[2009] Best Racing Game
  • [center:d2a4441475]image[/center:d2a4441475]

DiRT 2
    Release: Sep 8, 2009
    Platform(s): 360, PS3, PC

Dirt returns with improved physics and visuals, head-to-head online play, and new social features to engage the racing community.

Forza Motorsport 3
    Release: Oct 27, 2009
    Platform(s): 360

Microsoft's acclaimed customizable racing series is returning for another lap on the Xbox 360.

MotorStorm Arctic Edge
    Release: Sep 29, 2009
    Platform(s): PS2, PSP

The offroad racing festival returns to both PSP and PS2.

Need for Speed: Shift
    Release: Sep 15, 2009
    Platform(s): 360, PS3, PC, PSP, BlackBerry

The Need for Speed franchise returns as a racing simulation.

OutRun Online Arcade
    Release: Apr 15, 2009
    Platform(s): XBLA, PSN

SEGA's classic arcade racer returns: experience multiplayer OutRun via Xbox LIVE Arcade in stunning high-definition for the first time!

Trials HD
    Release: Aug 12, 2009
    Platform(s): XBLA

Trials HD is a motorcycle racing game available for download on Xbox LIVE Arcade featuring more than 50 tracks.
  • Shift. Not as good as, say, Carbon, as it was more sim-like, but still fun.
  • Forza Forza Forza! A perfect blend of casual to realism, and you can have EITHER or BOTH. Absolutely fantastic for true gearheads, and assists can be turned on to hit that sweet spot if you're not insane about cars. I found my happy medium. Did you?
  • Need for Speed: Shift! That game is so much fun. The cockpit cam is fucking fantastic - getting blurry at high speeds, the camera shifting around as if you're actually there whenever you brake or take a turn, the animation of the dude shifting gears, everything just makes the game so real and intense. I've been a huge Need for Speed fan ever since I played Need for Speed: High Stakes back on the OG Playstation, and this is my favorite one by far.
  • Need for Speed: Shift is some of the most fun I've ever had with a racing game.
  • Forza imo.. I can't say I enjoyed any of the other games for more than 10 minutes (ok, I didn't play Trails but still... No-one has said anythign about it so it couldn't have been good enough to recommend anyway)
  • Sunflower said:
    Forza Forza Forza! A perfect blend of casual to realism, and you can have EITHER or BOTH. Absolutely fantastic for true gearheads, and assists can be turned on to hit that sweet spot if you're not insane about cars. I found my happy medium. Did you?

Sir, I enthusiastically concur with your excellent assessment.

My fiance's an engineer and I'm just into fine-tuning things so we both love it! And the multiplayer arcade matches make for a good casual time-waster on snow days.
  • Feel bad voting when I haven't played every game, but I think a wise man said it best when he said Forza! Forza! Forza!

All things to all people, deep, complex, fun, challenging and beautiful to boot. What's not to like?
  • Shift. I just love it so much.
  • Need For Speed. I'm not sure what it was, but it just felt different from any other racing game I've played.
  • uh nfs shift cuz it was like a copy of grid and that game is the shit

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week