[2009] Best Role-Playing Game
  • [center:6fa2513b81]image[/center:6fa2513b81]

Demon's Souls
    Release: Oct 6, 2009
    Platform(s): PS3

Demon's Souls is an action RPG which pits you against the forces of The Old One as you fight to save humanity from extinction.

Dragon Age: Origins
    Release: Nov 3, 2009
    Platform(s): 360, PS3, PC

Dragon Age: Origins is an RPG based on a brand-new fantasy world.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
    Release: Sep 29, 2009
    Platform(s): DS

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is a role-playing game set in the Kingdom Hearts universe and will feature Roxas and Axel in both single-player and multiplayer missions.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
    Release: Sep 14, 2009
    Platform(s): DS

The acclaimed Mario & Luigi series returns with another hilarious action role-playing game. Join the Mario Bros. as their travels take them far and wide.

Torchlight
    Release: Oct 27, 2009
    Platform(s): PC

You risk your life to explore the thriving town of Torchlight.
  • Extremely difficult choice here. Want to give love to both Demon's Souls and Dragon Age. Torchlight isn't bad either. Ugh! What to choose?
  • Lots of good RPGs this year, but Dragon Age was clearly "worth the wait." I hope you made the right choice GE!
  • I settled on Dragon Age. I've put more time into it than Demon's Souls, and have played it pretty consistently since getting it. :D
  • I had to go for Demon's Souls. I tried dragon age and I tried to get into it but it just wasn't happening.
  • Star Ocean: The Last Hope

• Dragon Age, it deserves it.
  • It's hard to choose between Dragon Age: Origins and Borderlands. Borderlands is soooo much fun, but Dragon Age is one of the most epic RPG's I have ever played. I'm just going to look at Borderlands as a Role-Playing Shooter - my vote goes to Dragon Age.
  • I have to go with Demon's Souls here, Dragon Age: Origins did not do it for me.
  • I got to with Torchlight it's a really solid game and have pets to sell your stuff :).

anyways Cya
    TRFS
  • I've got to go with the game that has the deepest story and characters.

DRAGON AGE

I loved some of the other titles mentioned here but I wish we had more pure RPGs like the good old days.
  • mcslimz said:
    I've got to go with the game that has the deepest story and characters.

DRAGON AGE

Same reason. I had huge expectations for Dragon Age and Bioware delivered.
  • totally going for demons souls since my dragon age keeps on crashing and the game is bugged too much.... but if my dragon age was working i would vote for dragon age cause its fricken awsome.... but i demons souls is still an amazing rpg.
  • Dragon Age has too many technical problems and is a bit too generic fantasy for me, but I still enjoy it a lot. Demon's Souls gets my vote over it though, the random co-op, invading other peoples games, the soundtrack and visual presentation, all tickle my fancy. And I love that it's so punishing.

FF13 is looking like it's going to eat a lot of my time though. I'm really enjoying it so far, and almost everything about it has been screaming quality. It's probably going to end up being my favourite RPG of 2009. The fact that I'm writing that shocks me, in a good way.
  • I think I will go with Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. I know what your thinking, a tales game...what that? Or, that wasn’t released in 2009. Well your half right, in North America and Japan it was released in 08 but in the Europe and Australasia it wasn’t released until 09...oh come on, it counts, it counts. Hey if Layton 2 can count than this can.

And by the way, where is the DS/PSP poll. If you don’t give it a poll of it’s own than it has to compete with the AAA titles, witch is just not fair.
  • The Star Ocean remakes for PSP.
  • Lantis said:
    The Star Ocean remakes for PSP.

Oh man, I completely forgot about those. I thought Second Evolution was the only one released this year. Either way, those were a blast; even more so than Dragon Age. But they're remakes, so I don't know if they really deserve being counted for me. And anyways, I voted Dragon Age already. XD
  • This damn vote tears at my very soul.

Demon Souls I love you, but I really have to pick Dragon Age in this category because that is where my roots lie. I was raised on Baldur's Gate and this just brings back those memories and is an amazing game to boot!
    Congrats Bioware for successfully using another 100 hours of my life.
  • Borderlands bitches!
  • I gotta say, Dragon Age Blew my mind. The story, voice acting, combat and nostalgia from the old Boulder's Gate reeled me in. Second place would go to Demon's Souls though
  • The only RPG better than Dragon Age this year was Risen by Piranha Bytes so I go with Risen.

[spoiler:2d273ce4eb][/spoiler:2d273ce4eb]
  • Is there any other game on here that did something new? I feel that Demon's Souls took a chance and definitely hit its mark. Even more surprising is that it had absolutely NO advertising and took both the media and gamers by storm. Simply Amazing.
  • I voted for Demon's Souls. I haven't been that entertained by an RPG in quite some time. Even though it is ball-stompingly difficult.
  • I'm loving Torchlight. It really taps into the Diablo nostalgia.
  • Dragon Age. Mario&Luigi come at a close 2nd.
  • Dragon age, easy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week