[2009] Most Surprising Game
  • [center:1bc9ccf7d5]image[/center:1bc9ccf7d5]

Because this award is totally based on your own expectations of a game and how it succeeded them, it's impossible for us to compile a list of games for voting. So this will be another write-in award.

Vote by posting below and tell us which ONE game you were not expecting to be so good.
  • Brutal Legend so surprised how much it blows! so dissapointed :(
  • There were several games that surprised me this year with how much I liked them. inFAMOUS was one, WET was another. Borderlands was more fun than even I expected. But in the end, after having a poor PAX showing for me and being at a point where I was going to skip it, Torchlight sucked me in when I finally bought it. For $20, you can't go wrong.
  • It's close. Im not big on open world, and I hate Western RPG's...but Infamous and Dragon Age really shined through this year. Gonna have to go with....Dragon Age Origins.
  • Dragon Age: Origins!
  • To those who say Dragon Age, I wanna say, I TOLD YOU SO ... maybe not you personally, but I have tried to tell people about Dragon Age for the past year, and everyone was like ... "huh whats dat?" It's a friggin Bioware RPG, developed as spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2. Helllooo, ofcourse its gonna be awesome ... where is the surprise in that ... jeez ...

Anyway, for me it is Plants vs. Zombies. I was quite surprised at how much content the game offered, how fun it actually was, for its price.
  • Borderlands surprised me the most. Before it came out I didn't think much of it. Then I started to hear some good things about it. Finally I bought it and loved ever second of it.
  • Claptrap. I mean.. Borderlands.
  • X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Totally surprised me by how decent it was. I wasn't expecting much at all.
  • Batman Arkham Asylum
    I expected it to be a piece of crap cash-in comic game like "Iron man" or "Spider Man".
  • Totally with Karnage on X-Men Origins: Wolverine
  • inFAMOUS I expected it to be pretty lame when i first saw it. lightning powers? how lam. Then i saw previews for it a bit before it came out, and i loved it.
  • Dragon Age: Origins

I was going to skip this game because I didn't have a powerful enough PC so I didn't care about it for one second. Once the game launched and people were loving the game on console, I went and picked it up and I had the best RPG experience of the year and can't wait to go back and play it again!
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum for me.
  • Batman Arkham Asylem - Truth be told, the game looked great before it came out so it wasn't REALLY much of a surprise. However... This is a Batman game. There has never been a good Batman game before so no matter how good it looked or how much the previews praised it, I was expecting the worst. Was going to buy it either way due to The Joker looking and sounding so fucking good from the videos. But holy shit! A good Batman game! That is a huge surprise imo. It's a solid game alround, shame it had little to no replay value though.
  • Demon Souls
  • Batman Arkham Asylum, I was not really interested in the whole Batman universe, and my friends let me borrow this game and well let's say I nearly shat my pants, from how much I enjoyed it.

The most surprising game this year. :)
  • So far Final Fantasy 13. As someone who has hated most of the more recent games in the series, this one is really doing it for me.

Other than that, Borderlands was so much better than I thought it would be. It looked good and I was always planning on getting it, but it just sucked me in so much more than I thought it would.
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
    like many others I thought this would be yet another crappy movie-based game, but I went out and got it based on word of mouth on the forums here. It did not disappoint.

As for people saying Dragon Age surprised them... I'm with Plankton on this one. Really? I mean.... Really?? It's a WRPG made by the same people as Baldur's Gate and NWN. This thing was born and bred for sheer awesome from the get-go.
  • Sok said:
    inFAMOUS I expected it to be pretty lame when i first saw it. lightning powers? how lam.

What?! Lightning powers are the best powers anyone can have!
  • tallchick27 said:

As for people saying Dragon Age surprised them... I'm with Plankton on this one. Really? I mean.... Really?? It's a WRPG made by the same people as Baldur's Gate and NWN. This thing was born and bred for sheer awesome from the get-go.

I hate WRPG's, that's why me liking it is a surprise.
  • It;s Batman Arkham Asylum for me. Firstly, I was surprised just how good it was, and secondly I didn't know Batman was a detective! I don't know a great deal about the Batman story, but was totally engrossed in finding the interview tapes and character profiles
  • I really have to say that Batman Arkham Asylum was a true surprise for me. After generating so much buzz I picked it up on release in a fervor, which rarely happens with me.

Plants vs Zombies also was a big surprise for me as I can't usually stand Pop-Cap but they somehow nailed it with this one (and Bookworm Adventures)
  • InFamous came out of nowhere for me and a lot other people and I think this game deserved some props from the public
  • Im going with Batman I mean who really expected that game to be good before its release, no one that's who.
  • I will say Batman: Arkham Asylum. I wanted it to be good, but was worried that it would not be. It was not only good, it was fantastic.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week