[2009] Best Fighting Game
  • [center:b4f8b2be44]image[/center:b4f8b2be44]

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
    Release: Jul 30, 2009
    Platform(s): 360, PS3, PC

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger is a 2D fighting game featuring 12 hand-drawn characters and an online battle mode.

Dissidia: Final Fantasy
    Release: Aug 25, 2009
    Platform(s): PSP

Reunite with a cast of familiar characters and enter a realm torn between two deities, Cosmos and Chaos.

The King of Fighters XII
    Release: Jul 24, 2009
    Platform(s): 360, PS3

The King of Fighters XII is the first KOF game in almost a decade to feature a complete visual overhaul.

SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny
    Release: Sep 1, 2009
    Platform(s): PSP

The weapon-based fighting franchise makes its way to the Sony PSP featuring 20 unique characters, expanded character creation, and multiple gameplay modes.

Street Fighter IV
    Release: Feb 17, 2009
    Platform(s): 360, PS3, PC

Ryu, Ken, and a host of others get back to doing what they do best with Capcom's Street Fighter IV.

Tekken 6
    Release: Oct 27, 2009
    Platform(s): 360, PS3, PSP

The next installment in Namco's popular 3D fighting series is coming to the 360 and PS3 in fall 2009.
  • I bet people can see my vote coming from a mile away.
  • Chip said:
    I bet people can see my vote coming from a mile away.

Yeah me too. Should be obvious. All hail the king, SF4!
  • Hmm, it's a bit harder for me because I know SF was the king, but Blazblue was very good for being a new game and the online - after the day 2 patch - is flawless except for the most absurd connections. Plus Taokaka is so much fun to combo with.

Chances are I'll drop a vote for SF though >.>
  • Sssargon said:
    Blazblue was very good for being a new game and the online - after the day 2 patch - is flawless except for the most absurd connections.

You have to remember that Blazblue isn't out in the EU. So the near flawless connection wouldn't have been that hard seeing as it's just US to US.
  • Chip said:
    You have to remember that Blazblue isn't out in the EU. So the near flawless connection wouldn't have been that hard seeing as it's just US to US.

I guess you're right, but the US still has quite a bit of distance between EC and WC. And a lot of fighting games with lag are bad even with rather small distances between them, because the netcode or whatever is just poop. The main point is that the connection is really ridiculously good for an online game and considering it came from a smaller company while these bigger games have worse lag was really surprising to me.

Another thing I forgot to mention in blazblue's favor is that over SF all the characters have a lot more options so you often feel like you aren't trapped as easily as you would be in SF. The Barrier block with pushes farther and stops chip damage is really nice. Nu and Arakune manage to still make the game really griefy if they're playing lame though, despite the huge mobility of a lot of the characters.
  • SF IV was quite fun. Dissidia is an absolute blast. But I have to go Tekken 6, flawed as it may be, because the core mechanics are still so fun.
  • Street Fighter IV! It was the only fighting game I played this year, but damn was it fun. Go Cammy!
  • I have to go with Dissidia: Final Fantasy, simply because of my almost obsessive love of beating Cloud to death.
  • Oh how I wanted King of Fighters XII to take this...but god dammit did they blow it with that game. :(

My vote goes to the true king of fighters this year: Street Fighter IV.
  • Man I wanted to choose Dissidia but I've been playing Tekken 6 for so long, gotta love it.
  • While it's no competition when SFIV is in there, i'm still surprised that MvC2 didn't make the list.
  • Veri7as said:
    While it's no competition when SFIV is in there, i'm still surprised that MvC2 didn't make the list.

We didn't add it because it was a remake. Same reason Okami didn't make last year's Wii list. Or Banjo Kazooie on the best downloadable game.
  • It breaking my hart to see dragon ball getting no love. I know it’s an obscure game but still, I don’t just think or believe, I know Dragon Ball Raging Blast is the fighter of the year.
  • SF VI will win this no doubt, but my vote goes to BlazBlue. It didn't get the very strange amount of media attention that SF did, but it's easily the best fighter to come along in years.
  • i suck at fighting games but i loved Dead or alive for ps2 all those costumes you could unlock was fun
  • Epke said:
    i suck at fighting games but i loved Dead or alive for ps2 all those costumes you could unlock was fun

This is for 2009 not 2000. Seriously, that game was released NINE YEARS AGO.
  • Definitely Street Fighter IV, I've never really got into a Street Fighter before this, and damn. She's nice ;)

I'm really glad this drew me into the franchise, and now I need to go back and play the earlier games.
  • Street Fighter 4 was such a great game to play with my friends. Music + friends + beer +, street fighter 4 = good times
  • Easy vote for me - the balance, art style, and even the LACK of lobbies makes SF4 the best fighting game in years.
  • SF4, but no Kratos, so I want to go with Broken Destiny. But of course, I wont.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week