Listener Homework: Promised technology
  • This week's Listener Homework (which would love a sticky this week...Yuzo...) is about promises that went undelivered, or were totally, awesomely fulfilled by either games or game companies, as well as hardware companies. Nominate your big fuckups and your big kickass promises that were delivered.

Personally, for me, the one that drives me nuts was the fucking PS2 when it first came out. I saw a lot of shit from Sony, talking about what they were going to do with the hard drive. "It will allow you to download new levels!" that's fine. Even though it didn't go far, it scratched the surface. Where it failed, though, was... "You can download user-created maps in Metal Gear Solid games!" Bullshit. We're just now seeing the ways to download maps on a console, easily, and that's not with the goddamned PS2. It's with the PS3. There were a fuckload of things touting DVD as being able to do so much more than just hold 4+ gigs of data. I remember Sony talking about the PS2, connected to the internet, giving you TEXT MESSAGES and PHONE CALLS FROM SOMEONE WITH ANOTHER PS2 when they had made it to a new area on an espionage game that is being played EVEN WHILE YOU ARE AT WORK and organizing people and all sorts of shit that hasn't happened. Also some Tekken 4 talk... "Imagine being in a ring of people, and each person in the ring has their own moves and will fight you! You can have 20 on 1 battles!" Read the fine print...Tekken Force Mode was bullshit, and a far cry from everyone having their own moves. Fuck you for that one, Sony and Namco.

Big fuckup goes to Sony on the PS2 hype, back when it was being hyped.

Promises delivered? I'll go with Epic and Microsoft for drop-in drop-out co-op gameplay in Gears of War. It delivered. Also, a followup, Crackdown also did. So hell yeah Microsoft, you delivered on what you promised there, and that counts for a lot.

Sounds like I'm a 360 fanboy, but that's not the case. I care about the games (and Tekken 4 was an unbalanced piece of shit) but I am what I am.
  • one word....fable...need i say more for not delivering

also where is the most downloadable content for any game ever from guitar hero 2
  • I'm sick of FPS dominating consoles, I mean, I enjoy FPS games quite a bit but there's WAY too many, we need a variety of games and I know there isn't just FPS games but I could be happier if there weren't as many.

Oh, and the community surrounding popular FPS games(Halo, CS Source, Gears of War) are all assholes. Well, most anyway.
  • Veri7as said:
    one word....fable...need i say more for not delivering

also where is the most downloadable content for any game ever from guitar hero 2

WHAT ARE U TALKIN about . FABLE was a sweet game, and prolly one of the most innovative games for its time, they might not have been able to do everyhitng they wanted but Id say that that was more due to hardware/Xbox equipment capabilietes and not on the game itsself, so im gonna have to dissagree on than one.

My biggest dissapointment is that blizzard fucked with me by saying they were coming out with Starcraft Ghost, and I was all super excited for it cause it was a FPS and 1/2 rts all in one and i loved starcraft, and then 2 years later they canceld it like the year before it was gonna come out it was frikin stupid.

Also X-box messed up big time inh not upgrading the teamspeak abilites for xbox live, i mean how hard is it to make it so u can actually understand what people are saying, dumb , which is why anyone who has any money uses skype when their gamin it sucks for us poor people .
  • keyransolo said:
    I'm sick of FPS dominating consoles, I mean, I enjoy FPS games quite a bit but there's WAY too many, we need a variety of games and I know there isn't just FPS games but I could be happier if there weren't as many.

Oh, and the community surrounding popular FPS games(Halo, CS Source, Gears of War) are all assholes. Well, most anyway.

Explain the broken promise there to me. and Cridec, Fable promised a LOT and didn't deliver for a lot of it. It was awesome, yes, but it definitely did not deliver on it's promises...not by a long shot.
  • Sony's horrible about that. Heck, remember how the PS3 is supposed to take your existing movies, "age them" over the global PS3 Cell network, and then after they're "aged" let you watch them in high definition? Besides the fact that nobody has any clue what the hell that even means, I doubt it'll ever happen. Not to mention the dual HDMI ports and other crazy things that didn't make it into shipping hardware.

But really, the promised technology that ultimately failed us the most came from the 1950s. I want my jetpacks and flying cars, dammit.
  • But really, the promised technology that ultimately failed us the most came from the 1950s. I want my jetpacks and flying cars, dammit.

you daaaaaaaaamn right.
  • Cridec said:
    [quote=Veri7as]one word....fable...need i say more for not delivering

WHAT ARE U TALKIN about . FABLE was a sweet game, and prolly one of the most innovative games for its time, they might not have been able to do everyhitng they wanted but Id say that that was more due to hardware/Xbox equipment capabilietes and not on the game itsself, so im gonna have to dissagree on than one.

My biggest dissapointment is that blizzard fucked with me by saying they were coming out with Starcraft Ghost, and I was all super excited for it cause it was a FPS and 1/2 rts all in one and i loved starcraft, and then 2 years later they canceld it like the year before it was gonna come out it was frikin stupid.

Also X-box messed up big time inh not upgrading the teamspeak abilites for xbox live, i mean how hard is it to make it so u can actually understand what people are saying, dumb , which is why anyone who has any money uses skype when their gamin it sucks for us poor people .[/quote]

fable promised us things that won't even come in fable 2...i agree i loved the game but this topic is about not delivering on promises...and fable dropped the ball big time
  • Stickied, though we didn't have time to mention it specifically in the episode we recorded tonight since we were extremely short on time (seven voicemails!).

My biggest disappoint this year was the promise that Guitar Hero 2 was going to have the most downloadable content out of every 360 title that's out right now. They released just 3 song packs of GH1 songs at a huge price, and then stopped.

Bastards.

Yw
  • I wonder if anyone remembers the Phantom.....
  • The PSP...

I was so hyped at launch. I still have like... 5 pre-launch magazines in my cloest about the psp. It could do this... It could do that... There are 69 different colours... A keyboard peripheral... After the web browser update in 2.0 or 2.5, it pretty much stopped with new features.

The PSP homebrew scene is massive and successful with awesome apps because thats what the psp should have done.

The PlayStation has such a massive trend in broken promises. Makes me worry about my position as a sony fanboy.

---

Nintendo on the other hand, I think they're awesome with promises. Even if they were flops (e-card reader, gameboy camera, gameboy printer) they still delivered.

I want my wii health pack...
  • I've just got one thing to say: where the hell is my virtual reality?!
  • yuzo said:
    Stickied, though we didn't have time to mention it specifically in the episode we recorded tonight since we were extremely short on time (seven voicemails!).

My biggest disappoint this year was the promise that Guitar Hero 2 was going to have the most downloadable content out of every 360 title that's out right now. They released just 3 song packs of GH1 songs at a huge price, and then stopped.

Bastards.

Yw

That's four now. :) But I didn't expect OLD content. Even if it is new to me.
  • Biggest disapointment? No lightsabre game yet on the wii yet.
    Biggest fulfilment? Drop in co op
  • Sloth said:
    The PSP...

I was so hyped at launch. I still have like... 5 pre-launch magazines in my cloest about the psp. It could do this... It could do that... There are 69 different colours... A keyboard peripheral... After the web browser update in 2.0 or 2.5, it pretty much stopped with new features.

i second your opinion.

i actually regret getting a psp, even though it was a gift. i had the choice between a psp and a bigger ipod (which i got for my birthday anyways, engraved with my name and everything) i immediately said psp, so i got it and daxter, which i think is the only good game that i have even seen for the psp, plus the extra content it unlocks in jak x (which tobin should try, its like mario kart, with bigger guns, faster cars and a not bad story.) i cant even find my psp, which i also have worms ( good for 5-10 mins) and sid meyers pirates (one of my dads favorite pc games, now portable, graphics not bad, never played yet.) and i dont care about it, exect for trying to emulate old game on it. im actually more worried about finding my charger cord for my ds, which has been dead for the longest of times. damn, i was a waste of money, even if it wasnt mine.
  • Ps3. . . i thought more games would be out by now. . . (sigh). . . .but lair's comin out soon yay!!!!!!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week