a lot of Sunflower's anger towards some of the shit that made the list. What do you expect when you pole more than 10 individuals, of course the data is going to skew in some manner as to just sheer popular games. As long as those people that voted for (insert generic game here) had some type of memorable experience with that game, you can't blame them for putting it on their list.

After that said, Ocarina what? I've never played it since I never owned an N64 but no way could it have been better than a Link to the Past. I've seen videos, damn third dimension. Back in my day to get 3D we would have to play Vector Graphics (alright I'm not quite that old but I love Tempest).

Looking down the list there are some excellent games on there that I have played and thoroughly enjoyed. The best thing is the diversity, which is what makes our community our community. Good job everyone, and for those people that didn't make a list, make one and throw it in the thread anyway. Just because your vote doesn't count anymore doesn't mean that the rest of the community, myself included, wouldn't love to read it.
  • One of the best things we have out of this is a project for the Modcast to review all of these games. ALL of them.
  • Sunflower said:
    One of the best things we have out of this is a project for the Modcast to review all of these games. ALL of them.

I will send your ass a copy of Little League Championship Series just so you can feel the goodness. Just make sure you play with someone else, like all SNK games.
  • Dr Gumaer said:
    [quote=Sunflower]One of the best things we have out of this is a project for the Modcast to review all of these games. ALL of them.

I will send your ass a copy of Little League Championship Series just so you can feel the goodness. Just make sure you play with someone else, like all SNK games.[/quote]

But...Little League? Really? I mean...I liked RBI Baseball. Is it on that kind of engine? Baseball Stars, scaled down? I just...Little League?
  • Sunflower said:
    [quote=Kyaizen]Some questionable things on there, but everyone's got their opinions. KOTOR should be #1, but I'll take it.. At least there's 40+ other sane people in the community.

You didn't even vote! Shame on you![/quote]

You LIE sir! I sent my PMs the last day!
  • Kyaizen said:
    [quote=Sunflower][quote=Kyaizen]Some questionable things on there, but everyone's got their opinions. KOTOR should be #1, but I'll take it.. At least there's 40+ other sane people in the community.

You didn't even vote! Shame on you![/quote]

You LIE sir! I sent my PMs the last day![/quote]

Uh, I think you have this mixed up with the Noob's Choice Awards. This is different.
  • This list is automatically fail, as Persona 4 is not #1.

Also, you put Ratchet and Clank 3 up there twice under different names: Ratchet and Clank 3 and Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal--they're the same game!
  • allhailthetv42 said:
    This list is automatically fail, as Persona 4 is not #1.

Also, you put Ratchet and Clank 3 up there twice under different names: Ratchet and Clank 3 and Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal--they're the same game!

Blame the voters! There was SO much confusion for most of them. Ugh, horrible. HORRIBLE.

GAMES, STOP MAKING SUBTITLES WITH NUMBERS.
  • CapnRedChops said:

I think his list proves that we have a young community.

If we ever do this again, it would be interesting to get voters to put down whether they are under 20 years old, 20 - 29 or 30 +, and then we could see how the top tens change with the age difference.

I'm guessing that we'd see three very different top tens if that was the case with only 2 - 3 games on multiple lists.

CRC

P.S. Good work Sunny - noobie for you!

This is why I didn't list my games. There was no point in putting in the effort to explain choices when they would inevitably be looked over. Its analogous to voting for 3rd party candidates in major elections.

Regardless of my cynicism, nice job Mr. Sunflower with the effort. If you integrate some of the Capn's ideas next time, I'd like to participate in something a little more specific.

And fuck Ocarina of Time. I've never understood the appeal. It changed the Zelda franchise completely, and I've never liked it the way I did when I was young.
  • Aristotle007 said:
    This is why I didn't list my games. There was no point in putting in the effort to explain choices when they would inevitably be looked over. Its analogous to voting for 3rd party candidates in major elections.

I guess if we review ALL of the games, yours will be ignored. :(

I wish you had voted.
  • Sunflower said:
    [quote=Aristotle007]This is why I didn't list my games. There was no point in putting in the effort to explain choices when they would inevitably be looked over. Its analogous to voting for 3rd party candidates in major elections.

I guess if we review ALL of the games, yours will be ignored. :(

I wish you had voted.[/quote]

I don't understand what you mean. I probably should have, but the results seem to vindicate my decision.

What do you mean by reviewing ALL of the games? I hope you didn't take my inaction personally. It just seemed that the well thought out posts were largely ignored and contained a lot of games that didn't place.

Edit: And no offense to the community. I've missed you guys the past couple of weeks.
  • Interesting final results, I don't know how surprised to be that none of my personal picks are on there. It's a pity that Sunny's ended up getting so annoyed after he put all the effort in to compile it all. As Tallchick has said, people gave their honest opinions, what more can you want?

As has also been said, I think the journey's been as interesting as the end destination. I certainly feel like I've learnt a lot about some of my fellow NTers. Some of those lists were fantastic reading - Mag's, Dr Gummaer's, CRC's, the Modcast crew's, Dr Flibble's. Good times...
  • Littleg said:
    Interesting final results, I don't know how surprised to be that none of my personal picks are on there. It's a pity that Sunny's ended up getting so annoyed after he put all the effort in to compile it all. As Tallchick has said, people gave their honest opinions, what more can you want?

As has also been said, I think the journey's been as interesting as the end destination. I certainly feel like I've learnt a lot about some of my fellow NTers. Some of those lists were fantastic reading - Mag's, Dr Gummaer's, CRC's, the Modcast crew's, Dr Flibble's. Good times...

I wasn't annoyed, I'm just doing my own private (now public) raging in a close-minded way to try to help get people talking.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if your top games "placed" - also, nobody's posts were ignored. A lot of us went on to vote our own, which is why threads like this exist - we can now discuss it now that the voting itself is done.

And this review thing - I feel it might be good for perhaps the Modcast family and more to work on playing every single one of these games. Beyond the final top ten, I mean EVERY game that got voted into ANYONE'S top ten. Even your top ten, Aristotle...if you had voted (still sad, because I am curious what you'd have posted and I like your taste.)

All in all, it was a fun little thing to do and fun to talk about. My own anger at so many people voting Ocarina might ring true to me, but it isn't THAT big of an issue for me.

...or is it? Hoohahahahahahaha
  • Sunflower said:

And this review thing - I feel it might be good for perhaps the Modcast family and more to work on playing every single one of these games. Beyond the final top ten, I mean EVERY game that got voted into ANYONE'S top ten. Even your top ten, Aristotle...if you had voted (still sad, because I am curious what you'd have posted and I like your taste.)

Well, now I regret it Sunflower. A lot of it had to do with being in grad school and I got a little behind with Noobtoob. If we do it again, I promise to commit next year. If I had more time, I probably would have at least made a list, even if there wasn't a lot of commentary. My school work got so insane there for a few weeks and I became very selective about what I put any time into. In seems that I was too selective in this case, but I suppose its too late. I'll be sure to next time if we do it again.

I got really burned out this semester so I'm taking a break. With some extra time I'm going to try my hand at some UGC in the review section.

In regards to Ocarina of Time, I'm mostly just saddened the earlier games get overlooked. There's a great chasm separating the games before Ocarina and after which Tobin and Yuzo touch on briefly in their Spirit Tracks review. Its just not the same anymore. I'd love to see another Zelda done in the same way as Mega Man 9, but that will never happen with the popularity of the 3D games. :(
  • Aristotle007 said:
    In regards to Ocarina of Time, I'm mostly just saddened the earlier games get overlooked. There's a great chasm separating the games before Ocarina and after which Tobin and Yuzo touch on briefly in their Spirit Tracks review. Its just not the same anymore. I'd love to see another Zelda done in the same way as Mega Man 9, but that will never happen with the popularity of the 3D games. :(

Always those GB games...Oracle of Ages? Tree of...Seasons? What was it?

And Four Swords?
  • Ouch I forgot something....wow theres a few shockers on that list even...thanks. And overall alot of games I love isint on there....oops my fault.
  • As intriguing and delightful it is to see the modcast is actually going to review ALL of these games, I get the feeling that unless you're willing to spend 100's of hours on my list alone you probably won't understand my 1-4. I mean, they've each got 50+ hours(some have well over 80) of gameplay, but unless you make it to the end of them you're definitely going to miss out on a big chunk of what makes these games so special. Though, I'm not saying this to be a dick or unappreciative(I hope I'm not coming off negatively) but I suppose if you like the games like I did you'll be sucked in and the time you spend playing them will go by fast.
  • Littleg said:

Thanks Littleg, means a lot coming from you.

Sunflower said:

Yeah, I'm down for some reviews next year. Figured I should be a bit more involved in the community anyway. We can include them in Locke's 365 reviews in 365 days.
  • Aristotle007 said:

Regardless of my cynicism, nice job Mr. Sunflower with the effort. If you integrate some of the Capn's ideas next time, I'd like to participate in something a little more specific.

And fuck Ocarina of Time. I've never understood the appeal. It changed the Zelda franchise completely, and I've never liked it the way I did when I was young.

While I do agree more games from the snes and genesis era should have been on the list, I think we also need to remember that more people are going to pick games that they truly love and are really fresh in their heads. Then again, you already knew that.

As to your "fuck Ocarina of Time" I must agree. Link to the Past will always be the best in the series, imo. Ocarina was mediocre at best, definately not something that deserves the number 1 game, anywhere.
  • You know, honetly the best thing about this was the reasoning behind it. I read every post that had a paragraph or reason to go with it, it was just nice to see the thought behind some of the choices.

I don't really agree with the top 10 myself, but that's not what was important to me. It's a shame so few people actually told us WHY the games were on the list...actually, if that had been a requirement, I bet all of those "Hey, didn't all those games come out this year?" lists wouldn't exist.
  • McMason said:
    [quote=vowel]
    To that point. I'm not completely sure as I never went through everyones posts on the voting thread. But Final Fantasy 10 was either left out or put down as Final Fantasy 1 (simple typo). It's at 6 points if you want to have a look.
    FF10 is on there, it came in 11th place with 55 points.[/quote]

Ah! n1. I ctrl+f'd my picks including "final fantasy" and it wasn't there lol. Trust it to be the only final fantasy game to be abbreviated on the list hehe.
  • All those current gen games up at the top of the list, on top of the ridiculous landslide of votes for Ocarina of Time is the very reason I didn't even bother listing mine. A majority of my games would have been near the bottom of the list.

My only regret for not listing my top ten is that the Modcast won't be reviewing some of my favorites, but I just lacked the motivation to list and give reasons for my games when I knew games like Call of Duty, Rock Band, Kingdom Hearts, and so on would have just topped them regardless.

I mean c'mon guys, where's the diversity? Not a single game from the 16-bit era in the top ten!
  • Dr Gumaer said:
    [quote=Littleg]As has also been said, I think the journey's been as interesting as the end destination. I certainly feel like I've learnt a lot about some of my fellow NTers. Some of those lists were fantastic reading - Mag's, Dr Gummaer's, CRC's, the Modcast crew's, Dr Flibble's. Good times...

Thanks Littleg, means a lot coming from you.
    [/quote]

Yeah, seconded.

I think it might be fun to give a 'shout out' to top tens we enjoyed - I liked Saighdear's, among others.

CRC
  • SnakeX said:
    All those current gen games up at the top of the list, on top of the ridiculous landslide of votes for Ocarina of Time is the very reason I didn't even bother listing mine. A majority of my games would have been near the bottom of the list.

My only regret for not listing my top ten is that the Modcast won't be reviewing some of my favorites, but I just lacked the motivation to list and give reasons for my games when I knew games like Call of Duty, Rock Band, Kingdom Hearts, and so on would have just topped them regardless.

I mean c'mon guys, where's the diversity? Not a single game from the 16-bit era in the top ten!

Maybe if people like you had voted (you're not the first with that 'excuse' that it wouldn't matter) we would have had a 16-bit game in the top ten. THIS IS YOUR FAULT.
  • Do it again next year and I bet at least half of those top 10 wont be on the top 10..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week