To cell shade or not to cell shade
  • just a debate on wether you like cell shaded games or normal games better.

id say that i like some cell shaded games like 13 and Legeng of Zelda windwaker but it can get annoying
  • I can handle some cell shaded games as well. I could play and watch JSRF all day and not get annoyed. I think JSRF was one of the first games that actually used cell shading. The way JSRF looked was really a part of the game. Nowadays, developers that use cell shading such as DBZ or Naruto games only use it as a cheap way out of graphics design. If the cell shading isn't a real part of the game, then it gets annoying.
  • CarpeDeezNutz said:
    I can handle some cell shaded games as well. I could play and watch JSRF all day and not get annoyed. I think JSRF was one of the first games that actually used cell shading. The way JSRF looked was really a part of the game. Nowadays, developers that use cell shading such as DBZ or Naruto games only use it as a cheap way out of graphics design. If the cell shading isn't a real part of the game, then it gets annoying.

I think pretty much all that you said is wrong in my eyes. Well, first up, JGR was the first game to use it, technically. Naruto and DBZ games are cel-shaded to look like the animation, and I don't think that's a way out of graphics design, I believe that's a conscious choice by the developers to try to get it to look like the animation or manga. I'd also say there's never been a game I've played where I felt it really shouldn't be cel-shaded, as it doesn't kill the mood often. Sonic Shuffle was, though, but it just wasn't a problem--it's just a design aesthetic.
  • cell shading fits well with games like dark chronicle
  • Windwaker pulled off the cellshading style beautifully. Zack and Wiki looks like it's going to be great too.
  • Cell shading is a very unique way to portray a story that you want to look like it would be something to watch. Take Okami, it portrays a great story with a unique way of looking into the way you can manipulate the world around you. Pretty flowers flowing behind you, amazing battles with your brush, it gives developers an ability to get a great story across to the viewers while they are playing. Wind Waker went with cell shading so it could better show the face of Link and his many expressions. I found myself laughing while playing Wind Waker just watching his reaction to things. People who say Cell Shading isn't a good technique or just a shortcut isn't thinking through an argument, different techniques or stories require different tools to get the job done.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week