What are you reading ?
  • I'd say this thread was begging to be born. I recently completed Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men. McCarthy is one of my favourite author and I was disappointed at first with this novel: the aging author is no more the incredible prose stylist he was in Blood Meridian (a fantastic 'western', highly recommended) and his other books, he now writes in a much simpler way that's hard to believe is the effort of someone who's elevated English prose to his level, but by the end my appreciation changed. Not one of his best, but still good and very moving.
    Now reading the latest from arguably the finest contemporary French novelist, Richard Millet. If anyone is curious, I'd suggest they try 'Ma Vie Parmi les Ombres' (My life amongst shadows, for a literal translation), a great novel.
  • If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell
  • I just read All the Pretty Horses, now I'm reading The Heart of Darkness, I also have absolute justice
  • I usually read 2 books, one random interest book and one book related to software development or programming. I just finished up the Mythical Man Month by Fred Brooks and am reading Blood of the Fold Terry Goodkind, which is part of his Sword of Truth series.

The series suffers the same problem as many others, in that the main character is too powerful, but I like how Goodkind still comes up with interesting challenges for the hero to face that his current assets don't completely overwhelm. Basically, the books aren't predictable, which is nice.

When I read, I usually limit my reading time to one chapter for each book a day, or if the chapters are short, then I just read through chapters until I've read over 20 pages. This is so I don't just spend my whole life reading books all the time. Don't get me wrong, I think reading is one of the best things you can do to stimulate your mind, but you don't want to become quixotic.
  • Sam's Teach Yourself C++. Been teaching myself programming for a while. Before that I read all the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer , I think that is how you spell his name. I would HIGHLY reccomend Artemis Fowl. It is a great story following a young mastermind named Artemis Fowl who attempts to steal gold from fairys. It sounds kinda weird but it is the best book I have ever read. It grows into a world that gets really deep. Artemis' trikkery and schemes will BLOW YOUR MIND. There is like 4 or so books in the series.

It's pretty good..... :shock:
  • I am reading Franny and Zooey by J.D. Sallinger, and re-reading Moby Dick, by Herman Melville.

Afterwards, I will read Catch 22 again, because it is my favorite book ever.
  • I recently read all the pretty horses and I was very impressed.

I like Cormac's stripped back prose, drifting plots and characters that don't speak unless they have something to say.

I'm currently reading the Orphan's series by Robert Buettner, on the second to last book, Orphan's Alliance. This is a Starship Troopers inspired space war romp that is a bit light on the character development, but the Sci Fi aspects are fun.

I am thinking of re-reading Fevre Dream by George RR Martin (Of a Game of Thrones & the Aces series fame) as it's a good vampire novel, and after seeing the absolutely brilliant film of my year Let the Right One In I've got a hankering for good vampire fiction (as opposed to Twilight - besides, Twilight is real, isn't it? :wink: ).

CRC
  • I just finished reading the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card. I highly recommend this series to anyone with any interest in science fiction. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide were a little dull for me, but this is one of my favorite series as a whole.

Right now I'm reading all the short stories that Card has written in the Ender's Game universe. This shouldn't take long.

Next I'm planning on reading the Sprawl trilogy by William Gibson. I've heard good things about it, so I figured I'd check it out.
  • I just finished reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley for school. It was a pretty decent book, and reminded me a lot of 1984. It's also getting made into a movie that is to be released in the next year, so that's a plus too.

On the side I'm reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I just recently started rereading the whole series, because Harry Potter brings back so much nostalgia for me, and is one of those books I can read that makes me happy.
  • The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. It's for English class.
  • I'm not reading anything right now but I would recommend:

[spoiler:d9b01b24a0]image
    image[/spoiler:d9b01b24a0]
  • I'm about half way through reading Moby Dick, I've had to put it on hold for a while but it's not going anywhere. I believe I'm getting Dune for christmas, which is hopefully going to be an awesome read.
  • well I'm not much of a reader (I'm trying to but I really have an hard time finishing book). But for the time being I'm reading watchmen (again). I also might receive a book or two for christmas I do not know which one so I'll keep you inform
  • DarkAssassin236 said:
    I'm not reading anything right now but I would recommend:

[spoiler:283982781e]image
    image[/spoiler:283982781e]

I started to read that daniel x book, it just seemed really weird so i stopped. Im guessing it gets better but I havent put much time into it.

I started a new book for English called "Drawing a Blank". Its actually suprisingly good. Its about a boy who is obsessed with comic books who is sent to boarding school by his dad who becomes "kidnapped" (I put this in quotes cause i dont know if he has actually been kidnapped or hes just mentally insane yet). So far its really good, and based on what i have read so far i would reccomend it, especially to a comic boo/ artist fan.
  • Sandwarrior said:
    I'm about half way through reading Moby Dick, I've had to put it on hold for a while but it's not going anywhere. I believe I'm getting Dune for christmas, which is hopefully going to be an awesome read.

Dune (the original) is an awesome read.

Remember, fear is the mind killer.

CRC
  • I just finished reading Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Foer. Fantastic book, I must say. The author does some really cool extra-literary stuff, like leaving blank pages all of a sudden. Easy read, great story.
  • Just finished reading Ender's Game and Speaker of the Dead (both by Orson Scott Card) for the FIRST TIME!.

Hopefully I'll get around to Xenocide soon, but I have a butt-load of assigned readings to finish. Like stacks and stacks.
  • My mother-in-law got me a rather interesting book.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

A parody of the original tale adding zombies and other excessive things to the story. My hopes are high on this one.
  • reading "The Argument from Injustice: A Reply to Legal Positivism." by Robert Alexy for my exam .

really interesting book.
  • colossalhavoc said:
    Just finished reading Ender's Game and Speaker of the Dead (both by Orson Scott Card) for the FIRST TIME!.

Hopefully I'll get around to Xenocide soon, but I have a butt-load of assigned readings to finish. Like stacks and stacks.

just wrote a review on Enders game, Be sure too read Enders Shadow, (follows the story of bean)

im reading Percy Jackson & the Olympians Books, ready for my next review :)
  • colossalhavoc said:
    Just finished reading Ender's Game and Speaker of the Dead (both by Orson Scott Card) for the FIRST TIME!.

Xenocide is sort of really shitty. Go with Ender's Shadow (and the whole Shadow series) instead.
  • I'm reading the novel Survivor, by Chuck Palahniuk. It's about someone telling a story into the black box of a plane he is crashing. It's very cool and interesting, about halfway through now.
  • i just read, Mechanicum a book set in the Warhammer 40.000 universe a bleak futuristic future where the mindset is like in the dark middle ages
  • I just finished The Lost Symbol. Meh. The ending was even more bullshit then the other 2 novels involving Langdon and I just didn't get nearly as excited throughout the story. Maybe I am getting older. Overall quite dissapointing, I found. The "villain" was pretty cool though.

I am also about to finish my first Star Wars novel, Rebel Dream, which is part of the New Jedi Order series from the Expanded Universe. I have never read a novelisation of a franchise like Star Wars so it is kind of a new experience reading something that was originally made for the visual nature of film.
    I am unfimiliar with most of the characters, and the ones I know from the Star Wars films are much older and have done stuff in the meantime I dont know about. Not the book's fault though. My fault for not starting with the first book from the series.
    I don't find myself too intrigued by this book, I have to say. While I would enjoy reading a couple more Star Wars books in the future I dont feel like I have to know more about the Universe and its characters. A lot of the Star Wars lore seems to be recurring all the time too. Everyone switching to the dark side and back again, new galactic empires springing up, crisis after crisis ... I dunno. Let's see how this book ends.

I am also half-way through a book called Three Bags Full (my German edition is called Glennkill). It is a charming little book about a herd of sheep trying to figure out who killed their beloved Shepherd. So far it has been a really enjoyable read.
  • I finished Survivor. I liked it a lot but I didn't think it was as good as something like Fight Club or Choke. I'm now starting Invisable Monsters by the same author, so far it seems like typical Chuck.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week