[2009] Best Strategy Game
  • [center:8cb54be710]image[/center:8cb54be710]

Brutal Legend
    Release: Oct 13, 2009
    Platform(s): 360, PS3

Jack Black plays a rock 'n' roll roadie in Double Fine's long-awaited follow-up to Psychonauts.

Empire: Total War
    Release: Mar 3, 2009
    Platform(s): PC

The Total War series takes to the seas with 3D naval combat in this 18th century strategy game.

Fat Princess
    Release: Jul 30, 2009
    Platform(s): PSN

Overthrow the opponent's army, plunder their castle, and save the princess in Fat Princess.

Halo Wars
    Release: Mar 3, 2009
    Platform(s): 360

The development team behind the Age of Empires series brings Halo to the RTS genre with Halo Wars. Set before the events of Halo 1, the game lets you lead human armies in their first battles against the Covenant.

Plants vs. Zombies
    Release: May 5, 2009

Plants vs. Zombies is a tower defense style game in which you use a variety of plants to defend your home from zombies.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
    Release: Feb 18, 2009

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II is the full sequel to 2004's bloodthirsty sci-fi real-time strategy game, set in the Warhammer 40K universe.
  • King Arthur the roleplaying wargame and Hearts of Iron III is missing. Anyway, hail to Empire: Total War! 8)
  • I had to vote other and go with League of Legends. I would have picked Heroes of Newerth, but it's still in beta.
  • I actually enjoyed Plants Vs Zombies more than Brutal Legend...that's where my vote is going.
  • Easily DoW2 for me. Too bad Tales of Valor wasn't more of a game than a few minor additions. Oh well.
  • I think the only RTS I've played this year (other than Company of Heroes, of course) was Halo Wars. I really want to try Dawn of War II, but I game on my laptop, and since I can't even play Company of Heroes at full graphics, I'm not so sure I'd be able to run it smoothly.

So yeah, Halo Wars gets my vote, even though I didn't really enjoy it all that much.
  • Plants Vs. Zombies. Half my Business Law class plays this game. Unfortunately most people in there are pirating it.
  • I hate RTS's and I loved Fat Princess, so my vote goes to Fat Princess.
  • Dawn of War 2, bitches.
  • Fat Princess, only RTS (if you can really call it that...) I've spent more than 3 hours playing
  • Cloudenvy said:
    I hate RTS's and I loved Fat Princess, so my vote goes to Fat Princess.

Rawr I paid for it (<3).<br />
    Brutal Legend is on the list.. awww...
  • My vote goes to Devil's Survivor for the DS, naturally <3
  • Warton said:
    and Hearts of Iron III is

You should probably talk to Plankton, you two are the only people I know who play those games.
  • Actually I didn't play Hearts of Iron III because it was too complicated for me. I just know that the franchise has a huge fanbase and I am sure it came out this year.

PS: Anyhow this forum unfortunately is very weak in strategy games. Plants vs. Zombies and Fat princess as a strategy game?? Come on guys, these are indie games not strategy. I just wanted to point out that there are several other REAL strategy games which came out this year. It seems that the guy who made this list wasn't very familiar with the genre.
  • I vote for Empire. I was pleasantly surprised that it finally brought more complexity to the Total War games. It is a more challenging game over all. And it looks gorgeous. My personal best Strategy game of the year.

Chip said:
    [quote=Warton]and Hearts of Iron III is

You should probably talk to Plankton, you two are the only people I know who play those games.[/quote]
    Saighdear too.
    I have not touched Hearts of Iron 3 though. I will buy it soon though. Just waitin for a deal.

warton said:
    PS: Anyhow this forum unfortunately is very weak in strategy games. Plants vs. Zombies and Fat princess as a strategy game?? Come on guys, these are indie games not strategy. I just wanted to point out that there are several other REAL strategy games which came out this year. It seems that the guy who made this list wasn't very familiar with the genre.

You gotta bear in mind who we got as members on these forums. Ofcourse Fat Princess cant compete with strategy heavy weights like HOI3, Empire, or Tropico 3. However, what is the point if including something like HOI3 when no one on here has actually played it. At least Brutal Legend and Fat Princess have an audience here and people can talk about it. Also, don't forget that there is always the "Other" option when voting.
  • I understand that, and you are absolutely right. But it is very sad or let's say uncomfortable for me to see Empire competing with Fat princess. For me these games can hardly fit in the same cathegory. That's all. But I agree that "hardcore strategy games" have its own fanbase which is separated from the mainstream.
  • Fat Princess! Not only was it fun, but it was so original and hilarious! Where else can you sabotage the other team by making the princess too heavy to carry?
    Wait...now I'm getting an idea for the new Mario Rescues Peach game...
  • I really enjoyed Halo Wars. It's the best RTS I've played on a console and while it is simple, its very accessible and fun. I wish we had a bigger online community playing the online.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week