[2009] Best Independent Game
  • [center:cafcfbae11]image[/center:cafcfbae11]

Auditorium
    Release: Nov 13, 2009
    Platform(s): PC, iPhone

Auditorium is about the process of discovery and play. There are no right or wrong answers; there are many ways to solve every puzzle.

Flower
    Release: Feb 12, 2009
    Platform(s): PSN

Guide a petal through a dream world and experience an emotional journey in Flower.

Machinarium
    Release: Oct 16, 2009
    Platform(s): MAC, PC

Machinarium is independent adventure game developed by the makers of popular web-games Samorost and Samorost2.

The Path
    Release: Mar 18, 2009
    Platform(s): PC

A short horror game loosely based on the tale of Little Red Riding Hood, but with a punk aesthetic.

Splosion Man
    Release: Jul 22, 2009
    Platform(s): XBLA

'Splode yourself out of flammable situations in this action side-scroller from Twisted Pixel Games.

Zeno Clash
    Release: Apr 21, 2009
    Platform(s): PC

Zeno Clash is an action fighting game set in a punk fantasy world.
  • I loved every single moment of Flower.
  • Flower easily takes this, and then floats onto another world.
  • FlOwer because it's my go-to game.
  • The Path. Like flower it was more of an experience than a game. Very relaxing yet quite creepy at times too. I loved it and still go to it when I'm bored.
  • Torchlight
  • My vote goes towards The Path. While from a technical perspective it is quite underwhelming, it was able to emotionally move me quite a bit. The story telling is obscure and bizzare, which allows for a range of interpretations. The game spawned a huge amount of discussion among gamers who treat this medium as more than "just games". I think you can call The Path a piece of meaningful art.
    And because of these reasons I think The Path should be considered independent game of the year, although there are many other ones that would also be deserving.

Torchlight is not an independent game.
  • Splosion Man , pretty simple multiplayer game to play with friends. Very fun
  • FUCK FLOWER in the OZARKS.

Have to show my support for The Path here, as well as Machinarium. Both definitely have what it takes to be a sleeper indie hit and they deserve the publicity because they have gone above and beyond any other games on this list.
  • My vote goes to The Maw. That game was just fun and relaxing :)
  • i made a game with zombies in it
  • I was gonna go for flower but then I realised:

It's not that good.

Voting for The Path. Me loves me some goth/punk aesthetics : o

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week